Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 274
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    You can have hard SciFi with aliens.
    Sure you can, but not having them makes it easier.
    Interstellar distances are big.
    Not walk to the post office big, not to the moon big, not even to the Kuiper belt big.
    Just . . .big.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BRC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On Paper
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    I know, I know. I'm a Dr. Who fan. I can life with terrible math and science squishier than week old meatloaf.

    But the "programming" thing annoys me quite a bit, hard or not.
    Fill me in on this "Programmed to psychologically destroy people" thing?
    Spoiler
    Show

    I've only read the first two books, but the closest I can get is the birds in Catching Fire that mimic the screaming sounds of the Tribute's loved ones, and those are basically just biological tape recorders.

    I suppose there are the Wolf-Things in the first book that are supposed to look like the Dead Tributes, but I don't see how that's anything special beyond physical appearance.
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-04-07 at 07:10 PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SamBurke's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    You lost the game.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    The muttations?

    It explicitly says, "they were programmed to play with their prey psychologically." That's pretty close to an actual quote... lemme see if I can find it in the book.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

    Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

    First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Xondoure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I'm sure it's somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    The muttations?

    It explicitly says, "they were programmed to play with their prey psychologically." That's pretty close to an actual quote... lemme see if I can find it in the book.
    Could be psychological programming. No need for that part to be genetic is there? Even if it is there is precedent for such instincts. Just look at house cats.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show


    3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Hazzardevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    What's this planet again?
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    My generation is significantly younger than you, Grey, but we had our share of mystery books too. We still read the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. But we also had the Animorphs and Goosebumps. Call me young and desensitized, but I don't think the violence in the Hunger Games was terribly graphic or disturbing. No, seriously. Read the books and then watch the news, and think long and hard about which is more upsetting.

    What makes you say that its marketed towards eleven-year-olds? I haven't met anyone younger than 15 who's read the books and I assure you by that point I would have at least realized there was a reason she was showing us the game operators, and honestly the violence wouldn't have phased. Then again, I'm a blood-thirsty American pig.

    Your last point is mostly accurate but fails to make the distinction between biological maturity, psychological maturity, and the maturity as seen by society, which are probably roughly 15, 22, and 18-21 respectively.
    I'd just like to say that in Britain England, Hampshire we have a competition each year where we read 6 books voted in by the people who are in the year above us in school. We're 12/13 at the time and the first book was voted the best book out of the 6 that year.
    The books that year weren't paticuerly good that year, but Suzanne Collins didn't turn up to the award ceremony so people in hampshire are a bit jaded against her.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

    Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Mauve Shirt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pelican City
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    What a terrible horrible good movie!
    I've never read the books, so I can't complain about the myriad problems I'm sure there are. What I can complain about is the fact that at the beginning I was all "These rich people and the media and the government are despicable and I hope they die in a fiery explosion". The "Reaping" was just a horrible heart-wrenching scene.
    Then of course the hunger games start and I start cheering for the main character and watching this battle royale as eagerly as the bad guys. SCREW YOU MOVIE!!!!
    I enjoyed it and will watch the sequels and read the books.
    bees

    Iron Avatarist is on hiatus. Feel free to admire my trophies, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

    I am not brave enough to say something outrageous and be serious. You'll be happier if you assume I'm joking.
    Playgrounders say the darndest things.
    Stealthy Kurienatar!

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground
     
    t209's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/592902'
    I did not watch the movie (or the book) but I think I know about the details about the Hungergames rules (spoilered due to sameness of the movies).
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you move too early before the elevator reach to the surface, it explodes.
    pick up bag and run and proceed to kill each other.
    Pony Minecraft Avatar by Dirtytabs
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Pokonic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Malbolge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Could be psychological programming. No need for that part to be genetic is there? Even if it is there is precedent for such instincts. Just look at house cats.
    Yeah, this is it. Aggressiveness, willingness to kill? Sounds like they might simply stick them within a cage for most of there short lives, probably injecting them with some nasty mind-altering substances for taste, and then they have there killing mechines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    Spoiler: Old avatars
    Show


  9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    On that note, she really needs to take some basic biology and economics classes...

    The "muttations" are "programmed" to psychologically destroy people. WUT. Seriously, woman, that is NOT HOW IT WORKS. You couldn't even do that to a flipping computer. Get DNA right, if you could, please.

    Also, the entire energy sector numbers 8600. They make coal for everyone. There can be no more than
    [1/2 Women, who appear not to work in that way. -4300- Innumerable guards, rulers, etc. Their families. -3800- 1/2 Children, who also do not work in such a way. -1900- Most people seem to also do other work (Bakers, Greasy Mae, Gale, Katniss, and almost everyone who's mentioned, except Katniss' father have jobs other than the mines). That leaves maybe a few hundred, let's say -600- to be extremely, extremely, generous.] 600 workers in the mines. That's being generous, too.
    I'd think you're overestimating the number of gaurds/rulers. ( Especially as gaurds might be from the Capital and so not counted)
    Also I'd guess children start working early (its not like the Capital will want them too educated)
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Reasonably sure the author researched almost nothing for the books anyway. There's just so much wrong in areas that are stupidly easy to research (i.e. 2 minutes on wikipedia) like archery, hunting, fishing, plants...

    How did all that get by the 3 editors anyway?

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LokeyITP View Post
    Reasonably sure the author researched almost nothing for the books anyway. There's just so much wrong in areas that are stupidly easy to research (i.e. 2 minutes on wikipedia) like archery, hunting, fishing, plants...

    How did all that get by the 3 editors anyway?
    If you think the majority of the audience of this movie cares about the finer points of archery and fishing, I've got a lovely bridge to sell you.

    All it has to do is LOOK authentic, and then only to the most rudimentarily-trained eyes at best.
    Sandharrow by Chris the Pontifex
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, please don't start threads with ideas you don't support just to see what reactions you get. That's almost the definition of trolling.

    Second, the whole "blue text" thing is not a forum rule or even a recommended procedure. If someone wants to do it in their own posts, fine, but everyone should stop telling people that they "need to" or "should have" posted in blue just because they're being sarcastic/ironic/whatever.

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Mauve Shirt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pelican City
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    True fact: Authentic hunting is boring to watch.
    bees

    Iron Avatarist is on hiatus. Feel free to admire my trophies, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

    I am not brave enough to say something outrageous and be serious. You'll be happier if you assume I'm joking.
    Playgrounders say the darndest things.
    Stealthy Kurienatar!

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    All it has to do is LOOK authentic cool, and then only to the most rudimentarily-trained eyes at best to the majority of the paying audience.
    "Fixed", as it were.

    Anyway, this is correct; there is a reason "Just Didn't Care", "Rule of cool", etc are tropes. If you are lucky, they are the reason, and not just "Didn't Do Their research".
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-04-16 at 07:14 AM.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    "Fixed", as it were.
    Oh indeed

    But "looking cool" is the end goal - a veneer of authenticity is how you get there. For instance, Katniss' initial hunting scene, where we see her stalking the deer - she trails it by reading stuff like bent saplings and tufts of fur caught on a rock, then whiffs her initial shot because she was upwind of the target (and uses the leaves as a brilliant way of conveying this to the audience without saying a word.) Then finally she relocates downwind and only flubs the second shot because of Jacob Gale.

    There's a lot there that does apply to real hunting - moving silently, staying downwind, tracing your target by the passage it leaves. And having her use that stuff is what makes it cool. (Even if in real life, her chances of navigating the woods both silently and without her neon pastiness giving her away to the target at a distance would be pretty slim.)
    Sandharrow by Chris the Pontifex
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, please don't start threads with ideas you don't support just to see what reactions you get. That's almost the definition of trolling.

    Second, the whole "blue text" thing is not a forum rule or even a recommended procedure. If someone wants to do it in their own posts, fine, but everyone should stop telling people that they "need to" or "should have" posted in blue just because they're being sarcastic/ironic/whatever.

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Sneaky Weasel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On the Moon.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    What's this? The Hunger Games? You mean the Battle Royale ripoff?
    I'm never going to watch the movie, never going to read the books. Because frankly I suspect they will be the most underwhelming pieces of fiction since the 32nd Xanth book. I just liked Battle Royale too much to take the same plot seriously when it's a popular children's book(I know a ten year old who loves it). It should be far too horrible for children to be reading, and if it's somehow presented in a way where it's not, then it's lessening the impact severely.
    Hope my bias doesn't offend anyone.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

    Brilliant American McGee's Alice avatar by the fantastic Paisley

    Previous Avatar by the wonderful Strawberries:
    Spoiler
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Weasel View Post
    What's this? The Hunger Games? You mean the Battle Royale ripoff?
    I'm never going to watch the movie, never going to read the books. Because frankly I suspect they will be the most underwhelming pieces of fiction since the 32nd Xanth book. I just liked Battle Royale too much to take the same plot seriously when it's a popular children's book(I know a ten year old who loves it). It should be far too horrible for children to be reading, and if it's somehow presented in a way where it's not, then it's lessening the impact severely.
    Hope my bias doesn't offend anyone.
    It's not the same plot though, it's based on the same concept (that is, kids being put in a fight to the death), but that's as far as it goes. And I do have some idea what I'm talking about, since I've seen the Battle Royal movie.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alberta
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    I personally just finished reading the book . been waiting to see the movie.

    I started reading some of this thread, but I think I need to see the movie first, then come back.

    looks like I have to watch Battle Royale and Hunger Games . no problem...

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ursus the Grim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Massachussets
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    It's not the same plot though, it's based on the same concept (that is, kids being put in a fight to the death), but that's as far as it goes. And I do have some idea what I'm talking about, since I've seen the Battle Royal movie.
    I've personally got to agree. I don't think Susanne Collins meant to rip of Battle Royale. Specifically, the way she skirts graphic depictions of death/gore indicates that she isn't attempting to capture the essence of Battle Royale. Rather, the events of the Games themselves are just a cog in the much larger plot. The third book ties in the developments of the games themselves into something bigger than any game.

    Never mind that the rules and challenges are a little different.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond998 View Post
    I personally just finished reading the book . been waiting to see the movie.

    I started reading some of this thread, but I think I need to see the movie first, then come back.

    looks like I have to watch Battle Royale and Hunger Games . no problem...
    Yeah, people like to point their nose to the sun and say its derivative of Battle Royale. Battle Royale is certainly good, if you like heaping spoonfuls of grimdark. But it's derivative in the same way Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a ripoff of Blade. . . honestly I can't recall which of the two examples came first, but the point is that a similar premise does not a rip-off make.
    Mah Hoembroos!
    Avatar by the megatalented Ceika.

    Due to personal/health issues, I must once again put all activity on the backburner for now. My deepest apologies.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Seth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Weasel View Post
    Hope my bias doesn't offend anyone.
    It didn't offend me, but it does make me wonder why you decided to come into the topic and post solely to announce you had no interest in the topic.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-04-21 at 04:05 AM.
    Check out my YouTube channel! I do Let's Plays!
    Currently Let's Playing: NetHack

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground
     
    0Megabyte's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Weasel View Post
    What's this? The Hunger Games? You mean the Battle Royale ripoff?
    I'm never going to watch the movie, never going to read the books. Because frankly I suspect they will be the most underwhelming pieces of fiction since the 32nd Xanth book. I just liked Battle Royale too much to take the same plot seriously when it's a popular children's book(I know a ten year old who loves it). It should be far too horrible for children to be reading, and if it's somehow presented in a way where it's not, then it's lessening the impact severely.
    Hope my bias doesn't offend anyone.

    What's that? Battle Royale? You mean that The Running Man ripoff?

    I'm sorry, I just liked The Running Man too much to take the same plot seriously when it's just some stupid weaboo thing. I hope my bias doesn't offend you.



    Prepare sarcasm shields to maximum.
    Last edited by 0Megabyte; 2012-04-21 at 02:08 AM.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JadedDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    It didn't offend me, but it does make me wonder why you decided to come into the topic and post solely to announce you had no interest in the topic.
    Um, obviously. So we could all be in awe of the fact that he is aware of an obscure Japanese film that never made it to the States. Soooooo coooooool.
    The problem with the more recent editions of D&D is that at some point the term 'player empowerment' was twisted to mean 'player entitlement.'

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Sneaky Weasel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On the Moon.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Well, I just thought that this was a thread for sharing thoughts about the Hunger Games movie franchise, and so I thought I'd give my two cent's worth. If that is somehow unacceptable, than I apologize.
    I've never actually seen the movie adaption of Battle Royale, merely read the book, and I do not see how knowing about either would be awe-inspiring. Or was that a joke?
    I can see the similarities between Battle Royale and The Running Man, but I honestly don't think they can be compared. The Running Man has a completely different plot. Whereas Battle Royale and The Hunger Games are about ordinary people forced to fight one another to the death in an enclosed environment, The Running Man is about one man who is being hunted down by the authorities and can literally go anywhere to avoid them. Similar, but certainly different enough to both be enjoyed without feeling like you're reading the same story twice. Which you aren't.
    Whereas to me, The Hunger Games has almost exactly the same story as Battle Royale, and I much prefer the writing style of the latter. Whether it is a rip-off or not is really impossible to determine, but I don't care to read a plot that has been done before, and done better, in the past. Of course, this is just my personal opinion, and I am certainly not trying to dissuade anyone from reading The Hunger Games. I'm sure it's a worthy book, just not my cup of tea, let's say.
    Last edited by Sneaky Weasel; 2012-04-22 at 01:10 AM.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

    Brilliant American McGee's Alice avatar by the fantastic Paisley

    Previous Avatar by the wonderful Strawberries:
    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Xondoure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I'm sure it's somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Weasel View Post
    Well, I just thought that this was a thread for sharing thoughts about the Hunger Games movie franchise, and so I thought I'd give my two cent's worth. If that is somehow unacceptable, than I apologize.
    I've never actually seen the movie adaption of Battle Royale, merely read the book, and I do not see how knowing about either would be awe-inspiring. Or was that a joke?
    I can see the similarities between Battle Royale and The Running Man, but I honestly don't think they can be compared. The Running Man has a completely different plot. Whereas Battle Royale and The Hunger Games are about ordinary people forced to fight one another to the death in an enclosed environment, The Running Man is about one man who is being hunted down by the authorities and can literally go anywhere to avoid them. Similar, but certainly different enough to both be enjoyed without feeling like you're reading the same story twice. Which you aren't.
    Whereas to me, The Hunger Games has almost exactly the same story as Battle Royale, and I much prefer the writing style of the latter. Whether it is a rip-off or not is really impossible to determine, but I don't care to read a plot that has been done before, and done better, in the past. Of course, this is just my personal opinion, and I am certainly not trying to dissuade anyone from reading The Hunger Games. I'm sure it's a worthy book, just not my cup of tea, let's say.
    Congratulations, all literature is meaningless under your definition. Because every story has been told (and arguably told better) in the past. People have pointed out that the Hunger Games is more than just the games themselves, and that the story it explores is different. If you still refuse to believe the story has any merit whatsoever because of a passing similarity to an older work that is your business. But if you have never actually read or viewed the material than I'm not sure you really have two cents to share.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show


    3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Sneaky Weasel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On the Moon.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    I did once start reading The Hunger Games, but left about halfway through because I didn't really like it. And while it can be said that every story has been told before, there are many stories that are an original and thought provoking take on some other story. Or stories that have been changed so that they are unrecognizable as having been done before. To me, The Hunger Games is just too derivative. However, I do not believe that it has 'no merit whatsoever', nor have I ever stated this. If something I said led you to believe that I had such an absolute viewpoint, then it was merely a misunderstanding of my intent. As I said before, I'm sure it's a worthy book, just not one I'm interested in reading. That's just an opinion, and I'm not trying to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't read. I know there are some books that I like that have questionable merit, and I don't take offence if someone else dislikes them.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

    Brilliant American McGee's Alice avatar by the fantastic Paisley

    Previous Avatar by the wonderful Strawberries:
    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Xondoure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I'm sure it's somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Weasel View Post
    I did once start reading The Hunger Games, but left about halfway through because I didn't really like it. And while it can be said that every story has been told before, there are many stories that are an original and thought provoking take on some other story. Or stories that have been changed so that they are unrecognizable as having been done before. To me, The Hunger Games is just too derivative. However, I do not believe that it has 'no merit whatsoever', nor have I ever stated this. If something I said led you to believe that I had such an absolute viewpoint, then it was merely a misunderstanding of my intent. As I said before, I'm sure it's a worthy book, just not one I'm interested in reading. That's just an opinion, and I'm not trying to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't read. I know there are some books that I like that have questionable merit, and I don't take offence if someone else dislikes them.
    Apologies, that was hyperbole on my part.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show


    3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LokeyITP View Post
    Reasonably sure the author researched almost nothing for the books anyway. There's just so much wrong in areas that are stupidly easy to research (i.e. 2 minutes on wikipedia) like archery, hunting, fishing, plants...

    How did all that get by the 3 editors anyway?
    Read the book, just saw the movie, and what really bugs me:

    Spoiler
    Show

    The forest fire. At least from what I saw, there were only a few small streams, and the entire rest of the area would be highly flammable. Thus, the fire would spread far more quickly and further than it did (the movie explicitly shows the fire on a "minimap"). The gamemasters do have quite a bit of control over the arena, but I don't believe they could have put it out very easily; they'd probably have to douse the whole area for hours (though this could have happened offscreen). Any thoughts?

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Xondoure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I'm sure it's somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamurai77 View Post
    Read the book, just saw the movie, and what really bugs me:

    Spoiler
    Show

    The forest fire. At least from what I saw, there were only a few small streams, and the entire rest of the area would be highly flammable. Thus, the fire would spread far more quickly and further than it did (the movie explicitly shows the fire on a "minimap"). The gamemasters do have quite a bit of control over the arena, but I don't believe they could have put it out very easily; they'd probably have to douse the whole area for hours (though this could have happened offscreen). Any thoughts?
    Spoiler
    Show
    They seem to have pretty impressive control over their traps. A flame retardant border / flooding the area with nonflammable gas which is then vented / something else would hardly be surprising.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show


    3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    They seem to have pretty impressive control over their traps. A flame retardant border / flooding the area with nonflammable gas which is then vented / something else would hardly be surprising.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Entirely possible. I'm not discounting them having a method of containing it, simply observing that it was never shown, nor was there any sign of the fire spreading, which I think it would if left unattended, though I'm no expert.

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wookieetank's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gridania, Eorzea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamurai77 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Entirely possible. I'm not discounting them having a method of containing it, simply observing that it was never shown, nor was there any sign of the fire spreading, which I think it would if left unattended, though I'm no expert.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the books they showed that the gamemasters had control over everything from the temperature, to the weather, to whether or not the streams and lakes even contained water. The fire went out off screen in the book as well, but with the rest of the craziness that the gamemaster did there, it wasn't so hard to rationalize. In the movie however, they weren't shown to have quite as much control of every aspect of the areana as in the books, and the lack of fire damage was a bit of a head scratcher.

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: The Hunger Games film thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the books they showed that the gamemasters had control over everything from the temperature, to the weather, to whether or not the streams and lakes even contained water. The fire went out off screen in the book as well, but with the rest of the craziness that the gamemaster did there, it wasn't so hard to rationalize. In the movie however, they weren't shown to have quite as much control of every aspect of the areana as in the books, and the lack of fire damage was a bit of a head scratcher.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, they already showed they could make fake fire. Remember the dress and the parade costumes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •