http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...ually-divine-a

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Kid Icarus Uprising

Quote Originally Posted by Hullabaloo View Post
    Didnt play it, but did see some info on PA
    http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...ually-divine-a
    The second I saw the word "control", I did a Control-F search to see if they even remotely bothered to take 5 seconds to change the scheme to enable using the buttons instead of the slider. Apparently they did not.

And as such, I call bull on the entire review (which I did read, I just hold that fact rather high for this game). If you can't be bothered with even remotely trying to explore options for even 30 seconds, then you have some problems.

Seriously, if you have a 3DS in your roster, rent this game, at the very least. I'd definitely vote to buy it, but at the very least try it. And change the controls if you're uncomfortable with them (which you totally can do). I'm not even finished with the game and I can't put the thing down. Right now the biggest issue I have with it is that I don't remember to charge my 3DS when I'm sleeping and the power eventually runs out (what with the 3D and Full Brightness and Sound going on), and then I have to take a break to let it charge again.

Seriously. If you have a 3DS, you need to at least give this game a try. It's freaking awesome.

And if you're already playing, we need to exchange information so we can set up a time and play against each other. It's -fun-. Just requires a little set up to do the online, what with the friend codes and such. That's probably Nintendo's biggest weakness: good for local and single player, but not very affective at online play. Then again, at least it's free.

I'll say it once again. Seriously, if you have a 3DS, you owe it to yourself to give this game a try. 9.0 levels of difficulty, 120 missions to accomplish, at least 9 levels (but I can tell there are more), WONDERFUL Air Combat, Great Ground Combat, Fun Multiplayer, EPIC MUSIC, Decent Story, Great Visuals.... I seriously can't point out a legitimate flaw in Kid Icarus Uprising that isn't capable of being remedied in some way. Lots to do, and lots to enjoy.

Pit, I for one accept your appology for your keeping us waiting. Your Uprising is Epic.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, honestly the second I saw the part about hand cramps I just did a bit of a double take. It's certainly not the most intuitive system, but it is damn easy to hold it with both hands and stylus too.

The game is great. Well-delivered lines, good script, and some parts of it are genuinely amazing. In particular (ACTUAL SPOILERS OMG)

Spoiler
    Show
    Hades' introduction is just spectacular.

While I haven't beaten it, it was definitely a good buy. I was going to get Tales of the Abyss, but saw this was out. Anyone know if that's any good, or if the PS2 version's better?

But yeah, so far all-around solid. Great online multiplayer if you don't want to play anyone specific, unlock system is fun, I actually like collecting idols (Normally in games with a trophy system I don't care much), music's great, visuals are astounding...

Honestly there's so much good about this game that I'm amazed I'm not playing it now.

I'm pretty into staffs, by the way. I love the sniping mechanics, and I'm just sure that a Flintlock Staff with max ranged stars, shot range +4 and dash charged shot +4 is capable of oneshotting people at max range with a forward dash.

I want to see it happen. So much happy...

Also clubs are fun. Pity they're nigh impossible to use in the flying segments.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

I am ticked off that my page did not update that you responded. I hadn't seen anyone respond in a while, and I was so upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Todasmile View Post
    Yeah, honestly the second I saw the part about hand cramps I just did a bit of a double take. It's certainly not the most intuitive system, but it is damn easy to hold it with both hands and stylus too.
    I like that using the stylus is still an option even if you
    set the Face Butons to aim, using the D-Pad or Stylus for your Aerial Special / Ground Powers. I've been playing almost solidly for 50 Hours and I haven't had any hand issues. Then again, the apparently Eye-Melting 3D doesn't affect me, either, so I might just be a freak.

On the subject of that, the game looks -darling-. Nintendo doesn't focus on Uber-Hyper-Graphics, but I can still say that this game is absolutely beautiful, even in 3D.

The game is great. Well-delivered lines, good script, and some parts of it are genuinely amazing. In particular (ACTUAL SPOILERS OMG)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hades' introduction is just spectacular.
    The 4th Wall is crying in the corner, being a victim of everyone's abuse. And it's okay. I find myself face palming at some of the "-Hamazing-" bits of dialog, but I also find myself still enjoying the jokes and oddities.
    I'm sad that some of the characters seem to be 1 shot so far, but I need to get a bit further in, I'm sure (only at Chapter 11 so far). Love you, Thanatos.

While I haven't beaten it, it was definitely a good buy. I was going to get Tales of the Abyss, but saw this was out. Anyone know if that's any good, or if the PS2 version's better?
    I've actually never played that. I should get around to it. Assuming I can stop playing KI:U.

But yeah, so far all-around solid. Great online multiplayer if you don't want to play anyone specific, unlock system is fun, I actually like collecting idols (Normally in games with a trophy system I don't care much), music's great, visuals are astounding...
    Honestly there's so much good about this game that I'm amazed I'm not playing it now.
    I know what you mean. I'm borderline addicted at this point, trying to unlock all the fun little extras. It's amazing how good this little game is. And I'm trying to fuze the best storymode weapon, so I can get the hearts for the online weapon. But at the same time, I've been offering all my hearts to Palutena. It says no reward, but I bet if I get high enough it will unlock -something-.

I'm pretty into staffs, by the way. I love the sniping mechanics, and I'm just sure that a Flintlock Staff with max ranged stars, shot range +4 and dash charged shot +4 is capable of oneshotting people at max range with a forward dash.

I wanted to ask people on the forum if they felt like seeing if they could sync times so we could fight eachother, but I might have to be careful if you get that Staff...

I'm more Bow or Orbitars, although I want to get a pair of Claws again. I like being Wolverine.

Also clubs are fun. Pity they're nigh impossible to use in the flying segments.
    Did you know you can knock back projectiles with clubs? 'cause that's a good use for them when flying.
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-03-31 at 12:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I picked this up day 1 - it's pretty much the game that sold me my 3DS - but haven't played it yet. I'm still in the middle of SMT: Devil Survivor 2 for my handheld time, and it looks like I'll be there for a while. Too many games coming out in too short of a time period for me...

I did look over the little instruction sheet they included though, and was surprised by the variety of weapons on it. Makes me even more eager to get to this.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bolding by me.

Aren't staves usually melee weapons that enhance magic or something similar in most games? Or am I missing something here?

...Or do staves fire magic spells in this game? I don't know anything about this game, other than the fact that it's the first Kid Icarus game since the original, which was released on the NES.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Augmental View Post
    Bolding by me.

Aren't staves usually melee weapons that enhance magic or something similar in most games? Or am I missing something here?

...Or do staves fire magic spells in this game? I don't know anything about this game, other than the fact that it's the first Kid Icarus game since the original, which was released on the NES.
    According to the instructions, Staffs in Kid Icarus: Uprising are sniping weapons, weak in close combat and lacking homing functions, but designed to do more damage the further the enemy is away from you. What exactly they shoot I don't know, but I'd imagine it's something magic, since even the bows shoot magic light arrows in the trailers (as seen in Super Smash Brothers: Brawl).

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Every weapon has a ranged and melee component. The melee-heavier ones tend to have short ranges and shorter effective ranges, but you can beat any level with any weapon.
    Staves struck me as odd as they're shot out of the end you don't expect--the non-blingy end.

Oh, the game's a lot longer than you'd expect at first, though the levels themselves seem pretty episodic without tying together in a well-woven plot. If it were discussed on the main comic board, you'd hear cries of 'filler!'

Each level's pretty fun on its own, which is good. Especially since you'll be playing some or all of them repeatedly to accomplish some of those treasure hunt goals. And since each level's got its own selection of loot. And since difficulty 9's just plain evil.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I picked this up day 1 - it's pretty much the game that sold me my 3DS - but haven't played it yet. I'm still in the middle of SMT: Devil Survivor 2 for my handheld time, and it looks like I'll be there for a while. Too many games coming out in too short of a time period for me...

I did look over the little instruction sheet they included though, and was surprised by the variety of weapons on it. Makes me even more eager to get to this.

Zevox
    Dude. You have this game, and you haven't played it -once-!?!

I suppose I won't be rude or anything, since I've never played Devil Survivor, and can't judge on it. But I will say that you most definitely need to give Kid Icarus a try as soon as you can. It is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Augmental View Post
    Bolding by me.

All weapons except Clubs (and even they can when they use Charged Shots) fire projectiles, including [Wolverine] Claws and Swords. Staffs have incredibly long ranged charge shots (although I haven't tested the range of regular shots on them). You can go into first person mode (the game is normally a behind-the-character-3rd-person shooter), and your vision is a bit clearer for it.

Long-Ranged-Charge-Shots + 1st Person View = Sniping. And it hurts. Like hell.

I think there has been at least 1 other Kid Icarus, but for one of the other old hand helds that weigh 5 pounds. Obviously not counting the NES Icarus. This one likes to make jokes about stuff that existed back then but has been updated for 25 years in the future. It's a fun little experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    According to the instructions, Staffs in Kid Icarus: Uprising are sniping weapons, weak in close combat and lacking homing functions, but designed to do more damage the further the enemy is away from you. What exactly they shoot I don't know, but I'd imagine it's something magic, since even the bows shoot magic light arrows in the trailers (as seen in Super Smash Brothers: Brawl).

Zevox
    Yeah, everything shoots Magic. Or Energy. Or Plasma. Or Fire. Or Hearts. Or Clubs. Actually, there doesn't seem to be a standard type of attack with the weapons. There's loads to try out, not counting the -MANY- enhancements appliable to them.

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    Every weapon has a ranged and melee component. The melee-heavier ones tend to have short ranges and shorter effective ranges, but you can beat any level with any weapon.
    Staves struck me as odd as they're shot out of the end you don't expect--the non-blingy end.

Oh, the game's a lot longer than you'd expect at first, though the levels themselves seem pretty episodic without tying together in a well-woven plot. If it were discussed on the main comic board, you'd hear cries of 'filler!'

Each level's pretty fun on its own, which is good. Especially since you'll be playing some or all of them repeatedly to accomplish some of those treasure hunt goals. And since each level's got its own selection of loot. And since difficulty 9's just plain evil.
    I STILL CAN'T GET THROUGH THE DARK LORD'S CASTLE ON DIFFICULTY 9! ;.;

And he's only Level 2.....

I like the difficulty in this. 2.0 is the basic level of difficulty. You don't pay anything, and get a meh amount of rewards. If you're having trouble, you can pay a bit to go anywhere from 1.9 to 0.0 in terms of difficulty, but obviously at less reward. If you're adventurous, or trying to complete the achievements (and so far, I've seen 120 things to do)
    Spoiler
    Show
    not counting an additional 120 from Viridi
    , you can gamble more money into difficulties from 2.1 to 9.0, gaining more advanced weapons and powers (temporary attacks or abilities to help you in game or in multiplayer) for the harder trial. But THE ENEMIES -HURT-! AND THEY SHOOT A LOT MORE! AND THEY TAKE A LOT MORE!

With so many games having relatively stale levels of difficulty, and continuing striping you of points and money, and the levels genuinly getting harder and longer as you progress, and lots of insentives to actually keep playing.... Honestly, the only other game that could have possibly compeled me to say "I gotta have a 3DS", beyond Super Smash Bros 3DS ( I wonder who is developing that game... ) would be Kid Icarus Uprising.

I totally want friend codes from people in the forum so we can totally fight each other!
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-04-03 at 11:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Dude. You have this game, and you haven't played it -once-!?!

I suppose I won't be rude or anything, since I've never played Devil Survivor, and can't judge on it. But I will say that you most definitely need to give Kid Icarus a try as soon as you can. It is awesome.
    Like I said, too many games coming out in too short a time for me. Devil Survivor 2 is the one I'm in the middle of on my handheld, but the reason I'm taking so long with that (it came out late February) is because I'm playing console games heavily at home - Mass Effect 3 for a couple of weeks after that came out, then Tales of Graces F, which I'm in the final stages of now. And in a couple of days another one arrives, Xenoblade Chronicles. Which is resulting in me playing my DS only on breaks at work. Makes for slow going with an RPG like Devil Survivor 2.

Zevox

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Been a while since I bumped this.

I -finally- beat the game... and by that, I beat it on the Easiest Free Difficulty. I didn't pay to make it easier, but for the final levels, I focused on just enjoying the story and gameplay, rather than challenging myself. So I kept it at 2.0 rather than trying to complete each level on 9.

I actually have completed the first two levels on 9, and I'll probably do each one one at a time, trying to raise the difficulty on each so that I can eventually clear them all on level 9. Between doing that (so I can eventually earn the achievable for beating all levels at max difficulty) and clearing all of the other achievements, I'ma see if I can craft / purchase some epic weapons for multiplayer, which is still a blast.

I stand by my prior judgement of this game. The only real thing reviewers could remotely cry out against this game was the knee-jerk reaction to the 3DS' controls, and between them being easy to adjust to and even easier to adjust to you, I consider any critisism that doesn't explore all of the schemes to be... well, stupid.

The 3D makes the already beautiful experience look even more beautiful, though it's not disorienting, and the game itself is just a joy to behold. Nintendo spared absolutely no expense in the soundtrack; I'd kill to be able to purchase or download an OST. The controls are the weakest thing about it, and it's certainly not nearly enough to break the deal. The game handles quite well, in both the air and on the ground, and I never stoped having fun fighting, especially in the multiplayer. The story likes to flip flop between being comedic and serious. It throws you for quite a few twists and turns, and still lobs jokes at you the entire way. Now that I've beaten the game, I actually have the option to turn off the commentary of the other characters in the game, but I don't think I'll ever explore that option. Depending on the difficulty and what you're doing at the moment, it seems that the characters have more things to say, and while I facepalm at some of the sillier remarks, it's always in a good way. It's silly, with some serious drama, but it never ends up not fun.

This is definitely the Killer App for the 3DS. If you've got a 3DS, you owe it to yourself to at least rent this, so you can be mad at yourself that you wasted $5 or so renting it when you should have just bought it.