Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure OOC

Just a question as a PbP newbie. If I feel it would help is in good taste to leave a spoiler box full of OoC sutff below my post.
    Such as with my current one. I'm just stating how I am equipped and that I am leaving some point before noon. I actually make sure not to mention a time so I don't end up somewhere I'm not suppose to be.
    I would think it would be but wanted to make sure.
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently Glanror in the Political Shenanigans campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rankar View Post
    *I may not teach the paladin communism and the concept of the greater good.
    *It is not within my rights to overthrow the established monarchy using the communist paladin.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
    Also, I want to apologize, I can't seem to remember to color my speaking consistently (I do go back and do it if I realize I forgot). Hopefully, that will eventually become a habit eventually.
    If I didn't have my husband reading over my shoulder for my first post I'd have forgotten color too...

As for my nickname "Mal" is something I already refer to the character as...

I'll try to keep up with posting, but my internet connection isn't good, and the library is closed Sundays, so if you don't hear from me on that day I'm cussing at the computer and trying to not throw it from a window...any other day if I can't get ti to work by 5pm I'll go to the library...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Suddo: That's fine, in fact it's very helpful. Also since most of the inns are very central (still working on that map) you will probably run into the rest of the party shortly.

Pixieknot: That's fine, very dedicated

Also it seems I write 'that's fine' a lot, maybe I should come up with alternate phrases...
    Last edited by al'Lan Mandrag; 2012-03-27 at 06:04 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

totally just bombed rolling...if Sdream or someone wishes to post my rolls for this section (just +3 to init) and let me know if they can see what I did wrong...I got to get going to work...

Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #35

GreenSorcererElf

Yeah, I ran into trouble too, given how picky the system is, it should really have a button to help you roll.

What I've discovered:
    - have to use [/roll] (forward slash) at the end, not \roll backslash
    - You can only use one bonus: 1d20+6 works, but 1d20+4+2 does not.

What Maliana discovered:
    - spaces break it too

So to recap, it looks like it has to be exactly:
    [roll]XdY+Z[/roll]

@Al'lan you did say we were a group, that means we know each other on sight from previous introductions (even the new elf)?

PS - I think I would know Fade and Mal very well, so I would definitely use nicknames for them. Not sure about the others.

PPS - I also love having maps, I was looking for nice tools to help you quickly generate one for customization, didn't find anything awesome:
    - This site has awesome maps, but you have to register to download full size
    - this one doesn't have enough options, tends to not have enough building size diversity.
    - This one seems too random, and not dense enough
    - This one is much like the last, only with TOO MANY options, and is an installed utility.
    - This java download tool lets you put buildings down and rotate them, but it has a bit of a learning curve, seems to lack random building placement, and is hex based.

I would think if you are busy, grabbing a map from the first link or rolling the second until you get one close to your vision for the city (and filling it in a little bit) would be best.
    Last edited by sdream; 2012-03-27 at 09:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

GreenSorcererElf

What about this one, seems to have some variety of building size. Mark up some slums, name the noble houses, guild houses, markets and we are good to go.

I'd be happy to help, I know my way around gimp. Could get rid of the water, or glom together a couple cities if you wanted, add or remove the special roofed buildings, recolor etc. I think the most realistic city would have only a few very wide streets, the rest much narrower, and many blocks would be set closer together, although towards the rich and powerful section of town streets would be wide and buildings set apart.

On an unrelated note, Selena would have sent her parents at least a couple letters saying she was well, and that she hoped they understood her need to find herself without the family looming over her every decision. (She also would have arranged a bank to repay what she ran off with, along with the first note). She often feels guilty about not writing more, or seeing them, but she is paralyzed with fear about what they might say or do that might make her feel either like a little bad girl again, or like a stranger that was imposing.
    Last edited by sdream; 2012-03-27 at 02:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Thanks sdream, I'll have a little look into this.

And yes you would recognise each other, So when our duskblade appears you ought to recognise him (as part of the back story I thought he joined your expedition). In fact the only person not on the expedition was potentially Malaina (if memory serves), but since she's with you you can always point them out for her.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I'm a bad pixie... I had to change my sheet; seeing the plus zero on spot I knew that couldn't be right and realized that I'd only spent 42 points, so I still had 6. Not sure if I forgot or if mythweavers messed up, I've heard it does that. (I put 3 into spot and 3 into search.) Oh, and just so we're all clear I'm not asking for a reroll or anything, it was just one roll, but I figured everyone should know that my sheet changed a little and why that was.

@sdream; Can I be the pesky critter who delivers said letters?

9. - Top - End - #39

GreenSorcererElf

Last I heard they're hidden on your person.

Rumor has it the last person who went searching around there without permission lost a couple fingers, so Selena feels much safer with them there than in the hands of anonymous street youth #372.

She just really didn't trust handing them over to a solo runner in a city fallen into chaos. A skilled rogue with backup within earshot is a totally different story.

PS - About the skillpoints, did you factor in your negative int mod? I know you said you aren't used to such low scores. Maybe it would be easier to push a point of stat from wis to int. In point buy 9 and 11 costs 4 points, just like 10 and 10.
    Last edited by sdream; 2012-03-27 at 04:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sorry - between work, travel and learning to type on an iPad, I've been slow to post. One reason I hadn't worried to mush was I didn't see where Cal (= ok nickname, Winky not so much ) was with the group. Maybe I missed it, but I figured Cal was out waiting for the parade, if he wasn't with the others for some reason. Lan, let me know where I start. Thanks all!
    Back to normal ... well abby-normal, I suppose
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

@Sdream I meant the letters to your family...I was questioning more how much our characters know/trust each other...

Also...you're right, I did the math wrong...my skill points have been redone completely with new numbers taken into better account...Maybe I've not had any enormous oversights this time...

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

I will be offline for the next 24 hours, unfortunately. Real life has suddenly come upon me and I can't ignore it, as much I would like to, this time. Given that there is no way for me to predict what is going to happen enough to offer a plan for what Phaedrus does. Does anyone want to take actions for me tomorrow, or should I lay out extremely general guideline for you a'Lan?

If someone does want to take actions, please be sparing in using inspiration - I only have 4/encounter. I plan to use the cunning knowledge on diplomacy to break up as much of the mob as possible. If there is not a mob, I plan to apprehend the child and take him before Thevya. Also, I am currently attempting to lose the interest of the alley people, but I don't want to aggress if at all possible.
    My Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew (That I will own up to)
    My Builds (Same as above)
    Spoiler
    Show
    My PbP player registry

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    I'm sure there is nothing nefarious going on in the game originally entitled Political Shennanigans ...

13. - Top - End - #43

GreenSorcererElf

I'd love additional depth connecting the party. The time frame I'm thinking of is about 5 years ago, about 1 year after I ran off to river city. I could have had a scribe send to Phaedrus, who I knew, and he may have asked you to do the delivery. Would you have been in the guild then? Would it have been one of your first guild jobs? Would you have peeked at the letter or asked Fade about it?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

It would not have been a very good beginning to the guild if I were asking questions, and Malaina can hardly read a few words, so undoubtedly she would never bother. That would have needed to be the very first of my guild actions.

15. - Top - End - #45

GreenSorcererElf

Maybe Fade stressed it was a personal task, and you just asked about me afterward.

In any case, the letters were roughly 5 and 3 years ago, and they could be yours if you wish.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Starbin: you can start where ever you like, the party's coming together now, and since Glanror is in the centre near one of the inns, it seems logical to start pretty central.

Jodah: If your inaction is holding back the game then I can step in, but for the moent it seems fine for you to run with the group since you aren't fighting atm.

17. - Top - End - #47

GreenSorcererElf

Speaking of holding back, He did say he wanted to try to sooth the crowd.

Can we get an idea of the environment outside the library?
    Where are the people, how many, what are they doing?

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by al'Lan Mandrag View Post
    Suddo: That's fine, in fact it's very helpful. Also since most of the inns are very central (still working on that map) you will probably run into the rest of the party shortly.
    That's fine, I assume that I should roll initiative due to that?
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently Glanror in the Political Shenanigans campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rankar View Post
    *I may not teach the paladin communism and the concept of the greater good.
    *It is not within my rights to overthrow the established monarchy using the communist paladin.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

sdream: Yep, there wasn't anyone else outside the library, but as you move about I will add those details to the IC threads.

Suddo: yep, go ahead.

20. - Top - End - #50

GreenSorcererElf

@al'Lan - I think we were all under the impression there was a crowd outside. Also I think Fade is leading the rest of us (as he follows the child) to wherever the crowd hypothetically is, so just go ahead and skip to whatever we find:
    - kid trying to bolt (I think only Fade is expecting/caring about this)
    - a lovely ambush (shell shocked Selena is worrying about this)
    - or a group on the verge of some mischief (boy's claims)

PS - Not sure what nickname Fade would use for me, Cell, Eana, lina, Eeenie, Tuna (from Fortuna), Fishies (4tuna), roof rabbit (from the climbing)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Oh, there are gatherings, but the library wasn't a particular hot spot

22. - Top - End - #52

GreenSorcererElf

Fade probably won't be back for a couple hours based on his earlier post, but I'd love to know:

- do we recognize any of the groups or people as anyone with motivations and histories we may understand, so that we can work on getting info and defusing the situation?
    - is Glanror (our other face, if I recall) around this plaza?
    - What kind of guard presence is visible and/or expected?
    - How big are these groups, and how are they armed?
    - Do there appear to be innocent bystanders, or have they all fled?

(edited to make it less creepily co-dependent).
    Last edited by sdream; 2012-03-28 at 04:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

-Some of you (probably Malaina) might recognise members of three of the groups as heavies from the guild (though some aren't necessarily heavies and have other 'specialities').
    -Yes, this is an opportunity for the others to walk into plaza.
    -None, currently, some likely soon.
    -5 groups ranging from 6-12 in number, a few with simple weapons- clubs and daggers but majority with swords-short and long. No ranged weapons other than daggers.
    -No bystanders

24. - Top - End - #54

GreenSorcererElf

@Starbin - Aquarius apparently met us earlier right outside the library (in 'Lan's spoiler), although Glanror and Kalthen might be with you entering the plaza.

(Haven't seen anything from Kalthen in a while, he might have fallen down a well).

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just a question of etiquette: should we or should we not read all the spoilers, or only the ones addressed to us? I know in my live playgroups I will directly respond to someone's question for everyone to hear, but other times I will pass a note, but I don't know which one spoilers are more like. Any guiding principles?

Also, in the game, are these groups rather spread out, or are they close together? Could someone raising their voice a little communicate with all of them, or would I have to visit each group individually?
    Last edited by Jodah; 2012-03-29 at 08:34 AM.
    My Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Homebrew (That I will own up to)
    My Builds (Same as above)
    Spoiler
    Show
    My PbP player registry

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    I'm sure there is nothing nefarious going on in the game originally entitled Political Shennanigans ...

26. - Top - End - #56

GreenSorcererElf

I plan to read all the spoilers, although I'll try to keep OOC knowledge OOC.

If anyone has something private to express, there's a private message feature here that makes that a sure thing.

Oh, I forgot that 'Lan said we picked up Aquarius. His background seemed pretty roguish (but also not like he would join a guild, even of rogues). Does he see any friends among the crowd? - Hmmm just checked his sheet, no diplomacy, no charm prepped. Looks like he's limited to looming and booming atm, although an introduction if he does have a friend in a group Fade doesn't know would help.
    Last edited by sdream; 2012-03-29 at 08:48 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Perfectly fine for you to read each other's spoilers, as long as you keep IC knowledge and OOC knowledge separate. If there is something secret happening I can PM you (or you me).

Any of you with roguish backgrounds will be able to recognise members of 4 of the groups, but the largest group (of 12) doesn't have anyone you recognise from the guild in it.

They are near enough that a shout would be heard by all groups.

28. - Top - End - #58

GreenSorcererElf

Well that's a second group which is at least friendly to us, and claims to follow the guild leader. They must be separate because they want to get rough with the other groups (unlike the first group).

The three remaining groups, is there a location that is less than 30 feet from all three? I'd like to angle our party there so I can attract for Fade on these tougher diplomatic sells, without walking up with him, or obviously leaving our group to do so (psionics with signs suppressed is much more subtle than casting, but walking up first sort of ruins that).

..."+4 bonus on any interaction checks you make involving the subject (such as Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive)."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Tomilin Coursan is the Guild Leader, and Perran Fervon is one of the higher members of the Guild (as is Lissa Thevya).

There are plenty of places 30+ ft away from all groups (it's a large courtyard), but you'd be quite in the open (is there a range you are trying not to exceed?) The groups are about 50-80ft away from each other.

30. - Top - End - #60

GreenSorcererElf

Right, I'm trying to get the party within 30 feet of the groups, so I can be "chatting" with Mal (Rus seems to be with the other group) and be able to help Fade out with an attract (close range) on whoever the leader seems to be, as he tries to convince them to join forces to intimidate the Scuvs into behaving.

I can attract the leader to Fade, which should make them more receptive and willing to talk.
    Last edited by sdream; 2012-03-29 at 01:09 PM.