New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Weirdness Ensues!

"And how do you suggest we go about doing that? Not exactly like we can just ask a 'memory' to bleed for us while the vessel holding the memory refused to do so himself..."

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

-Doomraga's Revenge by T.A. Barron

Extended Homebrew Signature

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

"Why can't we? I can just zap it all better for them afterward, too. Can they even feel pain? Probably not! They're memories."

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow: My only purpose is to ensure the continued memory of my people. To spread knowledge of their last moments would be of the greatest joy.

As soon as the thought enters your mind you see a single tentacle pierce through Clip's bubble of protection. It looks wrong in the air, as it looks like a brush mark on a canvass but moves as though it was made of oil floating atop clear water. Then the tendril contacts the altar it is covered in the inky substance, before turning all the light from the crystal into a sickly pink color. The world around you becomes one entirely of fluid, the air replaced by oil paints like the aboleth's ancestor, but vibrant and colorful. Within these oils live more the jet black aboleth-like shapes and other creatures like them, beings of liquid form and constant movement. This world is beautiful in its own way, like an impressionist painting come to life.

This beauty is shortly violated by something that clearly does not belong, something solid. Naked human-like creatures swim into view from all directions, spreading out from their bodies is a taint, one that forces the oils of the plane into solid form, losing there uniqueness and life. The humans appear as men and women who did not grow into their form; instead being formed in their current body mere moments ago, lacking any imperfection from injury or accident of birth. Despite this physical perfection there is something that is obviously wrong with them, they do not focus their eyes on any object and simply float from inky being to inky being draining them of life. Following these creatures is the silhouette of a black mass of chains, gears, and blades. The vision then fades back to Clip's protective bubble within the sea of Zkru's ancestral memories.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Igneel View Post
    "And how do you suggest we go about doing that? Not exactly like we can just ask a 'memory' to bleed for us while the vessel holding the memory refused to do so himself..."
    Judging by recent experience, it appears our aquatic compatriot is quite adept at asking others to perform tasks which it refuses to perform itself, particularly where such tasks involve physical injury or reckless tampering with the fabric of reality.

Pinky removes a scroll from his bag, securing it to the bandolier across his chest under the robe and checking other pockets to ensure ready availability of particular potions.

It appears that data from The Thing That Should Not Be will be indispensable in our quest, and prior attempts to obtain it by force have failed. If this recursive meddling with the plane around us is our best available option, it behooves us to minimize the potential for disaster. If anyone else has a more efficient method of detaching unwanted entities from the altar, please be prepared.

As the tentacle appears, Pinky silently watches and takes more notes, attempting to extract as much information as possible from the images.

Spoiler
    Show
    Autohypnosis check to remember details: (1d20+15)[29]
    Knowledge(Local) check to see if the "wrong" humanoids resemble any particular exotic variety of human: (1d20+14)[33]
    Knowledge(Dungeoneering) check in case they are actually aberrations: (1d20+19)[23]
    Knowledge(Engineering) check to discern the function of the gears: (1d20+19)[20]
    Knowledge(Planes) check on the suspicion that the mass of gears is an Inevitable or something similar: (1d20+38)[50]

5. - Top - End - #335

"I think we should explore deeper into Zrkie's memories. Throughout the time I have spent with him I have realised that he likes to keep secrets."
    Extended Hombrew Signature

6. - Top - End - #336

Flumph

"Mmm, would these humanoids be the agents of the overdeity that caused the previous reconstruction? Too bad they didn't stick around or we could have tried to push one of them into the prime crystal. I wonder if we could recreate one through sheer force of will?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(Eons) check on the humanoids:(1d20+49)[59]
    Cha check to recreate the essense of one of the humanoids we saw in the altar:(1d20+14)[20]
    Last edited by Demonic_Spoon; 2012-05-15 at 08:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.
    May have a optimization addiction.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite all of his effort Zkru is unable to reform any of the previously visible creatures

Knowledge results both of you got about the same
    Spoiler
    Show

Humanoids: They resemble to a degree both axiomatic humans, creations of pure law in the form of humans, and they give off a similar feel emotionally to the mock-humans who inhabit Babel.
    The Gears: They would seem to be either be part of an ancient inveitable or a subspecies of kyton. Both of those are also outsiders with connection to law as and failing that kytons are connected to the mock-humans themselves.

8. - Top - End - #338

Flumph

Gripping his sacrificial Karras stone knife tightly in one tentacle, Zkru makes a superficial slash on another of his tentacles, letting the blood drip onto the altar. The wound quickly and visibly grows shut again, the flow of blood rapidly stopping.

"Let us see what we shall see."
    Last edited by Demonic_Spoon; 2012-05-18 at 09:58 AM.
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.

9. - Top - End - #339

Akha prepares himself for what will come forth from the bloodied altar. He's just glad that he doesn't have to give his own blood.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

As the aboleth's blood flows into the altar so to does it flow into your vision, as though your brow was covered in cuts that ran into the eyes. By the time your vision clears there is no party, each of you is alone in the dark waters surrounding Clip's bubble surrounded by inky black pre-aboleths. You are a mass of raw pink flesh, covered in raw nerve endings that burn with pain from the contact with the water itself. The creatures sculpt and move your body about until it one that approximates their form in solid state. Each change is followed by a spasm of pain from the many spawn currently growing in your womb, who are themselves being molded to mirror your form.

One of the liquid creatures begins speaking to you through telepathy, as this transformation has left you without the ability to understand true communication through mixing of the fluids of the body.

Pre-aboleth: It is worse than we once feared. The destroys are not merely content to destroy all that we have built, but are now creating lesser versions of themselves so that once they die of old age their offspring will continue to pollute existence for as long as can be predicted.

You are our last hope though it must be difficult to understand in your pain. Your children will be able to live in this new horrible world of concrete form and void. Our creations will be able to take back creation from the destroyers and their children, these humans, and perhaps if any of us still live restore creation to what it once was.

11. - Top - End - #341

Flumph

"It would seem that the ancestors of the humans were responsible for the destruction of the ancestors of the aboleths. While putting some blood from Ahka on the altar may prove illuminating, I feel that we have dwelt long enough in this location. I suggest that we relocate to the celestial bureacracy to attempt to find more answers within their archives. Do you agree?"

12. - Top - End - #342

BlackDragon

"Yes, I grow weary of this location. Although I'm not particularly looking forward to going someplace I would normally be killed on sight just because of where I was born..."

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The last time I went there, they tried reprograming me. But, looks like they have the awnsers.
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

14. - Top - End - #344

Akha just shrugged and got on Zrku's back.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

The Planetar chuckles at the Devil-Dragon's statement.

"Oh of course, they want you dead because of your birth, not the centuries of manipulation and wickedness that you have imposed on creation between then and then. Whatever you say."
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

16. - Top - End - #346

Flumph

Strange flashes of light pulses across Zkru's skin as his tentacles joins the group into a circle. Then there surrounding seems to shift and they appear in a new room.

Spoiler
    Show
    cast planar travel, 8pp

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

You all appear in an amphitheater scaled for creatures of Zrku's size and dimensions. Indeed the aboleth himself appears to be in the room twice, once with Akha on his back, and a second time behind the speaker's pavilion at the theater's center.

Behind you at the amphitheater's back are two sets of staircases, each fifty feet wide, on leading up the other down.

Speaker Zrku: I apologize but mortals do not belong within the tower. Please exit by whatever power allowed you to enter. If this is not possible merely wait and the staff will assist you.

Aeon of the sixth iteration: currently known as Matt, original truename *a sound resembling the crashing of symbols and a chorus of flutes*, current truename unknown. Please stay where you are, the staff will be here to deprogram you shortly. This may take longer than normal due to a disturbance on the upper levels.

18. - Top - End - #348

Flumph

"You dare label me mortal? The sheer effrontery. In any case our arrival seems well timed. Let us proceed to the upper levels and help cause further distractions."
    Last edited by Demonic_Spoon; 2012-05-25 at 06:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Currently, I'm with them. Also, I have a severe distaste for reprograming. It makes me even more insane then normal. So if it's the same to you.....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check; (1d20+20)[35]

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

The Planetar grumbles to herself. "Oh this will end well."

Since they already knew about them deception was pointless, so Korino decided to hope these beings were capable of compassion.

"If you separate the boy from the Aboleth both will suffer. As you might imagine I do not abide undue suffering lightly, let us discuss an appropriate alternative, shall we?"

--------
    Diplomacy: (d20+62)[78]

I have True Seeing up, is the Speaker Zkru- registering as something under that?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

21. - Top - End - #351
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Igneel View Post
    "Yes, I grow weary of this location. Although I'm not particularly looking forward to going someplace I would normally be killed on sight just because of where I was born..."
    Over the years I have become accustomed to attempts at assassination with minimal motive.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaker Zrku
    : I apologize but mortals do not belong within the tower. Please exit by whatever power allowed you to enter. If this is not possible merely wait and the staff will assist you.
    We do not require assistance from beings such as you, nor do I recognize or respect your authority. Further, I believe that you are employing an inaccurate definition of the term "mortal". I shall leave a note for the staff.

Pinky scribes a note in Celestial, beginning with a clear refusal to cooperate with anything involving the Reconstruction, followed by declaring the reader "a disgrace to all that is holy and several things that are not", including the definition of "mortal" as "capable of being killed" by which definition all inhabitants of the tower are mortal, and ending with a number of blasphemous insults, profanities, and a cryptic remark about spell preparation.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Explosive Runes. 6d6 force damage to all within 10ft when read, the reader gets no save, save DC for others is 22. DC to find or disable trap is 28.

Manifesting Conceal Thoughts on self for free, and casting Protection From Arrows (DR 10/magic ranged, 15-hour duration, max damage prevented 100). Other defenses should still be in effect.

Onward, gentle and not-so-gentle beings!

22. - Top - End - #352

"My company tend to start brawls of some sort." Akha said. Tapping on Zrku's head as if trying to physically force it in.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

The copy of Zrku appears to be slightly transparent under the effects of true seeing and there is a bright white tether between it and the real Zkru.

Speaker Zrku: Threats of violence against me will be of little use as I am but a projection designed to interact with you. Soon there will be associates to assist you. We cannot guarantee your safety if you continue unsupervised. Furthermore we are not currently asking for cooperation to the Reconstruction. We are merely working to prepare the outerplanes for the eventuality.

24. - Top - End - #354

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Korino
    "Oh of course, they want you dead because of your birth, not the centuries of manipulation and wickedness that you have imposed on creation between then and then. Whatever you say."
    "Excuse me? Are you suggesting that you know of what I have done over my life? I manipulate to reveal the truth, and wickedness is just as capable of being used by those that seek justice. But then it doesn't matter now does it?"

Quote Originally Posted by phantomreader42 View Post
    Over the years I have become accustomed to attempts at assassination with minimal motive.
    "I know a thing or two about having assassination attempts and such. But its just plain 'unfair' for those that claim to be of justice, good, and candy when they judge you by your looks."

====

Speaker Zrku: I apologize but mortals do not belong within the tower. Please exit by whatever power allowed you to enter. If this is not possible merely wait and the staff will assist you.

Speaker Zrku: Threats of violence against me will be of little use as I am but a projection designed to interact with you. Soon there will be associates to assist you. We cannot guarantee your safety if you continue unsupervised. Furthermore we are not currently asking for cooperation to the Reconstruction. We are merely working to prepare the outerplanes for the eventuality.
    "Needn't bother. I'm sure that we won't be here for long anyways. Violence tends to only come to those that wish violence upon us anyways. Besides, we seem to be capable of taking care of ourselves thus far."

Spoiler
    Show
    Not like it matters, but I have a Continuous True Seeing effect. Besides that, no real reason to roll anything really as of yet.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

"Can you prepare the planes so that it doesn't happen? It's kind of important. Please?"

Clip moves to hover above Zrku. "I don't think the associates are going to help very much!

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Clip, they will help. Themselves. And the damn whatever it is they work for. Best thing that could happen is if it burnt to the ground.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #357
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsage Matt View Post
    Clip, they will help. Themselves. And the damn whatever it is they work for. Best thing that could happen is if it burnt to the ground.
    Were I to venture a suggested method for destruction of a tower, I would recommend disintegration of the foundation coordinated with a physical attack at the apex to make use of gravity. The dimensions of this tower render such a plan infeasible.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge(Planes) check on Etemenanki (1d20+38)[50]. Assuming I have full knowledge of the description already given

Do we seek information, allies, resources, or to wreak havok?

28. - Top - End - #358

Flumph

"I believe we seek information? Allies seem unlikely, unless we release the prisoners that are said to dwell on the upper levels? And what resources could a glorified bureaucracy of celestial penpushers offer us? Destroying the tower...mmm. Beyond my current ability sadly, unless someone has someone has large disintegration or rock transmutation magic packed away somewhere I doubt we could effect the stability of the tower in a meaningful way. Let us proceed to the upper levels?"

Zkru starts moving up the stairs to the next level.
    Last edited by Demonic_Spoon; 2012-06-01 at 02:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

"If they won't listen to reason, then I say havoc all the way."

The Angel's body shudders and the glorious sheen it had is replaced with an ever increasing aura of darkness. The golden feathers fall from her wings, leaving behind great sheets of leathery skin in their place. Her flawless face contorts and extends, becoming a ravenous maw, with a look of pure violence in it's eye.

Raising his hand a blade of red flame appears in his grasp, and he looks at it with an evil grin.

"It was these beings that put me in our shared prison, and I'm feeling vengeful all of a sudden. Lead on squiddy."

-----
    Std: Morph - Balor Lord
    Move: Enchanted Item Transformation - +4 Flaming Longsword (gains Vorpal due to the Balor's Vorpal Strike ability)

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Moving up into the next level leads to a massive library. Each aisle is fifteen feet wide and has a symbol carved into the ground in front of them.

Unfortunately right at the top of the stairwell are three inevitables. One a metallic humanoid over fifteen feet tall whose legs are replaced by an orb of metal framework. He is flanked by the other two whom resemble metal angels whose wings are composed of three tubes each, arms are replaced by wicked blades, and whose heads resemble those of a battleaxe.

Orb Inevitable: As you have refused to leave we are hear to remove you by force.
    Last edited by nyarlathotep; 2012-06-05 at 01:05 AM.