New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Analogue, A Hate Story

Analogue, A Hate Story

Ok, I think this might be the first VN I've ever seen on Steam, and have to say, it was a great surprise. ;) IIRC, it's got some connection to the Don't Take It Personally creators, (if the title wasn't enough of a hint ) Not sure how much, but if you were annoyed at the ending of that one (I know I was), don't let that affect you here. Multiple endings, that can play out very differently, and an interesting question asked in the narrative.

So, anyone else played it yet? Any thoughts?

Also, little spoilery note, but it caught me out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't access Mute's questions at all until you're ready to end the game. Don't even look at them. It's not a direct link in the narrative, just the game needing some sort of arbitrary point, but they'll trigger... something

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Analogue, A Hate Story

I loved Digital, a Love Story to bits and Don't Take It Personally wasn't bad, either.

So, yes. I've been interested in trying this out for the longest time.

For anyone who has played all three games, which one of the first two does this one resemble the most? Is it more Digital, where you unravel a mystery and form a strong bond with a single central character, or more Don't Take It Personally, which was about exploring all these dating sim scenarios. Analogue seems to have elements of both, or maybe the visual style is just filling my mind with prejudice.

I suppose what I'm thinking about in a nutshell is: is this game about seducing AI girls or is there more to the story than that?
    Last edited by Comet; 2012-04-28 at 05:29 AM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Sounds intriguing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

A hell of a lot more. :)

I've completed one ending, and thus, whilst other paths might handle things slightly differently, it's a lot more Digital in what it's focusing on. You're spending most of your time looking over old emails, investigating the political affairs of the ship and the circumstances under which everyone died. You'll probably guess who the killer was and how fairly quickly, but then, the question becomes why. You'll talk to the AIs, discuss what happened with them (they were there, after all) but the focus is on the investigation aspect, learning about the past.

The romance stuff... eh. It's there, and there's the cosplay stuff (which seemed a little forces to me, but just a little), but it's pretty much all at the end. Before that, there's a little implication, (mostly due to the two's relief to be talking to someone) but mostly, you just talk to the characters, offer your opinions to them, work with them on the investigation. Your relationship with them is what drives the eventual romance stuff, for better or worse, and even with the romance... you can read it in multiple ways, including a pretty platonic one.
    Last edited by Croakamancer; 2012-04-28 at 07:02 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I liked Digital better, probably because of the setting, but Analogue is pretty enjoyable too.

Also, it's not a dating sim. The romance, if you can get there, is simply a consequence of putting a hacker and a couple of "female" AIs in the same room.

It's more about uncovering a... let's say "dark" event, and you deciding how you feel about it.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-04-28 at 01:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eh, Cespenar, I don't want to derail the topic, but I do find it an interesting comparison. I have Digital installed, I've tried to play it... but I honestly did not like the way it was done. At all. I can get the aesthetic the basics of the interface, but not knowing what your character is saying except through implication, being pretty much thrown into this world...

Again, personal preference. but I'd say Analogue is somewhere between the two. Would you think it fair to describe it as a combination of some of Digital's subject matter, and basic framing device, with the aesthetics and more linear presentation of Don't Take It Personally?

Also, the feelings thing pass my favouriate test. You can find people of various forums making dramatic posts in favour of both sides of the issue

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, Digital is very different from Analogue (), so I'd understand the dislike. I personally liked the thing they did with not showing you what your character says, and how they threw you in the setting, but... preferences, as you said.

I actually didn't hear about Don't Take It Personally until in this thread. Is it good?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's... arguable. :)

Ok, off topic time!

It's much more of a traditional visual novel, a narrative focused around school kids, and a player character, their teacher. (Named, and defined) It mostly plays like a VN, but with the side element of you being able to view what's going on on the social network at any point (pausing the ongoing novel part). You get to see your students talking to one another, reacting to things, what people aren't outright saying to you.

And private messages. Including ones you might get nervous about reading.

You make some choices, though not many, but as with the other two, it's the narrative and interest in these characters that sucks you in. You've got some very well handled gay characters, an interesting take on the bully archetype (at least interesting to me, not sure how she came across for others) You've got a fair sized cast, but you do care about them, and come results day, you want them to do well. (and your choices can mess with that, I think)

The thing that IIRC divides people, however, is the ending (ME3, eat your heart out)

I won't spoil it, but it gives one plotline an arguably disappointing resolution, (I personally found it kinda clever, but a bit of a let down) and an overarching plotline about what the school's doing (with teachers spying on the kids) ends in... what amounts to a pretty blatant Author Filibuster. Even if you agreed with it's conclusion, it's pretty obvious 'this is the point', and probably the weakest thing Love's written yet just for that blatancy.

That, and it's a weird filibuster, too. I mean, if you're going to argue a point, that?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I see. That's... probably as descriptive as it can be without giving spoilers. I'll probably give it a try, even if only out of respect for Digital and Analogue.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

FWIW, I was trying to be neutral up there. If you want my personal opinion on the ending/game overall...

Eh. Better than Mass Effect 3 ;)

Yeah, some parts of the conclusion are Fubarred, but it's still Love's writing, and that's not the note you leave things on. You get to see the finals, the exam results, the culmination of your relationship with these students, hints of what might happen in the future. I'm guessing it's for better or worse. I'm not sure how it stacks up against comparable games, but I enjoyed it, and if it's just opinion... yeah, I'd give it a rec. I just know that's not for everyone.

FTR, relationships between the students are a pretty major focus, and they do get sexual, or can, and there's a potential romance plot between your character and one of the students. You're not shown anything, and are certainly not forced into that romance plot, but... FYI.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Croakamancer View Post
    FTR, relationships between the students are a pretty major focus, and they do get sexual, or can, and there's a potential romance plot between your character and one of the students. You're not shown anything, and are certainly not forced into that romance plot, but... FYI.
    I don't have any problems with that, but since other people can, thanks for the consideration.