New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: 3.5 Political Adventure [IC]

Caladeran kept his hand on the chain wrapped at his side. This situation continued to spiral into confusion, and the elf wondered how these apes had ever managed to survive the long dark nights without killing one another.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #602
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Aquarius, dear friend and compatriot!"

Ivor casts about, looking for whom is the most threatening person in the room and therefore obviously the assailant.

Hmmm... he thought. The semi-naked man certainly is not the danger. This elf looks dangerous. Doubtless he is the assassin!

Ivor pivots and allows his 'enchanted sword' to hum a bit.

Spoiler
    Show
    I completely forgot to add my skills and languages. AHHH! And I think Dim Graxy would be an awesome name for a white half-dragon ogre.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

3. - Top - End - #603
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Relax fella, we're all done with the stabbing for now."

This guy is very eager, I can see why he and Aquarius meshed.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Seeing the man's display, Caladeran snorted and dropped his hand. "So shall we wait and see if anyone else wishes to appear and join our discussions?"

5. - Top - End - #605

Satisfied, Ivor sheathes his scimitar and fizzles off the enchantment.

"I accept your surrender. Dear Friend Aquarius, has this brother of an underfed sheep injured you?"
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

[B]"No, Ivor. The elf is a trusted ally. And useless at darts."[B]
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

7. - Top - End - #607

"... Ah. Well then. I withdraw my question you lineage."

With a low bow, Ivor the Sly introduces himself.

"I am Prince Ivor Khal-Khan, Chieftain of Chieftains and Conqueror of the Blood Steppe. At your service."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff.

(1d20+10)[26]

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Caladeran simply stared, little interest in this human Prince that rushed into a situation he was not invited into, flinging insults without regard for what was going on.

"This is a circus. We need to plan our next move before we end up like the boy."

9. - Top - End - #609

GreenSorcererElf

"We had planned to leave town, and I haven't heard any good reason to change that plan. Let's collect our supplies and go while we still can."

"Jaret, I'd feel more comfortable if you came with us for at least the first day so we know you're not gathering friends to inconvenience us or others, fatally as it were."

Spoiler
    Show

Selena is convinced that town is just getting ugly and it might be calmer when they return.

Fade has convinced her that the rumored artifact is legit, and it could make a difference, for good or ill. Sel intends to get to choose whose hands to deliver it into.

Spoiler
    Show

And there's a decent reason to bring Jaret with the party, we DON'T trust him, and we want to make sure he's not running off to cause trouble. On our road trip, perhaps we can build that trust, if he's willing to go the distance with the party.
    Last edited by sdream; 2013-01-14 at 03:32 PM.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ivor, unlike some of our adventures together, we can't go charging in. We need to keep things a little more subtle. That said, charging in is what we were headed out to do. But, Calderan is right. This is becoming a circus. And we certainly need a plan."

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

11. - Top - End - #611

"Ah. The soft-hand approach. Forgive me Dear Friend. I shall adjust myself accordingly."

Like a torch extinguished, Ivor's 'rage' subsides. He unstraps his shield and slings it over his back.

"Now then. Does this gentleman require clothing? I have spare outfit should he need one."

12. - Top - End - #612

Quote Originally Posted by sdream View Post

"Jaret, I'd feel more comfortable if you came with us for at least the first day so we know you're not gathering friends to inconvenience us or others, fatally as it were."
    Jaret nods in agreement. "No complaints. Some security 'til I get distance between me an' this place, I'm ok with that". He finishes hiding his weapons and adds: "Reason to keep ourselves around for a bit would be the plant. I know only as much about Thevya's dealings as I need, an' if we wait there'll be one less person to tell us more after t'night."

"Now then. Does this gentleman require clothing? I have spare outfit should he need one."
    "I'm fine, I've got some reserves and gear nearby. I was plannin' to go after P.F's man after this."

13. - Top - End - #613

GreenSorcererElf

"That would be the third interrogation in as many days for us... I don't want to get stuck in bully mode."

"Why wouldn't we just shoot some notes over the palace wall fingering the plant and let their security forces deal with him and his friends?"

Spoiler
    Show

Maybe roll a secret d6 for each note sent. On 3 or higher it gets to the security team, and on a 1 the plant or his allies find it first, giving them forewarning.

'Lan if you really want us to go to the Palace I can try to think of excuses IC why it might be a good idea, but I've been sold on the island currently.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Caladeran simply watched, uncertain that leaving the city was the best plan. His people had a saying ...Cut out the rot, least the tree be lost; cut down the tree least the copse be lost; burn out the copse least the forest be lost; wipe clean the forest, least the land be lost ... else you live in a world without life.
    Last edited by Starbin; 2013-01-15 at 02:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #615

"My people have a similar saying: stab everything before they stab you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Off-chance Knowledge [nobility] to see if the initials "P.F" ring any bells in the circles Ivor travels.

[roll0]

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    For the record, Caladeran didn't say that out-loud ... use of the single quotes was probably confusing ... sorry!

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ivor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ivor does not recognise the initials, but all the other characters recognise them as belonging to Perran Fervon, the second in command to the Thief Guild Leader.

@Sdream:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is up to you where you go. I don;t want to steer you in any direction.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #618

GreenSorcererElf

"So is there a reason you want to get inside the palace in person rather than just shooting notes in?"

Sel looks somewhat suspicious.

19. - Top - End - #619

"Do you desire entrance into the halls of nobility? Perhaps I might be able to persuade an invitation within. An anonymous note left on a nightstand might hold more water than one shot through a window."

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Caladeran shook his head. The situation continued to flounder in confusion. Should they support the Archa, and try to warn her? Or simply let matters play out and look for this item Fade had found out about? Was the Heart simply a wildgoose chase, made up by Thevya, or a real shot at changing her plans? If their role was to oppose Thevya, were there better ways to do so then looking for this relic?

Clearing his throat, he leaned towards Selena. "What is our goal? Survival in the city? Oppose Thevya's ascension? Kill the woman? Make a name for ourselves? We seem to lack purpose, beyond 'keep breathing' ... a good, if short-sighted goal."

21. - Top - End - #621

GreenSorcererElf

"My long term goals have always been the same. To survive... to learn... to gain power... to shape my own destiny... to bring joy to all I care for."

Sel placed a hand upon her elven friend's shoulder.

"I understand how it is; listening to folks babble in a foreign language, some details can be lost in translation."

"It seems our previous employer is harmful to her own people, so we have decided no longer to be her people. She may be upset with that decision, so getting away for a while is smart."

"We do have something interesting to pursue out of town right now, which is fortunate, and may give us some leverage upon our return."

"A piece of information has also just fallen in our laps, warning of danger to the town's stability. If we can do something quick and safe about that on the way out of town, I think it would be worthwhile."

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Caladeran shrugged slightly. "I simply think our efforts lack focus. By saying what we seek, it will better frame what we should spend time doing."

He looked at the others, to see what their perceptions were.

23. - Top - End - #623

Seeing that his initial perceptions were... misaligned, Ivor straightens himself up, dispels his minor cantrip and clears his throat.

"I owe no fealty to this Thevya person, but I owe Aquarius a small favour or two - the detail of which I shall not bore you," Ivor added quickly.

"I shall follow your lead, boon associate," he says, bowing again to Aquarius.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Caladeran glanced at Aquarius, curious as ever to what the enigmatic human's perspective was. Jaret's opinion did not concern him, anymore than Maria's did ... but he'd still listen.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

Aquarius was unusually silent, as he stood there for a moment. Before stating his view on the matter. "The artefact is important, yes. But, we don't know what it does or even if it would be helpful to our endeavors. Further more, we are aware of a possible attempt on the Archa's life, sometime in the very near future. If we do nothing and proceed to look for this artefact, the existence of which may be mere myth, and the Archa is killed, who knows how the balance of power would be upset."

"While I am well aware that the Archa's power is slipping, it's doing so gradually, allowing other things to fill the void. If the Archa were to die, that would leave a very noticeable power void, with many factions seeking to fill it. And such things are rarely over with quickly. This could take various forms, but the worst case scenario is open fighting between factions, the best case is that all battles are verbal, one that is highly unlikely, due to Thevya."

"Let us not forget that it was also her that hired us to find the artefact, meaning that she believes it would be useful to her in some unknown fashion. This puts us in an interesting position, assuming the artefact exists. We find it and bring it back to the city, Thevya may find out and kill us for it. If we don't go, Thevya will find someone else to find it, thereby placing it in her hands anyway."

"For once in my life, whim cannot be the one to decide which path to take."

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

26. - Top - End - #626

GreenSorcererElf

"So it looks like we all agree that something should be done about the threat to the Archa, but leaving anonymous notes around does not seem sufficiently better than firing them in to warrant the time and risk."

"Let us go collect our travel equipment, and take care of that."

Sel exits the way they came in, heading back to the street.

27. - Top - End - #627

Never one for idleness, Ivor darts out the door as well.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

There still seemed to be a difference in opinion of what the group considered important. However, as always, Selena had sparked them to take action ... and sometimes just moving was better than simply standing around overthinking the situation.

Of course, the humans had once again summed this situation up into two choices, when there was always a third option. Caladeran grunted, "It seems we have a task ..." and followed Selena out of the church. Let Aquarius worry about Maria and let Jaret either follow or stay - neither was of particular concern to the elf.

Catching up to Selena, he leaned close. "A short-sighted man comes to a fork in the road and sees only two paths, when there are actually three. But if our path is chosen, then I shall follow you upon it."

Spoiler
    Show
    In the words of the Whopper, it may be that 'the only winning move is not to play.' While it might completely throw al'Lan's plans out the window, we could leave town and set up in a different city.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

As you leave the temple you hear the clatter of approaching footsteps. Those of you who know him recognise Phaedrus gambolling as fast as he can towards you. Hecwaves a sheaf of notes in front of Seal's face. "i've found it, the ice heart! But that isn't all; i have the manifest from a ship that left today. Two Thieves took ship to the islands today, though they tried to hide it."
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #630

Ice Heart? Ivor thought. Sounds rare. And lucrative. Perhaps it is time to pitch my yurt in these peoples' camp.

The morose clink of his three remaining gold pieces accentuated his thoughts.