Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Monk Campaign: A Boot to the Head (OOC)

@ Everyone:
    If you wish to describe your attack in detail, please do so. Combat RPXP can always be rewarded, and in some cases, I will offer circumstance bonuses to attack or damage if it makes sense to do so. I'm keeping it RAW, so no called shot bonuses will be given, but if the strategy is smart and would likely cause a bonus after-effect IRL (my wife and I have had some traditional weapons training, which will help out on judgment calls like that), then I'm more likely to play off of that.

I'd love to read how you visualize your characters in combat. So dig deep into your theatrical side and have some fun with it.
    I'm back… more or less. My schedule has evened out some, so I can post more frequently. Daily posting will be a challenge though.

PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters: I'm not playing in any games at the moment.

My Campaigns:

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

FYI, PSinger, the weasel (not the pigeon) is attacking you. I did a pronoun count and realized my grammar may have been misleading.

Although... I may one day create a flock of dire pidgeons for a just-for-yucks campaign. What a sh*tstorm that would be, am I right?
    I'm back… more or less. My schedule has evened out some, so I can post more frequently. Daily posting will be a challenge though.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

It's cool PSinger. She took no damage. The weasel couldn't hold the grapple long enough to make his CON drain attack.

Also, I'm posting for odigity for now, since he's been inactive in the IC since the 21st. Two weeks of inactivity, and I'll post for re-recruitment. Odigity, if you're reading, you're welcome to take charge of your character any time between now and May 5th. If you haven't taken over your character by then, I'll assume you've withdrawn interest, write you out and open a recruitment thread.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    @ Everyone:
    If you wish to describe your attack in detail, please do so. Combat RPXP can always be rewarded, and in some cases, I will offer circumstance bonuses to attack or damage if it makes sense to do so. I'm keeping it RAW, so no called shot bonuses will be given, but if the strategy is smart and would likely cause a bonus after-effect IRL (my wife and I have had some traditional weapons training, which will help out on judgment calls like that), then I'm more likely to play off of that.

I'd love to read how you visualize your characters in combat. So dig deep into your theatrical side and have some fun with it.
    Yessir, describing action scenes is my weaker side so it's gonna be good writing excersise.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    FYI, PSinger, the weasel (not the pigeon) is attacking you. I did a pronoun count and realized my grammar may have been misleading.

Although... I may one day create a flock of dire pidgeons for a just-for-yucks campaign. What a sh*tstorm that would be, am I right?
    Pigeon ... a bird.

Pidgeon, Walter ... an actor.

Yes, a flock of Walter Pidgeons would indeed be terrifying.
    Current Games
    Spoiler: Rise of the Runelords
    Show
    Rise of the Runelords - Dušana Essert,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Half-Elf female Bonded Witch 1// Menhir Savant 1
    Spoiler: Image of the Druid-Witch
    Show

Spoiler: The Savage Tide
    Show
    The Savage Tide - Rabbi-Doctor Eliezer Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Young Amphibious Chalkydri Priest of Moradin 7

Spoiler: Zodiac
    Show
    Zodiac
    Vanarath - young Astral Deva 11 of Michael Bindar II

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Dire... Walter... Pigeons. Touche.

I give us pigeon poop jokes, PSinger gives us the golden age of radio and silent film puns. This DM is amused.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

7. - Top - End - #127

*curtseys cutely and demurely*
    Current Games
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Show

Show
    The Savage Tide - Rabbi-Doctor Eliezer Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

Show
    Zodiac

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Yessir, describing action scenes is my weaker side so it's gonna be good writing excersise.
    A fair point. While I prefer you to write out your action, if you wish to use visuals to aid your descriptions, you're welcome to do so, as long as that's not the only way you describe your combat.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Dire Weasle stew anyone?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Lol. That's the first thing that came to my mind.

I once threw and encounter of bears at a party who were hunting for dinner. The PCs killed them, then started rolling some Knowledge Nature checks. The Ranger 20'd that roll and they figured out how to make use of every square inch of those bears. I had to do some rapid-fire googling to come up with some applicable uses for bear parts.

Steak from the meat, bindings from the sinew, tools, weapons, and armor enhancement from the bone, winter blankets and hide armor from the skins. It was a survival campaign, and they worked it. I have to admit, that was some stressful DM'ing when they decided to go all Bear Grylls on me, but it was still a lot of fun.

Anyway, if you guys have plans for the Weasel, have at it, or turn in for the night. I'll give it until tonight before I post again in IC. As for Ulyono, I'll try to figure out how to put him to better use. As I've mentioned before, I've only ever played a Monk once, so this will be a bit of a learning curve, but I don't want to gimp the character just because I'm being lazy. However, if one of you would like to take over Ulyono for combat purposes, you're welcome to do so. Just post interest in OOC, and I'll give it over to the first one who speaks up. Until then, I'll run him until we get to Cliffside, then send him out to pasture as an NPC.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I am going to start making Li kind of like a native american spirit walker. Manifesting his powers to make him a better scout/killer, and using what he can from the corpses of fallen animals. Humanoid or other enemies, he will atleast try and take a trophy. You know, an ear here, finger their, tounges of casters, coin purses of cowards...

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

@Azoth: I was kind of seeing that in your character too. I hope the picture I picked for your character didn't influence your style of play, but it's a really cool interpretation of a monk.

The fantasy world can't be inhabited entirely by crackas and asians.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Vir-Sashi and Li:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cleaning an animal is going to give you a surgical knowledge of creatures like this. I'm going to give you a +4 circumstance bonus to your Knowledge: Nature checks involving non-magical mammals hereon out, and full knowledge of Dire Weasels. Just crack open the MM1 and have a look if you face one again.

I know this is kind of steep for a circumstance bonus, but seriously, you guys are basically giving the furry fella an autopsy. There won't be many secrets left. Without ranks in Knowledge: Nature, this give you an effective Knowledge check of 14, but that should be enough to know about most mundane mammals.

Anything else the crew wants to do before you head back to bed?

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think it did. I usually play paranoid rogues, guerilla fighters, or unseen seers. So the party scout role is one i am comfortable with, and know well. I am also the type to pack tools for every occassion once wbl allows it.

That is a sweet bonus for disecting a dire weasel. Can't wait to see how that comes into play later on.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

TBH, Azoth, I wasn't expecting you to fight a Dire Weasel either. I was about as surprised as you were. I typically do encounter-by-environment, not encounter-by-level to enhance verisimilitude, but I needed something fair and simple to test out your combat methods and capabilities. I used a chart, based on creatures that were climate/terrain and CR appropriate and hoped for the best. The dice landed on Dire Weasel, so that's why your character is standing over 700 lbs of weasel carcass. So you're welcome for the bonus, but there's no need to thank me. You earned it.

BTW, you guys kicked butt, even with a couple members not even able to join in the fight. I feel a little safer doing encounter-by-environment from now on.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh I know what you mean. I am not too big on always meshing CR to an area or even using monsters constantly when I DM. Grimtooth is my buddy heheh. I hope continue to impress and learn more teamwork oriented strategies as we go. Also...Dibs on the head and forelimb fur. Sooo making a head dress and arm warmers out of it.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Posting results OOC because I don't have anything to add IC right now.

Li's Fatigue Damage:
    (1d6)[2] non-lethal

Vir-Sahi pulls through. He seems to be one tough nut.

We're just waiting on Coanacoch, who is quickly earning the name Necacoch for posting as PSinger.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

About how much of the weight is in bones, just out of curiousity?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

I honestly don't know. Google failed me on this one.

But based on what I do know of weasel and ferret anatomy, roughly half the body weight would be fat, muscle and sinew. Bones, organs, blood, hide and fur would make up the rest. Weasel fur is dense, and its hide is proportionately thick by my memory, which is a big part of why they're so tough irl.

I'm going to just have to do a hand-wave ruling on this:
    Weasel = 700 lbs
    Available meat = 350 lbs
    Hide = 50 lbs
    Organs and blood = 75 lbs
    Bones = 200 lbs
    Remnants = 25 lbs (nerves, mucus, waste, etc)

You rolled well on your Survival check, but I countered your productivity on harvesting meat with your lack of Knowledge: Nature. Since this was an experiment for your character, not all of your cuts were efficient, so only 300 lbs of the meat was actually usable (which is still 10 months worth of rations, so it's been a productive night).

The next time something comes up, I'll take your newfound knowledge of rodent anatomy into consideration.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Azoth, neverming about Li's fatigue damage.

Remember Ulyono's cooking? You get a +2 to Fort saves, which pushes you over the DC.

Rolling Coanacoch's Fort Save now:
    (1d20+7)[25]

Passed like a boss.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-05-04 at 03:23 PM.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok boys and girls, how are we divying up carry the carcass around. We have 550lb worth of crud to carry unless someone really wants the sinews for rope/bow strings. I can carry about 150lb max with the rest of my gear...we need people to lug the other 400lb to town. Any volunteers and if so how much will you carry?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

*crickets chirping*

LMAO! I think you scared them away, Azoth. They have got to be looking at your 550 lbs of freshly carves animal scraps and going, "Uhhhhhh."

@ PSinger: I'm jealous. I'm a huge fan of the theatre but never get to go. It sounds like lostsole31 is having a great time! Like I said before, pictures are always welcome in the OOC, if you guys are willing to post them. As for your finals, congratulations on making in through another semester alive, and I hope you do well!

@ Everyone: Anyone want to try their hand at DM'ing a 3.5 campaign? Several alternates and myself from the Privateers campaign decided to strike out on our own and make a new recruitment thread for a DM. The characters are already built, but we still need a DM. It's a Privateer campaign, so the prospecting DM may want to be familiar with aquatic rules and such, and possibly own or have easy access to Stormwrack.

If you're interested, become our hero and post here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241618

We're having a hard time finding a DM willing to adopt our ragtag crew.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-05-05 at 02:19 AM.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey just wait unti i pick up some craft skills, and profession taxedermy. Then I can stuff things like this and post them up around the abbey as cool decorations! Or hell what would the skill be to make rations and such out of these guys?

Oh dear god...animate object on taxidermied dire animals...Bwahahahahaha!
    Last edited by Azoth; 2012-05-05 at 05:19 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth
    Hey just wait unti i pick up some craft skills, and profession taxedermy. Then I can stuff things like this and post them up around the abbey as cool decorations!
    Lol! Sounds creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth
    Or hell what would the skill be to make rations and such out of these guys?
    Profession: Cook, minimum 1 rank.

Meta-Knowledge Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drying meat takes the better part of a day (about 10 hours), and you'd need a way to hang the meat and cure it in anti-microbials (like salt, or strong liquor). Ulyono has ranks in Profession: Cooking, so he can handle that business. But in the meantime, the meat will need to be stored where dirt won't get in and the smell wont get out. Fortunately, it's still early spring. The cool air will keep the meat fresh longer, but spoilage could still be a concern. I believe all of you (concerned the technology era-equivalent of a fantasy setting) has seen meat being cured and dried at the monastery and are at least familiar enough with the concept. But the details of it are better left to someone with at least one rank in Profession: Cooking, since there's enough that could go wrong in the process that the meat could be ruined, or even become a poison if improperly done.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-05-05 at 01:50 PM.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

It makes me a bit glad that this is not a high op game. That way we can afford to have some silly parts to our char sheets. It is always more fun when you can afford to be goofy and unoptimized.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm with you there. If you take a look at my PbP character sheets, they are all low-op. It's what I prefer. It's more fun when there's a chance you'll screw up.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

BTW, I've found a replacement for odigity. He's a lurker on our campaign who's posted interest as an alternate before.

I'd like to know what the group thinks. Should we integrate him now, or wait until it's plot appropriate? I could "tweak" the plot so that Ulyono has to go back to the monastery for some reason, but the new guy has been sent in his place.

Bottom line, I don't like playing DMPCs. It's a necessary evil when a player drops out, but I'd rather be done with Ulyono as soon as possible. So if you guys are willing to ignore a little bit of plot cheese, I can get your team set up with a new monk ready for action... and he posts a lot too.

PbP Junk and Stuff:

My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm okay with this, if others are.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'm also fine with that, just drop him in and I will play along ;)
    My character:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150

Sounds good to me.
    Current Games
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Show

Show

Show
    Zodiac