New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: New Frontier IC I - Shadow and Sand

Armaril gulps with the information that Whitefeather gave him. We need to leave, right now! There are 17 more of those creatures en route; it seems to have been a scouting party we just took care of. Come on, lets Go!" He says while huriedly throwing everything salvageable back into his bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusMFD View Post
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    One of the most interesting Derailments I've ever seen!
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Old-Steel: The other miners stare at you again, unsurprisingly. After a long, awkward silence, the two begin to talk clandestinely. However, you manage to pick up their conversation quite clearly in the echoing cavern.
    "Marruspawn? I had heard stories, but I never thought-"
    Why are they appearing now?" Their movements and gestures are erratic, their faces animated with fear. All the while, Kade seems deep in thought. She begins to pace back and forth for a moment, looking away, or at the dusty ground. Finally, she turns to you.
    "Look. I know you can understand some of what we say, and you have proven yourself both competent and somewhat [trustworthy]. We need a runner to get to Haifolex, to give a report of the situation immediately. This facility needs to be evacuated and secured. I don't know what is going on, but we cannot fight monsters like this on our own. Find Lord Djoser. Tell him to send a [squadron] of Sun Swords. Please, we need your help." Her eyes seem to plead with you, although her back is straight and her head high.

Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: Whitefeather caws once, from Armaril's shoulder. The bird seems a little miffed that it has been interrupted. Once it is satisfied that all four of you are listening, it continues in the Common tongue.
    "They will take some time to fully mobilize. Moreover, I saw what looks to be an approaching caravan in the distance. I don't know if the creatures will have a hostile reaction, but I would be willing to bet that they would be in some sort of danger. You can use them as a distraction, and run to the town, or try to save them by taking the offensive." The sun is hot upon you, awaiting your decision.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-04-02 at 12:53 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I will, though I do now know how to get there, or how to find this Lord Djoser."
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!

4. - Top - End - #94

Kassad

"We can't let these hobgoblins attack an unsuspecting caravan! We should help them, or at least warn them of the danger! Maybe they'll have something to help the dwarf or ourselves... Kassad says enthusiastically as the bird finishes. He checks his pack's straps, and adjusts his grip on the unconcious dwarf. "We need to act as soon as possible, before we run out of time!"
    Last edited by Roguenewb; 2012-04-02 at 11:19 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Why should we help them. It's not like it could gain anything for us. It could not let me reach my goal at least. I am here to find a certain healer, not kill guys or save people. I prefer not to even. Especially since it could kill some of you, or even me. Aaron grabs his stuff and throws it over his shoulders.

So give me one reason why we should help them?
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

"I agree with Kassad. If it were us in that Caravan, I'd want notice or aid, so why should they deserve any less when we have the opportunity to afford them that chance?"

Looking towards Aaron, "I can understand if your feelings make you want to look the other way, but I was given another chance," remembering how he somehow was spared from death at sea, "and I intend to fully use my time to do good, even if it means sacrificing my life."

With that said, he gathers his supplies and looks towards Armaril, "Could your bird give me a good heading?"
    Last edited by Holice; 2012-04-02 at 12:18 PM.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

In short you are not thinking clear and giving up your life makes no sense. It's better to go to the town and send in the guards, that's where they are for. I won't lay down my life for others when I have fought so hard to protect it. Besides you all will die, 17 is too great a number. And who says the bird caught them all. But go ahead if you wish. I will take the survivors to the city, do you have anything against this? Aaron asks.

Lewis Carroll

8. - Top - End - #98

Kassad

Kassad nods along with what Beredin says. "Come with us Aaron...even if you can't do it for them, I'm sure they'll be thankful, and I'm definitely sure anyone we have to kill will have loot. But if you insist on not coming...Can you at least insure that the sailors reach the town?" Kassad says. He speaks earnestly, and with just a hint of a twinkle in his eye and voice at the chance for adventure. Despite his eagerness, fatigue is a definite part of his concerns.

9. - Top - End - #99

Armaril appears to be torn with the decision that he is being forced to make. "I would much prefer to help the caravan as much as possible, but I do not think, given the circumstances, that any of us are in any type of condition to fight such a large group of trained fighters, Armaril reasons, looking at the sand below his feet, as if in shame of what he is saying. "If we hurry to the town, which is to the south west of our position, we may be able to rally a group to go out and help that caravan. It shames me to be unable to help the caravan directly, but I do not feel that we are in any condition to survive such an encounter, and we are of no use to anyone dead.
    "That being said, however, if you two insist on attacking that group of hobgoblins, I will accompany you and provide as much back-up as I can. But please, be reasonable and think through what you are proposing!"
    Armaril argues.
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Aaron moves towards the dwarf.

I will bring these into the city, but before that I will see if I can heal him.

Aaron moves towards the dwarf and knacks his fists. He seems to be doing a big medical exam.

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff to see if they believe him: (1d20+9)[27]

I think I can solve this, I have done this before with people. If he can move himself, maybe I will come, but please go ahead without me, maybe they need me more. And take one of the bows, it's safer that way.

And they would be to use of me, if I only had learned the way of necromancy before I needed to kill my master. Still I don't think they will go.
    Last edited by Duskranger; 2012-04-02 at 01:03 PM.

Lewis Carroll

11. - Top - End - #101

"AH! I forgot that he had passed out in all the comotion that happened, here, don't bother with that, I'll use one of these," Armaril exclaims as he reaches back into his bag and pulls out one of his potions of Cure Light Wounds. He then strolls over to the passed out dwarf and pulls the stopper, and carefully dribbles the potion down the fellow's throat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A character can carefully administer a potion to an unconscious creature as a full-round action, trickling the liquid down the creature’s throat. Likewise, it takes a full-round action to apply an oil to an unconscious creature.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

"Then its settled. We three will head towards the caravan and see what we can do to help," motioning to Kassad, Armaril and himself.

"Hopefully your journey is swift and you are able to send reinforcements to aid us", he says as he looks towards Aaron.

And may the gods watch over us all.

Looking towards his companions, "I am ready when you are."
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

13. - Top - End - #103

Kassad

Kassad nods solemnly at Beredin, while holding his belt hilt and spellbook pouch nonchalantly. This is so cool....

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

You're a fool elf, I could've healed him easily. You could've used that potion during the battle. But since it has be done. If the dwarf awakes, they can go. I will go with you and try to keep you alive.

Aaron shakes his head.

Okay, Lyrra, you can equip the dwarf with the weapons found, take the rations and take care that you get to the city. Warn the guards there. These idiots have angered me, so I will see if I can keep them alive. So that they will listen to me the next time. Don't follow us or I will kill you.

These idiots, I will go with them and see them die. I can talk my way out of this, and if they survive they will be thankfull for me, especially if I will help them. So it's like a win win situation for me.
    Last edited by Duskranger; 2012-04-03 at 01:27 AM.

Lewis Carroll

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: The dwarf, after having been restored by Armaril's potion, gets up blearily while shaking his head.
    "Must'a been a bad dream..." He stumbles once, managing to keep his balance. Noticing that he is not alone, he seems genuinely shocked.
    "Who're you? Where are we?" The woman, taking an immediate care for the obviously confused dwarf, puts an arm around him and quiets him down. She has stuffed her pack with rations and equipment from the dead hobgoblins, although mostly the former.
    "Don't worry, help is close by. These brave souls saved us from drowning and death, the Nine be praised. My uncle, for one, will be happy that we got home safe. So, we should be off. I will carry you if need be." She thanks the four of you once again, and with that, the two other survivors are off, traveling south along the beach. The tide comes in quickly, erasing their footprints in the wet sand.

Old-Steel: Kade barks out a peal of laughter at your response, shaking her head.
    "Of course, I'm sorry. I just assumed... I will lead you to the exit myself." With that, she is off. As you follow her through the passages, you can see several other miners. Their clothes are grimy, as to be expected, although you can see a sort of kinship amongst everyone present. Humans, dwarves, painted elves, and several other humanoids of an unknown pedigree are all present, and seem to treat each other with a healthy modicum of respect. The working space itself is quite clean and well organized, for a mine. From the central mining cavern, there are a few branches, and a large exit tunnel. It is there that Kade takes you, gradually climbing upwards through the earth.
    "Blood Fallow Mine was our newest project. In the past, we have been [contracted] to mine out several old tombs and such. Of course, it helps when our current patron tells us what we're looking for..." She sighs, obviously upset at the loss of her worker companions, but continues to walk. After some time, you reach what looks to be an exit. The light of an early morning shines into the breach, and you can see the cloudy sky beyond. The tunnel exit overlooks a large river, lined with rich vegetation and swaying palms. However, the rest of your horizon is filled with the gold-grey brilliance of the dunes of Arrakesh.
    "If you follow the river outwards, to the Blue Eternity, you will reach Haifolex. It should not take you too long, a couple of hours at most." She nods at you, smiling grimly once, before turning back and entering the tunnel.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-04-03 at 07:28 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

16. - Top - End - #106

"Hey, I have three more, so I'm not too worried about it," Armaril responds sharply to Aaron's comment. "Any way, come on. We have a lot of ground to cover to get to that caravan, and if we want to avoid that Hobgoblin camp, we'll have to go even further. And we should probably look for something to drag behind us to cover our tracks," Armaril adds, almost as an after thought, looking around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking for washed up seaweed, drift wood, or anything that can be used to smooth out the sand to cover our tracks: (1d20+2)[15]
    I'm doing the roll, because I would think that Armaril would know if he doesn't see anything, but if you tell me that you're doing it, I'll remove it.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Armaril: You can see a great deal of flotsam that has made its way into the shore. Most of the debris is unusable, but some objects stand out. Of note is a large, heavy section of hull that seems sound. Moreover, there seems to be a chest that has washed up a couple of feet away.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

Looking around, Beredin wonders how well dragging one of the corpses would be in covering our tracks. With a smirk, he quickly shakes the notion from his head and lets Armaril find something himself.

Looking towards his companions, "I'll take point on this. If we do get ambushed, hopefully this armor will deflect an arrow or two," he says as he spits shines a location, but soon gives up as he realizes everything is scratched and dirty from the sand and sea water.

"Let's see how good a pace we can keep up to, as time is definitely of the essence."

And by the gods, time is sure as heck not our side.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Since we apparantly decided to go on this fools errand. Let's make tracks. It does not matter if we leave footprints, I mean the opponents are in front of us and the bird can see if we are followed, or if there is an ambush. The only thing we need to see is if it's possible. And one thing, which I do enforce is never give me healing. Not in healing magic, nor healing potions. I do demand none of your healing resources go towards me.If one of you even tries I will kill you.

Aaron says and starts moving.

Well, any of you coming?

Let's hope they understand it, since this illness befell me I can't survive healing anymore, strange enough. The only thing that heals me is my own touch. It seems like I am becoming more and more undead. Another reason why I need to find that healer.

Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground

Old-Steel nods once, then starts to follow her directions.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: Waves of heat ripple off of the sand. Above you, the clouds are finally beginning to clear, revealing holes of empty sky beyond. The four of you successfully climb the large coastal dune, giving you a commanding view of the perpetual desert expanse. Southward, in the blue distance, you can see the roofs and spires of what looks to be a town. However, the encampment is directly ahead, in the valley below. You can see armored figures moving swiftly, although they do not seem to have seen any of you yet. As you watch, about six of the figures split off, beginning to move southwards towards what looks to be the aforementioned caravan. They are hardly visible, just insects in the golden curtain of Arrakesh.

Old Steel: Your journey proceeds uneventfully, at least for a while. You descend the bank, inspecting the slow, brackish waters of the river. Khand. The name appears in the back of your mind without thought, without invocation. You set off downstream for some time, minding your own business. On the way, you come across crocodiles on the bank, birds in flight, and the abundance of fleeting vegetation. However, after some time, you look up and see two humanoids garbed in red-gold cloth and ornate armor on the opposing shore. They bear their blades and halberds quite casually. You can also hear the cries of others further downriver. It seems as though the Khand is a popular place.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

22. - Top - End - #112

Kassad

"There they are! And look, six of those hobgoblins are going after those people!" Kassad blurts out. He starts off down the dune as fast as he can to get to the caravan ahead of the attackers. He trips, skids, and finally falls, rolling down in a sandy tumble to the bottom of the dune.

Kassad stands himself up slowly, sputtering out dust, and brushing himself off. "Are you" Kassad coughs violently spitting sand onto the ground, "coming, or what?" Kassad shouts, with a weak grin.

23. - Top - End - #113

Armaril gives a little snort and shakes his head slightly, before starting down the side of the dune as well.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Without hesitation Aaron moves down the dune and immediatly drops down and tries to stay hidden at the bottom.

Okay, first the six towards the caravan or are we going after the encampment. It's your choice, but whatever we do, let's do it before they find out we are here.

Lewis Carroll

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

Finally making it down the dune, Beredin looks towards the group. With a whisper, whether because he's trying to keep quiet, or simply out of breath you do not know, "You know," he takes a breath, "it's not easy running through these dunes with this armor on."

Regaining some composure, "We need to deal with the six first, and then secure the caravan and inform them of the danger. Then we can worry about the encampment."

"What do you guys think is the chance of us getting ahead of them to set up an ambush?"
    Last edited by Holice; 2012-04-06 at 08:15 AM.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: Kassad's shout and your collective tumbling down the dune has alerted the encampment to your presence. The hobgoblins are moving quicker now, mobilizing with haste. The leader barks commands in a guttural tongue. You can see the flash of drawn weapons. However, something else is happening in the distance. As the six hobgoblins approach the wagons of the caravan, you see four different figures erupt from the sand. Garbed in dark swathes of silk, they bear curved blades. Catching the creatures by surprise, the ambushers make quick work of the raiding party. It is over in seconds. According to Whitefeather's report, there are about ten hobgoblins left now - and they are coming for you.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

Looking towards the camp as he finishes talking, Beredin notices that their position has been compromised.

"Looks like the encampment decided what we're going to do. Get ready for incoming."

Holding his shield up, and spear at the ready, Beredin looks towards the six hobgoblins heading towards the caravan, and watches as they are slaughtered by some mysterious figures from the sand.

Startled and relieved at the same time, he can only ponder, What were those things, and are we next?

Shaking his head, It doesn't matter either way if I don't get through with this camp first.

"Hope you guys are ready!" he yells.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Knowing that the enemy knew he was there he readied an arrow on his bow and waited untill they would come close enough. Hopefully he would not need to use his magical talents, on the other hand, he knew he could try it if it would be necessary.

Now to see what will happen with them, let's see if I can control them or not. And if push comes to shove I think I am more durable than birdguy.

There are moments you wished you probably listened to me. everyone with a bow, we can probably get two volleys before they are here if they drop as easily as before we can kill at least some of them. I hope to fire two arrows before I will make a tactical retreat if possible. I will focus on trying to give you all cover fire. What will be your tasks. Aaron says determined and ready to go.

Spoiler
    Show

Aaron readies an action to fire at the first goblinoid to cross the 110'line
    Last edited by Duskranger; 2012-04-06 at 01:22 PM.

Lewis Carroll

29. - Top - End - #119

Kassad

Kassad stares at those people who have emerged from the sands to strike down the hobgoblins. Who....

Before he can fall too far behind, Kassad catches himself and springs into action. He casts Protection from Evil on himself (if foes are within 500 feet), and tries to hide in the lee of a dune to buy himself some time, drawing both his daggers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide= (1d20+3)[7] MS= (1d20+3)[4]

30. - Top - End - #120

"Well, so much for trying to get avoid major combat! Whitefeather, I want you to stay here until they get within 40 feet, then take off and stay about 100 feet up, ok?" Armaril says as he loads his crossbow, holds onto it, pointing it at the ground with his left hand, and uses his right to hold his wand of magic missile, ready to fire it off at the first hobgoblin to come within his range (130 feet)
    "You got it, boss" Whitefeather responds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Damage from readied Magic Missile: (1d4+1)[5]
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show