New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Climbing Mount Olympus (IC)

Likewise, Alcaeus is unscathed after that first assault.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The dragon and its remaining occupants are affected by the gout of flames, but not as much as those below might have hoped. Cheiros looks down at the glittering undead dragon rising towards them, and feels the mix of life and unlife on board. Intriguing. Most of his powers came from Hades, and were geared towards making living things cower and wither. Against other forms of the returned, he tended to either be master...or servant. Not a thought he welcomed.

He watched Berenike's blossom of light envelop those below, and pondered how to help the process. He patted Cychreides on the flank and speaks to him through their mindlink.

"You see, my friend. You inspire others. Let's see how they deal with a little inclement weather."

Pulling a dull grey rod out of his pack, Cheiros gestured for Cychreides to go into a loose circular holding pattern. The former death-priest points the rod down at his former colleague, the better to aim and focus the cloud of gas that appears all around the opposing dragon.

Hestia undoes the strap holding her in place on the dragon, and extends her wings, preparing to launch herself off if needed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cychreides maintains position relative to the other dragon. Hestia readies an action to do a move action towards any opponent who gets close enough to be reached by a move action.

Cheiros draws his rod of Enlarge spell and casts Acid Fog, centered on the dragon. No save, no SR, deals (2d8)[13] acid to everything inside.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

The enemy dragon more or less vanishes within the acidic cloud save for its long wings and tail that dange free even as the acid fog slows down the colossal beast.

Even as that happens in the sky a blast of blazing white light streaks down from Berenike's hands imploding within a dull whump upon the ground beneath.

A vast crater in the heart of the enemy forces is torn out upona vast mushroom cloud of glittering golden fumes that sends a vast pulse of light across the battlefield leaving flames and faint motes of silvery dust where hundreds of the walking dead were comsumed by the glowing light!

Spoiler
    Show

Any other players to go or can I unleash the bad guys?
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Damien continues to chill with his 60-something Hide, 60-something Listen, and a readied action to intercept anything moving towards them with a charge attack.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Approximately how far away am I from the 'fogged' Dragon? I'll ready an action for when it starts coming out as I'm pretty sure I can't hit it reliably while its in the fog.

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

-Doomraga's Revenge by T.A. Barron

Extended Homebrew Signature

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know the range, but Alcaeus probably could've gotten off a shot. Oh, well. He can't quite ready an action because of good aerial movement. So, he'll make a half-move and conduct total defense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bringing up an interesting point. When an intelligent mount conducts total defense, some or all of that movement must assuredly transmit to the defense of the rider.

So, with total defense, how will that affect Berenike? I don't know if there's anything in the game that addresses that issue, but to say carte blanche that it doesn't apply at all seems like bad play. Part of the whole thing about my character's concept was as a protector-mount, and this fits the bill, doesn't it?
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Igneel View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Approximately how far away am I from the 'fogged' Dragon? I'll ready an action for when it starts coming out as I'm pretty sure I can't hit it reliably while its in the fog.
    Dragon is ~800ft away currently. I'll wait another day or so before I post a response to allow you to open fire.

Quote Originally Posted by PSinger View Post
    I don't know the range, but Alcaeus probably could've gotten off a shot. Oh, well. He can't quite ready an action because of good aerial movement. So, he'll make a half-move and conduct total defense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bringing up an interesting point. When an intelligent mount conducts total defense, some or all of that movement must assuredly transmit to the defense of the rider.

So, with total defense, how will that affect Berenike? I don't know if there's anything in the game that addresses that issue, but to say carte blanche that it doesn't apply at all seems like bad play. Part of the whole thing about my character's concept was as a protector-mount, and this fits the bill, doesn't it?
    If she doesn't take the penalties - i.e. you're dodging for her she will only get half the benefits that you do. As she may end up dodging the wrong way.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Like an avenging angel of death the undead dragon bursts forth from the heavy acidic fog without pause - strips of the dark ichorlike yellowish fog streaming off the wings and the now slightly irked riders as the massive flying being of death screams closer (to ~500ft).

Even as the dragon glows with magical power the guards all clustered around the throne glow and begin to cast spells of fell power as one glows with divine power - the glow spreading around to his collegues; the other touching a powerful rod built into his sceptre as he spreads magical auras rendering the dragon and his friends spell resistant.

THe high priest atop the dragon looks at the party preparing powerful spells of death and doom. His body shivering with power as a massive scythe of black death coalesces into the air alongside him.

On the ground the undead horde begins to shamble into life dispersing slightly from the aerial bombardment. The large wards against positve energy spreading around the 2 surviving enclaves of casters that are below you and some 400ft apart.

Meanwhile the mighty colossus draws back its arm- a colossal spear in its hand before the tree trunk tipped with magic wreathed obsidian streaks towards the undead dragon ridden by the dread necromancer. Even more alarming is the set of large black bat wings that unfold from the creature as more spells are cast upon it.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack with the thrown spear from some 800ft attacking the dragon.

Attack (1d20+32)[38] damage (8d6+25)[45]

9. - Top - End - #339
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Omg I feel stupid... All this time I've been calculating the range of my arrows the normal way, but totally forgot that I got Far Shot the feat as well.

So if I got this right now, my normal range is 110ft multiplied by 1-1/2 for 165ft and then increased by a further 50% for ~247.5ft?

Assuming I got this right then 500ft should be just 2 range increment further then my normal range (247.5x2= 495ft *shakefist*), so incurring a -2 penalty to my attack rolls.

*reads post*
    Whoa, he/it is attacking the dragon? That's no way to be a good team player mate!
    Assuming your done, I guess I'm going to start peppering the thing

Flapping her wings to carry her aloft the wind currents ever closer towards both the Colossus and the dragon Angela can only smile at the spellcasters fooling themselves into thinking they can control the air when they are flying not under their own power.

"Well now, this is getting interesting... Wonder if those riding ontop of that winged pile of rotting flesh, no offense Cychreides, can fly on their own power?"

Watching as the spellcasters start buffing themselves along with the dragon it was becoming clear that something would have to be done sooner then later before they have a neigh unstoppable offense or worse an impenetrable defense.

"Lets see how many pot shots I can get in before someone else drops ya shall we?"

Brushing the glyph at her side to once more sharpen her vision she knows she's ready for battle. Drawing back the bowstring to Meteor Shower she takes her aim, and fires the rain of radiant arrows.

Spoiler
    Show

Copy&Pasta time folks ;P

Move Action: Fly 70ft closer towards Colossus and Dragon, putting at least the dragon at ~430ft (-1 range increment to ranged attacks)
    Free Action: Activate Find the Gap glyph

Skirmish and Ranged Sneak Attack are not within their required 30ft range so I won't be adding that damage.

• Find the Gap stored in a Glyph disregards the target's armor, shield, and natural armor bonuses (including any enhancement bonuses) to Armor Class.
    • Manyshot with 4 arrows gives -8 penalty to hit on all arrows. (38-8=30)
    • Range Penalty of -1 to attack rolls (30-1=29)
    • Heroes' Feast +1 morale bonus on attack rolls (29+1=30)
    • Splitting enhancement doubles the number of attacks, rolling same attack bonus to hit for each pair of arrows. Each Force arrow bypasses DR.
    • If the Dragon is/was a Arcane Spellcaster add +4 to the damage (assuming it still has access to its spells), along with an additional +4 for being Undead.

Attack Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack 1: (1d20+30)[34]
    Attack 2: (1d20+30)[45]
    Attack 3: (1d20+30)[31]
    Attack 4: (1d20+30)[31]
    Attack 5: (1d20+30)[37]
    Attack 6: (1d20+30)[43]
    Attack 7: (1d20+30)[31]
    Attack 8: (1d20+30)[38]

Edit: DICE GODS!!!
    3 Nat 1's?! Are you kidding me?

Damage
    Spoiler
    Show

1: (2d6+10)[18]
    2: (2d6+10)[14]
    3: (2d6+10)[18]
    4: (2d6+10)[22]
    5: (2d6+10)[18]
    6: (2d6+10)[19]
    7: (2d6+10)[18]
    8: (2d6+10)[12]

• Woodland Archer feat's Adjust for Range maneuver gives a +4 bonus for each subsequent missed shot this round.
    • Woodland Archer feat's Pierce the Foliage allows my ranged attacks to not incur miss chance next round if I hit it once this round.
    • Ring of Entropic Deflection and Skirmish AC activate, granting 50% miss chance from ranged attacks, and a +3 bonus to AC (45).

Last edited by Igneel; 2012-08-29 at 04:13 PM.

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

-Doomraga's Revenge by T.A. Barron

Extended Homebrew Signature

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Damien moves in such a way that shadows envied his grace, and the air itself his skill at being unseen. He runs off of the great undead dragon's back, sending a mental farewell to his lich companion as he does so. The power of the magic upon him and his own limbs send him whistling through the air towards the great dragon, his greatsword held mightily in both hands, his eyes fixed on the mighty undead creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide in Plain Sight, -20 for Running: (1d20+28)[33]
    Move Silently (remember to adjust for distance), -20 for Running: (1d20+21)[35]

He moves 180 feet towards the dragon, assuming that it's 500 feet away and it's moving towards us at 300 feet per round; he's also going to aim to be some 50 feet above the dragon and its companions, outside the range of its blindsense (assuming that its range is 60ft).

LGBTitP

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Cheiros et al

A spear the size of a tree trunk flies through the sky, impossibly quickly, and buries itself deep in the unliving dragon's chest. Cychreides roars in dismay. He grips the huge thing with both forelegs and rips it out of his own chest. The wood is already covered with acid secretions.

Perched on his back, Hestia flexes her clawed hands, wishing that there was something she could do to sooth the majestic beast. Instead, she tracks the appproach of the larger dragon, and waits for her moment.

As Cheiros senses Damien's departure, and receives his mental salute, he sends word of caution back.

"That priest riding the dragon has tasted of the Styx. He will not be daunted by anything short of another death."

Cheiros glances over at the colossus sprouting wings, and gestures for Cychreides to change course to avoid it. The dragon drops the sharpened tree trunk, watching with some satisfaction as it plummets towards a unit of undead spearmen below. The hellbeast beats its wings furiously to put more distance between it and its pursuers.

Seeing Damien and Angela dropping towards the massive dragon, Cheiros opts to do what he can to strip away the magical defenses that they are laying on. Focusing on the same power that drives these opponents, he strives to turn it against them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hestia readies an action to charge any opponent that gets within 50' of them.

Cychreides climbs another 180'. I think that puts them at 1,260' above the ground. I think that the colossus just threw a tree a quarter mile. Now I know we're in epic.

Cheiros casts an enlarged area Greater Dispel Magic. If you believe that the caster level check is a numerical variable of the spell, then he maximizes it. If you don't, then here are some caster level checks - one spell is dispelled on each creature in the area, and area spells all have a chance of being dispelled:
    Dragon: (1d20+20)[22], (1d20+20)[27], (1d20+20)[32], (1d20+20)[21], (1d20+20)[21], (1d20+20)[26]
    Guard 1: (1d20+20)[34], (1d20+20)[21], (1d20+20)[34], (1d20+20)[35], (1d20+20)[36], (1d20+20)[35]
    Guard 2: (1d20+20)[21], (1d20+20)[24], (1d20+20)[27], (1d20+20)[21], (1d20+20)[36], (1d20+20)[39]
    Guard 3: (1d20+20)[32], (1d20+20)[23], (1d20+20)[34], (1d20+20)[38], (1d20+20)[37], (1d20+20)[39]
    Guard 4: (1d20+20)[29], (1d20+20)[33], (1d20+20)[31], (1d20+20)[29], (1d20+20)[38], (1d20+20)[35]
    Priest: (1d20+20)[38], (1d20+20)[39], (1d20+20)[39], (1d20+20)[27], (1d20+20)[39], (1d20+20)[30]
    Area spells: (1d20+20)[36], (1d20+20)[32], (1d20+20)[40], (1d20+20)[32], (1d20+20)[22], (1d20+20)[36]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Even as glittering shots of pure force and energy cascade into the enemy undead dragon a vast cloud of explosive sparks and flickering magical energy plays up and down the enemy dragon and its cargo of casters.

For most people Damien then vanishes into this air although Cherios's dragon can feel some weight leave it's back as the lone swordsman runs into the sky wating to pounce upon the enemy.

The dragon for its part continues to plow closer to Berenike, Alceus, Cherios, Angela and Damein. Its wings flapping slowly through the disultry negatively charged air. Black energy flows from 2 of the guards as most of the crater marks from the energy bow smooth and vanish.

The other guards concentarte and a vast cloud supernatural darkness envelops the dragon shielding it and its chief hierophant of death form sight.

On the ground another vast spear is hurtled through sky like a literal spear of the gods as it streaks towards Angela the winged angel before with almost an earthshaking tremble on its magical black wings of death the beast rises slightly from ground.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20+32)[37] Damage (8d6+25)[57] Miss chance (higher is better) (1d100)[20]

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Cheiros, Hestia, Cychreides

Cheiros curls a lip as he sees the dragonriders envelop it in a cloud of darkness. Darkness, at least to normal vision. His eyes looked at life backwards as well as forwards, and the flickering flames of their life forces shone through the darkness.

Life forces that he would have to work very, very hard to extinguish. Fortunately, he had been working very, very hard for several decades now.

Cychreides levels off and starts to circle, not wanting to put too much distance between them and their colleagues. Hestia perches on Cychreides' shoulder, peering down into the darkness, hunched and tensely waiting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hestia readies an action to charge any opponent that gets within range. Cychreides levels off and starts circling - now at a height about 300 above the others.

If I'm remembering correctly and the riders of the dragon read as alive to Cheiros' lifesight, then he'll cast Horrid Wilting on them. The dragon should be unaffected. For the others, (20d26)[293] damage. CL check to beat possible SR: (1d20+27)[37].

If I'm misremembering and the riders on the dragon do not read as living, Hestia will delay after Cheiros' action. Cheiros will instead cast Shapechange on Hestia. She will immediately change into a phoenix and fly 200' down to be close to Alcaeus and Angela.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Damien blinks once, slowly, as time slows itself to a crawl. The army below seems to congeal like so much horrible ichor as the clouds in the war-torn skies grind to a halt, their swift flight stalled in Damien's eyes. His eyes close, and he finds in himself his center, the source of his focus and his power. He feels his blade in his hands, the quiet tension of its edge and the mighty power of its magic resonating with a deep harmony. All is quiet, and dark, and still.

And then he explodes towards the dragon and its rider in a leap that defies all laws of reason or logic. He moves faster than an arrow, and yet his form is heavily obscured by the very air and shadow around him. He weaves between lines of sight, his rush nearly silent and his blade seeking a target that cannot be seen.

He enters the shadow around the dragon, and he closes his eyes, relying instead on his greater senses. The slope of the dragon comes into view in his mind's eye, as does the high priest, and the lesser spellcasters bolstering the mighty undead presence. He closes in on the high priest in moments, and just before he strikes the world itself seems to hold its breath in pause.

The force of Damien's blow is enough to tear the air itself, and a hideous clap of thunder rings out from the darkness. He never ceases moving, his blade flicking back and forth with the speed of a willow switch and the force of an avalanche. He tears into the dark cleric, unleashing all of his power and rage in a single unholy explosion of strength and fury.

Spoiler
    Show

Damien uses Time Stand Still to give himself two full-attack actions.

He is in his Leading the Charge and Hearing the Air stances.

He has Mind Blank, Haste, and Freedom of Movement on him, and he is Hiding in Plain Sight and Moving Silently.

His first full-attack action is used to War Master's Charge at the high priest riding atop the front of the dragon. He is Power Attacking for -2, and his weapon is Good, Adamantine, and Ghost-Touch.

War Master's Charge: (1d20+49)[57]
    Damage: (16str+ 5enhance + 6PA + 9Mo9 + 19LtC + 50WMC): (3d6+105)[114] + (1d6)[1] (assuming the target is Evil)

Miss Chance due to darkness: (1d100)[65]
    Blind-Fighting Reroll: (1d100)[10]

If he misses for any reason, he'll use his Lighting Recovery counter to reroll the attack roll with a +2 bonus: (1d20+51)[54]

He then uses his second full attack action to full attack the priest.

Attack 1: (1d20+47)[64]
    Damage: (3d6+27)[37] + (1d6)[1]
    Miss chance rolls: (1d100)[58] (1d100)[25]

Attack 2: (1d20+47)[56]
    Damage: (3d6+27)[37] + (1d6)[6]
    Miss chance rolls: (1d100)[76] (1d100)[8]

Attack 3: (1d20+42)[55]
    Damage: (3d6+27)[39] + (1d6)[5]
    Miss chance rolls: (1d100)[95] (1d100)[88]

Attack 4: (1d20+37)[49]
    Damage: (3d6+27)[35] + (1d6)[2]
    Miss chance rolls: (1d100)[99] (1d100)[97]

Attack 5: (1d20+32)[44]
    Damage: (3d6+27)[38] + (1d6)[2]
    Miss chance rolls: (1d100)[50] (1d100)[78]

He then activates his Raging Mongoose Boost.

Attack 1, Greatsword: (1d20+47)[55]
    Damage: (3d6+27)[34] + (1d6)[6]
    Miss chance rolls: (1d100)[37] (1d100)[53]

Attack 2, Greatsword: (1d20+47)[51]
    Damage: (3d6+27)[39] + (1d6)[6]
    Miss chance rolls: (1d100)[71] (1d100)[36]

Attack 1, Unarmed Strike: (1d20+33)[47]
    Damage: (1d10+17)[22]
    Miss chance rolls: (1d100)[40] (1d100)[92]

Attack 2, Unarmed Strike: (1d20+33)[35]
    Damage: (1d10+17)[25]
    Miss chance rolls: (1d100)[37] (1d100)[63]

He Hides and Moves Silently at large penalties throughout:

Hide: (1d20+28)[36]
    Move Silently: (1d20+21)[27]

LGBTitP