New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Pathfinder Magic Items and Cost

Hey there Forumites,

I've been a long time reader of OOTS but I never really thought to interact with the forum. Now that I've been hosting Pathfinder games for several months it only just occurred to me that I could gain the help of those who are far more experienced than I. Golden-esque's guide to character creation has been quite helpful when developing my own game world.

However, here's my new question. How should I value putting things like class features or feats on to items?

Like...making a wondorous item that casts flame bolts like a 5th level druid with a fire domain.

Or an amulet that allows the user to use the 'Arcane Blast' feat.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder Magic Items and Cost

It kind of depends on exactly what you plan to grant. You can sort of get an idea from existing items though. For example, a ring of climbing gives +5 to the climbing skill for 1250 gold. If you took the skill focus feat you'd get +3 (+6 if you have enough ranks).

A ring of revelation gives extra oracle class features to an oracle - the cost depends on the level requirement of the class feature.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmm, I always do try to find a benchmark to base my items on and I think that Ring of Revelation might be my benchmark for such things.

10k for a no prerequisite power of 6th or lower seems like an expensive starting point.

I think I'd make that as the 10k Command word wondorous item. so the likes of charges per day would cheapen it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Balancing magic item costs is more art than science, especially when you're putting odd abilities in there. An amulet that grants a Rogues Trap sense will be worth far less than an amulet that grants a Rogues Uncanny Dodge for example.

Whenever possible, try to replicate whatever effects you are looking for via spells, it's typically a more balanced way of making the items. Otherwise, err on making the item over priced, but since it's rare make sure the PC's can't sell it for a lot.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion