New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 8: College? What About It?

Coffee your sig banner still links to the last thread, just a heads up.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like his hair a lot, but I don't quite understand the extent of his facial damage. I mean, is his face essentially a giant scar? Because all I see is messy hair and a little scar. Maybe Serrine's mother could someday use some arcana to fix his face ^_^
    Thanks asdf for the 90% Link 10% Alex avatar!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

About damn time, right?

#180: Well, He Screwed Up Big-Time

Also, here's how this particular poison works. Basically it interacts with the myosin heads in muscle so ATP can't bind with them. Therefore, the myosin heads stay bound to the actin, resulting in muscle rigor. Of course, this only affects most skeletal muscles; the person will still be able to blink, breathe, speak, and control involuntary movements normally. Somebody who's really good in physiology, please double-check to make sure I'm right. I had my textbook with me as I went through it and I think I got an A on my physiology prelim, so I'm pretty sure this is biologically accurate, but it would be nice to have another person make sure.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-04-15 at 12:10 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Geez Murphy, isn't sense motive supposed to be a class skill for paladins?
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

That explains the whole assassination attempt... Mostly...

Obviously, Lord Murphy isn't very wise.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    About damn time, right?

Also, here's how this particular poison works. Basically it interacts with the myosin heads in muscle so ATP can't bind with them. Therefore, the myosin heads stay bound to the actin, resulting in muscle rigor. Somebody who's really good in physiology, please double-check to make sure I'm right. I had my textbook with me as I went through it and I think I got an A on my physiology prelim, so I'm pretty sure this is biologically accurate, but it would be nice to have another person make sure.
    Hmm... Am I the only one that can't help noticing parallels, and were they intentional?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

About damn time, right?

Also, here's how this particular poison works. Basically it interacts with the myosin heads in muscle so ATP can't bind with them. Therefore, the myosin heads stay bound to the actin, resulting in muscle rigor. Somebody who's really good in physiology, please double-check to make sure I'm right. I had my textbook with me as I went through it and I think I got an A on my physiology prelim, so I'm pretty sure this is biologically accurate, but it would be nice to have another person make sure.
    I think the assasination attempt was to create a rift between Lamplight and Lord Murphy.
    I hope we get to see team gale next.
    P.S- So you're gonna be a doctor
    P.P.S- I think I found your old drawings (remind me of Game of Thrones).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

I would not recommend targetting myosin specifically. Skeletal muscle is not the only type of muscle with myosin, and something that has such a wide-ranging effect would actually affect all types of muscles, including smooth muscle and cardiac muscle. If smooth muscle was paralysed, Lord Murphy would not only be unable to speak, he'd also lose control of his bowels and he wouldn't be able to breathe. If cardiac muscle was paralysed, Lord Murphy would enter cardiac arrest immediately.

I personally would not target muscles, per se, if you want to keep Lord Murphy breathing and talking. Even if you only paralyse skeletal muscles, he wouldn't be able to do either. What I'd use to replicate a Strength-damaging poison would be, simple as it sounds, a local acetyl-choline agonist. Wherever the blade cuts or the bolt/arrow sinks, the poison occupies all the acetyl-choline receptors in the muscle around the wound to generate numbness and regional paralysis. Eventually, the body would "flush" the agonist out and eliminate it like any other substance (hepatic degradation followed by renal elimination) in a rate that we could equate to the character regaining the damaged Strength points.

What you suggest could well be a poison that forces successive Fort saves to avoid dying, with a cumulative +1 to the DC for every successful save. Unless the antidote is administered or the victim manages to survive for a given number of rounds, they enter cardiac arrest and die.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I think the assasination attempt was to create a rift between Lamplight and Lord Murphy.
    I hope we get to see team gale next.
    P.S- So you're gonna be a doctor
    P.P.S- I think I found your old drawings (remind me of Game of Thrones).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Where did you get these?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight12 View Post
    I would not recommend targetting myosin specifically. Skeletal muscle is not the only type of muscle with myosin, and something that has such a wide-ranging effect would actually affect all types of muscles, including smooth muscle and cardiac muscle. If smooth muscle was paralysed, Lord Murphy would not only be unable to speak, he'd also lose control of his bowels and he wouldn't be able to breathe. If cardiac muscle was paralysed, Lord Murphy would enter cardiac arrest immediately.

I personally would not target muscles, per se, if you want to keep Lord Murphy breathing and talking. Even if you only paralyse skeletal muscles, he wouldn't be able to do either. What I'd use to replicate a Strength-damaging poison would be, simple as it sounds, a local acetyl-choline agonist. Wherever the blade cuts or the bolt/arrow sinks, the poison occupies all the acetyl-choline receptors in the muscle around the wound to generate numbness and regional paralysis. Eventually, the body would "flush" the agonist out and eliminate it like any other substance (hepatic degradation followed by renal elimination) in a rate that we could equate to the character regaining the damaged Strength points.

What you suggest could well be a poison that forces successive Fort saves to avoid dying, with a cumulative +1 to the DC for every successful save. Unless the antidote is administered or the victim manages to survive for a given number of rounds, they enter cardiac arrest and die.
    I realized I forgot to mention that it only targets skeletal muscle, and doesn't affect speech, halfway to the party and it was too late to go back and edit it. But that's a really good idea (and another one I had), and it's probably used in a different type of strength poison. Perhaps a dex poison would randomly activate the receptors, causing sporadic jerking movements making it extremely difficult to control coordinated movements...

Also, the comic's really small for some reason. I'm going to see if I can go back and edit it.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-04-15 at 12:11 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

I realized I forgot to mention that it only targets skeletal muscle halfway. and doesn't affect speech, to the party and it was too late to go back and edit it. But that's a really good idea (and another one I had), and it's probably used in a different type of strength poison. Perhaps a dex poison would randomly activate the receptors, causing sporadic jerking movements making it extremely difficult to control coordinated movements...

Also, the comic's really small for some reason. I'm going to see if I can go back and edit it.
    Well, considering that Dex 0 (which would be the poison's goal) is paralysis rather than convulsions (and the main difference between Str 0 and Dex 0 is that the character does not fall down), I think it may well be something neural again. I think a good Dex poison would cause the muscles to lock up and become rigid. Something that temporarily blocks the chloride channels in skeletal muscle (to simulate a specific type of myotonia, which is caused by a genetic deficit of voltage-dependent chloride channels in skeletal muscle) should do the trick.
    Last edited by Shadowknight12; 2012-04-15 at 02:31 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Just a question...
    Genetical is a word?

Edit: Apologies for pointing out the only error like that.
    Couldn't help myself.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-04-15 at 02:14 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Just a question...
    Genetical is a word?
    Seldom used, but yes. I blame English not being my first language.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Amazing. Both are acceptable.

However, I've never heard genetical used, so I assume it's falling out of use.

Genetical literally means "pertaining to the science of genetics".
    Genetic is an adjective that means "having some of the characteristics of genes".

They're both suitably valid.
    And yes, English is confusing the people who have it as their native language too.

Dragons!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Amazing. Both are acceptable.

However, I've never heard genetical used, so I assume it's falling out of use.

Genetical literally means "pertaining to the science of genetics".
    Genetic is an adjective that means "having some of the characteristics of genes".

They're both suitably valid.
    And yes, English is confusing the people who have it as their native language too.
    Ah, I didn't know that subtle difference. I'll try to use each word for its intended use from now on, then. The English language, much like a bar of soap, becomes more treacherous the surer you are of your grasp of it. Thanks for explaining!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

The minor technical differences between the two words don't actually mean anything.
    But yes, English is as treacherous as a bar of soap.
    And numerous significantly more dangerous things.

Dragons!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Where did you get these?
    Crack pairings. And I think Coffee learned about medieval history (15 years old as legal marriage and primae noctis.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Crack pairings. And I think Coffee learned about medieval history (15 years old as legal marriage and primae noctis.
    that and it's written in many D&D rulebooks that humans are mature adults at 15.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Geez, is the assassin that bad at aiming his dagger that he couldn't stab an eye? Dagger through skull is a difficult position, but sharp object in eyeball is much simplier and efficient.

Enough bad humor jokes about incompetent assassins who rely on poison, Murphy knows something about Rust. Guess for next comic? Expositions from Murphy on things. They're in the same room, Rust is leaving, and Alexia looks like an orc! Puurfect exposition time.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-04-15 at 10:50 AM. Reason: NEEDS CAPS
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Geez, is the assassin that bad at aiming his dagger that he couldn't stab an eye? Dagger through skull is a difficult position, but sharp object in eyeball is much simplier and efficient.

Enough bad humor jokes about incompetent assassins who rely on poison, Murphy knows something about Rust. Guess for next comic? Expositions from Murphy on things. They're in the same room, Rust is leaving, and Alexia looks like an orc! Puurfect exposition time.
    D20 Rule, mate!
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    The assassin had been impaled through the gut on a greatsword. He used his own momentum as he slid down the blade to stab Murphy. Frankly I'm impressed he had enough strength and focus left to get a single hit off.

Puurfect exposition time.
    Let's just say it's a good thing I've got another month or so until finals, so you guys have a few weeks of comics before a break--and then it's summer!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Am I the only one who noticed that Miles addressed someone as "Lord Rust"? Either this was purely accidental on Coffee's part or Miles managed to stealth-insult two people at once.

Also, I don't think an assassin planning to kill the Lord of Kago would rely on using Strength poison. Injure and scare him, maybe, but if he was really going for the kill, he would have used Constitution poison.

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by Alagaesian View Post
    Am I the only one who noticed that Miles addressed someone as "Lord Rust"? Either this was purely accidental on Coffee's part or Miles managed to stealth-insult two people at once.
    That was a mistake, but Miles would do something like that. Particularly if he was stressed, sleep-deprived, paranoid, and currently watching the last of his influence and good favor in the court drain away...Oh, wait. So yeah, I goofed but it was an in-character goof; I don't think I'm going to change it.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

That was a mistake, but Miles would do something like that. Particularly if he was stressed, sleep-deprived, paranoid, and currently watching the last of his influence and good favor in the court drain away...Oh, wait. So yeah, I goofed but it was an in-character goof; I don't think I'm going to change it.
    Why I am thinking that Rust will frame Lamplight (Lamplight is in Lexington's room which means a good accusation for plotting an assassination attempt)?
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Only one person needs to run off to fetch Hyperion. This would leave one person behind to guard Alexis and Murphy from a possible follow-up assassination attempt. I'm betting that Murphy is going to physically order Lexington to be the one to stay behind, given Murphy's current attitude towards Miles. Thus, if another assassination attempt comes through and kills everyone in the room, not only is Rust immediately crowned Lord, but Miles is put in a suspicious enough to position to be hanged.

If this is Rust's true plan, I applaud his status as a Chessmaster. I doubt that entire plan would actually go off without a hitch, however. It would be dreadfully wasteful to kill both Lexi and Miles, characters Coffee has spent around 20 strips developing, and Lexi sort of has immunity as the main character's love interest anyways.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

I'm hoping were kind of done with General Murphy and Rust corruption at the moment.

We have a hyperactive half-elf and companions to return to.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alagaesian View Post
    and Lexi sort of has immunity as the main character's love interest anyways.
    I just want to delurk to place my bets: Lexi's status as a character's love interest is a death sentence. Miles is in that awkward position between "main character's friend and also too useful and intelligent to live" (which would also be a death sentence) and "Someone has to remain behind to explain everything to the heroes" so it's really a toss up whether he lives or dies (my bet is on "Dies after passing on some valuable knowledge").

Also, Murphy's days are numbered. In the single digits, most likely. This wasn't supposed to be a real assassination attempt (the assassin was too unprepared), but a set-up so that Rust can later kill Murphy and blame it on "the assassins" while also having an excuse to conduct an inquisition immediately afterwards in the name of "justice."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

We know that Rust will control General Murphy through his stupidity (or Rust's gambits). Here's the questions...
    - What if the "evil" gods (Rockwell, Drow, and goblinoids) were actually good guys and Sallblaze is planning to backstab Astrid (Maybe the story is unreliable sources)? Or Evil god =/= Evil people.
    - What if Rust is actually knight templar who wanted to exterminate the "evil" Plavaans? We know his plan but we not not clearly know his intentions.
    - Will Laria be prepared for possible invasions by racist and imperialist kago (or starving, racist, and desperate kago)?
    - Why are the drows living in the swamp, instead of caves?
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight12 View Post
    I just want to delurk to place my bets: Lexi's status as a character's love interest is a death sentence.
    By my experience, that's only true if the character is there to see their love interest die. If they die and the character wasn't there to see it, then it loses most of the dramatic flare, which is what makes killing the love interest such an appealing plot device in the first place. Lloyd is currently hundreds of miles away from Lexi - thus, Lexi likely has a temporary immunity to death until Lloyd returns to Kago.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

We know that Rust will control General Murphy through his stupidity (or Rust's gambits). Here's the questions...
    - What if the "evil" gods (Rockwell, Drow, and goblinoids) were actually good guys and Sallblaze is planning to backstab Astrid (Maybe the story is unreliable sources)? Or Evil god =/= Evil people.
    - What if Rust is actually knight templar who wanted to exterminate the "evil" Plavaans? We know his plan but we not not clearly know his intentions.
    - Will Laria be prepared for possible invasions by racist and imperialist kago (or starving, racist, and desperate kago)?
    - Why are the drows living in the swamp, instead of caves?
    1. I don't think Murphy is dumb. He just isn't Miles.
    2. The whole " 'evil' gods means evil people thing got thoroughly debunked like, a looong time ago. The whole Lloyd killing innocents... thing did alot to clear up any confusion on this topic in Coffeelandia.
    3. Rust, to me, seems to be some variant of a lower planes high ranking devil/demon/stupid terminology. But I didn't follow this comic until like, 2 threads ago so I missed out on that speculation.
    4. This is a different "setting", where there are Plaavian. As in, the faux genetics and magic/evolution that most D&D settings have are conveniently ignored and turned into "Plaavians. They exist. A bunch of gods did it." And we get SCIENCE in our magic. Because YES! (Yay science. :P)

And to elaborate on my "exposition" time, I think Murphy knows that Rust is not to be trusted. And will apologize to our good paranoid Miles for being mean, since he had to get Rust to think he was 'in his pocket', as it were.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-04-15 at 10:47 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.