Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Monk Campaign: A Boot to the Head (OOC)

Just wanted to remind everyone about the Obsidian Portal wiki, as it's a great place to store/organize information - such as a list of supplies we requisition as a group:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...ikis/main-page

PM me your email address if you want to be added to it, after which you'll be able to edit wiki pages, post on the adventure log, etc.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Man on Fire: I'm assuming you have what is on your character sheet when you rolled up your character. If you go to Rassaphore Godwin and request extra equipment, then take anything on the approved list you want for free. The rest you'll have to pay for. If you want to keep equipment that is on the free list, then pay for that as well, using the price list in the PHB. I'll RP it out later, but this is only a quick post, since my wife is taking a nap. We have an early start in the morning. I work tonight until 4:30 am, then we're up again at 6 am to head out to Ft. Worth, because the wife has early derby practice. And BTW, I'm not that much of an alignment nazi. You can be LG if you want. If you started playing your character as a different alignment, then I won't stop you, I'll just issue alignment ping warnings, or an actual alignment ping. Alignments, imho, serve more as guidelines to help you RP, and are subject to change based on character development. However, I remain steadfast to RAW in the concept of alignment restrictions. Those who start acting chaotic could lose their ability to gain levels as a Monk. Those who end up like that may be counted as a fallen Monk in the eyes of the Abbey and treated accordingly if their new behavior patterns are discovered.

PSinger: Mine is a year and a half. He is busy chewing on all his plastic eggs right now... spoils of war. He also seems to be putting all the eggs in his basket, and them taking them back out, then repeating. I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish, but he is being quiet, so I'm happy. How about you and your son? Did you have a nice Easter together?

Azoth: BTW, I'm enjoying the "not it" banter. I didn't say so earlier, but I found it quite amusing. I nearly fell out of my chair when I read the uncle-brother-daddy comment. Clearly, Azoth, you have been reading my campaign notes.

To All: Incidentally, for the sake of game flow, I'd like it if all things in the IC thread remained in character. If you want to talk about game strategy, carrying capacity, or what-have-you, please either post it in the OOC or from the perspective of your character.

Things that meld well with with IC stuff (like attack rolls and skill checks) are fine, but please put them in Spoiler tags with a heading so it doesn't break the flow. 4th wall stuff, like inner monologue can go in IC, if you'd like to give away inner thoughts and motivations, but I'm ok with you either leaving that out or putting it in Spoilers as well.

Do checks and such like this:
    Diplomacy Check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78,922 (To see if I can haggle with Rassaphore Godwin)

And don't forget to RP your skill checks or attacks. You can do it before or after your roll; however is best for you.

Hint: Good RP might give you a circumstance bonus to your checks or attacks or it might give you RPXP.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-04-08 at 07:01 PM.
    I'm back… more or less. My schedule has evened out some, so I can post more frequently. Daily posting will be a challenge though.

PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters: I'm not playing in any games at the moment.

My Campaigns:
    Champions of Gru Game Closing

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

I was wondering about the whole "let's put everything on a mule for the whole group" thingie. I mean, I have taken a vow of poverty so I can't have any magical items and such. Now, if we have a mule for the whole group who carries magical items e.g. potions CLW, does this then mean I lose my vow because of being co-owner of these magical items, since they are a "group acquisition"?
    My character:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Inex, one of the problems with sharing my computer with my roomie is that sometimes one of us doesn't log out/ in. So, the PSinger post that mentioned some 11 year old child is funny ... because he's in his early 20s and is as gay as the day is long.

No, I apologize. I didn't log out of his account when I got onto the computer. LOL! Though I think the idea is kind of funny.

zever, I can't see that affecting you like that. Just because we mention "community property" doesn't mean that you should automatically be hit because we have a common-use item. However, use of those items is a problem for you, just as it's always been. You can benefit from the light of someone else's candle or lantern burning .... but you shouldn't handle or hold it yourself. And it's super-BS to hit the rest of us with a whammy that we can't have a community set to satisfy your vow.

Hopefully, Inex just has you "accompanying" the rest of us, the rest of us having community property.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

I will snag a bit of gear when I have time to look over the books. I kind of wish we could have bought healing belts...but they are MIC.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

zever: First of all, the stuff that is borrowed from the Abbey is not your property, so I don't see how your vow would be broken. And there's nothing in RAW against a Vow of Poverty Monk having loot... just about them keeping loot. In fact, I believe you're required to take your share so that you have something to donate to whatever selfless cause you see fit.

lostsole31: Oh! My wife and I do that too, since she posts on here as well, as missmvicious. My apologies. I just assumed that you two were a couple and one of you had a kid from a former marriage. That kind of situation is fairly common around here.

Azoth: Help yourself to magic items, alchemical items, and mundane items as listed in the DMG and PHB for now. The abbey isn't fully stocked enough for MIC contents, but it's well supplied. Max value of a single item is 800gp.
    I'm back… more or less. My schedule has evened out some, so I can post more frequently. Daily posting will be a challenge though.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

I've decided to use "$" as the term for GP, to keep it simple. But I worry that it breaks character, and is a little too U.S.-centric for a worldwide forum. Does anyone have a better idea? I'm thinking of doing this:

Using Coanachoch's total as reference:

112.04g
    GP 112.04

Thoughts? In IRL campaigns, we just say 112 gold and 4 copper, but that looks so wordy and weird when it's typed.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry

8. - Top - End - #38

GP is the standard GSE/ OSE (Greyhawk/ Oeridian Stock Exchange) notation for the international unit of currency known as a "gold piece."
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

PLAYing
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok. We'll just use GP then, like GP 112.04.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, so we're ready to go then? I need someone to add all the "Group item" stuff to their character sheet. Who wants to take the lead on that?

For the one who does, please try to make note of what is on the mule, if you decide to bring one. Obviously, in order to pull items from the pack mule you must be standing next to the mule and still able to expend a move action.

Also, please establish a basic marching order. It doesn't have to be mathematically precise, unless you want it to be, at which point, here is a battle grid, for you.
    Spoiler
    Show

But you may play it fast and loose if you want with things like, "I want to cover the right flank and stay in or near cover when possible," or "I take the point and center myself where I can get the best unobstructed view of the terrain."

Keep in mind that if you play fast and loose, then I will position you on the battle grid to wherever I can that best suits your request, within reason. I won't try to screw anyone with battle positioning, but I may not be able to read your mind. If you end up in a square that you were expecting, then just play it off as if you were getting into position when said encounter popped up and roll with it.

Also, not all encounters have to be battle scenarios. I give XP for successfully completing an encounter, whether that involves kicking the creatures butt, or coaxing valuable information from it. Of course whether you put your boot to everyone's throat or not is up to how you want to play, though you may notice alignment pings toward evil or possibly chaotic if you start turning all encounters into blood fountains full of XP.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry

11. - Top - End - #41

Now, now, bloodthirstiness is not limited to chaos ... plenty of paladins in the world with itchy pommel-fingers.

I'll (Coanacoch) will take the lead on the mule. I'll also walk it. My charisma by mechanics would make me a terrible ranger, but hopefully my lack of better talent and somewhat inwardness will give me something in common with the varmint. Looking for items to put on the mule ....
    • Mule and pack saddle (Obviously, this is the mule ... I don't want to burden the poor bugger by putting a mule with a saddle on top of him.)
    • Tents (2)
    • Firewood
    • Hammer
    • Writing Implements for Log (ink, inkpen, 5 sheets parchment)

Anyone else have ideas ... I don't want to be frivolous, nor do I want to get into classic "boy scout/ adventurer/ Batman" mentality. One of the things I want the mule to still be able to carry ... is one of us if things were dire and we needed to ferry a fallen member back to the monastery.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

PLAYing
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

Update subscription, dammit!
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

PLAYing
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll take the right flank and watch for all dangers.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'll go up front when we are in civilized areas, since I'm the spokesperson when we meet npc's. When we are in the wild, I will be more at the back, or still at the front if no one else wants that.
    My character:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

Since I have the bow and am stealth speced I will take the advanced scouting position if no one objects. I can also jump my AC up to a respectable number incase someone gets the drop on me.

16. - Top - End - #46

Also please add rope and the manacles to the mule. Never know if we will need to detain/arrest someone.

Also while not phb or dmg may I buy spools of candle whick? They cost 2sp each and come in 50' rolls. I was thinking to use them as timers and trip lines since it takes a measured time to burn a set length of it and it is thin enough to thread through bells and such.
    Last edited by Azoth; 2012-04-12 at 03:35 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    Also please add rope and the manacles to the mule. Never know if we will need to detain/arrest someone.
    Inex, my sheet ("Other Notes") is updated with the list on my post above, and with these items.

Automonks, roll out ...
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

PLAYing
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post

Also while not phb or dmg may I buy spools of candle whick? They cost 2sp each and come in 50' rolls. I was thinking to use them as timers and trip lines since it takes a measured time to burn a set length of it and it is thin enough to thread through bells and such.
    I can't think of a single abbey on any planet that wouldn't have candle wicks. You may have them, but as they are not a mission approved item, you will need to purchase them. In the interest of moving the plot forward, we can just say you went to Rassaphore Godwin, bought the amount you need, and he took the appropriate amount from you. Go ahead and deduct the value of what you purchased from your sp stash and log the corresponding amount of wick onto your character sheet.

Incidentally lostsole31, don't sweat it too hard on the alignment pings. Long before I issue an alignment ping I ask what your character's motivations are for acting out of alignment... especially if the alignment ping can affect your ability to take levels, like a chaos ping would for a monk. If I'm not sold on your explanations, then I give you a heads up that further similar actions could result in an alignment ping. If you totally disagree with the ping and can find a RAW reason why I'm wrong, then I'll take it back and give you an internet for doing your homework. But for the record, I've never given an alignment ping that a player thought was unjustified. I try to respect the spirit of RP as much as humanly possible.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry

19. - Top - End - #49

Does Coanacoch know what types of birds these things might be?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana & Religion are same modifier (1d20+2)[14]
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

PLAYing
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    Does Coanacoch know what types of birds these things might be?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana & Religion are same modifier [roll0]
    You are fairly confident that they are not constructs, dragons, or magical beasts, nor do you have any reason to believe that they are deities or undead monsters.

You do feel a strange affinity towards it, however.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-04-12 at 08:50 PM.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry

21. - Top - End - #51

Now, I understand the concept of Knowledge skills and 10/15 + CR and all that, but there are some things that just make sense regardless of the monster type.

If they are couatls, then there would be no reason how two people that grew up in a culture dealing with countless motifs of these things shouldn't recognize them ... we might not know "creature type" ... we might not know game-mechanics data, even though we might know a mix of real/false legendary data concerning them.

But to say that they are unrecognizeable is like saying a Bushman on the Serengeti doesn't recognize a lion because he doesn't have K: Nature ... he might not understand a D&D-nomenclature of what it is ... but he still knows what it is.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

PLAYing
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I take stuff like that into consideration. I assume that you have common knowledge (at least the name and perhaps whether or not it is dangerous) of all things indigenous to the region, except for rare things, like what is flying above you. These birds are abnormal, which is why they warrant some degree of attention. However, by RAW, anything that requires a Knowledge check that you don't have ranks in is based on common knowledge only and requires an INT check DC10 to get even that common knowledge. Which in this case, is mostly what you see. I've taken into account that these birds are flying high in the air as well. If the distance between you and the birds were reduced, you may be able to deduce more facts about them.

Still, that doesn't mean the house-ruler in me doesn't begrudgingly agree with you. I was interested in trying a RAW exclusive campaign, but if we'd all prefer, we can adopt an old house rule that I used for all of my campaigns back when I DM'd regularly.

Here is an excerpt from it, called the knowledge tree, based on the concept that some knowledge bleeds well into others:

Knowledge Tree

The rule is quite simple. You perform a Knowledge check, and if it is at least close to the type of knowledge check needed to make the guess, then you take a -5 penalty to your check and compare the results as if you'd made the correct check. For instance, someone who knows a lot about architecture and engineering would be able to apply his knowledge of pulleys and levers well enough to understand many types of constructs... especially warforged and effigies.

However if the connection between your knowledge check and the monster you're trying to understand is only vaguely related, like Arcana is to Geography, then you may be able to piece together that there are some regions that are known for construct exports, or tend to be run (or are overrun) by a certain type of construct. So the information you'd be able to provide would be far less useful in combat. You'd take a -10 to your check.

Thoughts?

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    If they are couatls, then there would be no reason how two people that grew up in a culture dealing with countless motifs of these things shouldn't recognize them
    LOL! I missed that. Fine, I'll give away this much. They aren't Coautls... keep your shirt on. It's a bit too early to tie in your cultural background to the campaign.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry

24. - Top - End - #54

Post #1

I didn't study it, I merely glanced over it ... but I like the idea of the knowledge tree. I imagine there would be times when there might be a closer tie than -5, but also that different knowledge gives different information about something. (For example, many outer planar creatures might be known in different ways depending on if you are using K Planes or K Religion.)

Makes sense. In my campaign, there are times where the confluence of something's rarity is such that you need two or more types of Knowledge or the ability to piece together everything is rare.

I allow Aids on Knowledge checks ... two colleagues chatting about some conundrum together, but I RARELY allow a third. I use Complete Adventurer's expanded skill useage for Aids to be higher bonuses depending on the aid roll (including for AC or attack bonuses, but we see those more rarely than for skills). What I don't like is when a whole adventuring party ... especially when only two, for example, have any competency ... and we have the Aid train. If it were that easy, kingdom's would never need that one guy who's The Sage ... everyone with half a rank would Aid each other into the mysteries of the Universe in no time. But, I digress.

I like it. I won't put too much notice in it, though, honestly ... because neither of our characters really have much Knowledge .... just a baseline amount to cover monastic traditions and monastic philosophies.

Post #2

Yeah, sorry ... that was reactionary ... but mainly cause I just dealt with something like this in another game. (Though that was resolved.)

Honestly, had it been couatls this soon and so far away .... I would've felt cheated somehow, that it would've been a very bad nod to go "yes, they're exotic, that's it, let's move on" kind of feel. It would've been sooo sleazy, so I'm quite glad it isn't .... that, and couatls? four? here? at their power level? Yeah.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

PLAYing
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

To be specific, it's 2 birds... each with 4 wings.

As for Aid Another, I forgot that bit. My house rule has an addendum that eliminates Aid Another with Knowledge checks in the strictest sense of the term, since that would effectively break the game. Instead, I secretly tell each person what they know about a creature, and they have to confer that info in-character with the other players. It works a bit more smoothly in IRL campaigns due to my ability to just highlight what they know, show it to them, and then pull the info away, but I suppose a PM will suffice in this situation.

However, by RAW, I have no issue with as many people using Aid Another with Knowledge checks as long as it's by RAW, which is to say, they have to have ranks in the appropriate Knowledge category in order to Aid. Since almost all of you have ranks in religion and arcana that means you will be able to discuss amongst yourselves quite astutely in all matters magical and theological but may here crickets chirp when trying to have a stimulating conversation about dungeons, nobility, history, etc.

All things said, I'm enjoying the RAW approach heretofore, and unless everyone (or at least the majority) wants me to use my house-rule, then I'd like to keep it that way.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry

26. - Top - End - #56

Looks good to me!

And, yeah ... NOBODY shold ever be able to Aid another when dealing with a skill that can't be used untrained, anyway.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

PLAYing
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'm fine with whatever rules you want to play with, I'm not much of a "oh, but the rules say this..."-player anyway. I most often just ask the question and leave the decisions about what can or can't be done to the DM's discretion.
    My character:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll take up the rear since I'm better in a support role. Also, my Spot's pretty good, so I can keep an eye out for anyone following us.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

BTW, I changed "skulking" to "sulking." I just noticed that typo and fixed it, since that does change the image somewhat.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

BTW, I was reading Murphy's Law, and compared the "riding dog" joke with the one on OoTS, and can't help but agree. Riding dogs seem kind of like a silly idea.

If you'd like, I'm prepared to add this
    Spoiler
    Show

as a playable option for a pint-sized mount if it should ever come up in the game. I'm not very good at down-sizing creatures, so if someone has a black-belt in build mechanics, you're welcome to put together some stats on them. I believe Dungeonscape covers the rules on miniaturizing normal sized creatures.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry