New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 34 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Orcs of the endless and unconquered Forest (IC)

The tribe. It had not always been known as that. When the clan war started we had been many, fighting over land, influence, power. We had no true reason to fight. The Forest provided for all of us and provided plenty. We fought because we always had.
    All but one of the clans had come to forest after long ways through treacherous and hostile lands. Much of the land outside the forest was sparse and did not hold much ressource, neither above ground nor below. We have no records why we all found our way here, no knowledge of what called us. Some believe it is in our blood, some believe the forest called its own. Some believe the gods wished to help us and some that the devils wished to pit us against each other. None of these ideas is relevant any longer.
    We came to the forest, went ever deeper and finally found the other clans. Each clan believed they should be the dominant force, the truly destined ones. So we fought for dominance. Only years later we found that the constant struggle, abductions, prisoners and hostages had resulted in everyone being everywhere. It was a wake-up call.
    The originals, the first ones that had been here finally came to the forefront. They had evaded much of the war. Their knowledge of the forest allowed them to stay hidden. We believed the wished to strike at us once our strenght was depleted, but when they came forward they simply wanted peace. Our fighting had destroyed parts of the forest. Century old trees had been cut down to make room for temporary camps, ground had been trampled into muddy earth wherever we sent our troops. They wished this useless destruction to stop. They said they spoke for the forest, seeing what we had done, we no longer could challenge them for that honor.
    After talks had finished, the eight invader-clans came to an agreement. The originals were to be the leading clan. Theirs was the way to be followed. But to preserve their own traditions, each clan would gain their own camp, all eight forming a circle at a distance of ten miles from the main camp.
    Now, few live in these eight camps, they have stopped to be truly independent structures, but they still exist, most behaving as trade stations and warning posts, as hunting and magic schools. The main camp has grown, now spanning a diameter of nearly a mile. It is a prosperous and peaceful place, but now the pink-skins have come.

{The center of the main camp}

To call the tree great would be undestatement, while not much higher than its bretheren it is truly massive easily sporting a circumference of threehundred feet. The grand-chief's hut is build directly at the trunk. With its five floors it is the tallest building in the camp. Unlike normally however, you see easily double the normal amount of guards both outside and in the foyer. Furthermore they appear quite alert when they would usually sit somewhere and either absently sharpen their weapons or even sleep.
    You had heard that scouts had been dispatched to find the reason for the mass exodus of prey from the eastern forest. There also had been rumors of strange creatures, described as elf-like but different that those scouts had found, but what could prompt such a reaction?
    You can hear heated talking deeper in the hut. Hunt-Leader Grokh'kus is easy to distinguish by his voice, the others not so much. You had been called via messenger to come here today. You know the others here with you, if not personally at the very least by their reputation. Each either a master already or on in all but name. This must be big.

Spoiler
    Show
    And we begin, this current scene is for IC introductions or just normal interaction.
    My first foray into homebrew: The Circuit Mage

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Pudgy kitty needs more views

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonehoarder - Necromantic Skeleton Shapeshifter
    Tahrven Millos - Arcane Hierophant
    Hordemaster Kordan - Ebon Initiate ... mostly
    Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Rooshkdor - Arrow Demon Archer
    Galen Medon - Batman?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Orcs of the endless and unconquered Forest (IC)

Grazik - Orc Shaman

Grazik hobbles up to the tree, glancing at the others he sees some that he knows well, some he hardly knows, though he knows of all of them. "Friends, well met. How have you been fairing?" He asks the group at large. "Do any of you know why we've been summoned?" Turning to a guard he asks, "Do you know when the chief will be ready for us?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gell-Orc Hunter

Gell seems deep in thought as he answers Grazik.

"I am well, shaman. As to why we are here...only rumors. I think the masters will be discussing the matter for a while yet."
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show
    Askaretha's Ascension as Vaishirth

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kusque - Binder

Kusque nods at the old sage. "Well, thank you, and I hope you're good yourself. I don't know why we're here, but..." His gaze flickers over to the chief's daughter as he continues. "Something important."

This last comment is punctuated by a sudden rising of voices from within the hut, although he doesn't catch any of the words.

5. - Top - End - #5

Grazik - Orc Shaman (Druid/Wizard)

"I would guess it is about what the scouts saw, must be worrying to not know what they are, or what they plan."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Mal-Scout
    What is it that the scouts saw? I've heard it was something strange but, I don't know what discription of the.. strangness is right. I've heard a lot.

7. - Top - End - #7

"Elf-like, but not is the only description I've heard. I think we'll learn more when we meet with Hunt-Leader Grokh'kus."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Goblin

Rada - Berserker

"Alive and kicking, old geezer." Said Rada, using a little free time to do some basic stretching."And seriously, for such roten touchwood you're terribly impatient. Aren't it you and other longbeards who always preach to us youngsters about patience and all that crap? Chief will call us when we're needed." Rada called her father Chief more by force of habit than anything else - she didn't really had to, but always felt better reminding herself that he is much more than just her old man. "Yo, Mal, how's the dumb beast? Hope you're feeding him some good stuff, would be a shame if he had eat you. He could get sick." She said, reffering to Mal's tiger - it was common knowledge she had weak spot for the beast.
    She was to eger to change the topic - she saw no point wondering about the rumors, other than having her even more impatient - she wouldn't have admit it, but she was as curious and worried about strange news and the reason they were all called here as everybody else, if not more. What could it be about the mysterious elf-like creatures? Some new enemy, or ally? Probably former - the only ones an Orc can trust is another Orc. She tried to catch some words from the voices, hoping she may overhear something important. She knew she shouldn't, but the tempation was too great.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen check (1d20+6)[24]

9. - Top - End - #9

Kusque - Binder

"Elf-like and...? A new breed of pointy-ears wouldn't cause this much fuss." He shifted his weight into a more comfortable position, tuning out the sounds of voices and gazing around him. It was a nice day to be stood outside, at least. The sky was evenly grey where it could be seen through the canopy, and the wind was enough to shift his hair and clothes around but not enough to cause a chill."I expect they have some fresh news for us..."

Idly he wound his fingers around the headscarf wrapped around his waist as he rehearsed the meeting to come. Without knowing what would be said he didn't have any concern about performing and wouldn't be compelled to do that anyway, but allowing himself the mental drill meant not distracting himself trying to stop it.

Instead he pondered what could be so important that right now it was bringing all of them here together. A thunking brigade he could understand, but a group with half of its members having supernatural powers? 'Something strange' indeed.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Mal-Scout
    Normally Mal wouldn't be very annoyed by Rada's teasing but he is afraid of that wich he doesn't understand and he has no idea what is going on right now so he is very on edge.He's not a dumb beast he's my loyal mount! and he's doing fine.

11. - Top - End - #11

Gell-Orc Hunter

"There's no need to get so riled. We were called here, it will be explained soon enough..."

He glances at Rada, slightly amused.

"Though if everyone is quiet, we can hear easily enough."

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen Check: (1d20+17)[24]
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Smith

Smith was the last to arrive - there was always work to be done. He wasn't wearing his armour at the moment - instead wearing the shorts-with-basically-overalls that he wore when he was at the forge. His green skin was tinted slightly black from soot.

But no apologies came from him, as it was no secret that he was quite busy - that morning, in fact, he'd finished a set of spears he was a touch behind on.

"Good strength. Hope I haven't kept you waiting."
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Mal - Scout
    Mal quiets down and tries to hear what is said inside.

Listen: (1d20+9)[24]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Goblin

Rada - Berserker

"he is a dumb beast for being loyal mount to a humorless jackass like you." Rada responds, but without any hoslitlity, but a friendly smile. She liked and respected Mal as a friend and hunter, but provoking him was a form of entertainment in more tense moments.

15. - Top - End - #15

"Rada, you seem terribly impatient for one that tells others they are. Part of patience is knowing how to spend you time until the event, to know how to spend your time, you must know how much time there is to be spent." Grazik turns to Kusque, "Surely you no of the war that was fought before we were united. If another group comes, they may have ideas like our ancestors, and seek to destroy and control us. Other races of this forest aren't peaceful with us. Wouldn't you rather know if you found a new foe, than wait for them to act against you. I hope however, that we will find in these new people to be friends."

Spoiler
    Show
    Grazik has a 25 on listen taking 0, he isn't trying to listen though he hears up many noises none the less.

16. - Top - End - #16

Kusque - Binder

"No, we're still waiting ourselves," he says lightly as he nods a greeting at Smith. I wonder if it's his healing or his crafting that the Chief is interested in? The Chief's never taken a positive interest in the way he does his healing before this.

Spoiler
    Show

-6 Listen modifier. Not even going to roll.
    Last edited by Sutremaine; 2012-03-31 at 09:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Mal-Scout
    Mal thinks for sometime, dicides that it is best not to respond but he responds anyway trying to think of something that would string. Because you're the chiefs daughter life is a joke?

18. - Top - End - #18

Kusque - Binder

"Yes Grazik, I do know something of the war. But that was orc business, and scrapping that grew into war. Other races coming in and stirring things up at the top before we even know what they look like is trouble, and even if they turn out to be friendly they still have that talent for troublemaking. Bringing our varied talents in right away is--" He cut himself off, realising he was starting to make a speech, and was surprised at how easy it was to suppress the urge. "Perhaps there is some sort of misunderstanding here that can be smoothed over. But I'm prepared for a fight."

19. - Top - End - #19

"Aren't we all Kusque," Grazik says sighing "you can feel it in the air, everyone is worried. I hope this will all be smoothed over and everything will work out."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Everyone who listened (since you somehow all rolled close the same)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear a back and forth on possible points of encounter between orc forces and the group that is alternately called "pink-skins", "tree-cutters" and simply "invaders". It seems that they can't make up their mind wether to engage those beings or try to send scouts first.
    Grokh'kus is favouring the fighting approach, while another voice reminds him what unthinking fights just for battle's sake resulted in during the clan-war.

As you talk with each other, you notice that the noise has stopped.

After maybe half a minute Tal'var, the chief's main advisor, comes into the foyer. He looks at all of you, seemingly counting you.

"Ah good, it seems all have arrived. You are most likely intrigued why we sent for you to come here. Some of you may already have heard the the rumors of the scouts encountering a new race. We have tried to keep any more specific knowledge from most of tribe for now," at the last sentence he raises his hands in an apologizing gesture "We know this is not how it is supposed to be. Secrets are the poison for unity, but as you will see, the situation is far more dire than you most likely imagine right now. Please follow me."

He walks back inside and up the flight of stairs that brings one to the chiefs council room. Entering it, you see not only Murpek the Chief and Grokh'kus, but also the Shaman Sorunnar as well as Merotek, Leader of the scouts and Turval who functions as the tribes main subpply coordinator.
    All of them stand around a table that is filled with small stones, lines of dirt as well as small pieces of wood. You recognize some of the stones as small mountains which implies that you are looking at a representation of the forest surrounding the tribe's camps. Most of the table is green, but towards the east, maybe ten miles beyond the outer camps in those sections, you can see the table having been rubbed with chalk. You know that the forest's expansion should at this point be maybe 30 miles beyond the eastern outer camps. As such, the chalk confuses you.

As you come in, the chief adresses you.
    "So you are here, good good. By now, you may have heard the rumors and I am anguished to say they are true. We have found a new race. Usually that should be grounds for happiness as it could mean trade, new knowldege or perhaps new magic. However, the way we found them does not fill me with hope but rather with anger and sadness.
    Look at this map, as you may have already noticed it represents the forest,"
    at this he starts to point at different markers,"The lone rock (a stone), the changing waters (a small blue strand of cloth), the treacherous swamp (a piece of bark), these should give you a scale of this map and we have of course the green of mother-forest. But here," he knocks on the chalked part,"here we found the new ones. And the white is not their area of hunts, it is not where they have camps it is simply ... nothing. There is no green there, because they have done the unthinkable, they have killed mother-forest. There is nothing there. Oh, they left some trees standing, for what we don't know, but those are lonely ones. What we did during the clan-war, they do tenfold each day. Each day they go deeper into the forest, within a year they will find the first proofs that we exist. So we no longer have much time.
    Some of us think that their crimes are harsh enough to justify open warfare at once. Others consider it prudent to first find out more about them. Both sides justify this by another factor. We have found that the new ones have started created huts, though more angular and made of stone, and are starting camps of their own. The more they do so, the harder they would be to defeat if it came to battle, but they also give us more chance to learn about them.
    As you are the best of those that are not already present here, you present us with the opportunity to send our best to the new ones without compromising our leadership, be it in battle to test their might or in secret to see their way of life. We are also interested in your own thoughts, for you will be needed to form your own judgement. So tell me, what is your mind for this situation?"
    Last edited by Re'ozul; 2012-04-01 at 02:22 PM.
    My first foray into homebrew: The Circuit Mage

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Pudgy kitty needs more views

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonehoarder - Necromantic Skeleton Shapeshifter
    Tahrven Millos - Arcane Hierophant
    Hordemaster Kordan - Ebon Initiate ... mostly
    Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Rooshkdor - Arrow Demon Archer
    Galen Medon - Batman?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Goblin

Rada - Berserker

"Wanna start something?" Rada looked at Mal, suddenly becoming very serious and very threatening. "Once we're done here, we may take it to the Hill if you want to." Hill was a name of very small hill few miles behind the main camp where two orcs went when they decided they need to talk with their fists. Law forcing going there was rather new and still not everybody got used to it - the elders made it aften two fighting orcs accidentially wrecked somebody's hut one time too many.

Spoiler
    Show
    ****, DM posted when I was posting, gimme a moment I'll make another post in response to DM's
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2012-04-01 at 03:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

"Calm yourself Rada, you too Mal, this is important." Grazik says sharply as Tal'var comes. Grazik moves to stand by the map. After hearing what the chief has to say, he stands there, shocked. Shacking himeself out of it, he speaks.

"This destruction is unacceptable! How dare they do this?" Calming himeself, Grazik speaks again. "They cause destruction, though a war would cause more. Trees can grow back, Mother-Forest can be healed, but at this rate, soon she will perish. We should pursue a peaceful course of action if possible, though if they don't stop, I fear we will have to fight. I propose we make ourselves know, though not tell them much of us. We request for them to stop, if they refuse, we demand, if they still kill, then it is war. The people however, should be told, if secrecy is the poison of unity, we must purge it with truth and openness. If we can find a peaceful solution to this problem, we must pursue it so we do not repeat our previous mistakes if at all possible."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Goblin

(Hope this time I won't miss another important post. My previous was obviously ment to be before we've been called to the hut, sorry guys)

Rada - Berserker

Shocked. Completely and utterly shocked. That was the only way to describe Rada's reaction. In her heart she was prepared for some bad news, but that?! That was beyond her wildest imagination. The enemy that would just go and kill the trees for no reason? That was....sick. Disgusting. Mother-Forest is everything they had, the life of the Tribe, for somebody to just come out of nowhere and....Unacceptable.
    She was ready to scream, no, roar in anger, she was ready to swear upon her blood that she will hunt and kill every last one of these "pink-skins" or die trying. But then Grazik spoken. His words had calmed Rada down. Just blidly attacking these invaders was not the way to do it. She remembered what one of her Berserker teachers has told her - "know when it's time to rage and save it all for that moment". So she did. She put all her rage, all that she could at this moment at least, into a tiny chest in her mind. To be ready to open it later.
    "Shaman is right." She said, once she calmed herself, through only barerly. Her voice was cold. Deadly cold." But if they won't listen to us, if they will continue hurting Mother-Forest....We should hurt them back, more and more until whatever they gain from doing this will be outnumbered by the losses they'll suffer."

24. - Top - End - #24

Gell-Hunter

Gell frowns at the map.

"I agree. This is what they do without threats-their war footing must be terrifying. I feel that multiple approaches are best-both a diplomat and a sneak, to learn as much as we can. Of course, if they can't be convinced, then we hunt them."
    Last edited by Winds; 2012-04-01 at 03:40 PM.
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Kusque - Binder

Kusque stared at the bright patch of nothingness as the others talked, feeling numbness and a small spike of rage at Rada's tone. He pushed it away, trying to keep his thoughts clear and focused. The right thing to do would be to go out and slaughter the lot of them, as the tribe would punish even their own for willful murder. But openly attacking an enemy behind stone defences was foolishness, and if they struck now then stealth later would be impossible. Even if the delay meant the lives of a few more trees, the wisest course of action right now was the peaceful one. If that failed, there would be no need for second-guessing.

"Yes," he said to no-one in particular. "Yes Gell, we shouldn't rush into war with an unknown force. I can handle both talking and sneaking, although both in one day won't leave me much of a fighter. Mal, you're a good sneak when you haven't got that blasted bow out, right?" Moving to the end of the table he tapped the eastern edge of the chalked area, noting the slight shake in his finger as he rested it on the table. He allowed the finger to curl back into his fist as he addressed the scout leader. "Merotek, do we have information on the areas further out, or any clues about how many pink-skins there are beyond their camp here?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Smith

Smith glanced at Rada and Mal as the two of them turned more hostile, but exhaled as they cooled off. Good, the two could cool off.

The first moment of surprise for Smith was that he did not, in fact, immediately recognize that the map was of the forest - or more accurately, not of where it was.

How long had it been since he went wandering? Was he out of touch with the forest? With his own blood?

Now was not, however, the time for self contemplation - he could put that aside for later. Now there was work to be done. Strange new creatures who sought to destroy the forest, who made huts of stone. Curious. It was unbelievable... but he didn't find himself angry. Shouldn't he be? He was astonished, and this could not be allowed to continue, but the rage was missing. Also worrisome - and also for later.

"They sound like children." He shook his head, speaking in the sort-of-a-loud-mutter that he tended to. "Blind to the effects of what they are doing. Some basic guidance on how to live may change their behaviors."

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Mal-Scout
    The anger and confusion that had blazed inside him earlier died down and he became calm cold and calculating. He could do this, there were people to explain what he should do and an odvious enemy. He didn't know why they did it but he knew it was wrong and he knew that his people knew what to do.
    Children do not murder there mother. These are monsters and they diserve death.
    Last edited by GnomeGninjas; 2012-04-01 at 08:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Gell-Hunter

"We don't know that yet. It could be they are monsters to be destroyed, or they could be fools. It is better to reach out first, then to assume and cause an immediate war."

Gell taps his quiver.

"It isn't as though our skills diminish if we make a plan first."
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Grazik turns to the orcs that where gathered before he arrived. "Do you have a problem with this plan?" he inquires. "and do you have any more information about the invaders, anything would be useful in these matters."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

"Das true - children do not murder their parents. But a better comparison, maybe, is that they don't think. After all, these newcomers cannot want to build camps here without a forest to sustain them - children do need to be taught how to keep themselves from being killed, lest they go punch a hungry tiger at mealtime."

He exhaled. "Wonder why they came here, too. Maybe they're running from something?"

~ Final Fantasy Tactics