New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [PF] Uses for Eldritch Bloodline feat?

Quick skim says the following could be of interest.

Abyssal (Greater) For Summoners (especially Master Summoner), if you plan on reaching level 17, this is worth the 2/3 questionable feats as a Summoner for Greater and RAW stacks with Superior Summoning.

Aquatic (improved) has potential in aquatic campaigns, but otherwise not of interest.

Arcane grants a Familiar. You don't gain TOO much directly, but I think there are options opened up here. New Arcana is lovely for Oracles or Summoners (possibly Witch), RAW giving you spells from off list.

Deep Earth (improved) for the 3rd level ability gives a bunch of misc stuff, though Tremorsense is the most valuable (Don't think it is worth 2/3 feats.

Oni (improved) would be insane under 3.5's version of Alter Self, though it's just kinda OK

Shadow (Improved) is Hide in Plain Sight without a dip for 2/3 feats (which is better than Shadowdancer's 3 feats and 2 skill points to enter, though it requires 15 charisma), plus it lets you swap places with an ally.

Use for Wildbloded variants is questionable, but...

Eldritch Bloodline (Sylvan) If you can somehow avoid being smacked (because its an archetype as well as both a power and an arcana), is also worth taking. You'll likely need to pair it with Boon Companion to counteract the -5 total penalty (which brings up an interesting question, at level 3 you would have a negative level animal companion, crazy).

Empyreal (improved) opens up channeling (Arcane on a divine spell caster can, but it is VERY feat heavy)

Umbral's first ability is better than Shadow Strike if you are going for HIPS.

Warped doesn't actually list a duration for the mutation, which is insane (though it says "brief", making the RAI to last the length of the stun, which is useless for this purpose).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [PF] Uses for Eldritch Bloodline feat?

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Abyssal (Greater) For Summoners (especially Master Summoner), if you plan on reaching level 17, this is worth the 2/3 questionable feats as a Summoner for Greater and RAW stacks with Superior Summoning.
    Also, Abyssal OR Orc Improved (9) for up to +6 Str bonus.

Eldritch Bloodline (Sylvan) If you can somehow avoid being smacked (because its an archetype as well as both a power and an arcana)
    Sylvan is VERY questionable, as you do NOT get the Arcanna from Eldritch Heritage.
    Although the severe-ish level penalty helps getting your DM to allow it.

Empyreal (improved) opens up channeling (Arcane on a divine spell caster can, but it is VERY feat heavy)
    And you only get ONE use per day.
    3 Feats for 1/day Channel energy? at -6 Character level?
    While it "can" qualify you for other feats/PrC's, you're almost ALWAYS better off just dipping a level of Cleric.

There are a LOT of nice abilities that can be had, but since most 1st level Bloodline abilities are pretty weak, you'll find yourself spending at least 3 feats to get something good (and you'll need 15+ Cha).

Some abilities that can be had from Improved Eldritch Heritage (not listing them all, just some of the better ones), most of them DO scale with level:
    • (choice of energy) Resist 10
    • TWO (energy) Resist 5
    • +X various Saves
    • Low-Light Vision OR Darkvision 30ft.
    • +5ft. reach when making a Melee Touch Attack
    • Fly speed (limited duration)
    • Burrow speed (limited duration)
    • Breath Weapon (and other similar abilities)
    • Up to +5 Initiative

Greater Eldritch Heritage can get (again, most scale):
    • Spell Resistance
    • Fly Speed 60ft. (no duration)
    • +30ft. movement
    • 30ft. Burrow speed
    • 60ft. Swim speed
    • Better than 'Enlarge Person' (limited duration)
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Arcane grants a Familiar. You don't gain TOO much directly, but I think there are options opened up here. New Arcana is lovely for Oracles or Summoners (possibly Witch), RAW giving you spells from off list.
    Arcane Bond is a Familiar OR an item, which includes weapons. So, free Masterwork weapon of your choice that you can improve without item creation feats, just time and skill on your part and the boosts only work for you. Enjoy your free Masterwork Cannon at level 3.

Strangely, I was just looking at this last night while working through the Gunslinger's Handbook's Feat section (Only UC left!) and I think there's potential to be had here if you delve far enough into it. I was thinking of writing up a mini-handbook on Eldritch Heritage after I finish the current post of the GH so I can link back to it and it looks like grarrrg has a good start on it.

What most attracted me is to picking up either 3 bloodlines as a Crossblooded Sorcerer or picking up both Abyssal/Orc and Pit-Touched for Inherent bonuses to both Str and Con. Hulk Sorcerer Smash!
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2012-04-02 at 09:34 AM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateWench

Personally, I think spell resistance is one of those awesome things that PCs just can't normally get, so that totally could be worth 3 Eldritch Heritage (Aberrant) feats for spell resistance that increases with level. The acid ray is kind of pointless but the resistance to crits & sneak attacks could come in handy. I'm not sure about the extra reach with touch attacks; what sort of touch attacks would a non-sorcerer be making that would be worthwhile? Especially when that person already has to have a great charisma?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMoon6 View Post
    I'm not sure about the extra reach with touch attacks; what sort of touch attacks would a non-sorcerer be making that would be worthwhile? Especially when that person already has to have a great charisma?
    Oracles come to mind, and to a lesser extent ninja using Pinpoint Poisoner to make touch sneak attacks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    What most attracted me is to picking up either 3 bloodlines as a Crossblooded Sorcerer or picking up both Abyssal/Orc and Pit-Touched for Inherent bonuses to both Str and Con. Hulk Sorcerer Smash!
    I'll just leave this here.
    It starts to get a little crazy about halfway down....
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    I'll just leave this here.
    It starts to get a little crazy about halfway down....
    I recall the thread when you wrote it. Too many halves involved if you want Dragon, Sage, Abyssal/Orc and Pit-Touched in the same build.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMoon6 View Post
    Personally, I think spell resistance is one of those awesome things that PCs just can't normally get, ...
    Monk 13...........
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook