New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,479 of 1479
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: League of Legends XXXII: Cupcakes and Kittens and Squirrels. Oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Um...

You say that, to prevent cheating, there's a 3-minute delay.

You also say that there's a rewind option.

I would hope that the rewind can't bypass the delay? Not meaning to slight you, but sometimes people can miss the obvious.

Don't ask me about the quarry supervisor I met on an Earth Science field trip today...
    You mean fast forward to actual live play? I'd hope that the 3 minute delay applies to the spectator server sending the information to the client rather than a limitation coded into the client. There are ways to circumvent the client if the information has been transmitted but not displayed yet.

What I meant by DVR controls is that the spectator can rewind back to view something that happened in the game, but that won't affect the people actually playing the game.
    Last edited by Joran; 2012-04-27 at 08:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    You mean fast forward to actual live play? I'd hope that the 3 minute delay applies to the spectator server sending the information to the client rather than a limitation coded into the client. There are ways to circumvent the client if the information has been transmitted but not displayed yet.
    That's what I meant, and that's what I was hoping: the hard-coded server delay.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not able to give information that hasn't already been given on replays.
    That's mostly confined to: All tech developed for spectator is developed with replays in mind. The dev team constructing spectator is the same team constructing the replay system (Their internal name is: The watch team.)

Timeshift:
    It can't move beyond the 3 minute mark.

Core portions of how the system works:
    1. When you join a replay, you're get a package of information that details everything in the game up to the spectator server's offset (3 minutes back). When you timeshift, you don't ask the server for more information, you simply rewind through those actions you've already been given. The server is constantly telling you more stuff while you're doing this.
    2. The server offset is defined by that game line firstly. The spectator server you're connecting to can't give you data after the offset, it simply doesn't have that functionality built on it anywhere.
    3. If you were a pro hacker and managed to log in to the spectator server and then poll its running services for data, you would discover you could actually get data in the future.... by about 1 second faster than the 3 minute delay. The spectator servers are being fed data as well, they don't even get the current state of the game since the relay line controls that.

On another note, we've been using these features for awhile internally. This isn't a "Look what we just made!" announcement. This is a "Look what we just polished!" announcement.

All feature teams actually have a completely separate development cycle style from champion and live design development cycles.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Basically, rewinding increases your effective delay, not decreases it. Fast-forwarding is only possible up to "your" present, which is three minutes behind the "in-game" present.
    delete Teemo.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You mention that the 3 minute delay is enforced by the spectator server receiving information through a relay with delay.
    Is this for a technical reason, like memory requirements of delay (seems like you'll spend the memory somewhere, but you might be able to split it up) or some sort of processing delay?
    Or is it just to prevent the possibility of cheating in some way?

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ettin in the Playground

I think SweetRein should start the next thread.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah:

League of Legends XXXIII: This thread is Riot-employee-approved!

Oh, wait... that would mean no "Mundo of Thrones and Game of Mundo"...

Never mind!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Bugbear in the Playground

Consensus appears to be on the Game of Thrones parodies, and Game of Mundo, in my opinion, sounds better. Starting new thread.

Edit:

New thread.
    Last edited by Darth Mario; 2012-04-27 at 09:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mario View Post
    Consensus appears to be on the Game of Thrones parodies, and Game of Mundo, in my opinion, sounds better. Starting new thread.

Edit:

New thread.
    You heard him everyone.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28