Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 480 of 819
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sgt. Cookie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "Aye, I do. Your boss, Thevya, she was the one who ordered Ben's death. She has resources outside the guild, or at least access to them. If I were a gambler, I'd bet yesterday's mass scuv street prescience was her doing."
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

    Ponytar by Dirtytabs

    Like the look of the Prestige Bard/Paladin/Ranger, but don't know how best to use them? There's a guide for that.

  2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Caladeran stood and paced a little. "This woman is not stupid - she can't be simply hoping on a long shot at future power. She is more ruthless, and will move to control events, not be controlled by them. So the real question is are we a gambit she expects to net a gain? Or a feint designed to distract her opponents? Or are we being played the fools, sent on a quest to remove us from play?"

    Sighing, he stopped and looked at the others. "Unless we can figure out her game, we are at risk. But if the artifact can be found, it is in our best interest to control it."
    I'm moving at the end of October - posting will be sporadic and probably short. Bot my characters as necessary, but I will return!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sgt. Cookie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "I think the best solution is split up. Phaedrus, I think you, Calderan and Malaina should go look for the artefact.

    As much as I would love to root around an old tomb, my skill at wordplay is far greater than Calderan's, no offence intended Cal, but you're as charismatic as a brick wall, and a mage should go on the artefact hunt.

    Phaedrus knows more about the artefact than any of us, and Malaina is an obvious choice.

    Me and Selena will stay in the city. Between the two of us, I'm certain we can keep the peace until you three get back."
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2012-10-29 at 11:33 AM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

    Ponytar by Dirtytabs

    Like the look of the Prestige Bard/Paladin/Ranger, but don't know how best to use them? There's a guide for that.

  4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Woops sorry there.


    Fade's surprise is evident, but he doesn't look horrified nor sickened. "I would not have expected it of her, she has seemingly supported the guild, and Coursan for her whole tenure, and that's why she's done so well. We all thought she was being groomed for succession."

    "But then I suppose that she is arrogant, and certainly ambitious. Maybe it was all a front. Who can say."


    Turning to the plans, Fade looks worried. "Cal has the right of it, we must know what it is the others plan before leaving. I shall contact Malaina if I can."
    Last edited by al'Lan Mandrag; 2012-10-29 at 01:07 PM.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Caladeran nodded silently, finding a seat to wait. He had thought the dynamics of their group had left he, Selena and Aquarius as an impromptu 'unit.' Now it seemed they preferred to split their group ... perhaps a wise decision, but he knew so little of Fade and Malaina that he was uncertain of how that would turn out. Perhaps they would be better in a fight ... and perhaps they would be worse.

    Mentally shrugging it away, he turned his mind to other things. He might not have the social graces that the other two had, but he was learned in many disciplines. Perhaps he would take some time to assist Phaedrus with studies on this artifact prior to their departure. It still seemed to him there must be some historical clue as to why the artifact ceased to protect the independance of the isles ... and it was focused on the era of time some 1900 years past.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought war was an extension of politics ... that a social skill of sorts! Besides, I do have a number of KS skills that I thought might be useful. Apparently not ...
    I'm moving at the end of October - posting will be sporadic and probably short. Bot my characters as necessary, but I will return!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  6. - Top - End - #456
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "In a city of so many souls, it is foolishness to think two can control it, in any meaningful sense. Your clever wordplay and my mental manipulations would change some events, sometimes in ways we would predict, but the actions of thousands of others outweigh our cleverness by far."

    "If there truly is an artifact powerful enough to control the political governance of an entire island, I feel we would ALL best serve the city by retrieving that, and then making sure it winds up in the right hands."

    "Let those whose job it is to keep the peace by force and subtlety continue to do so, while we focus on our strength: taking nice things."
    Last edited by sdream; 2012-10-29 at 03:28 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Cal nodded distantly. "There is strength in numbers, socially or otherwise. If it were as easy as popping in and grabbing the artifact, Thevya would have sent someone else ... unless she can't trust in-house resources ..."

    Which was probably more to the point, given her use of Maria ...
    Last edited by Starbin; 2012-10-29 at 04:31 PM.
    I'm moving at the end of October - posting will be sporadic and probably short. Bot my characters as necessary, but I will return!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sgt. Cookie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "I didn't say "control". But you may be right, I'll go with you. We do, however, need someone to keep watch here and keep an eye on things. Perhaps Miss Shiel would be kind enough to do that for us?
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

    Ponytar by Dirtytabs

    Like the look of the Prestige Bard/Paladin/Ranger, but don't know how best to use them? There's a guide for that.

  9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Caladeran looked back at the others, then turned to Phaedrus. "What do you think, Fade? These are your employers ... should we stay or go? And is there an alternative sponsor within the guild other than Thevya?"
    I'm moving at the end of October - posting will be sporadic and probably short. Bot my characters as necessary, but I will return!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "Well the leader, Coursan, or his other lieutenant Fervon. They have as much influence as Thevya, but I don't know much if anything about their motivations. I'm not sure how much we can trust miss Shiel, but it is up to you. If I stay here, I'm sure I can watch some of the goings on within the town."
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #461
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Caladeran shook his head. Spoken like a silk-tongued monkey ... Aloud, he grunted and nodded towards the books. "So you will not be going? Then write down what we need to know and watch your back ... this battle for power will likely turn bloody."

    Glancing at Aquarius, he frowned. "Why would you trust a woman we captured and interrogated to keep an eye on things?"
    I'm moving at the end of October - posting will be sporadic and probably short. Bot my characters as necessary, but I will return!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  12. - Top - End - #462
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "Please be extra careful, Fade. If this goes down like River City did, those with axes to grind mostly kill each other, but a lot of bystanders get sucked into the hatchet fight also."

    "We'll try to find the artifact, and then we will return for your input on who it would best go to. If anyone intends to dispose of you remind them that you have dangerous friends who bear lethal grudges."

  13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sgt. Cookie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Was the elf naive, or just slow? Maria would keep an eye on things. After all. We hold her life in our hands. "Because I will tell her to. You are a better man than I, Calderan. So I don't expect you to understand why. Just know that she will."
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2012-11-05 at 11:03 AM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

    Ponytar by Dirtytabs

    Like the look of the Prestige Bard/Paladin/Ranger, but don't know how best to use them? There's a guide for that.

  14. - Top - End - #464
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "I'm with the elf on this one. We could control her actions while we had her tied up, but she is gone now, into the care of another. "

    "That she has truly cut her ties with her old master, and even that she is still alive are assumptions I would not stake anything I cared about upon."

    "I would like to stop and pick up Crystalena, so it may be easy to check up on her, but I would ask you not to trust her very far. You are a charming man, but I doubt she is completely in your thrall."

  15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Caladeran shook his head. "Not a better 'man.' Just one who is less charismatic than a brick wall ... and about as trusting as one."

    After Sel spoke, Caladeran thought for a moment. "Perhaps if you give Fade and Malaina the particulars, and let the woman know there are those that are watching her, it shall reduce the likelihood of her betrayal ... or at least delay it."
    Last edited by Starbin; 2012-11-05 at 11:27 AM.
    I'm moving at the end of October - posting will be sporadic and probably short. Bot my characters as necessary, but I will return!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sgt. Cookie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "Calderan. I'm assuming elves have blackmail, right? We have leverage over Miss Shiel. We can reveal her betrayal to her master. Thevya or otherwise. She can't run to Thevya asking for protection, because that would tip her off that she talked, and she can't run to the other guild leaders because she would have to reveal her treachery to them. Nor can she run to the City Guard, as she will have to reveal her crimes.

    In short, she has no where to go. She will do what we say, or we will turn her over. As simple as that. No charm needed."
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2012-11-05 at 12:30 PM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

    Ponytar by Dirtytabs

    Like the look of the Prestige Bard/Paladin/Ranger, but don't know how best to use them? There's a guide for that.

  17. - Top - End - #467
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "Blackmail only works while the victim believes serving the blackmailer is the safer path. A single visit by Theyva or one of her flunkies might make betraying us the safer path, and I'm sure they know more of her dirty secrets and have a better idea of how to leverage them."

    "That coward is anyone's tool... anyone willing to use an untrustworthy tool that is. Make sure someone is watching your back whenever you meet her."

    "Fade, do you know who that priest serves? The one that helped Benny name his killer..."


    Spoiler
    Show

    Seal is worried Aquarius is too complacent about his control of that woman, putting herself in that woman's shoes, she would not be controlled so easily.

    I'd like a little warning about how safe the temple is, if Theyva has learned we no longer serve her, and then I'd like to pick up crystalena/watch Aquarius/Lucien bother Shiel some more, and head to either a ferry for that island, or to interview a new prospective master for us and Fade.

    Alternately, I could check up on the brothel I normally live in, make sure my roommate is OK.
    Last edited by sdream; 2012-11-06 at 02:49 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sgt. Cookie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "If the task were more complex or dangerous, I would agree with your concerns. But the task is simple. Keep watch over the town, and report any interesting goings on. That's all. Something anyone could do."

    "And as long as I keep my hand on my sword, I doubt Miss Shiel will try anything. In our first encounter, here in this library, she was angered, and she let slip several things, but we didn't come to blows. In our second venture, I managed, with a little help from Calderan, to take out two of her guards."

    "Right now, she is in a temple, with a single unarmed guard, and a dagger. I think I can handle myself. But... join me if you wish."
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

    Ponytar by Dirtytabs

    Like the look of the Prestige Bard/Paladin/Ranger, but don't know how best to use them? There's a guide for that.

  19. - Top - End - #469
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "Even if I did not need to visit the temple I would definitely want to be there to guard your back."

    "By my count right now the temple may hold the two already mentioned, plus a completely unknown quantity of allies and gear which either arrived recently or have always worked there."

    "As for reporting on events, I prefer to get my information from people who never tried to kill me, and who I did not have to threaten with death. It's a lot safer and more reliable, if the information is such that anyone can provide it."

  20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    At Aquarius' comments, Caladeran raised an eyebrow. A little help from Caladeran, eh? Aloud, he simply shrugged. "Fine. You two go check on your 'trusted agent.' I'll get all the information Fade has on this heart and meet you later. Here, the temple or elsewhere?"
    I'm moving at the end of October - posting will be sporadic and probably short. Bot my characters as necessary, but I will return!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  21. - Top - End - #471
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "We can't split up! The mutual health protection we wove between you two this morning would shatter if pulled more than a few rooms apart."

    "No matter how safe the temple is, nobody should walk the streets alone right now. Whoever is paying for all those new mercenaries on the streets isn't just doing it for giggles."

  22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Fade mutters a bit at all the arguing and confusion, but answers Seal quite quickly: "Um, well the Priesthood is ostensibly separate from the rest of the Guild, and when it comes to matters of debate, the Leader often consults the brothers on the mood of the congregation. But other than loyalty to Coursan, I wouldn't be able to say more than that. Perhas personal loyalties in the priesthood to different successors, but that is only speculation."
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Sighing, Caladeran nodded to Sel. "I did not recall that your efforts required we be together at all times. I shall go with you. Fade, you can gather the resources we will require, yes?"
    I'm moving at the end of October - posting will be sporadic and probably short. Bot my characters as necessary, but I will return!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "Yes, yes, I shall er gather the essentials for such a mission."
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Caladeran turned back to the others, nodding his head towards Aquarius. "Lead on, Master Puppeteer."
    I'm moving at the end of October - posting will be sporadic and probably short. Bot my characters as necessary, but I will return!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  26. - Top - End - #476
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    "We've got your back."

  27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    The journey to the temple is quiet; the soldiers in the street seem to have scared most people away. Even from your short trip you can tell that there must be hundreds of soldiers on the street, all bearing the Archa's house insignia.

    Enterring the temple you find much as it was before, yet strangely quiet. No priest waits in the grand front room.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sgt. Cookie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Instinctively half-drawing his sword, Aquarius has a quick look around for anything suspicious.

    Whispering to his comrades "Keep quiet and your eyes open. I don't like the silence here, even for one of Olidmara's, this temple is too quiet."
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

    Ponytar by Dirtytabs

    Like the look of the Prestige Bard/Paladin/Ranger, but don't know how best to use them? There's a guide for that.

  29. - Top - End - #479
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Selena nods, but whispers back: "Let's wait a minute before knocking."

    Telepathically, Seal asks her diminutive crystal fragment to describe the rough layout from the entrance to the store-room where she was placed, then go mobile, examine the storeroom, climb the wall and try the doorknob from the inside of the storeroom.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Psicrystals have big racial bonuses to hide and climb, as well as a climb speed. She can also see and hear perfectly even in magical darkness or silence (within 40') note that she can only push with 12 pounds of force (str 1) and as a diminutive construct has a grapple modifier of lose and no attacks.

    I figure she might be able to at least find if anyone is waiting on the other side of our door.

  30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

    Caladeran kept his hand on the spiked chain at his side, eyes searching around for signs of treachery.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Listen: (1d20+3)[5]
    Spot: (1d20+3)[8]

    Wow ... the roller hates me.
    Last edited by Starbin; 2012-11-12 at 12:40 AM.
    I'm moving at the end of October - posting will be sporadic and probably short. Bot my characters as necessary, but I will return!
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •