New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.5 Does this thread have a soul?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRocks View Post
    So is ULM definitely still bugged? Because it shows the weight reduction and cooldown reduction. Is it just that the bars show it, but it's not actually doing it?
    That's the bug, yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I see where you're coming from to an extent - and as I've said before, I agree that the scoreboard is flawed and can be inaccurate in certain circumstances, that included. I simply think you overstate the problem vastly, particularly when you argue that the scoreboard is always a bad metric for how well players performed.
    Perhaps it's observation bias then. Regardless, I think I've communicated my stance as well as I'm able.

I'm not upset about conferring upon the Vanguard deserved praise. I just wish the scoreboard gave as much weight to the folks that are directly accomplishing mission objectives as the folks that are indirectly doing so - or worse, not doing so at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    So I did something awesome today. Last week I stopped buying things. This week I promoted my entire team and then bout 345000 worth of recruit packs 420000 worth of veteran packs and a single specter pack.

That was possibly the most rewarding moment I've ever had in any multiplayer ever. Or maybe it was all the double headshots I was getting with my armor piercing ammo mantis afterwards.
    I've learned true love when I switched to the Widow on my Salarian Infiltrator. Suddenly, cover and guardian shields were no obstacle. Heck, I got a couple double kills when I shot through one dude and hit another guy. So much fun.

To paraphrase HK-47, true love is shooting the head of a guardian and his buddy through his shield when he's obscured by smoke with a enhanced sniper scope.

P.S. I think I just got the Geth Infiltrator, so I look forward to wall hacking. I hate pulling up character cards after I've already received them. Gimme more weapon upgrades!

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    I've learned true love when I switched to the Widow on my Salarian Infiltrator. Suddenly, cover and guardian shields were no obstacle. Heck, I got a couple double kills when I shot through one dude and hit another guy. So much fun.

To paraphrase HK-47, true love is shooting the head of a guardian and his buddy through his shield when he's obscured by smoke with a enhanced sniper scope.

P.S. I think I just got the Geth Infiltrator, so I look forward to wall hacking. I hate pulling up character cards after I've already received them. Gimme more weapon upgrades!
    I want a Widow so badly, it's not even funny. As it is, I just have a Mantis X with a Piercing mod I, so I can punch through the glass in Firebase Glacier, a Guardian's shields, and not much else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    RE: Vanguards:

My biggest problem is that most Vanguard players I've teamed with seem to have very poor target prioritization skills. There are some targets that don't need to be charged, like that lonely unit with a few bars of health left and someone actively firing on him. Find something worthwhile to charge.
    Are you sure they're not using it for an escape/shield recharge?

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing like purchasing a Spectre Pack, then getting some ammo packs, a shotgun rain amp, Female Human Adept Training and another Arc Pistol. Sometimes I hate the randomized packs...
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

I finally got Krogan vanguard and I'm still convinced humanity makes the best lunatics. Fun but melee one vs pbaoe is like comparing being hit by a baseball bat to being bombed. I go no higher than silver on vanguard, it is hella fun but I'm not good enough of a.shot to be a good teammate without going bonkers. The rule of kill everything else applies to take down the bigs.

But yes, I squat & shoot on hack sets. And clear local on activate waves. Pure self interest should apply. You get more cash do doing it faster. I point this out and get either silence or desperate runs to join me in the glowing circle. Usually both.

Sago

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I want a Widow so badly, it's not even funny. As it is, I just have a Mantis X with a Piercing mod I, so I can punch through the glass in Firebase Glacier, a Guardian's shields, and not much else.
    From memory, you shoot through thicker objects with the mod than without; you just do less damage. Natural piercing weapons do full damage.

Zevox: none of your points address the perceived issue.

Score is irrelevant.
    Play styles which aim for score neglect team work.
    The scoreboard discourages teamwork.

Doing all the work isn't team work. It's the opposite of teamwork.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I don't think that's what he's saying at all, nor do I think it's an accurate statement. If the Vanguard can clear the map without the rest of the team, he's either extremely good, or he's high level and playing on Bronze, in which case he probably was doing it solely because he wanted an easy match.
    His skill and/or desire for an easy match have nothing to do with what I said. It appears that I was wrong about what he was trying to say anyway, but I wanted to point that out.
    Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
    In the forests of the night;
    What immortal hand or eye,
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

-excerpt from "The Tyger" by William Blake

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

If the game ever gets to that point, it means the Vanguard has done so well he's effectively won the fight for the team. In which case he fully deserves that praise.
    I take no stance on vanguards and the scoreboard, but I do want to point out a problem with this statement. Let's say you're playing silver with a relatively good vanguard. A common scenario that I've experienced is for the first 7 or so waves the vanguard has been careening around and basically winning the entire map single-handedly, with a massive score to reflect that. Around wave 8, or perhaps 9 or 10, the vanguard bites off more than he can chew, the rest of the team can't save him, and they later get overwhelmed and lose the mission. This problem can be particularly acute because the play style of the vanguard can weaken the rest of team's coherence as everyone simply starts hunting around the map for anything to shoot and then when the waves get hard suddenly everyone is separated and things go south in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    From memory, you shoot through thicker objects with the mod than without; you just do less damage. Natural piercing weapons do full damage.

Score is irrelevant.

See above example. I concern myself with situations where teamwork is required and simply note that very few random teams are capable of adjusting their playstyle starting wave 7 if they've been playing the first 6 waves differently. If it really is a bronze match with a level 20 vanguard just jumping around the map, then you can do that all 11 waves and it really doesn't matter.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Two sentences:

I just got my Geth "Infiltrator".

Premium Spectre packs are back.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Are you sure they're not using it for an escape/shield recharge?
    Maybe once in a while, but every time?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Of course, higher level piercing mods give you more damage, which is why I want them only slightly less than I want a piercing sniper rifle, which is to say, I want them quite a lot.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Two sentences:

I just got my Geth "Infiltrator".

8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8D 8DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!

IS NOT ENOUGH TO CONTAIN MY GLEE AT THIS STATEMENT!!!!!!!

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Of course, higher level piercing mods give you more damage, which is why I want them only slightly less than I want a piercing sniper rifle, which is to say, I want them quite a lot.
    Okay. It sounded like you had problem with, say, thinking the piercing mod couldn't shoot through regular walls (it can). If you have hunter mode, you're good. I would say try the viper; the extra shots could theoretically make up for the damage loss. I doubt if but who knows? Myself, I use the viper when I want to snipe and EVERYONE else is too. Only way I can get a shot in edgewise >>

Go for premium specter packs, I think the sniper piercing mod and sniper scope enhancer are both rates.

15. - Top - End - #1275

MindFlayer

So I've got my Victory Pack but NOT my Commendation Pack. I want my goodies.

Also, I was trying to level my Soldier. I have literally never played a Soldier, ever, in any Mass Effect game. I'd got to level 6 through packs. So I thought, I'll do a Bronze, see how it goes.

So the game drops me into the middle of a Silver match. At level 6. On a class I've never played. Everyone's dying, so I drop out. And go to Bronze. And the game drops me into the middle of a Silver match. At level 6. On a class I've never played.

We died on Wave 9 of that, with me the last one standing, and NEARLY but not quite being the hero.

STOP IT, GAME.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ettin in the Playground

Go for premium specter packs, I think the sniper piercing mod and sniper scope enhancer are both rates.
    If you meant to type 'rares' there, the highest rarity of weapon mods is uncommon. They don't count for the guaranteed uncommon in Veteran Packs, though, so normal Spectre packs might be the way to go.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

17. - Top - End - #1277

DruidGuy

I'm not seeing Premium Spectre packs available on PC - and no victory pack either.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is this "Premium Spectre Pack" supposed to be on the list in addition to the normal one or in place of it? If it's the former, well, I'm not seeing it on X-Box either...

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So the game drops me into the middle of a Silver match. At level 6. On a class I've never played. Everyone's dying, so I drop out. And go to Bronze. And the game drops me into the middle of a Silver match. At level 6. On a class I've never played.
    This has bothered me so much when playing public games. Why oh why would you design a search system that can find games you're not looking for!? When I go hunting for a Bronze Cerberus game to try a new class on and get dropped in Silver Reapers that is a problem.

I have decade old games with better multiplayer searching than this. Who in their right mind decided to return search results that have nothing to do with the searched term? It's mindbogglingly bad design from an otherwise competent multiplayer experience.

If I set my search preferences to Bronze Cerberus and there aren't any open Bronze Cerberus games out there TELL ME THAT! Don't just go 'hmm...well, this looks kind of like what he wanted' and drop me in a random game. How they could get this wrong when every other multiplayer game I've ever played has got it right is beyond me...it seems like a solved problem. You search, and if you don't find anything, you tell the players that and wait for a new search request. You absolutely do not put the player in a game they didn't want to play because you couldn't find what they wanted to play, that's either wasting time (find out you're in the wrong game, drop, loading screens) or confusing people (why is bronze so much harder than I was expecting?).

Google doesn't give you pizza hut's website if you go searching for a subway in your city and there aren't any.
    Last edited by Binks; 2012-05-01 at 06:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    This has bothered me so much when playing public games. Why oh why would you design a search system that can find games you're not looking for!? When I go hunting for a Bronze Cerberus game to try a new class on and get dropped in Silver Reapers that is a problem.
    I don't know if this applies to ShineyRocks, but I've lost count of the number of times that I've searched a Bronze game, hit "Ready To Deploy" and then not noticed when the game Leader quickly changes it to Silver and deploys into a world of hurt that I wasn't expecting.

Couldn't tell if they were just doing it to drum up business for empty slots, or just to be jerks, but it happens.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by masterjoda99 View Post
    Is this "Premium Spectre Pack" supposed to be on the list in addition to the normal one or in place of it? If it's the former, well, I'm not seeing it on X-Box either...
    In addition too, as the store normally has one "special" slot. Earlier it was the Resurgence pack, and then that supersized Equipment thing. Oh, and I'm not seeing it, or my Commendation pack, or my Victory pack. Yeah.

22. - Top - End - #1282

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I don't know if this applies to ShineyRocks, but I've lost count of the number of times that I've searched a Bronze game, hit "Ready To Deploy" and then not noticed when the game Leader quickly changes it to Silver and deploys into a world of hurt that I wasn't expecting.

Couldn't tell if they were just doing it to drum up business for empty slots, or just to be jerks, but it happens.
    People do switch it at last second, but in this instance it dropped me into the middle of things on Wave 3. I was actively hindering the other players in the group by being put in that situation.

The Premium Spectre packs have disappeared and while I got my Victory Pack, my flatmate didn't get his on his Xbox live profile. So I think somebody pressed a button too soon and released things they shouldn't, and they'll be out tomorrow.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Titan in the Playground

Score is irrelevant.
    Right there is your problem. I'm not assuming that people are playing for the purpose of maximizing their score, I'm assuming that they're playing for the purpose of winning. Because, you know, it's kind of the only logical thing to do, always in your best interest and all that. In that case, I would maintain that the scoreboard is largely a decent way to measure how well any given player played.

It is possible for someone to play for the purpose of scoring high to the detriment of the team's success, this is true. My personal inclination though would be to just write those people off as idiots.

But if one player doing all the work is possible, then teamwork becomes unnecessary. As-is I can only see that happening on Bronze, outside of maybe the very best players.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I take no stance on vanguards and the scoreboard, but I do want to point out a problem with this statement. Let's say you're playing silver with a relatively good vanguard. A common scenario that I've experienced is for the first 7 or so waves the vanguard has been careening around and basically winning the entire map single-handedly, with a massive score to reflect that. Around wave 8, or perhaps 9 or 10, the vanguard bites off more than he can chew, the rest of the team can't save him, and they later get overwhelmed and lose the mission. This problem can be particularly acute because the play style of the vanguard can weaken the rest of team's coherence as everyone simply starts hunting around the map for anything to shoot and then when the waves get hard suddenly everyone is separated and things go south in a hurry.
    I can't say I've ever experienced such a thing. My own inclination hearing about such a scenario would be to say that if the Vanguard's teammates could not handle silver without him, the problem is as much their own lack of ability (or perhaps levels or equipment, depending on the situation with those) as him biting off more than he can chew. Silver is not so difficult that a three-man team shouldn't be able to hold their own for a wave - heck, my gold match last weekend was a three-man team from wave 2 onward, and we succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    I'm not seeing them on the 360. Nor the reward packs yet.

If true though, tempting. Those are very nice for getting rares at a more economical rate than Specter Packs. At the moment though I'm pretty hooked on Skullgirls, especially since there is effectively no lag in its online mode, so I don't know if I'll be playing any ME3 multiplayer this week, barring another event with an actual goal this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    If you meant to type 'rares' there, the highest rarity of weapon mods is uncommon. They don't count for the guaranteed uncommon in Veteran Packs, though, so normal Spectre packs might be the way to go.
    What?!?! Why??

Why in all nine hells would they do that? That serves no purpose! All it does is make those things harder to acquire, which defeats the purpose of making them uncommons in the first place! That's just... ugh.

I'm sorry, but that's half of the reason I've been buying Veteran Packs - I have my common mods maxed out, but need uncommon ones for some weapons (Pistol Piercing mod, Shotgun piercing mod, both SMG and AR uncommon mods). If they can't be acquired from the guaranteed slot in the packs that guarantee their rarity, that actually makes them harder to acquire than anything but ultra-rares. That's... baffling, infuriating, and just a horrible design decision.

And here I didn't think I could hate the booster system any more than I already did.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Huh. That's odd. I know for a fact that the shotgun shredder mod came with a gold border, because I got three in a row and kept railing about how weird that was (assumed at the time the color indicated rarity).

Right there is your problem.
    Fair enough.

I'm not assuming that people are playing for the purpose of maximizing their score, I'm assuming that they're playing
    That that right there is your problem. Because when one guy flies all around and purposefully killing guys everyone else aimed at - often in a different area specifically so the vanguard won't do this - the other three aren't playing. And I know your usual response; you've never seen this. But everyone else complaining about it? Everyone who auto-kicks vanguards from the team or who drops out immediately when a vanguard shows up onthe lobby? They have.

It's not so prevalent anymore, but you'll still get snipers who wait for you to drop somethingms health, kill your target - and then suggest booting you for not carrying your weight. Or the guy who gets thirty more melee kills while you bleed next to him while the mission timer counts down. Or any other number of directly score-related "Richard" moves. Having a scoreboard which rewards this baffles me.

Personally? I think the mission synopsis should show medals, medal values, and total for the squad. That's it. In the same way you only find MP palatable as modified SP, I only find it palatable as a team game.

I'm totally behind expectations, especially unreasonable ones, being the reason folks complain about these sorts of things. But expecting to play a game when I turn it on isn't unreasonable, even if expecting a class not to play to its strength is. And honestly, this doesn't bother me much personally. But it is a thing which happens, and I know the scoreboard is one of the reasons. All the guys talking about their awesome score (who commit these crimes) are proof.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. That's odd. I know for a fact that the shotgun shredder mod came with a gold border, because I got three in a row and kept railing about how weird that was (assumed at the time the color indicated rarity).
    You can check rarities and similar in the multiplayer manifest; shotgun shredders are uncommon.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Troll in the Playground

Personally? I think the mission synopsis should show medals, medal values, and total for the squad. That's it. In the same way you only find MP palatable as modified SP, I only find it palatable as a team game.

I'm totally behind expectations, especially unreasonable ones, being the reason folks complain about these sorts of things. But expecting to play a game when I turn it on isn't unreasonable, even if expecting a class not to play to its strength is. And honestly, this doesn't bother me much personally. But it is a thing which happens, and I know the scoreboard is one of the reasons. All the guys talking about their awesome score (who commit these crimes) are proof.
    The scoreboard is a useful tool in exactly the same way DPS meters or gearscore is. They are not useful to see who is on top. They are useful to see who is on the bottom. The top person who is beating the next guy by 20k points? Big deal it happens. If everyone else is pretty close in score there's no problem. But when everyone is around 20K score and the guy on the bottom is around 5k, well there's no real good justification for that.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

People do switch it at last second, but in this instance it dropped me into the middle of things on Wave 3. I was actively hindering the other players in the group by being put in that situation.
    Is it odd that I've never been dropped into an ongoing match? Ever? We've had people join when someone else dropped (my favorite was the guy who got dropped in near the end of wave 10, yelled "Whoo!" at the top of his lungs after about 2 seconds and happily took his basically free points), but I've never landed in an ongoing game.

Right there is your problem. I'm not assuming that people are playing for the purpose of maximizing their score, I'm assuming that they're playing for the purpose of winning. Because, you know, it's kind of the only logical thing to do, always in your best interest and all that. In that case, I would maintain that the scoreboard is largely a decent way to measure how well any given player played.
    You, sir, have way more faith in your fellow multiplayer-ers than I. Maybe it's because you don't normally play multiplayer games like this and so are not as jaded as I am, but I've seen too many things that scream "I'm going for points, instead of winning" in this game to assume people are playing to win (at least on the lower levels).
    Maybe you also play more Gold than I do (I don't play gold very often), as when I do, I tend to run into more 'trying to win' people than the other times (as the people who do this type of thing tend to also be the people who can't stand losing and won't sacrifice points to help the team win...which hurts more in Gold than Bronze or Silver).

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I've been dropped in Silver games mid-game when looking for Bronze as well (my Bronze Cerby search that put me in Silver Reapers was one such instance. Because yeah game, I'd love to learn how to play a Krogan Vanguard for the first time in the hardest game mode I'd played up to that point...that's exactly what I wanted when I searched for the easiest). I've learned to check the difficulty as soon as I join, and seen it as Silver the instant I join plenty of times.

It's possible they're changing it as I join...but I've literally had it drop me in 4 different Silver Lobbies in a row when searching for Bronze...so I find it hard to believe that all 4 changed as I was joining. I hit search for Bronze with random everything else, load lobby, check difficulty. Silver, so I drop and search again for Bronze random. Silver again, dropped and tried again. Silver again, one more try, drop and search for Bronze. Silver lobby. At that point I just shut the xbox off and went to play something else.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thugthrasher View Post
    Is it odd that I've never been dropped into an ongoing match? Ever? We've had people join when someone else dropped (my favorite was the guy who got dropped in near the end of wave 10, yelled "Whoo!" at the top of his lungs after about 2 seconds and happily took his basically free points), but I've never landed in an ongoing game.
    Nah, it seems pretty darn rare to me. It's only happened to me once - and I was dropped into a game that was literally just starting (wave 1, the other players were still at the spawn point), so it didn't really make any difference.

You, sir, have way more faith in your fellow multiplayer-ers than I. Maybe it's because you don't normally play multiplayer games like this and so are not as jaded as I am,
    Maybe. There's also the fact that the other multiplayer games I do play are fighting games, and playing to win is definitely the name of the game in those.

Maybe you also play more Gold than I do (I don't play gold very often),
    Unlikely. I primarily play on silver, finding it to be a nice "normal" difficulty, with bronze being quite easy (since I don't promote my classes, and being level 20 tends to trivialize most of bronze), and gold being hard. I only occasionally went into gold, mostly when I wanted a lot of money off one mission to quick get the highly expensive Premium Specter or Resurgance packs.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Actually that sounds about right... Bronze is for raising your class to 10, unlocking some useful abilities, practice... Silver is for actual play fun-ness...

Gold has become farm... with predictable but necessary strategies to encourage spiffy unlocking.

Geth SMG 7 and rising. with the heat dissipator V it's as close as I've seen to the infinite firing guns of ME1...

Hope my Victory/commendation packs are there tonight.

Sago