New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Orcs of the endless and unconquered Forest (IC)

Grazik - Shaman

"Very well..."

<It appears you can take things from here Rada, good luck.>

2. - Top - End - #752
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, I remembered it being smaller... Eyeballing that, it seems to be about 50 miles. Rather tricky even with speed boosts, and he's not having my boots as well. I'll write something once I've thought about the distance some moer.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

I think we should find Kursque incase the fairies or pinkskins or gnolls got him too. What do you think?

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Yes, that's probably best. Let's leave them a message, first..."

Gell scores an arrow mark into a tree, and writes underneath 'We have gone to assist Kusque'.

"There. Lead on."
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show
    Askaretha's Ascension as Vaishirth

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

Mal rides quickly towards the location where Kursque probably is. He wants to get as far away from horrible fey and aberrations as quickly as possible.

6. - Top - End - #756

"Well, lead on. Perhaps the spirits will guide our feet to these tracks." It's better than standing around wishing I was with the rescue group, he didn't add, and an image briefly came to him of the rounded cut in the forest becoming a circle around which a set of lion's feet rolled. He blinked it away, and made to follow the hunter.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Banned

Goblin

Rada steps foward, slowly picking up her weapons, she then slowly places on the ground in front of them, to show she has no hostile intentions and except the same from the other side.
    "<Allow me to express my grattitude for letting us speak.>" She says. She should have bowed down or even kneel, but she is a daughter of the chief, such gesture could be read as a submission to Weavers. Not that she isn't in their power anyway. "<We came here to rescure our commrade, who has been kidnapped by the Gnolls. I offer you myself, for mind probing to prove that. Whatever the Gnolls did to enrage your people, he was not part of, at least not willingly.>" She pasuses for a moment, before continuing. "<The second matter we want to discuss with you is the cutters. We talked to them and found out they're cutting threes of mother forest in desperate attempt at defending themselves from mysterious threat, called The Grey. We belive that even if we defeat the cutters, the Grey will come to destroy us one day. Or group was in the middle of looking for any informations about this thing, before our attack. I ask for your aid - if you know anything about the Grey, please, tell us. The sooner we shall destroy it, the sooner the cutters will be gone.>" It wasn't her best speech, but next to creatures like that only much better speakers could hold their own. And, of course, they could just invade her mind and see whatever they wanted for themselves. She wasn't much of a speech person anyway.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

At the heart:

The voice becomes smoother adapting its concept-speech to your understanding of orcish, yet some concepts are still a jumble as you have no codified utterances for them.
    "Your gratitude is accepted, but irrelevant. We allowed you here to speak and so you did. Such is the order of things.
    We see no falsehood in your words' [mind/brain/lightning] reflection within you. We estimate a sufficient possibility that the [heretic/defiler]'s actions were an attempt to enable this kidnapping. The [heretic/defiler] left us only the action to deconstruct its [brain/path] to extrapolate its knowledge. We shall communicate to the Pixies to allow you retrieval of your companion.
    The [humanoid/standard/remnant] you designate as 'cutters' are an annoyance, we are aware of them. We estimate chance of permanent damage to [nature/source/forest] at 17 percent. Information on reason of appearance and subsequent action is fragmented. We request information you posess of this 'Grey' in exchange for information of equal value."

The beings do not move nor change their motions around the cube at any moment during this speech.

@Rada
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the appearance of the voice in full force, you notice the presence in your armor having become subdued, as if hiding.

With Kusque:
    About an hour later after oving into the direction that Anders had gestured, the tracker suddenly halts. He moves some ferns away as well as some ivy on a tree. You can see large tracks as well as crinks in bark and fern-stems.
    "Well, it does look like a giant came through here, like your contact said. But considering that the plants have already recovered this couldn't have been later than perhaps two weeks ago."
    Last edited by Re'ozul; 2012-12-22 at 12:55 PM.
    My first foray into homebrew: The Circuit Mage

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Pudgy kitty needs more views

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonehoarder - Necromantic Skeleton Shapeshifter
    Tahrven Millos - Arcane Hierophant
    Hordemaster Kordan - Ebon Initiate ... mostly
    Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Rooshkdor - Arrow Demon Archer
    Galen Medon - Batman?

9. - Top - End - #759
    Banned

Goblin

"<Grazzik, Smith, correct me if I got something wrong.>" Rada quickly glances at her two commrades, then turns towards Weavers again. "<The Grey is, from what the cutters told us, a result of a war between two of their huge tribes...they call them kingdoms. It looks like loosing kingdom would rather die than be conquered, and unleashed the Grey upon their defeat. It's an unknow force, that absorbs more and more land, making it gray and making everything at it wither and die. The cutter we talked to saw it's works and apparently, compared to that, what they did to Mother Forest looks like nothing. Worse than that, the Grey is apparently capable to reanimate creatures it slayed, it then sends to attack any defenses build against it. At this point cutters found only one way to stop it, and that is building magic towers from wood, that keeps it in place. However, the thing seems adapting and they need to build more of them. Currently the chief of cutters, the Warlord, is leading their armies against the reanimated dead, to defend those towers, and they invaded Mother Forest precisely to build more of them.>" She says. "<Oh, and the thing vaguely sounds like it may have something to do with necromancy.>"

10. - Top - End - #760

Grazik - Shaman

<You should explain what we're attempting to do and how the Gnolls interfered, context is important.> Grazik thinks to the others, trying to ignore the alien landscape around him gazing at the cube.

11. - Top - End - #761

"Perhaps the matter has been dealt with in that time, if there was one," Kusque said, partially to himself. Decisions, decisions, decisions... "Follow the tracks to their source as long as they stay close to our original path."

12. - Top - End - #762
    Banned

Goblin

"<Right.>" Rada answers Grazzik and turns back towards Weavers. "<As I said, our plan is to contact cutter's leaders and find a way to defeat the Grey, or at least something that would stop it without laying more harm on Mother Forest. We were planning on getting other races to work together on it, but during negotiations with Gnolls they decided to rather attack us.>" She explains. trying to keep it together, as the memory of that gnoll bastard saying he doesn't care about Mother Forest and worse, the memory of her own failure nd shame, flashes in front of her eyes again. She takes a little comfort in the fact that spirit of armor seems to be scared of Weavers - she won't be able to ask them about it, since giving information about the Grey will put the tribe in enough debt from the Fey already. besides, she is damn well scared of them herself.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

At the heart:

You can feel the connection that is the collective of the weavers pulse as Rada 'talks' to them. The pulses seem to go between the physical entities as well as to some other place beyond the reach of the connection crafted by Smith. After a short while the voice returns.
    "We have reached a preliminary consensus. The Grey's mode of operation is possible within known universal parameters. For better understanding, we are informing you that the glade-[center/immeasurable/all/break]s have lost 3.7% stability within the last 2.4 years outside time. We attribute this to a minute shift in the world's magic system. We estimate an 87% probability that the the Grey is the leading factor of this change due to arcane subsumation of the natural aspect. However, consensus indicates that its creation must have included an external catalyst as a local conscious driving arcane forces would eventually be returned to a natural [magic/source/being] after consuming enough natural-aspect driven magic.
    As per agreement, now name information you wish to obtain."

With Kusque:

After about 45 more minutes, Kusque hears something coming towards them from within the forest. First fearing another Gnoll attack, both he and the tracker hide, but eventually the sounds come close enough that he can see it being Gell and Mal and both meet up with him.

--------------------------------------
    Also: Merry Christmas and/or otherwise notable holiday.
    Last edited by Re'ozul; 2012-12-25 at 12:33 PM.

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello. Are you okay? Mal seems eager for news.

15. - Top - End - #765

Spoiler
    Show
    Happy Christmas everyone, or happy 25th December.

By the time Kusque began to move from his hiding place behind something with big strange-smelling leaves, the hunter was already out. It took him a moment to recognise the two as being Mal and Gell. He hadn't expected them to come following him.

"Hello Mal, Gell. Is something the matter?" He took in their bearing and overall appearance, and found nothing particularly out of place. "We're fine, thanks. I spoke to Anders, and they already know about the attack on the other camp. They have extra guards, but not enough to cover the area they'd like to be cutting. Our message from yesterday is still somewhere with them, and there's little point in returning this evening." He ran through the major points briefly, eager to ask about the fight with the gnolls. Then he could talk about what the two of them were doing way out here. Briefly he felt a little foolish about sticking to his plan to scout the border of the forest, but he wasn't sure if it was his own genuine thought or a sort of counterbalance to Agares' constant and subtle bending of his mind. He discarded the thought and moved on. "Are the gnolls all dead?"
    Last edited by Sutremaine; 2012-12-25 at 05:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

There were fairies and abertations! It was scary. It takes Mal a few seconds to realize how stupid that sounds.

17. - Top - End - #767

"We didn't see the gnolls at all. That gnoll was ambushed by pixies, who took him and Krunnar to the Broken Glade. The others are there now, speaking to the leaders of the fey...the weavers, is what the pixie said. We came to help you."

Gell shivers a bit at the memory of what they saw and felt in the Glade.

"Even the outskirts of the Glade are...disturbing. I hope not to do that again soon..."
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #768
    Banned

Goblin

Rada took a moment to think, as calmy and quietly as she could inside her head, without Weavers overhearing her. It was unpleasant experience, knowing somebody can hear your thoughts, and very inconvinient when you wanted something to stay inside your head. But regardless, once she "spoken" to the Weavers again she was sure she thought the best option.

"<We request the information about any means in whcih we could locate, transport ourself to and destroy either source of the Grey..that external factor you mentioned..or whatever that source using to connect itself to our world.>"

19. - Top - End - #769

"I've heard the stories about that place... I'm glad you've come out as you went in," Kusque said, glancing between the two of them. To be honest, he was kind of curious about the interior of the Broken Glade, even though he knew it would be no good for a mind like his. It was scary, yes, but also very inviting.

"At the moment we're scouting the edge of the trees for signs of a gnoll band or some other hostile. All we've found so far are giant tracks, no less than two weeks old." He coughed into his curled hand, and scratched at his cheek. "I..." Promised that pinkskin you'd do its guards' job for it? Foolish! He blinked. That was uncharacteristically vicious. "I promised Anders that I'd check the perimeter," he repeated. "This group is our only friendly contact with the rest of the pinkskin forces, after all." He decided to stop talking. Better to stay silent than attempt a bluff even you didn't believe... after all.

20. - Top - End - #770

Gell is slightly nonplussed, but assumes Kusque has some plan in mind.

"Whatever you think best. Let's get to work.

Mal, how do you think we should do this?"
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

We don't owe the pinkskins nothing! Still, searching for enemy is good. Mal isn't entirely focused on he matter at hand. His mind is still recounting the scary fairies.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

At the heart:

A mere second after Rada stops 'speaking' the voice returns. It seems they had anticipated this request.
    "Direct aquisition of source location most likely difficult. Saturation of arcane causes deviations, other possibilities include loss of magic control as divination based magic is absorbed. Suggest experiencing edge of current area of effect in multiple places. Approximation of total area shape would allow calculation of barycentre.
    Question for location of external influence contains faulty understanding of previous explanation. Conscious driving Grey is contained in Grey itself, but originates from extraplanar source.
    Given information does allow for high certainty in self-awareness of Grey, signs of adaptation suggest at least rudimentary understanding of tactics. Given information suggests capability for strategic thought due to suggested re-use of absorbed matter to create representations at consecutively finer level of granularity. Implies limited ressources within its confines. Based on given magnitude of event, suggests that percentage of re-usable material within whole absorbed material is low. Implies limit of conversion capacity. Limiting factor unknown.
    Continued destructive activity in spite of conscious thought implies destructive personality. Non-specific destruction implies no further interest for the plane beyond destruction, or limited rationality. If rational, revenge possible motif.
    Information deemed equivalent, [between space/teleport/transform] field active, you may return. Removal of gnoll not necessary, but desirable."

The teleport ring starts glowing. After a moment however, the weavers point their unoccupied hands towards you and a glowing ball of light appears, bits of adamantine that had broken off the ring float into it. After a few moments the ball disappears and a black circlet with three stones it falls to the ground.
    "Advised to take with you. Allows contact. Acceptance of communication attempt dependant on interest."

The circlet:
    Spoiler
    Show

With the others:

Spoiler
    Show
    Are you deciding on wether to keep going or are you only making smalltalk while waiting for me to post? Because if you keep going I'll have to make a timeskip.
    Last edited by Re'ozul; 2012-12-29 at 06:12 PM.

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

23. - Top - End - #773

Grazik - Shaman

Grazik approaches the circlet, and will pick it up if he finds nothing dangerous about it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft to figure out what it is and its properties: (1d20+19)[32]

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Grazik
    Spoiler
    Show
    Touching it, you open your senses. You try to foocus on the circlet exclusively so as not to be drowned in the deluge of contradictory information the surroundings impart on you.
    The circlet itself hums with magic, virtualy all based on divination with merely a smatter of abjuration. However, most is unfocused as if held in flux to conform to one spell or another at a whim. The only focused thing you can make out is a modified sending spell.

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

25. - Top - End - #775
    Banned

Goblin

"<Thank you for everything and let us hope we can deal with this problem as fast as possible.>" Rasa says, picking her weapons and slowly putting them in their place. "<We'll be taking our commrade, so we can take the Gnoll too.>" She adds, before turning to the unconcious Gnoll and picking him up over her arm.

26. - Top - End - #776

Grazik - Shaman

Once the othersv are ready (assuming they have nothing more to say), Grazik will go through the teleportation circle with them.

27. - Top - End - #777

Kusque shrugged. "Well, the hunter and I are going to carry on sweeping the edge. Either of you could find the giant tracks again if we need to come back, right?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, that post-Christmas feeling... too many chocolates, not enough good food. *_*

Anyway, going to carry on with the original plan.

28. - Top - End - #778

"Most like. Go ahead...I'll be behind you. Just in case."

Gell will be focusing on remaining hidden and watching for ambush.

Spoiler
    Show
    It isn't paranoia if it's already happened today...

Assuming taking ten on both is valid/available-Gell's Hide and Move Silently are 31, Spot and Listen are 27. Let me know if I need to actually roll.
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

Mal waits with Gell. He hopes that his tiger won't give away their position.

30. - Top - End - #780

"Thanks guys..." Kusque appreciated them helping out with the search, although at this point he wasn't convinced that they'd find anything dangerous. He and the hunter set off into the trees again.