New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Climbing Mount Olympus (IC)

Over the next few days, Berenike will cast greater scrying (via miracle). She studies Ephyra and the surrounding area ... the temple, the confluence of the rivers, the areas nearby, and taking note of terrain for best encampment/ siege for friendly forces, and noting avenues of movement/ escape of enemy forces. She also notes what enemy force is outside the temple - strength, movements, rotations, etc. She will be sure to share her information not just with the party, but also Alexandros of Lymnos and the other military leaders.

Greater scrying lasts all waking day (18 hours). She'll upset her own circadian rhythym and make sure she recasts to observe nightime movements as well. She will also make sure to attempt to scry the temple itself .... but enemy fanes are notorious for lining the walls with plotium to foil scrying/ teleporting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for that one, Tolly!
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-07-02 at 05:51 AM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

The two weeks seem to drag on intermiably as the throng of men finally finish the reapirs on the ships and with heavy hearts and the fear of those who set themselves against the Gods set sail.

The small fleet following the Queen of Naxos bouyant as they East across the Aegean whilst Odysseus and the others sail South for Sparta. The winds are variable whipping around and lashing the fleet like the scourge of an angry God- which it likley is. The oars out the crew rowing for all they are worth as skeletal beasts of the deep controlled by Cherios tow the ships along even as Berenike stands atop the great figurehead of her namesake Nike controlling and taming the winds to push the fleet ever onwards.

The sky above the fleet always watched by the lightning quick Alceus and the keen eyed Angela; both flying heroes shadowed by the re-animated ghouls or the charming Hestia.

Still shocked perhaps by the death of the great Titan Scylla, or prevented by the words of Zeus the passage is not contested. However troubling for the Queen and her retine are the murky waters and thicks fogs always there as she tries to gaze at the Temple through magical means. No matter how oft she tries to scry on the great Temple of Hades the view is the same. Thick rolling clouds of grey fog with spectral shapes and shadows within. The realkm of death does not easily yield its secrets to the living.

The long voyage nearly at an end the wide river mouth of the Cocytus slowly appearing out of the heavy fog. The mist a dark shadow of the black clouds above. Alceus and Angela are the first to see it. THe perspective all wrong but soon they can realise the size of it.... The Colossus, standing astride the river. The small scurrying of the soldiers of Hades and the recently dead like ants beneath its feet as it stands 300ft tall!

The crews of the boats begin to moan and mumble as fear sets in as they can see the army of the dead lining the river bank. The river slow and desultry stained with the effluence of death and decay...

Spoiler
    Show

You are a good 5 miles away so you've got plenty of time to consider options.

Army looks sizeable (~200 living and ~2000 unliving with the Colossus at the heart of them astride the 100ft wide river.

The Temple is ~5 miles upriver.

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gathering with the other heroes watching over the fleet, Cheiros gazes across the mist at the masses beyond. The movement of blood had long since departed the former priest, giving him a slightly more detached sensibility, but it was hard not to feel despair and terror as they looked on the challenge ahead.

"My queen, guards should be put on the sides of all the ships immediately. The not-dead do not breathe, and in this thick fog, it would be all too easy for a hundred to swarm a ship and overtake it completely.

"In our previous battle, it served us well to focus on one aspect of the enemy at a time. I have a small team of servants of the not-dead, but nothing like what we see assembled there. Clearly, trying to land the men from the ships in front of that force guarding the river entrance is a bad idea. But more than that...

"Perhaps we can use this fog to our advantage? Send the ships around to another of the island's harbours, unseen by our enemies, while we strike from above at that great avatar of death. Again, perhaps the fog will serve us - obscuring our attacks at that great height, and keeping most of that terrible army unable to see us, let alone react."

He shrugged, glancing at Angela and Alceus, knowing that the fog would also do neither of them any favours.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to identify, or at least learn something about, the death-colossus. Also, if they can see any of the undead army, hoping to get a sense of the kinds of undead that have been sent out against them. Knowledge Religion: (1d20+37)[47].
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #304

Berenike says, "Good idea," and commands guards at the gunwales of the ships to watch for boarders.

She then says to Cheiros again, then the others. "Yes, I already thought about that. Likewise, I also am already with you on relocating the fleet. However, I think this might actually be one battle that should not be a battle, but a skirmish ... don't you think, Alcaeus?"

She looks back to the fog. "The sheer power of the Colossus will take our total focus and concentration to attack. Normally, it would be wise to directly target the most powerful. In this case, however, I think it might be better to draw the attacks of their flying undead. Come in, give some nips, and pull out .... likely bringing some of the enemy against us. Most flying undead are deadlier than a normal soldier, and we fly much faster than any undead of which I'm aware. We can control a running battle that separates that force farther afield than is wise and dismantle them.

"Don't look for the quick, resounding kill. Thin the herd. This is now a war, and we must look to the long-term of resources and not just our own hot blood demanding immediate satisfaction."

To which she adds, "Well, those of us who still have blood, that is."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-07-03 at 04:55 PM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Damien looks out at the incomprehensibly large demiurge before him, and he cannot help but remember the shepherd boy that he once was, with hands that had never held a blade, eyes that had never seen death. The armies of the dead before and beneath them seemed to quake and surge with an unwholesome, unholy power, and the sheer scale of the scene before him was almost shocking to behold.

He began to laugh, softly, and he drew his greatsword with a smooth, casual motion, joining the other great warriors and mages in planning the battle to come. "With men at my back and sides, I can take the fight to those armies on the ground. A full charge of competent warriors, led by myself, may be enough to fell those creatures in the initial clash; each man charging with me adds to our collective strength, and we have a great many men to fight beside.

I am not as agile or maneuverable in the air as most flyers, and what I gain by not needing to maintain a forward speed is lost by my lack of agility. That said, I can certainly harry the colossus itself, and if it has its attention focused on me that would leave the rest of you free to call down the sheer power at your disposal unhindered."

He looks to Berenike and Cheiros, respectfully deferring to his elders and superiors with a humble bow. "What would you have me do? I am wise and quick of wit, but I have no illusions as to who is the superior strategist here. Let me be your sword and shield, and bade me do what you believe best."

Spoiler
    Show
    He really means it, and he has absolute faith in the two of you, and in the others, though he does not defer to them.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

6. - Top - End - #306

Berenike says, "Being harried by forces on the ground AND attacking the Colossus AND committing men to an inital assault? No, I'm sorry Damien. I have an intuition that the Colossus will actually be more powerful ... and likely an even more powerful physical threat. Every ounce of us was needed against the Scylla. Sure, we may have had plenty of spells left, but we squeaked by without a casualty.

"Don't let thoughts of 'honor' commit you to your death. Match it with wisdom, and realize that your honor means you have a larger obligation than throwing yourself sacrifically at the thing. Besides, I want to see ... when we probe the defending forces ... what magics the Colossus may have and how mobile he is.

"I think the mobility that Cheiros can provide will have you protect him well. Otherwise, Alcaeus and I would gladly have you with us if we are knocked out of the sky.

"Cheiros, Angela, Alcaeus .... any thoughts on the strategy? We can discuss tactics as we refine."
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307

Posto revealioso!
    Show

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Cheiros closes his eyes, pondering.

"Remember that I was a relatively modest priest in one of a hundred cities. It is quite possible that leading the army will be the high priest himself, a man whose corruption and power are said to be unparalleled. Regardless of who we engage, we will have to be prepared for that colossus to do...whatever it is that it does, and also expect a speedy response from the priests who are likely to be behind the army. This is the same reason why I dare not use my own servants in an assault - it's possible that they would simply be taken and converted to the service of our enemies.

"It is unlikely that we will have the luxury of facing aerial scouts without raising alarms with the rest of the army. Of course, if we do manage to do so, it would be more efficient to lure them over to our side rather than simply to destroy them. But my fear is that any assault we make will draw the most powerful of our opponents to us. Our advantage is that we know that their army has them. They do not know that this army has us."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Alcaeus pipes up, "Listen, the big flick isn't just 'war.' We can't throw these men's lives away to 'create a distraction' for us. At least not yet. I say now that we see some measure of the enemy, we pull the fleet well back and wait for Odysseus and reinforcements. Well back.

"Then, we go in for skirmish tactics. I'm with Berenike on this one .... nip at the heels. And if Cheiros can subvert a few while we're at it? Great. But I'm not built for charging mass combat, and I think that'd be silly, anyway. Time and again, I've seen arrogant warlords try the ol' 'Cut the head off the ... (insert scary thing here).' Sometimes it works, but most times, a focused and heroic strike (read: silly headlong charge) really overcommits.

Even if we're successful, this is just one battle. One. And if we bring the army to bear just yet in this One battle, the losses could be catastrophic. We might win this one, but what about the next?"
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Cheiros nods slowly, absorbing Alcaeus' wisdom. Eventually he turns to Berenike with a quizzical look.

"Is Odysseus expected? I had rather assumed that they were off on some other mission entirely."

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Not ignoring you guys. Just waiting for a stage where you need my input. What is your current thinking for your plan?

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Not ignoring you guys. Just waiting for a stage where you need my input. What is your current thinking for your plan?
    I think there was a large misinterpretation of who was going where, as Toli points out above. Which NPC heroes are with us?

LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

You've got one of the warlords with you but Odysseus and the oters went to Sparta to round up some more kings so will be 2-3 weeks behind you.

Any plans for how to deal with the undead blocking force? Attack, blockade, circumvent?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's an attempt to restate various statements into an approximate timeline. Others will let me know when I get it wrong.

• Pull the fleet back. Depending on how many other ports that this island has (I'm a bit fuzzy on this point), maybe we send a fast ship or two around to explore other options.
    • The PC's form an aerial scouting/harrying team, staying away from the Colossus for now.
    • Convert undead where we can, destroy where we can't.
    • Try to be ready to deal with the attention of high level priests. Blasphemy can be especially problematic, and the easiest solution is often "get far away and then fill them with dozens of arrows," which at least two members of our group are well positioned to do.
    • Repeat as necessary.
    • If their tactics shift, or if there are no aerial scouts that we see, I'm assuming that we would move on to try to strike at the colossus, rather than dipping down and potentially exposing ourselves to the whole army.

Sound about right?

If there's some chance of close combat, it would be useful for Cheiros to NOT have company on the dragon. There are some spells that are short range bursts, and if we end up facing living opponents it would be useful to do the "heal ourselves while hurting you" thing.

Did Cheiros' knowledge check reveal anything about the colossus? It will of course be useful to know, for example, whether 'out of arm's reach' is far enough away.

What kind of visibility is there in the fog? Roughly speaking, how high would we have to be to be not-visible from the ground?

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Alcaeus likes Cheiros' distillation of Berenike's overall design.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

16. - Top - End - #316
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Having been busy doing what little she could to train the other warriors, Angela has fallen silent for the past few weeks, only answering questions when they are aimed at her. With them nearing the new battlefield its time for her to speak up once more.

"Guerrilla Warfare is truly the best option for this battle considering our limited numbers and from what I understand the enemy has many more spellcasters to bring their and our dead to their side then what we have. It would be disastrous for them to not only claim as many numbers as we can slay through the use of their various magics whether they are living or undead.

If we can find a way around them, all the better then a frontal assault. If its possible for use to convert their undead to our side, it will help us as much as the reverse for them. As for the Colossus... I would agree that it would take too many of the 'heroes' focusing on the behemoth that we would be leaving our army for themselves without our back up, or at the very least be drawing the attention of not just the Colossus but the priests or other spell casters as well.

If we can help it, I vouch for using the fog to at least give us some cover from the artillery and maybe even the Colossus. But it will be a double edged sword in that it will also give the majority of the enemies forces cover from those taking to the air as well."
    Last edited by Igneel; 2012-07-11 at 10:20 PM.

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

-Doomraga's Revenge by T.A. Barron

Extended Homebrew Signature

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Cheiros nods.

"With all of the death priests over there, I don't think it's a good idea to try to use our own not-dead, and if Hestia uses her borrowed form there's a great risk that she'll be forced out of it."

The newly-minted fury frowns her disappointment.

"And just when I was getting used to this shape. Well, I suppose I can try to claim another body. I'm assuming you've got a way to keep this prepped and ready for me to come back to?"

Cheiros smiles.

"You know me well. I believe that we can have it pressed and waiting for you after this is over."

He turns to stare out at the army across the water.

"I'll need just a few minutes to bring Cychreides out and prepare a few simple magics. That reminds me. There is a potent enchantment that other priests have used to protect themselves from the not-dead. Berenike, do you know the one that I mean. If you can channel such potent protections, it might serve all of you in good stead. I can do something to help with reflexes. But...unless you've got some reason to hold off, they're not going to be any less ready for us tomorrow."

Spoiler
    Show
    The spell Cheiros is referring to is Undeath's Eternal Foe. Sure, it's only 1 round/level, but it's a pretty comprehensive protection against most of the things that undead are likely to throw at us - until Big Dead starts throwing buildings, anyway.

Should we plow ahead, or wait for our new cast member?

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

The fog hangs low to the surface of the ocean depressing the noise of the waves leaving the rowers quietened and fearful. As the fleet slowly comes to a halt the captains confer with the Queen throgh magical means as whispering winds stir the heavy fog carrying the Queen of Naxos's whispered orders.

Even as the fleet begins to turn, the heavy triremes slipping through the heavy waves and fog. Even as they depart the heroes slowly rise aloft into the air upon wings living and dead.

Flapping through the dark and heavy air. The necromantric energies swirling around seeking to draw the vigour from your veins only Cherios feels any different - enlivened and filed with power.

Above the dark shrouded fog you can see the Colossus, its massive head, eyes burning with dark fire watching you. Rocks as large the dragon litter the ground by its feet, undead camped upon them as dark energies and darker magic begin to form in a wave of evil rising to greet the heroes....

Spoiler
    Show

Figuratively spekaing of course.... Choose your violence now should you wish.

19. - Top - End - #319

The night before, she cast status on Alcaeus, and cast visions of the future on herself.

That morning, she had cast heroes’ feast and everyone (including the undead dragon and Hestia) gets the following:
    *** Immune to fear & poison. +18 temporary hp's. +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and Will saves.

She casts air walk on Damien. The two glyph-spells she casts are cure critical wounds and holy smite. She doesn't know find the gap.

She has the following SLAs already active on her, but only if the opportunity presents itself ... which is not likely given this battle: detect chaos/ evil, detect thoughts (again, not likely), and moment of prescience (which she was able to raise the night before).

As a supernatural power, she has guidance on herself, which she refreshes every minute if an opportunity presents itself.

Just before entry into maximum kill range, Berenike applies death ward (which will last 18 minutes) on the following:
    • Herself
    • Alcaeus
    • Angela
    • Damien
    • Hestia

She casts shield on herself (lasts 40 minutes).

She then casts spiritual guardian ... the sound of hoofbeats begins in the distance and draws swiftly nearer. As though leaping from an invisible charger, a translucent knight, clad head to toe in heavy plate, appears by Berenike's/ Alcaeus' side. The holy symbol of Athena is emblazoned across his tabard and shield. This thing can move as fast as Alcaeus.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Complete Champion, p 127. Lasts 21 minutes.

As soon as she is within 1200', she opens fire on the first mass of whatever she sees ... preferably using initial target against an officer, and preferably living at that if such is identifiable. It takes a tremendous amount of resources to raise a fallen foe so completely that they retain spellcasting (or skill-based) ability. Chain lightning!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Primary target receives (20d6+12)[92]; first 10 points is untyped; remainder is electricity damage. Damage assumes extra +2 damage for evil opponents.

Spell affects 20 seconday targets, but all of them must be w/in 30' of primary target. Damage above = (Primary Target Damage - 10)/2 .... and includes 10 pts. untyped, electricity damage, and assumption of +2 for evil targets.

DC for spell is Ref DC 32 for half. CL vs SR is (1d20+22)[40]; add +5 to target is evil (so effectively CL + 27).

EDIT: Secondary targets take 46 damage. Note that the first 10 points of untyped damage is that which the target receives, NOT 5 points if target makes sense.

CL is effectively 45 vs evil opponents.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-08-04 at 12:12 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Once the others are ready, Cheiros casts a few preparatory spells. Grimly staring out into the gathering fog, he and Hestia take off on Cychreides, spiraling upward to rendezvous with the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Long term buffs:

On the group: Telepathic Bond.

Personal (sorry, most of his buffs are self-only): Heart of Air/Earth/Fire/Water; Anticipate Teleportation, Contingency, Resist Energy (Acid), Foresight, Freedom of Movement, Shield.
    Buffs on Hestia: Death Ward (thanks, LostSole!), Shield, Heroes' Feast, Magic Jar.

As they reach the area above the armies, Cheiros sends a pulse of dark energy through himself and the dragon he rode. As soon as he sees Berenike unload on the forces below, the former Hadean scans through the fog for the flickering images of his former colleagues. Carefully, he selects a glittering cluster of the lights of living creatures, and attempts to snuff it out.

Spoiler
    Show
    If we're starting a thousand feet up, I'm assuming we've got total concealment from anyone on the ground, because of the fog. Cheiros will use Lifesight to identify a concentration of living troops, and target it with a Horrid Wilting. Living creatures in a 60'D circle take (20d6)[72] damage, Fort save DC 34 for half.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Alcaeus, not much use shooting into concealment and definitely not at this height, keeps wary for aerial attacks (including behind, up, below, etc.) from all directions as he flies.
    Current Games

22. - Top - End - #322

BlackDragon

Being sure to re-arrange her prepared spells for this particular battle, Angela graciously accepts what little can be offered her from Berenike and Cherios. Making sure that Damien understood how to use the glyphs, she hands over the two prepared by Berenike over to him while preparing her one of her two with a new find the gap. Before its too late she uses her spare to cast a raptor's sight on it and have Alcaeus activate it to have the effect cast on him before retrieving it to place a cure critical wounds on it.

Along with the heroes feast (turning down deathward as her belt grants her the same effect), she casts raptor's sight on herself as to lessen the difficulties of firing from afar.
    Spoiler
    Show

11 hour duration, +5 comp on Spot checks, Alcaeus and I take only half the normal range increment penalty for ranged attacks (-1 per range increment instead of -2).

Taking to the air and waiting till they get closer as to have more use of her next buff spell, she casts a hawkeye spell before preparing to hail her arrows down upon the colossus.
    Spoiler
    Show
    110 min duration, Range increment for projectile weapons increases by 50% (now 165ft instead of 110ft), and gain a +5 competence bonus on all Spot checks.

Total buffs:
    Heroes Feast
    Telepathic Bond
    Deathward - Belt of the Perfect Huntress (with Soulfire)
    Mindblank & True Seeing - Mask of Huntress Determination
    Universal Energy Resist 30 - Right ring
    Freedom of Movement - Left ring
    Raptor's Sight
    Hawkeye

Drawing back her bowstring, she awaits to see the enemy's reaction to the two devastating magical assaults.
    Spoiler
    Show

Readying an attack on either a flight capable enemy to attack, or the Colossus.

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Damien stands poised on the great undead dragon's back, though to an outside observer there is nothing there. Indeed, the great dragon himself can scarcely detect him, and it is only with superb supernatural power that any of his allies can keep track of him; Damien is hidden not with magic or spells, but with sheer inhuman skill. He stands where he cannot be seen, despite any lack of cover to make such a thing rational. He is poised, prepared to explode out to meet the first foe to threaten his spellcasting companions; in a battle of this scale, it is they that will decide the outcome, not him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide in Plain Sight: (1d20+48)[61]

He is in his Hearing the Air stance, meaning that he has Blindsense out to 30 feet.

Listen for anything approaching through the cover or invisibly: (1d20+40)[54]

It's oddly comfortable being a meatshield. I've never actually done it before, but I don't think I mind it one bit. I suppose it's nice to let other people take the center stage, for once; those who game with me know that I rarely shut up (sorry to you especially, Toli; you've put up with my charismatic casters more than anyone else here ever).

LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Once Angela explains the purpose of the glyph and what it gives Alcaeus, he activates it on himself and then takes the CCW arrow when she gives it back with that glyph.

He also pulls the bow, readying to fire at the first flying enemy ...
    Current Games

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Like avenging angels the heroes lift off the decks of the flagship to a faint rousing cheer from the crews of the nearby vessels as the sails spill their wind and oars backwater slightly as the fleet waits to watch their leaders do battle in the inspid dark and dank fog and its all pervading dread.

The dragon, centaur and winge hero leap up into the air and race towards the distant shore and the massive colossus within. Even as they close the distance - a glittering aura surrounding each one from the mighty enchantments placed upon them they unleash their fury...

The army beneath them spreading out through fog has many towers and engines within and it is several of these massive trebuchets that attracts the fury of the heroes as arcing crackling electric blue lightning rains down from the Queen's hands causing fire to bloom amidst the heavy fog. Moments later a darker swirl appears - a vortex of dark power that spins and spirals inwards drawing all that live to a grisly end as the crews of the adjacent trebuchet are likewise shattered and drained. THeir powdered husks falling to the ground sifting into dust.

Even as their first strike hits home along the armies of the undead and the black armoured soldiers of Hades the enemy responds. A swathe of black fire rising up to greet the heroes as the dark unholy flames envelope you all in a vast roar of fire.

A mighty Dragon glittering with ice and skeletal bones festooned with an elaborate howdah capped with an high cleric of Hades and his bodyguards flapping upwards even as the mighty colossus reaches into the fog and hefts aloft a mighty tree with black stone at its point making a crude javelin.

Spoiler
    Show

The chain lightning and horrid wilting devastat two trebuschets and the ~100 human soldiers tending them in a pair of vast blasts of destruction.

As you're still ~1000ft away from the bulk enemy (from what Toliudar said)

The colossus ~1000ft away has picked up a massive javelin.

A dragon rises out of the fog. Its a colossal undead one with a howdah with a throne on it and 4 bodyguards. Its glitters with magic. It flies to a height of 400ft.

From a mage cadre a vast wall fo fire rises up to wash over the heroes
    (A fancy description for a fireball at each "posse")

All PCs make a DC 19 Ref save or take (10d6)[47] damage half fire and half unholy

26. - Top - End - #326

Spoiler
    Show
    Please roll a CL check vs SR 40 for Berenike.

Ref Save = (1d20+21)[38]
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Damien turns slightly, hidden behind nothing, and he slides into the space between spaces, ignoring the unholy fire of the magical attack as if it was not there. He slides back into what is a moment later, his feet still firmly planted on the dragon's back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex, with Evasion: (1d20+33)[43]

LGBTitP

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Alcaeus jukes and jives to protect himself and his rider.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Caster level check vs SR 30.
    Reflex save, evasion (1d20+29)[31]

Does my evasion in any way help my rider, Berenike?
    Current Games

29. - Top - End - #329

BlackDragon

Tucking her wings in closer to her body, Angela starts rolling to the side. Turning in a graceful barrel-roll, it was simple enough for Angela to dodge the fire spell in all of its unholy flames. What little heat that she felt from its passing presence was cooled quickly some by her ring that graces her some elemental protection.

Spotting the dragon of undeath so very like their own, yet so different Angela starts forming a smile as if accepting the challenge. "It seems they have risen to the challenge."

Spoiler
    Show

Reflex, with Evasion: (1d20+32)[36]
    If I do get hit, I can at least lower the normal fire damage some with Universal Energy Resist 30.
    And of course, with me moving I'm getting some protection from Ranged attacks in the form of 50% miss chance from my Entropic Ring.

30. - Top - End - #330

The magic of the dark cloud is totally ineffective against the Queen of Naxos. And now that a large group of undead has given itself away .... she casts a spell that targets right in the center of the highest concentration of undead that she can discern. A small mote of light zips down hundreds and hundreds of feet, and then explodes in a massive 80-foot-radius (i.e. 160-foot-diameter burst) globe of fantastic sunlight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast sunburst.
    CL check vs evil = (1d20+27)[30], subtract 5 for non-evils.

If not undead:
    * Target blinded and takes (6d6)[24] damage. This is untyped damage, not fire damage.
    * Add +16 points to all evil creatures; pure divine holy damage, not subject to resistances or immunities.
    * Add +10 damage to most dangerous creature seen (normal damage).
    * It shouldn't matter because untyped damage, but first 10 points suffered after save overcomes all resistances, and is separate from holy damage.
    * A creature to which sunlight is harmful or unnatural takes double damage (all damages, of course).
    * A Reflex save vs DC 36 negates blindness and reduces damage by half.

If undead .... all of the same issues as above, but with following changes:
    * Undead actually takes (24d6)[92] damage and is blinded (with all bonuses and other adders as above. Especially important since the +10 points for warmage edge will likely go to the most powerful undead seen).
    *** Ref DC 36 for half damage, and blindness negated.
    * In addition, the burst results in the destruction of any undead creature specifically harmed by bright light if it fail its save.
    * The ultraviolet light generated by the spell deals damage to fungi, mold, oozes, and slimes just as if they were undead creatures.
    * Sunburst dispels any darkness spells of lower than 9th level within its area.

Active Spells and such ...
    CURRENT SPELLS
    * Shield (uncommon).
    * Assay Spell Resistance (given chance).
    * Death Ward (uncommon).
    * Spiritual Guardian (CC-127, uncommon). Does 1d8+17 (+19 vs evil) force damage (first 10 pts untyped/ force). SR ineffecive, no save.

CONSTANT SPELLS & EFFECTS
    SLAs:
    * Detect Chaos/ Detect Evil
    * Detect Thoughts (Will DC 25)
    * Moment of Prescience (8).

Supernatural: Guidance (self, every minute if time permits and other detects complete).

Active Long-Term Spells:
    * status (2, 18 hours): currently only on Alcaeus.
    * heroes's feast (6, 12 hours): Partaken with all of the PCs ... undead dragon and Hestia not included.
    *** Immune to fear & poison. +18 temporary hp's. +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and Will saves.
    * visions of the future
    *** (8, 18 hours; +2 sacred bonus to all saves, +2 dodge bonus to AC, may discharge for +9 of same, 1 rd).
    Show