New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Haeresis Ex Cathedra Act 1: Dolus Episcopi(Dark Heresy IC)

The skies of Scintilla are often overcast, as is to be expected of a Hive World. Rain, however, is something of an uncommon occurrence; it has been decades, perhaps longer than some of you have been alive, since a true downpour battered the hive. Today, though, the windows of the office of Inquisitor Fealon Galth run with brackish water, the accumulated filth of the atmosphere and the edifice of the Tricorn mixing together into an unpleasant reddish black liquid, the color of old blood. An ill omen, perhaps; although Galth’s hunched posture as he stands with his back to you staring out on the vastness of the Hive suggest that far worse news lies in store.

A smallish man, in unornamented but obviously expensive robes, sensible black leather boots, and with no obvious weapons, Fealon Galth does not appear, to the casual observer, as someone to be feared. However, as he turns around, and gestures to you all to sit, light from the roaring fire in the office glints off of a golden signet ring on his right hand, with a stylized I picked out in rubies. He takes his seat behind the desk, and, rubbing his hands together, looks as if he is about to launch into a speech. Instead, though, he halts for a moment, and then reaches under his desk, retrieving a bottle of dark spirits, and a tray of nine glasses. Uncorking the bottle, he proceeds to pour himself a generous portion, sipping appreciatively. Looking to you again, he motions to the tray.

“Would you, perhaps, care for some amasec before we begin? This is a fine bottle; all the way from Quaddis. Expensive, but we all have our vices, I suppose.”

Assuming an affirmative answer, he begins to pour a generous measure into each glass, and hands one to each of you, watching your reaction if you sample the liquor. Raising his glass to his lips, he again sips, sighing with content as the slight amount of alcohol makes its way down his gullet.

“Ah, and this is a vice worth having! It burns, of course, but I’ve always found a little burning to be purifying to the mind. And it can, of course, do the soul remarkable good. Our Imperium itself sometimes requires a slight bit of burning, to purify and sanctify it as an instrument of Him on Earth.”

Reaching under his desk, the Inquisitor pulls out a manila folder, along with a dataslate. Spreading the contents out on the desk, he pulls back slightly, letting you absorb the images displayed. In each of the eight photographs laid out, a novice of the Ecclesiarchy lies dead. Although the method of death is different for each victim, two similarities immediately jump out to even a casual glance: none of the corpses retain hands, and all appear to have had their eyes and mouths cauterized shut, the skin having melted and run as if under some unimaginably hot flame.

“Normally, the Inquisition does not concern ourselves with something as simple as a serial killer; however, considering that each of these adepts has vanished from within the Cathedral of Illumination, suspicions of corruption within the Ecclesiarchy are sadly looking to be more and more plausible. That we even know of them at all is unusual; someone, or multiple someones, in the highest levels of the Lucid Palace and the Cathedral have conspired to prevent any reports of these deaths reaching us. Only now have they come to light.”

Pausing to sip his amasec again, Galth waits, letting the information he has delivered sink in. Leaning forward in his chair, Galth’s scholarly, somewhat convivial tone vanishes, replaced a fervid zealotry.

“We cannot allow the Ecclesiarchy or the Governor’s Palace believe themselves above Inquisitorial authority! These murders are clearly the work of heretics, who are being covered for by an abuse of administrative authority. I will be damned if I let the rot in the body of these organizations continue to fester! To that end, I am sending you, my acolytes, to the Cathedral, to discover the perpetrator, and to find who has been allowing them to operate unimpeded. You will have”—at this he pauses, and reaches again into his desk, withdrawing a case, which opens to reveal squares of parchment, emblazoned with the Inquisitorial I—“my full authority backing you on these matters. I wish the heretics purged, and painfully so.”

Sighing, he slumps slightly, seemingly embarrassed by his outburst.

“Of course, some discretion will be required. To that end, I am sending you, officially, to receive training in combating the daemonic from experts within the Cathedral. Open combat is to be avoided until you discover the perpetrator, and only then will your cover be broken. We will remain in vox contact, if need be, although I expect you to function independently as much as possible. Do we have any questions?”

2. - Top - End - #2

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Haeresis Ex Cathedra Act 1: Dolus Episcopi(Dark Heresy IC)

The frail bald psychic reaches out a grey-skinned hand, and pulls a picture in for a closer look, sipping the amasec gently as he does so. He sets it down, and leans in to scan the others. He sighs, setting the glass down, and assumes a habitual position of pondering, where one arm is crossed across his chest, while the other arm is held such that the index and middle finger on his other hand can tap his head right above his temple. He stares intently at the various pictures for another moment, tapping slowly.

"There's a clear pattern in the killing method. Does it harken to any known cults or traditions?"

Spoiler
    Show
    If Forbidden Lore Heresy, Forbidden Lore Daemonology, or Scholastic Lore Occult apply, then here's a roll, vs INT 33.
    (1d100)[63]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

"We are to purge those that dared to hinder your investigations, that much is clear..." drawls Jim.

"Are we also to purge those whose complacency allowed this to happen?"

Interestingly, for a devout individual, he doesn't worry at all when it is suggested that the priestly classes might be corrupt. He already knew that.

He hasn't touched his amasec at all. No vice is worth having, not in his mind, regardless of Inquisitorial opinion.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2013-03-12 at 12:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Novius glares sharply at clinking glasses of Amasec before the amassed recruits. The delicate vox grilles replacing his lower jaw could never handle the intake of such a drink; he instead resigned himself to a more menial diet day-to-day.

Returning his attention towards the mauled remains of Ecclesiarchy novices, shuffling through several of the papers spread across the Inquisitors desk. After a moment of study, his vocal recorders shudder to life.

"I must second the request of the Psychic; are these killings at all new, or follow some deeper pattern hidden within the ancient logbooks? And for that matter, do we have access to the records for Ecclesiarch investigations following the deaths? I would assume that we are not entering the Cathedral without prior knowledge of the current situation."
    Last edited by R-Group; 2013-03-12 at 11:39 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Jaq plays with the glass for a moment before draining it in one, the mellow burning sensation coating his throat. Best brace oneself now, before all the mayhem commences.

'Truly, Lord Inquisitor, the vines of Quaddis are a gift of the Emperor. To muster the courage and clear the head, all the better to do His work.'

Leaning over the table to look closer at the pictures, the short hiver shakes his head and grimaces.
    'I suppose our first order of business is finding out all we can about these poor bastards. As both the Incantate (nodding warily towards Veritas) and Acolyte Quint have already noted, we are unlikely to get far in uncovering the deeper pattern here without access to Ecclesiarchical archive documents and leave to question acquaintances and whatnot. What sort of access will our status as trainees in combating the Ruinous Powers (turns head to avert evil) afford us?'

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

The bald man clad in a badly banged-up Guard-issue flakjacket simply glares through the Inquisitor's initial briefing. A long-barreled single-shot hand-cannon weighs in at the man's left thigh holster while opposite that is a forward-canted mid-cal autopistol.

Myriad blade-scars, shrapnel-scars, bullet-scars and burn-scars make his face and what little of his body is visible seem like a grox burger.

His right eye roves the room, sizing up each of his new colleagues. His left eye is a steady glowing contraption of pewter and chrome, cabling and glass.

He slowly draws a monstrous-barreled three-cylindered revolver from within his coat and uses its muzzle to turn the photographs this way and that. As He then jabs the gun at the mouths, the wrist-stumps and the eyes. As he does so, the right sleeve of his coat conspicuously hangs, waving empty.

He rasps as he says, "Wotever the slagger wot did this... musta been a punishment o' sorts. Can't speak, can't touch, can't see... or rather, de other way 'round. Whoever these jammed fools were, they musta 'ad some sorta link, and musta stumbled 'cross sumthin' they weren't s'posed ta see or handle or speak about."

The scarred Guard Confessor scowls yet again, flares his nostrils and snorts.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-03-12 at 02:59 PM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

7. - Top - End - #7

Solomon Kull steeples his fingers on the table and leans forward to speak as he makes his contribution. In a formal meeting of acolytes in the presence of their inquisitor, his voice and mannerisms are far more formal than when relaxing.

"What powers will our status give us?" he says, turning to Jaq and intercepting the question that had been meant for Inquisitor Fealon Galth. "The same as ever. We will have nearly unlimited power bestowed upon us as agents of a Inquisitor, but how far that will actually take us will rely on our ability to make people recognise that authority - by reason, bribery, pleading, manipulation, force or whatever else we can use to get our way."

"I'm sure the Ecclesiarchy will generally treat us well, but like any organisation they will only tolerate us so far if we start to annoy them or make demands they find excessive."

Taking the glass, Solomon takes a hearty sip before continuing. In truth he has a completely unrefined palate and can't tell the difference between this and a normal liquor from a hive bar, but that doesn't bother him.

"I'd like to know who's responsible for looking into this for the Ecclesiarchy. Some chaplain who was appointed to the roll with no experience or some religious but highly unimaginative arbite, no doubt. Finding out what they'tr and leaving us with the areas they aren't covered will shorten our search quite a bit."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

'My, my. It would seem you have engaged in this sort of thing before, coz' Jaq says, grinning crookedly. 'I am sure we are all fortunate to have someone of your...wide-ranging experience to guide us. Nonetheless, I would hear the Lord Inquisitor's answer from his own lips, if you do not mind.'

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mathias steadies himself, gazing down at the assorted images. The young man silently prays for the poor souls displayed before the party. 'So sad,' he thinks, 'for good men to die.'

He starts to speak, then stops himself. Several men have already poised questions to the Inquisitor. They seem to know what they are talking about; no point in bothering the professionals.

He takes a small sip of alcohol and coughs quietly. 'Emperor's name, that's stronger stuff than usual,' he thinks to himself. Listening to the inquiries of his new companions and the soft patter of rain, the young cleric settles into his chair.

10. - Top - End - #10

Novius recoils slightly as several other acolytes reach forward to view the morbid pictures. Judging by the multitude of questions launched towards the Inquisitor, he relented to the belief that his own would not be answered for quite a time. Instead, he resigns himself to documentation and cataloging the known information.

He quickly snatches up the Inquisitor's Data-Slate from among the piles of documents, and pulls himself away from the growing cluster around the Inquisitor Galth's desk. Backing a few steps to his seat, he retrieve's his personal Data-Slate from within the heavy folds of his crimson robes. Drawing a thin cable from his sleeve, he links the two pieces of equipment.

Murmuring a short pair of the Omnissiah, he deftly transmits copy of the grim pictures to his own slate. He then returns each Data-Slate to its proper location, shuffling back towards the Inquisitor's desk. Finished, Novius returns the crowd acolytes, particularly those shuffling through the photographs littering the desk. After a moment, his Vox-augmented voice crackles to life.

"Kccczkt...Confessor Infernis, I understand that you have dealt with the rebellions of heretics beforehand? Have they ever seemed, this...organized to you? This all seems much too underhanded for a band of chaos worshipers."

Spoiler
    Show

Tech-Use for the Data-Slates, if it's really necessary:
    (1d100)[31]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

If at all it is possible, Infernis' scarred visage scowls even deeper, the fireplace' light giving him a daemoniac cast. Leaning heavily on his handcannon's muzzle, looming and brooding, he turns his half-augmetic glare upon the questioning cogboy and falls silent for a time.

The backbone of that revolt was formed of hereteks. AdMech traitors. Don't think I don't have my eye on you, cogboy.

His voice is full of scorn and damnation as he answers, "Chaos scum being what they are, of course they wouldn't get into every little dang groove and nick in Imperial society iffen they hung up flash-bright neon signs o'er their heads a-sayin' 'CHAOS HERE! DAMNATION AND MUTATION! JUST YOUR SOULS AND BODIES, COME ON DOWN!' Bah! Tch."

His shoulders shake and his empty sleeve shudders as he continues, hefting his gun, curling his lips back in a nigh feral snarl. "Underhanded? Fades and ambushes, fire-lanes and crossfires, support-fire and flankers, harriers and shockers... They may be monsters, but still, they were men beforehand. They CAN be... organized, if it suits their purpose."

Relenting, he snorts and sighs, then sets his gun down on the table while he scratches at his bald pate. "Look... ye get machines, right? And machines don't work well if all the parts aren't in order, right? And if the control console's busted, ain't no way to work the rest o' yer contraption, right? Take out the command structure, and all ya got offa a Guard regiment's meat--- poor, slaggin' desperate meat with guns. Underhiver gangs fracture inta infighting when they don't got their bosses. You happ'd to 'stomp dah big 'unz?' You've managed ta get a bit o' breather off an Ork WAAAUGH while they bust their own heads to get who might lead. Take out a Chaos cult's leaders? Their most fanatic followers will still fight to the death, ye can be sure o' that, but their baser followers'd be likely demoralized, directionless an' broken."

Still scowling, still glaring, the Confessor spits, "Like I said, people is people. Traitor or loy'list, folk care fer image, fer symb'lism. An example? I'm from neighb'rin Gunmetal, an' we be... sentimental, o'er our iron. Blessed be the gunsmiths. Say, this'n... ten-gauge, three-cyl lovechild o' the Westingkrup Scalptaker and the Cypra-Mundi Shotpistol. I call 'er 'Ol' Faithful' 'cause she's always been there, always seen me through. Praise Tholl. And this 'ere auto,? She's 'Jackie' an' I use 'er rapido fer... sermons. Like with those killings, pretty dang sure they--- whoever they were--- meant that those poor dang slaggers had seen---heard---held something they shouldn't have and thus they shall never--- speak--- of whatever-the-jam it was."

Hunching forward, he scrunches his face further, massaging his temple with one gauntleted hand and mutters, "Tholl's blood, my head..."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

'You seem perturbed, Confessor' Jaq says, 'Perhaps a drop of this fine Quaddian to calm the blood?'. He gestures to the bottle of amasec.
    Last edited by Magz81; 2013-03-15 at 06:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Up to this point, Drake had been quiet, studying the photographs, scanning them for relevant information, but the Confessor makes him look up.
    "What are you talking about? Are you always going to ramble on like this?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, the Confessor Infernis was a man after Jim's own heart, even if he was a touch touched. Then again, that was probably a good thing.

He picks up on all the Gunmetallican slang thrown about by his fellow man of faith, and speaks to his Redemptionist ally in their own Hive dialect,

"Las-slingers don't quite aim the way our gang are, preacher-man. Best to report with a laser-crack instead o' autogun-song. We're dealin' in Throne Gold, not lead, bucko."

The little witch-hunter sorts his hat and lightly pats the Hecuter 9/5 at side with a wink for his fellow from Gunmetal City. He'd likely get on well with the fellow.

A translation in Low Gothic, for those that might understand the good Layman Burton...

Spoiler
    Show

"These folk from outwith our good town don't entirely understand our manner of speech, Brother. It may be best to speak in Low Gothic, as opposed to our more elegant Metallican Hive Dialect.

Unfortunately, my friend, these gentlemen use Throne Gelt as currency, as opposed to bullets, and we shall have to get used to this state of affairs. What a bother!"

Last edited by bluntpencil; 2013-03-15 at 09:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Novius remains unfazed by the Confessor's outburst, staring blankly into the far side of the room while the Priest continues his shouts. Waiting a moment after the Confessor finishes to massage his temple, his buzzing vocal unit hums to life once more, crackling out a monotone response.

"Fzzkt...Hmmm, typical. Akin to all forms of Ecclesiastic servants, this one is no more than emotion and memory. Cannot even comprehend a mere query without an overtly moralistic undertone of arrogant purity. I expected better from someone of you're apparent skill, Confessor. I see little to gain in any further communication with such a violent-tempered, overly-zealous pedant. A simple acceptance of the query presented would have been of superior efficiency. Instead I am given a outwardly aggressive sermon on symbolism."

The Acolyte shifts his attention towards the Inquisitor, turning his attention away from the Confessor.

"Inquisitor Galth, will it be possible to access records of all previous Cult presence and activity on this Hive and neighboring Agri-Worlds? I am lead to believe that further success in my research will merit research distant from the Ecclesiastic representatives in this room."

Once more the Mechanicus Adept shifts his attention, this time towards the small Verispex Adept across the room.

"Adept Cryptus, you have shown yourself to be a knowledgeable scholar upon the subjects of Medicine. Perhaps you can elucidate our understanding of these deaths? If at all possible, might you identify such variables as direction of attack, methods, weaponry used?"

16. - Top - End - #16

@Razorstorm:
    Spoiler
    Show

Veritas cannot positively link any of the killing methods to a specific cult or group. They are clearly ritualized, and display a clear methodology, but beyond that, any specifics are unclear.

@R-Group:
    Spoiler
    Show

No Tech-Use necessary, this is pretty mundane stuff.

Galth absorbs the questions, one at a time, and waves them off, indicating clearly that he will respond to them all at once, in a way that should answer all of them. Standing from the desk, he again moves over to the window, his amasec glass firmly in hand. As the storm renews its pounding, he turns back tot he group. Backlit by the glow of the Hivelights, he gives off an aura of barely suppressed anger, enhanced by the white-knuckled fist he holds clenched at his right side. However, his voice displays no traces of this, maintaining the same decorous and scholarly air which it had originally maintained.

“Sadly, we have no leads as to any specific organizations, cults, superstitions, or heresies that typically employ such a method of killing. It does bear superficial resemblance to the followers of the Changer of Ways, in that the burns appear to be warpfire, but no adept of sorcery would seal the eyes and mouths. Goes too contrary to their master’s mission of promulgating dark knowledge. No, we have no inkling as to what group has done this, but they are definitely sorcerously adept, or utilizing creatures that are.”

At this juncture, Galth pauses to take a much larger swallow of Amasec than before, draining his glass to the halfway point. He resumes his speech, a slight cough induced by the fire of the distilled wine stifled before it could interrupt him further.

“Sadly, the Ecclesiarchical records are very slim pickings at this point. IF any more thorough investigations have been done, they were not recorded in the archives, or, more likely, someone in the church hierarchy prevented them from being undertaken at all. What is present is on the dataslate, although I expect it will do little to aid you in your endeavors. The only information and connection the Inquisition has been able to dredge up between the victims is a common location of work: the archival stacks. However, times of death vary from the same day of assignment to the stacks to as far as 10 years after their assignment. I wish I could provide more information, but this is all I have for you.”

At the Confessor’s outburst, the Inquisitor goes pale white, and his fist tightens, until blood begins to run down his hand and onto the carpet. Marching to stand in front of him, Galth begins speaking, his volume low, but undeniably menacing.

“Confessor Infernis, your colleague made an observation, and one that is, in fact, not a poor one, given his exposure to the Ruinous Powers. In the future, please maintain attempt to maintain a decorous working relationship; I have gone to a large degree of trouble to obtain a team which will be able to deal with any foreseeable circumstances, together.”

Turning to Novius, his voice begins to normalize, and then rises to a crescendo.

"If humanity does not work together, and stand united, against the tides of evil, we will be subverted, washed away in the tide of hatred and heresy that corrupt this galaxy. This team is but one component of the vast seawall holding that tide at bay; but a single brick falling can bring down a whole wall. I do not want you to let your INTERPERSONAL ISSUES COMPROMISE EVERYTHING THIS AUGUST BODY STANDS FOR! DO YOU TWO UNDERSTAND?”

Sighing, he pours another glass of amasec, and takes a large sip. Sitting down, he uses one hair to smooth back his hair, which had fallen over his head during his rage.

“My outburst aside, please, you all will need to rely on each other before this is over. Remember that. If you have no further questions, the shuttle is waiting on the platform. It will take you to the Cathedral of Illumination, where a Chaplain, Martin Gubern, will greet you. He will be, ostensibly, acting as your teacher in combating heresy, but he will also act as an effective contact; he is a long-time friend, and a loyal servant of the Inquisition. May the Emperor speed your journey, my Adepts. Ave Imperator.”

With that, the meeting is concluded. A Stormtrooper, clad in black, waits outside to escort you to an Aquilla-class shuttle, bay door open so as to receive you. A short dash through the rain later, and you all are inside the cargo bay, refitted to hold a series of flight chairs, tables, and equipment lockers. Most are empty, although each of you has a locker, labeled with your name. Inside, a small glass cube rests, each with an inscription etched on the side, and a spent bolter shell in the middle of the glass. If examined carefully, the inscription reads “Semper memorate hero Augustus, Manipularis Cruoris Corvorum. Requiescat in pace.”

A voice speaks over the intercom, rough with lack of sleep.

“I am your pilot, Maximus, at your service. Please take your seats; our flight will take some time. If you desire, food and beverages are available in the aft section of the cargo hold.”

Spoiler
    Show

Treat the bolter shell as a Charm.

17. - Top - End - #17

SwashbucklerGuy

Very comfortable with space travel, Veritas makes his way around the shuttle, listening, observing, but rarely speaking. He casually feels for backgrounds and capabilities. He seems more cautious around the Confessor than the others. He can occasionally be found viewing out a window with a deep, almost meditative look on his face.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

The Guard-priest does not look away
    But meets the Inquisitor's eyes
    Wrothful though the gaze, he stands tall
    Gives a solemn nod and salute
    Still set in a scar-cemented
    Scowl he says, "Tholl's flames. Sir. Yes, sir."

Once the flight levels out, he makes
    His way to Novius and takes out
    A pistol round, bites the bullet
    With his chrome-steel dentures and says,
    "Right. Token of 'conciliation.
    ...Some things just don't... click right... with me."
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-03-20 at 07:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

The Metallican witch-hunter settles in quietly. Now was not the time for sermons, and it certainly wasn't time for drinking.

He helps himself to plain bread and water, then thinks fora moment, realising that such plain food might affect his performance later, and takes a small amount of what could be considered a 'salad', yet feels guilty at taking this luxury item.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Jaq lounges in his flight chair, examining the bullet charm intently. He kisses it before placing the gift next to his votive icon of St. Aret the Lethecant.

21. - Top - End - #21

Novius accepts the Inquisitors outburst with a curt nod, before following the remaining Acolytes outside to the Aquilla Shuttle. Once aboard, he consents himself to partake of the available rations, carefully removing the vox-grille replacing his lower jaw. Once the mechanical augments are set aside, he greedily fills his gut with liquids and nutrients, the actual solid food impossible for him to chew. Satiated, he returns to the flight chairs; settling in along a rough table to replace and tinker with his ritualized and various augmetics.

At the Confessor's approach, Novius places the dented bullet casing into one of his robes deep pockets, but does not look away from his present work. After a moment, he quietly responds:

"Understood. I realize that your past dealings with the Dark Powers will make our present undertaking all the more difficult. Perhaps it is for the best if we stay out of each others way, yes? Our mission is more important than petty squabbles, and I feel a removal of the catalyst will oversee a removal of the problem, that being namely theological arguments. I cannot foresee any benefit to the continuation of hostilities."
    Last edited by R-Group; 2013-03-22 at 10:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mathias polishes the bullet charm thoughtfully, humming a prayer to himself. Once satisfied at its spotlessness, he wanders across the ship's cabin. He has no real idea how the starcraft works, but it seems the sort of thing a professional would do. Get acquainted with his surroundings and all that.

He is swiftly distracted, however, when he catches a glimpse of Jaq's charm. "Pardon me, sir, but your charm. St. Aret the Lethecant, I believe? A personal patron? I only ask because I have not seen many who would bear his symbol."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

'Ah, the Lethecant' Jaq muses, drawing the worn icon from his pocket and proudly displaying it to Novice Helsun.
    'Whence he came from, his miracles and beatification. All unknown, frà Helsun. Unknowable. Yet he is no less holy for all that.' Jaq looks intently at the young priest, his obscura-glazed eyes clearing for a moment. 'It serves to remind me there are some things best forgotten.'
    Perking up, he slips the icon back into his garish leather coat.
    'How droll that it now falls to a devotee of our most sacred St. Aret to help uncover a secret powerful elements in the Ecclesiarchy would very much like forgotten.'
    Last edited by Magz81; 2013-03-23 at 12:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Drake has began to dig into the food he grabbed for himself, not chipping into the conversation and instead electing to listen.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mathias nods to the wisdom of the man before him. "Indeed, the Emperor and his Saints move in ways we could not imagine. I find solace in that. So many great men, never truly gone, guiding us with there wisdom. It is good that we have someone to watch us in our quest." He bows, thanks Jaq for satisfying the curiosity of a young man, and hurries off to eat.

At table, Mathias's gaze falls upon the techpriest. Waiting for a pause between delicate bites, he attempts conversation with the mechanicus adept.

"My apologies if I am interrupting anything, mister...Novius, was it? I'm sorry, I've just never had the chance to work with someone from the great Mechanicus before. Do you have a moment to talk?"

26. - Top - End - #26

Novius finishes work, carefully replacing the various augments to their proper locale. He turns away from the Confessor at Mathias's approach, shifting his attention from one conversation to the next. His voice box takes a moment to scratch out his words, giving a lengthy pause before he speaks.

"Yes, Priest, I suppose I have a moment. The Confessor and I were simply...solving an issue. What is it you require?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

The young priest stares squeamishly at the mechanical man as he reassembles his mouthparts. "I...that is, sir, I just wanted to say 'greetings' and extend a proper welcome." He nods towards the Confessor. "I assure you that the Ecclesiarchy is a great, if proud, organization, and sometimes its members are harsh towards other Imperial institutions. I want you to feel welcome here."

"Also, on a less professional level, I wanted to ask: what is it like, being a part of the Mechanicum? I've never had the chance to speak to a member of your order before. How did you come to work for the Lord Inquisitor?
    "

28. - Top - End - #28

The in-atmosphere flight is mostly uneventful, although navigating the traffic of Scintilla's clogged skyways proves a time consuming affair for the pilot. As well, obtaining clearance to dock at the Cathedral of Illumination takes quite some time, extending the total flight time to 8 hours. The rainstorm outside pounds the hull with high-velocity droplets of water, but the thickness of the steel and ceramite shuttle walls dull the noise to a low roar. With little turbulence, and no windows, the motion of the shuttle is actually only barely apparent to the Acolytes; any brave enough to stand are able to walk and navigate uneventfully.

After finally landing, your pilot lowers the ramp, revealing a storm-swept landing dock. Frateris militiamen, clearly freezing cold and soaking wet from the intense storm, nonetheless stand guard, lasguns ready. 10 meters away, silhouetted in the warm yellow light of a nearby doorway, stands a black-robed priest, apparently your welcoming committee. Standing well over 6 feet tall, the mans biceps threaten to burst through the simple black fabric of his robe. As you make your way over to the door, he stands aside to let you all inside, shutting the door after you with apparent relish, and a barely suppressed shiver. Extending his hand to each of you in turn, he grasps your own hand in a solid, almost bonecrushing grip, squeezing until it feels as if your bones will be pulverized, although he lets up if any injury feels likely to occur.

Spoiler
    Show

If you wish, roll a Challenging(+0) Strength test to see if you can match his grip. If you do, a slight grin makes its way to his face, and he stops squeezing so hard, instead extending his other hand to clasp your lower arm.

"T'is awfully strange ta have weather like this on our fair city. A bad omen, perhaps? And I'm sorreh you poor fella's had ta wade through that mess out thar. I attempted to get ya a better landing zone, but it appears we shall have'ta walk. Excuse me, where are my manners? I am Chaplain Martin Gubern, though ya may call me Martin. I'll be working closely with ya in tha coming weeks. Follow me to yar quarters, and we can talk in a more secure environment."

Without turning to see if you follow, Martin begins walking down the nondescript corridor, bare metal with luminators studded every few paces. As he turns, an Aquilla is visible tattooed onto the back of his neck.

29. - Top - End - #29

SwashbucklerGuy

Extremely uncomfortable in the rain, Veritas completely misses the Chaplain's attempt at shaking hands, his own being consumed trying to shield his head from the unfamiliar drops. Veritas scurries after Martin, anxious to get out of the rain, muttering something about "We conquer worlds, but we can't seem to conquer the weather. Yet another reason I prefer ships." Once out of the rain, he removes his dark spectacles, and dries them off with the sleeve of his robe, then tucks them away.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

His rakish red crest of hair glistening in the rain, Jaq daintily extends his hand and smiles from between the immense lapels of his leathers and furs.
    He attempts to match the larger man's grip while holding his gaze.

Spoiler
    Show
    can't figure out die roller, but chances are, Jaq ain't out-muscling this guy

Whether or not he succeeds;
    'Chaplain Gubern,' Jaq makes the sign of the aquila. 'I expect you have many interesting things to tell us. Let us be out of this rain. Ill omen or not, it is certainly ruining Zeekqra pelts I went to great bother to acquire.'
    Last edited by Magz81; 2013-04-03 at 07:09 PM.