Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure OOC

poke poke Sqt, question that lady, unless you would prefer to pass it to Seal.

2. - Top - End - #212

GreenSorcererElf

I plan to head there as well tonight, let the priests know that Brother John will want to be the first to hear her full confession, and will likely be wroth if she is taken or killed by another.

Also that if she wishes to leave she should be reminded that she will not see the next knife in the dark coming.

Then I intend to crash for the night and check with Brother John tomorrow sometime, make sure he knows the whole story (as he expressed interest in the death, and would know of Theyva's peers).

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Well, the thing that worries me is that Thevya is part of the inner circle, right? And she's responsible for ordering the death of Benny as well as some unmentionable knowledge that's out there. Now we've drawn attention to ourselves AND reveiled that we are investigating this crime - through Brother Jon (who works for the guild), Maria originally (if she ratted out Aquarius' initial meeting with her), and in person when Fade reported both Benny's death and provided the details of our questioning.

That means Thevya has had enough time to cover her bases with anyone else out there (including the current Guild leader), determine what we know, and prep to take us out. Trusting more guild resources to help us out on this one might not be the smartest move.

Unless I'm confused and missing something ...
    Posting may be distracted for the next few months - I'm in a bit of transition!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

4. - Top - End - #214

GreenSorcererElf

Theyva is heavily using out of guild resources because she is trying to hide her activities from the guild.

Likewise she had the boy killed to keep him from reporting to other guildmates... which Brother John seemed to care about, and not appreciate.

As a well connected guild member, he is in the position to know who would be able to make good use of the secrets Theyva wanted silenced, where we are not.

Basically, by turning on her own, she alienated even tangential allies (us) and now our only interest is to spike her plans, not serve them, and hopefully her guildmates will learn of her perfidity and turn on her as well.

I doubt Theyva would know the depths of our involvement so soon, as she is counting on us taking off out of town for her tomorrow.

That said, returning Maria's bag to her with Crystalina in it might be a good idea, to make sure she doesn't foolishly run right back to her cutthroat boss who no doubt intends to silence her asap.

And we might still want to let Brother John know about the artifact, or just head after it ourselves, if we uncover any details from (now NPC) Fade that make us think it's worth our while.

If we don't turn the guild against her she may use it against us.
    Last edited by sdream; 2012-10-08 at 04:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Woohoo! I love xp!

Now, if I could just learn from it
    Last edited by Starbin; 2012-10-08 at 05:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216

GreenSorcererElf

It's been a long time since chargen, but it appears we rolled hp (my total is one under what it would be for half+1)

As such, for lvl4 I gain (1d4+2)[5]

21+5=26 (I designed a sturdy girl)

Breakdown:

Psion1 +4
    Assumed Psion2 +~3
    Assumed Psion3 +~2
    Psion4 +3
    12hp from 4 psion hd

8hp for con 14 (+2) times 4 hd

6hp from psionic body+up the walls+psicrystal affinity

26hp

I increase my raw int to 18, with my +1int circlet it is 19
    As my int mod is now natively +4 I gain 7 new skill points (human)
    My base will save increases to 4
    My bab increases to 2
    My power points from just being a psion increase to 17
    As a lvl 4 psion with 19 effective int I get 8 bonus power points
    I master two new lvl 2 psionic disciplines

I had 36 skill points from 6*4+6+6, this now increases to 43
    I improved concentration, balance, climb, hide, sense motive, tumble, jump
    (note that my able learner feat allows cross class skills cheaply, but still capped low)

New psionic disciplines:
    Share pain (like shield other) - note that we decided this will not function on psicrystals to avoid a particularly efficient damage absorption method.
    Energy Adaptation - specified - I can get ER of one type for 10min/level

Selena's sheet has been updated:
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=381385

Crystalena's hitpoints increase to 13 (always half mine) and she benefits from my increased saving throw and skill points... otherwise no cool new crystal tricks this level.

EDIT - Share pain is a 4 hour buff if we stay close. It can be a real lifesaver, when one person takes a ton of damage, and the others do not.

How do you guys wish to use it?

I could spend 6 points to set up a cycle between you two, so you both split any damage either receives...

I could tie you both to me, and use Vigor to offset damage you pass to me (but it would require concentration checks), but I would have to stay close.

What are your thoughts? It's not cheap, and it should be set up before hand, but it can be quite useful.
    Last edited by sdream; 2012-10-17 at 01:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sorry, I didn't see the edits on this post before.

First off, character advances
    Spoiler
    Show
    +4 HPs (rolled 3, total 21); +1 BAB (+4 total); +1 Int (16 Int now); +5 skill points (Spellcraft, KS: Arcana, KS: Nature, KS: Local, KS: Religion); +1 Fort/Will saves; Gained Armored Mage (Medium); Learned Ray of Enfeeblement; sheet updated here

Second, the question about protection - do what makes the most sense and is the most efficient use of points. Might make sense to set it up for one or the other to recieve it, so you don't lose a huge chunk of points. I'm hoping that one character isn't completely hosed again. Of course, if I pay attention to my damage (I'm so used to 1st lvl characters) I probably would have taken here out well before I was 1hp away from death

We could probably discuss some tactics, however, for standard reactions to expected situations (alpha strike the big bad ... area effect attacks for groups ... close in to take advantage of reach weapons and any touch buffs/heals needed ... etc).

8. - Top - End - #218

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Second, the question about protection - do what makes the most sense and is the most efficient use of points.
    The most effective use of points requires pretty significant buy-in from all of us.

1 - links snap if you ever go more than 35 feet away, so we would have to be careful not to charge too far ahead or behind the group.

2 - A full cycle loop, Seal -> Cal -> Aq -> Seal takes a little less than half of my whole daily allotment of power currently and only lasts 4 hours (this will improve as we improve in level)

I recommend starting with 6 points to tie the two gishes together, as you are likely to stay in close in melee, and this way, foes basically have to kill both to kill either. I would still have the freedom to run away and nuke at range (as I'm not involved in any loops).

Anyone prefer a different setup, or think you will probably run more than 35 feet from your buddy?

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

No worries from me ... Cal is designed to be a caster/archer protector - with his spiked chain and arcane channeling, he can deliver quite a bit of damage at range, while hitting those who come in with AOOs. At some point, I'll invest in combat Reflexes, too, to increase the opportunities to hit folks trying to close. However, he is not heavy on hps, nor does he have a killer AC (at least not yet), so he's somewhat vulnerable. That's why I like staying near the group (which only become problematic when they start hitting us with area effects.

Let's go with your option for now.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Now that I finished the sheet for another game, I can level Aquarius up. Rollin HP:

(1d8+2)[3]

At level 4, I get access to second level Arcane/Divine spells, yee! I get spell power, tougher DCs, YEE! An ability point YEE!

Since the spellbook is a voluntary self-nerf (Check if you like. Red Mages normally know both spell lists) how many new spells should I get? 1 new spell in general, 1 2nd level Arcane and 1 2nd level Divine?

Also, I forget, were the feats allowed or not?
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2012-10-18 at 02:48 PM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Like the look of the Prestige Bard/Paladin/Ranger, but don't know how best to use them? There's a guide for that.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

One of each seems reasonable.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

My Wizard spell will be Glitterdust, because it's Glitterdust, but I'm struggling as to what my Divine spell should be.

I don't need to pick up any of the following: calm emotions, cure moderate wounds, delay poison, gentle repose, remove blindness/deafness, remove disease and lesser restoration, because they're all on the Healer spell list, which I can convert my spells to spontaneously.

The Cleric spell is driving me nuts. I'm teetering between Dark Way and Infernal Wound. Dark Way as it's the poor man's wall of force, and Infernal Wound because it's Infernal Wound.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Like the look of the Prestige Bard/Paladin/Ranger, but don't know how best to use them? There's a guide for that.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

I got nuthin ... any buffs that look useful?

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Aquarius doesn't have the spells per day to be a dedicated buffer, sadly. I think I'll go with Dark Way.

Or at least, I would if Mythweavers were working.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

15. - Top - End - #225

GreenSorcererElf

To be clear, after discussing with her teammates at the inn, Seal will spend 6 points helping each share the pain of the other.

This leaves her with 19 points for the rest of the day, and this anti-focus-fire protection should last 4 hours if not broken by a dispel or them moving too far apart.

Assuming it's around 8am when they are ready to go visit Fade then check on the temple that leaves it lasting until noon.

EDIT - Long rambling personal aside (mostly to Cal):

Those monkeys sure are fickle.

My wife and I watched Star-Trek Enterprise on Netflix a while back (it's really nice to be able to marathon whole series on demand), and the character of T'Pol left me with a burning desire to play an elf wizard or elan psion.

Allow me to explain.

Vulcans live a long time and have secret powers and knowledge (plus pointy ears) which makes them pretty clearly space elves.

Spock in the original series, and T'pol in this one seem to have adopted a ship full of short lived, crass, but endearing monkeys (humans), and are shepherding them around the galaxy.

I thought it would make for a very interesting character to look down upon the random human foibles of the other party members in a proprietary manner.
    Last edited by sdream; 2012-10-23 at 08:58 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Yeah, Vulcans are somewhat space elvish, although only in settings where they are supposed to be arrogant - some genre's seem to treat elves a little more flighty and chaotic, and Vulcan's are OBVIOUSLY lawful!

I guess that would make Romulans like wood elves (much more passionate and wild), Klingons are Half-Orcs, Ferengi are goblins, Cardassians seem like hobgoblins, Gorn are lizard men, Lyrans & Kzintis might be your catfolk, Borg are golems? I dunno ... just blabbin'

Caladeran has taken to making some inner observations about humanity, but that's more to define his charisma as extreme arrogance, and an inability to deal with most humans in a constructive manner (vice seeing the shortcomings of humans as an impartial observer).

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Not sure if any knowledge checks other than history would be appropriate. Here's a couple that might net some info ...
    KS: Arcana - (1d20+8)[21]
    KS: Religion - (1d20+8)[20]
    KS: Local - (1d20+8)[22]

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Since I finally got round to sorting out Aquarus' sheet.

Rolling for HP:

(1d8+2)[8]

And my prepared spells for today:

Spoiler
    Show
    Wizard:
    Level 1:

Ray of enfeeblement
    Backbiter
    Orb of acid, lesser

Level 2:

Glitterdust

Cleric:
    Level 1:

Deathwatch
    Command
    Summon monster 1

Level 2:

Dark way

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

19. - Top - End - #229

GreenSorcererElf

I had run out of questions, although that's a good one.

Who wants to break the news to Fade about Theyva's ownership of Maria, and her involvement in the scuv activity and Ben's murder?

I plan to tell him to watch his back, and suggest he break contact with her. I also would tell him we wouldn't bring the item back for Theyva, but would try and pick it up for another faction if he thinks it's a good idea.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Cal will figure that Aquarius will do it, since he was doing the interrogation ... but that's cuz he's an unsocial git.

21. - Top - End - #231

GreenSorcererElf

It looks like we are waiting on a response from Fade to the news his current boss betrayed his new runner acquaintance and may e betraying the guild.

Do you need anything more?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Wait ... did I just get put on Team NPC? What did I do?

Yeesh ... guy doesn't make small talk during darts and he gets shuffled off into the Red Shirt section ...

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

You neglected to give Calderan any skill in socal situations. In a political adventure. That's what you did.
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2012-10-29 at 11:46 AM.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

24. - Top - End - #234

GreenSorcererElf

If he's so social skill-less he may also be so ungracious as to ignore your suggestion.

More realistically we should avoid splitting the party, so if we decide to pursue the artifact, we should all go, otherwise, we should all stay.

I think we can wait for Fade's response about Theyva and who we SHOULD work for (maybe Brother John) before deciding.

PS - I love the overlap between Brother John, and the psuedonymous "name" given by those who wish to go unnamed in various illicit enterprises:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostit...nd_terminology

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'm okay with that. It seems to me that with only three active players, splitting up isn't a great idea. I understand that not being included in certain portions of the adventure may be my punishment for failing to invest in social skills. However, the character was accepted by the DM, so it stands to reason that there will be times that social skills take a backseat, and magic/martial/knowledge skills might be worthwhile.

That being said, everyone press on with whatever your character thinks and we'll see how it all plays out!

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

For the record, Cal didn't say anything about charming her - he was just throwing back the comment Aquarius had used. He was just mentioning that if we are not here to tattle, then the threat is moot ... so he's suggesting you give Fade / our other NPC the info so they can keep the threat viable.

No worries, though ...

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

That makes sense. Fade is better off being the "threat keeper" then, as he is a part of the guild.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

28. - Top - End - #238

GreenSorcererElf

I'm not sure how I/Seal turned into such a worrywart.

Must be the high int seeing all the ways things can go wrong and trying to prepare folks for them.

Seal/I will be behind you all the way, looking for anything that may jump out at us.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Since Aquarius seems pretty (over)confident, Caladeran will remain with Fade, collecting information.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Aquarius meant exactly, word for word, what he said. Cal only hit one guard once. Cal was focused on Maria.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs