New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 8: College? What About It?

Whew. Computer screen flunked out on me; just got a replacement. I was overdue anyways.

Anyways, wow. In the space of 4 comics, you've introduced ~400 new questions.

That's why I like Murphy's Law.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

Sorry guys; it's finals week so I can only work on the comic for about half an hour or so a day.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Sorry guys; it's finals week so I can only work on the comic for about half an hour or so a day.
    Good luck on your finals.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Why are you working on it at all to begin with? Get back to studying!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Finals already? I may not be in college, but mine aren't for a few more weeks!

Actually... wow... they really snuck up on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

You too? I swear everyone I know is either done with finals already or are having them this week. Everytime I get on Facebook there's a new message about how someone is so glad to finally be home and I'm stuck here for three more weeks. Guess this is karma coming back to bite me for being all kinds of smug for starting like, a month later than all of them. Good luck on your own finals though! Don't only do half the thing because you didn't realize it was double-sided or something! (I know someone who did that... baaaad day.)

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

There are 10 types of people in this world:
    Those that know ternary,
    those that don't
    and those that thought this was a binary joke.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nope! My UC is on the quarter system, my finals are on the 13th and 14th of next month. I can't wait. Coming from a college that did semesters I would be done in a week or two, and the 3rd quarter really beats you up the first time.
    Thanks asdf for the 90% Link 10% Alex avatar!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

*Looks at current comic (181 I think):*

Smooooooth, Miles. Well played.
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2012-05-08 at 05:45 AM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Who prepares Quickened Summon Monster I for a 5th-level spell slot?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    Maybe it's actually Sudden Quickened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    Anyone who needs a plausible source of a sound that isn't plainly magical or illusionary.

Or anyone who's paranoid enough to save two spell slots per day for the following:

Protocol: Before resting at the end of the day, cast a future-telling spell (in one of the saved slots) and ask "what spell would be most useful for me to prepare in my situation slot (the other saved one) tomorrow, named according to the list I am holding?"

The list would chart all spells as root words, and all metamagics as prefixes or suffixes, so that the correct spell can be given as one word. Once one has more questions availible, save more than one slot for the situation spell.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Anyone who needs a plausible source of a sound that isn't plainly magical or illusionary.

Or anyone who's paranoid enough to save two spell slots per day for the following:

Protocol: Before resting at the end of the day, cast a future-telling spell (in one of the saved slots) and ask "what spell would be most useful for me to prepare in my situation slot (the other saved one) tomorrow, named according to the list I am holding?"

The list would chart all spells as root words, and all metamagics as prefixes or suffixes, so that the correct spell can be given as one word. Once one has more questions availible, save more than one slot for the situation spell.
    Win. xD Ridiculously gamey in an IC way, but win.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Win. xD Ridiculously gamey in an IC way, but win.
    Well, as it still fits within IC logic (paranoid, but still), it works.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I got lucky.
    My english class will not have final test but we have to turn in our paper within the class time.
    Speech class also will not have final test.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I think I got lucky.
    My english class will not have final test but we have to turn in our paper within the class time.
    Speech class also will not have final test.
    I wouldn't want for any of my own finals to be canceled really. For most of my classes the final will mean a difference between a B and an A. Mostly in intro to digital systems as the TA who grades my lab reports seems to have something against all human beings everywhere.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

There are 10 types of people in this world:
    Those that know ternary,
    those that don't
    and those that thought this was a binary joke.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

One of the great parts about my college is that I literally started my vacation in mid-April. Not only does my vacation literally take up one third of the year, but because my college gets off a week earlier than most other ones, I was able to snag a summer job fairly easily.

Also, a very weird coincidence: I just realized that one of my engineering classmates was named Caroline Kramer. Same spelling and everything. She obviously isn't Coffee, but I thought it would be mildly entertaining for Coffee to know that she has an evil twin here in Michigan.

Also, in regards to the "what kind of person would prepare that spell" question, we already have evidence that Miles is heavily suspicious of Rust and probably completely paranoid. It wouldn't be unlikely to assume that Miles would prepare that entire three-spell combo every day so he would be prepared in the event that someone catches him snooping where he shouldn't be. Heck, he might have Readied that Quickened Invisibility spell in case he fumbled a Move Silently check while eavesdropping on Rust.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

I wouldn't put it past him to prepare a wide variety of spells for emergency situations.
    After all, he is unlikely to need to need to use damaging spells (Rust is unlikely to do something so foolish as to attack someone), and he can do that with a wand of magic missile or something.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post

Best of all, this advanced state of paranoia is currently in character.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    It's not paranoia when they're really after you.

20. - Top - End - #200

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alagaesian View Post
    One of the great parts about my college is that I literally started my vacation in mid-April. Not only does my vacation literally take up one third of the year, but because my college gets off a week earlier than most other ones, I was able to snag a summer job fairly easily.

Also, a very weird coincidence: I just realized that one of my engineering classmates was named Caroline Kramer. Same spelling and everything. She obviously isn't Coffee, but I thought it would be mildly entertaining for Coffee to know that she has an evil twin here in Michigan.

Also, in regards to the "what kind of person would prepare that spell" question, we already have evidence that Miles is heavily suspicious of Rust and probably completely paranoid. It wouldn't be unlikely to assume that Miles would prepare that entire three-spell combo every day so he would be prepared in the event that someone catches him snooping where he shouldn't be. Heck, he might have Readied that Quickened Invisibility spell in case he fumbled a Move Silently check while eavesdropping on Rust.
    Exactly! Miles has always been a rather suspicious fellow, but now he's completely paranoid! Also, dun, dun dun with the other me...Though no. I am not an engineering student. At all. Physics... *Shudder* I AM prevet though, which is like premed but with even more grade obsession because there's only 28 vet schools in the US and I've got my sights set on Cornell Vet School, the best in the country. And I'm taking organic chemistry next year.

To get back on topic, I really don't know if I can get this update in before finals end and I go home; my first final is tonight and even though I'm confident in gen chem, I'm not nearly as confident in statistics and physiology and I have to get a LOT of studying in. I can do it, it's just not going to be fun. At all.

But if I can't get the comic up before I go home, I am getting a tablet as an early birthday present within a couple days of heading home, so would you wait a few extra days if I can't get it up by Wednesday for me to get a hang of the tablet? The comics won't be completely tablet-drawn, but it'll make a bunch of details and stuff a lot easier, especially since I'm a lefty but I've kinda been trained to use a mouse/touchpad with my right hand.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Of course we're willing to wait.
    It's better to take as much time as you want than to rush it.
    Not like you're getting paid to produce Murphy's Law at this time.
    (Though, if I had money and they were available, I would buy it in book form)
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Also, dun, dun dun with the other me...Though no. I am not an engineering student. At all. Physics... *Shudder* I AM prevet though, which is like premed but with even more grade obsession because there's only 28 vet schools in the US and I've got my sights set on Cornell Vet School, the best in the country. And I'm taking organic chemistry next year.
    Your evil twin was in my programming class. One of the things I love about studying engineering is that you don't need a twitchy-eyed obsession with your GPA to continue along your career path. You essentially just have to pass your classes and make sure everything you learned in college doesn't leak out your ears the moment you graduate. Then again, you'd need to study physics. And four terms of calculus. And somehow cobble together the degree requirement of 128 credits (16 credits/term, on average). It's not for the faint of heart, let me tell you.

You should also be happy to know that being a good drawer makes orgo much easier to handle, especially at the beginning. Also, the class will teach you how to draw regular polygons with both speed and accuracy. You might be able to get away with drawing comics on your tablet as structured procrastination.

So, yeah, don't worry about posting a new comic until after your exams are over. If you put up something and failed a class because it cut into your study time, the ensuing guilt would far outweigh any gains we might achieve by getting the comic a few days early.

23. - Top - End - #203

as an ochem major, i can safely say, you will love it or hate it, but you will ALWAYS use it.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

COFFEE MY FRIEND. Just posting here to say that I'm not dead yet and also that I have finished drawing Serrin and Fir.

I draw pictures:

(haven't been updated in a while and you can read the comic here)

25. - Top - End - #205

Sweetness; I can't wait to see it!

Studying's going fine here guys. Thank you for being so patient.

26. - Top - End - #206

Guys, my last final's tomorrow and hopefully it'll go as well as my first two did. Assuming I'm not sleep deprived, I think I'll do okay. Physiology's going to be my hardest final, but I actually get the material, or at least enough of it to do well. Now here's hoping I do well enough to get an A- in the class; I'm right on the A/B borderline.

Anyway, I'm posting this because I'm headed home Wednesday, which means that there WILL be an update by Saturday at the absolute latest; even if I don't get my tablet by then. So hang tight, and I'm sorry for the delay!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Guys, my last final's tomorrow and hopefully it'll go as well as my first two did. Assuming I'm not sleep deprived, I think I'll do okay. Physiology's going to be my hardest final, but I actually get the material, or at least enough of it to do well. Now here's hoping I do well enough to get an A- in the class; I'm right on the A/B borderline.

Anyway, I'm posting this because I'm headed home Wednesday, which means that there WILL be an update by Saturday at the absolute latest; even if I don't get my tablet by then. So hang tight, and I'm sorry for the delay!
    May the luck be with you. We can wait for the comic later.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

28. - Top - End - #208

You draw Murphy's Law with a tablet?
    Currently playing a "blind" (Miraluka) sniper in a Star Wars SAGA Edition RP

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Knight View Post
    You draw Murphy's Law with a tablet?
    She's supposed to be getting one for her birthday soon, or something. It was mentioned a few pages back I think.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    She's supposed to be getting one for her birthday soon, or something. It was mentioned a few pages back I think.
    Thanks. And here I was thinking I had found the secret to her success of getting comics out on a set schedule. I guess I still have something to learn about "college-level diligence".
    Currently playing a "blind" (Miraluka) sniper in a Star Wars SAGA Edition RP