New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default New Frontier IC I - Shadow and Sand

Armaril, Beredin, Aaron, Kessel: "Land ho!" From your position on the deck, you can hear the elation in the voice of the sailor in the rigging above. You cannot see the coast of Arrakesh yet, but it seems to be close. All around you, the crew of the Windcutter rushes about, securing barrels and strapping themselves to the main mast with ropes. Your knees nearly buckle as another wave rocks the ship. The water has been getting more choppy over the last hour or so. In the distance, you can see the unmistakable anvil cloud formation that heralds the arrival of a storm.
    "I would secure yourselves or get below deck, if I were you. It seems the Nine themselves are opposed to our arrival." The speaker, a youthful, dark-skinned man in a fine tunic and leather boots, smiles at you ruefully. He carries a dagger on his hip, and looks at home on a ship, but he is only a passenger like you.
    "The captain looks worried that we won't make it in time."

Old-Steel: A wave of energy runs through your body, jolting every metal ligament and surging up the composite plate that is your skin and armor. You feel your fingers curl and uncurl for the first time in millennium. As your body adjusts to the change in chamber density, the door to your mind opens. Flashes of memory from another age: a dimly lit laboratory, full of vats and pieces of heavy machinery. A circle, covered in runes and lit by green lightning. Finally, an immense pyramid of obsidian, slowly sinking beneath the sands as the landscape crumbles. Years of recorded data, all streaming through at the same time. You can feel your very essence stretched out to nearly to breaking point. After a time, the images begin to fade. As you adjust to your newfound, largely memory-free sentience, you notice that you are in an angular chamber, made of a dark metal and lit by soft green light. You are lying on a slab of the same material. However, one of the walls has collapsed, revealing a cavern passage beyond. From behind the dust and rubble, you can see a score of faces, staring at you incredulously.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-05-25 at 10:14 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: New Frontier IC I - Shadow and Sand

Old-Steel stands up, though very stiff and unnatural-looking. He tilts his head at the faces, but staying silent. He glances around the room for a moment, then returns to the faces.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

The oldlooking grey haired man nods towards the man. He did understand that the land and the gods would not accept him. Still he hoped they could land safely and feel the land under their feet. He hated the sailing, he hated the feeling of the ship. This journey had been hell to him. He needed to change the bandages multiple times. He did have some money left luckily. Hopefully enough to sponsor his search and find that certain healer.

Thanks for the advice, though I almost know for sure that my stomache would not mind it if I died, nor would my body at this moment. From the start it was apparent that sailing was not my mode of travel. If you all can excuse me. With those words did Aaron leave the group ,uncertain if he would ever get to land. He took the rope he borrowed from a couple of sailors and tied himself to his bed.

Let's hope I won't die. Let's hope the gods do give me another chance.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kassad

Kassad stares at the approaching storm. His lips ress together, concern crossing his otherwise unlined face. A ship desperately trying to make a port before a storm? That's a classic! Finally, a real adventure, like the stories!

Kassad's frown dissolves, replaced by the start of a confident smile. He checks his spellbook in it's oilskin sheath on his left hip, and the two daggers he bought off that woven merchant on his left wrist and right thigh. Convinced everything is tight and as it should be. He turns to the man with a growiv excitement.

"Can I help?"
    Last edited by Roguenewb; 2012-03-24 at 11:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Kassad, Beredin, Armaril: Even as Aaron leaves to go below-decks, you can see the storm approaching. The flashing silver of the water against the oncoming black paints a terrible picture, and in the midst of the clouds, you can see lighting. After several seconds, you can also hear the roar of thunder. The young man, as he secures his life-line to the main mast along with the others, laughs at Kassad's question.
    "There isn't much we can do now, only pray that we make it through alive."

Aaron: As you descend, you see several sailors making their way above. They do not want to be caught down here if the ship capsizes, it seems. One elven sailor is virulently sick, leaning over one of the rails to hurl the contents of her stomach back into the raging swells. After about a minute of climbing and balance, you find yourself at your bunk, and successfully secure yourself to it.

Old-Steel: "What is it?" The laborers seem genuinely puzzled at your awakening. Several are afraid, although they do not leave. One of them, a painted elf, seems to be in charge. She approaches you carefully.
    "Do you speak the common [language]?"

Spoiler
    Show
    For the purposes of the game, let's say Old-Steel can speak Common (although an archaic variety of it). The two dialects are somewhat interchangeable, although until your character fully picks it up, some of what NPCs say might be lost in translation. We'll call your dialect Archaic, for fun.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-05-25 at 10:16 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

6. - Top - End - #6

Kassad

"Okay... if you're sure. I guess I'll go below." Kassad says with a bit of sadness tinging his voice. Taking one last look at the growing storm, Kassad swallows down a bit of regret and a growing amount of fear before jogging off towards the entrance to the under parts of the ship.

7. - Top - End - #7

Armaril sighs heavily with frustration. "Well, Whitefeather, should we get out of the weather as best we can?
    "
    He asks the brilliantly white bird perched on his shoulder.
    "No, I think we should go to the top of the mast and stand there like a lightning rod!" The bird cracks back,"Of course we should get some shelter!"
    Armaril snorts and shakes his head, pulls the hood of his cloak up over his head, and wanders towards the aft of the ship, and tries to tuck in under an overhang as much as possible. He briefly thought about heading below decks, but quickly remembers the lecture at the beginning of the voyage about the risk of capsizing in a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusMFD View Post
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    One of the most interesting Derailments I've ever seen!
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

Smiling as the young man says to pray. Beredin laughs a little as he looks towards him.

In a light hearted tone, Beredin says to the young man,
    "Why is that when times look meek there is always someone telling us to pray? Perhaps we should have prayed a little more before we set sail and we wouldn't be in this predicament?"

But before allowing anyone to answer, Beredin gives a slight bow and moves away from the edge of the ship, securing a seat a little closer to the middle of the main deck.
    Last edited by Holice; 2012-03-24 at 11:04 PM.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Beredin: "Perhaps the gods aren't listening?" The man (introduced at the beginning of your voyage as Lumeer) is trembling as he takes a seat on the planking beside you. He seems quite unprepared for his end.
    "If you make it through and... if I don't, could... could you deliver a message for me?"
    From his tunic, he pulls out a letter. It is sealed in wax, although the insignia has been somewhat smudged.
    "Please... bring this to Lord Djoser, at the Temple of the Nine in Haifolex. He... he will know what- " He is cut off as you hear a fateful crack. The mast begins to break, as the wind howls more strongly. The sailors are in a full-on panic know, desperately securing themselves to anything that will keep them afloat. Lumeer begins to pray, but his pleas are short lived. He is soon dragged, kicking and screaming, by what would have been a lifeline, wrapped around his waist, as the mast is ripped right off the ship and into the dark depths of the ocean. The Windcutter is collapsing. As you look around, you see a massive wave, taking hold of the ship's frame. The last thing you see before you pass out is the coastline, several miles away, illuminated by lightning.
    Spoiler
    Show

The ship is pretty much sunk already. The events above apply to all four of you. Obviously, I am not going to kill your characters off just yet, but I would like a post from the four of you as to your character's last split-second reaction to their very apparent death.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

10. - Top - End - #10

"Frack!" Armaril curses in Elven as he sees the main mast snap. "Fly Whitefeather, Fly! Land on something floating in the water that you can hang onto in this hellish weather if my spell doesn't work! I'll meet you on land!" He screams as he runs to the edge of the ship, already going through the motions of summoning a celestial porpoise to hang onto in the water.

Spoiler
    Show
    Concentration check: DC 16: (1d20+7)[26]

He is relieved to see that his spell has actually worked, and dives in and grabs hold of the newly summoned creature. "Take me in as close to land as possible in the amount of time you remain here!" He instructs the porpoise in Celestial.
    Last edited by Hbgplayer; 2012-03-25 at 01:40 AM.
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

He feels the ship shaking and turning. Just as his stomache makes another turn, he hears the creaking and shaking sound. He hears it coupled with the cracking of wood, it sounds again like the cave. He puts his hands over his head and goes instinctively in a fetal position.

I will protect you, as long as you carry me I will protect you. Those are the last words as he feels the ship being ripped in pieces while he is still tied to his bed.

Lewis Carroll

12. - Top - End - #12

Old-Steel look to the elf, he ponders for a moment, as if he doesn't know the answer. "I do." He continues to flex his fingers and other small joints getting used to them.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

13. - Top - End - #13

Kassad

Kassad is sitting on his bunk reading his well worn copy of his favorite book, The Travels of Jain Farstrider, when he hears the shouts, screams, and the thunderous crack of the main mast snapping. Kassad sits staring for a second....I have to get on deck!, Kassad realizes with a start. Quickly, he throws his book into the top of his pack, closes it, and throws it across his shoulders. He starts into the hallway to head to the surface of the ship.

He gets past a handful of doors before realizing people might be sleeping or trapped or....something below decks. For a second he debates with himself, whether to go for the deck or look for people. Light blast it... Kassad starts throwing open doors and looking into rooms, looking for anyone who doesn't know/needs help to get on deck.

Just a little bit longer.... Please don't sink, please don't sink, please don't sink....
    Last edited by Roguenewb; 2012-03-25 at 11:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

Standing up to receive the letter from Lumeer, Beredin makes no more than a step before he hears it. Looking around, deck hands seem to be frantic, and any assurance that Beredin had of a safe journey quickly diminishes.

Watching the mast completely break free of the ship and go over board, he see Lumeer going over with it.

Shouting "No", Beredin makes a futile dive for Lumeer but all is for nothing, as he slips, and falls far short of helping anyone.

Turning over on his back, he sees the wave that will engulf the ship and ultimately himself. "Well I never thought it would end this way", he says aloud, "Let's hope I've done enough good to atone for all the bad....."
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Armaril: As the beast appears from the Celestial Realms, you leap on its back, managing to hold on as you flee the sinking ship. Even above the storm, you can hear the futile cries of the sailors and the other passengers as a monstrous wave crashes down upon it, tearing it apart at the seams. Fortunately, you are rather close to shore, and you can already feel the tide as it drifts towards the Arrakeshi coastline. Your porpoise makes it far, and it only takes about a minute for you to make your way into the shallows. You can see the remains of the ship, broken into sections of flotsam, drifting slowly towards you. It seems as though there is some hope for the others.

Old-Steel: At the mechanical popping of your limbs, several of the workers cringe, muttering amongst themselves. The leader silences them with a gesture. She turns to you, her face marked with a combination of awe and terror.
    "My name is Kade. I am the [manager] of this facility, a [private] mining operation. Who or what are you?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-03-26 at 04:59 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

16. - Top - End - #16

Old-Steel replies. "I... do not know who or what I am. What are you?"
    My Homebrew Signiture.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Awakened by a feeling of something poking him he suddenly wakes. He looks in the beaks of a couple of seagulls.

Go away I'm not dead, go find another meal. He shouts while looking around. When he tries to get up he rocks the piece of flotsam he is lying on and falls into the water. Splashing he is suddenly completely awake. He feels the burning sun on his head. While he climbs on the piece of wood he notices that it's his bunk that he is lying on. He also notices the rope, which he used to tie himself up, still around his chest. He grabs his bag and uses one of his daggers to cut himself out of the rope harnass. He watches the direction where the gulls flew at and starts peddeling, hoping that the land would be there.

Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #18

Through the mental link with his familiar, Armaril sends an impression of where he is to Whitefeather, hoping to save the bird from the raveges of the storm. Imeadiatly after, he scans the rough sea to see if he can spot any fellow survivors of the wreck, and on the chance that there are survivors that cannot see where the land is, he casts Flare into the air, to help guide people to land.

Spoiler
    Show
    Concentration Check: DC 5 (or 10, if there's hail and such): (1d20+7)[24]
    Last edited by Hbgplayer; 2012-03-26 at 12:03 PM.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Aaron, Beredin, Kassad: As the Waverunner collapses, you all manage to find your way onto flotsam as it slowly drifts towards the shoreline. Above you, the storm still rages, although after several minutes it begins to calm down somewhat. By the portents of the clouds, it seems as though the worst has passed. All of a sudden, you can see what looks to be a flaming signal, illuminating the coast less than a mile to the west. You can see Armaril waiting on the beach, his raven alighting by his side.

Old-Steel: The group seems somewhat mollified by the lack of hostile reaction so far, although several of them still carry expressions of fear.
    "We are miners. We dig the dirt for valuables, like [ores]. We live nearby, in the [town] of Haifolex, and have been [contracted] to dig in the area." They begin to explain their process, using a magically charged explosive to open up caverns and test for structural weaknesses, before setting up support structures and designating high priority areas.

Spoiler
    Show
    I will use the square brackets for words that are not programmed in Archaic. Once your character learns what they mean, they will be replaced by the word.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-03-26 at 04:56 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

20. - Top - End - #20

"I do not understand, what is a '[unknown]'?' He looks around the room for anything familiar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Referring to the first [unknown].
    My Homebrew Signiture.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Seeing the flash, he knew he was going towards the right direction. Reaching the beachm he only needs to walk about half of a mile before he would reach the area where one of the other travelers would be. Hopefully the signal would not attract other people than the survivors. Even though he could surprise them with his fighting prowess, or if the need would be, with the lifesucking magic he called his own. The only thing that repressed his illness, at this point.

I will be free, finally freed from this. Now only to find the healer.

He moved with his slow but steady speed, untill he reached the man that had apparantly fired that thing in the air.

Spoiler
    Show

Spellcraft to identify the spell cast by the person on the beach: (1d20+6)[24]

If you would prefer rolling for this the next time 3secondcultist go ahead :).

You also made it to land I see. That makes two for now. Did you see any other survivors or are we the only two? Aaron asks while almost falling down in the sand. He is tired and only now feels the ache of the crash.

Lewis Carroll

22. - Top - End - #22

Kassad

Kassad burst above water, shaking it clear from his face. Two minutes underwater of struggling amid the crumbling underdecks of the Waverunner has exhausted the never-strong young man. He treads water for a second, before grabbing a piece of floating timber.

"Great start to my adventure.... At least I tried I guess...." Kassad speaks aloud for a moment, before spitting more salt water from his lungs, and using a hand to push his soaked hair back from his face.

Now what? Kassad ponders for a moment as the storm pounds down around him. Finally, just before Kassad kicks free of the wreckage on a random course, he sees the burst of light off in the distance. He squints and screws his up as hard as he can, catching sight of the elven passenger from the now sunk ship. He sighs and swallows deeply, then sets off as strong as he can towards the flare, and the shore...
    Last edited by Roguenewb; 2012-03-26 at 01:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

Despite knowing he would die, Beredin was unusually calm, in what appeared to be his final moments. As the world around him was going dark, Beredin used his last conscious thought to pray to Re-Horakhty, and thank the gods for all he had been given.

Suddenly, from underneath a huge barrel and other misc flotsam came rising from beneath him, and so buoyant was the debris that it allowed Beredin to float to the surface. Whether this was Divine intervention or pure luck, he was just happy to be breathing air again.

Looking West, he could make out what seemed to be a flare or light of some sort, on the shores not to far from his location.

"You've been given another chance, no let's get to shore," he said to himself. And he begin paddling with some drift debris that was scattered around the wreck. As he approached the shore, he notices a man standing along the shore, and what appears to be another sitting in the sand.

"Hello there" he yells out, desperately hoping for a bit of assistance as makes his final strokes onto shore.
    Last edited by Holice; 2012-03-26 at 01:38 PM.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Old-Steel: The painted elf elf turns towards you, confused at first.
    "Ores? They're... metals, of sorts, hidden in the earth. They have value, so we trade them for [coins], which we use to [buy] other things." As she speaks and you search the area, you notice what looks to be a large, rectangular depression in the wall opposite the passage. There is a faint green glow outlining it.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

25. - Top - End - #25

Old-Steel goes to the depression, completely ignoring the elf, and inspects it.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, Not sure if I need a search check or not. I'll roll just in case. (1d20+2)[7]
    My Homebrew Signiture.

26. - Top - End - #26

Kassad

Kassad finally makes shore. He drags himself free of the water on the shore in front of The man and the elf that were his fellow passengers. Standing on the sand, he doubles over and begins to retch up seawater. He finally finishes clearing his lungs and gasping for air.

"Thanks for the light. Without it Id probably still be drifting out there. Did anyone else make it out? Oh, I'm Kassad by the way.... Kassad Immel, adventurer." Kassad says cheerily, holding out his hand before the man and the elf.
    Last edited by Roguenewb; 2012-03-27 at 07:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Old Steel: As you approach, the green outline begins to glow brighter. Upon you inspection, you realize that it is a set of inner doors to what looks to be an alcove. When you touch it, you hear a rumbling, and the door opens, revealing a two-bladed sword. The elf wears an expression of awe.
    "What is this place?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Sadly not yet. The elf is a silent fellow though. He has not spoken since I came here. But take a seat, we can wait untill there is no one else coming here for certain. Aaron says, for security he draws his bow and nocks a single arrow, before he lays his bow on his lap.

Lewis Carroll

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

With the help of one last wave, Beredin finally reaches the sandy shore. Spitting in vain to remove the salt taste from his mouth, Beredin walks up to the three on the beach.

"Thanks for the help," he tells them sarcastically, as he breathes deep.

Looking more tired than upset, he adds, "My apologies for the remark, I realize that this is a troubling situation for everyone. My name is Beredin, and I do not believe we ever officially met on the ship."

With that he turns to look back out on the sea, hoping to find more survivors.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

30. - Top - End - #30

Old-Steel takes the sword, and twirls it a bit. "I can use this..." He turns back to the elf. "I do not know I have no, memories." He gazes at the ancient sword. "It is well crafted." He says more to himself than the elf.
    My Homebrew Signiture.