New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Weirdness Ensues!

"I was born when a Positive Energy Node bleed into the Lava sea of the clockwork plane. As such, I have far less cerinity then you do about birth and death."
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by phantomreader42 View Post
    I doubt this will be enough to leave this plane. Who among us, besides me, is capable of planar travel? And where should we go?

As for my reason for being here, I consume the brains of sentient beings for sustenance. That alone is enough to make enemies, though I have little choice in the matter. Beyond that I am aware of no specific issues.
    "I am also capable of interplanar travel. I hear that the prime material plane is always a popular choice for fleeing extraplanar enemies, as outsiders cannot last long there without hosts before suffering the devil sickness."

"Now that you mention it, I have enjoyed eating sapients for pleasure upon occasion, though I'd hardly call that something to take offence over."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(eons) check on Demodands: (1d20+49)[56]
    Knowledge(eons) check on Tartarus: (1d20+49)[52]
    Knowledge(eons) check on the Judge: (1d20+49)[50]
    Spellcraft check to attempt to determine limits of magic: (1d20+44)[51]
    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.
    May have a optimization addiction.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Yes, and the Devil sickness is what I have to worry about. I'm a Aeon, The only times I was able to get in was.... I might be able to do it.... but delibratly triggering one?"

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsage Matt View Post
    "Yes, and the Devil sickness is what I have to worry about. I'm a Aeon, The only times I was able to get in was.... I might be able to do it.... but delibratly triggering one?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(planes) check on Aeons: (1d20+38)[47]

As an Aeon, what means of travel would be safe for you? If we could find a stable portal, could you use it? Or would we be forced to resort to more drastic measures? I warn you that if we use major reality-altering magic here, it may leave evidence that would make it easier for our pursuers to track us.
    Last edited by phantomreader42; 2012-04-03 at 01:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65

Flumph

"Is it possible for you to possess a creature of the material plane? If so I have many slaves available which could serve that purpose and I would be willing to loan one to you."
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.

6. - Top - End - #66

BlackDragon

"As some have already mentioned that they are capable of planar travel, so am I, along with some teleportation, albeit both are limited to a few times a day. Generally I'm alright in most places that accept tieflings at the very least, as I disguised myself as one for quite a chunk of my life."

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

-Doomraga's Revenge by T.A. Barron

Extended Homebrew Signature

7. - Top - End - #67

Flumph

"Mmm, tiefling, such a deliciously spicy taste...almost as good as gnome..."

Zkru seems to be drooling slightly as he recalls meals gone by.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I used to pocess a Helm of the Invader, Zkru, but as I remeber, Young Akha made me put it up as the wager for our chess game. And I've mostly used Portals I've made then destructed since. So, to a portal we go?

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

When you reach the cell's top and climb out of the now open hole you find a cavern much more natural looking than the geometrically smooth one you just exited. There are three tunnels one leading to the north from which a cool soothing breeze blows, and two to the south both of which produce a sinister green glow. Sounds come form both of the passages, the southeastern one a cord of beautiful harp music, and the western passage, a pitiful whimpering. In your current room however the only features are a stone seat and table.

The guard whom you recovered is most definitely alive and was recovering rapidly as long as he was on the ground, but as soon as he was picked up by the aboleth his fast healing ceased. He is wearing a silver breastplate shining through the slimy secretions of his own skin, and on his belt are a scroll which fills in the name of any new prisoner inbound to a cell in this area and a stone that casts a continual status spell on him and send the information to some other device far away.

Knowledge results
    Spoiler
    Show

Minor magic means supernatural abilities and cantrips unless the demodand is specifically giving you some of its reservoir, in which case you can cast a number of spell levels equal to its hitdice before it needs to return to a non-dead magic zone to "juice up" as it were.

As for demodands themselves they are a race of outsiders with a peculiar moral connection to their plane. While they are magically affiliated with law and becoming chaotic or neutral in that regard would require a demodand the same level of change that would make an angel fall or a fiend rise, their morality is just as free as any mortal. They have the capability for good or evil as long as it is in the service of being a jailor, though most are evil due an environment with easily abusable power.

Demodands imprison powerful beings who cannot be dealt with in a permanent fashion. They accept prisoners who have either been judged guilt by the authority of another lawful plane, such as Babel, Paradise, or Etemenanki, or those they themselves have judged guilty.

The demodand legal system is presided over by three immensely powerful unique creatures never seen outside of their vestments of office. First is the Witness a diminutive creature resembling a doll no more than two feet tall, though usually invisible. Its job is to seek out those who represent some threat to the planes, material or outer, and record their truename and sending this information back to the Judge.

The Judge is a creature easily twenty feet tall, with a dozen arms on its humanoid shape, that tapers to a serpent's tail that is equal to its height in length. The Judge is always seen clad in rusted brown armor that encases it from head to tail, and has a helm resembling the capirote worn by some mortal flagellants save that instead of eye holes it has three glowing orbs that resemble glass. The Judge's duty is to determined whether one marked by the witness is guilty and if so whether they are to be imprisoned or destroyed by the Executioner.

The Executioner is a creature resembling a twenty foot tall human being, wearing nothing more than a loincloth and a mask of strange design: being a hood drawn tight around the entire face with glass windows over its eyes and a metal fan over its mouth. Despite these openings whatever form its face takes is unknown and obscured by magical darkness. The Executioner's job is unsurprisingly to destroy those the Judge has deemed unworthy of life, and it does so with a pair of axes that can severe a creatures connection to its destined afterlife, or in the case of aberrations and outsiders who can be reborn, from their cycle of reincarnation.
    Last edited by nyarlathotep; 2012-04-03 at 02:54 PM.
    Level 3 feat: improved monster class pimping

RIP North_Ranger you will be missed

10. - Top - End - #70

Flumph

Experiment with the fast healing by putting the cage on its side allowing the Demodand to touch the ground through the cage. Cast my supernatural enslave ability on the Demodand. Attempt to use his status device as him to prevent his superiors from realizing something is amiss. Examine scroll of names.

Spoiler
    Show
    Use Magic Device Check: (1d20+45)[54]
    DC for enslave: 38
    Demodand also gets a -4 on the save for being medium size.(Overwhelming intellect)
    Last edited by Demonic_Spoon; 2012-04-03 at 03:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

"You know, I don't trust any of those tunnels. My vote is for getting out while the getting's good. How about the rest of you?"
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

12. - Top - End - #72

BlackDragon

"I don't trust these tunnels much, but then I also don't like the feeling that these prison guards and their warden could possibly hunt us down once more after escaping. Maybe if we can find where they hold their info on us, we can steal back that info and have it destroyed."

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Information is the greatest weapon of all.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

"It's true, they could. But they'd be doing out of their territory, where we wouldn't have to rely on that poor bugger's goo-deposits in order to fight back. But if the vote goes towards the suicidal battling of our captors, I'm not exactly in a position to argue. I suppose if you all start dying I can just turn into a mosquito and hope for the best."
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-04-03 at 05:08 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

15. - Top - End - #75

BlackDragon

"Then if push comes to shove we shall vacate, as its a fools errand to battle when the outcome is clearly against us."

16. - Top - End - #76

"Before we go towards the enemy maybe we should find a zone where we have access to our powers first. That way we can prepare for a battle." Akha said while spread comfortably on the back of the giant aboleth.
    Extended Hombrew Signature

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Bleddyn sighed as his fellow imprisioned flew upwards, each under their own power. He hated this. But there was only one thing for it. Dissolving his body back into the thousands upon millions of tiny sparks of dark energy it was constructed from, he soared upward in a torrent of black dust. He formed his pieces into the semblance of a body-though he did not retake his true form. "The child speaks with wisdom." The ringing of telepathy filled the minds of those present. It did not have the same eldritch madness latent in it as the Aboleth's did, nor the churning chaos of the Aeon's mental voice. Instead, it felt old. Ancient. A voice which had seen a thousand stars born, burn out, and die. Tired, empty, but not defeated. "In our current position, we are weak. Even if we escape, our captors will no doubt pursue us, and by whatever means they did so before, imprison us. I have no wish to go back in that hole. Which leaves us one option. Find how they search for us. Eliminate it. And then, either tear them all to pieces, or flee to a more protected location."
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic_Spoon View Post
    Experiment with the fast healing by putting the cage on its side allowing the Demodand to touch the ground through the cage. Cast my supernatural enslave ability on the Demodand. Attempt to use his status device as him to prevent his superiors from realizing something is amiss. Examine scroll of names.
    If you are attempting to fool the monitoring device by pretending to be our jailer, I believe there is someone here who is more qualified for that task than you.

Waves tentacles in the general direction of the shapeshifter currently in demodand form.

In any case, I suspect the attack is already recorded. How soon we can expect unwanted company depends on how often they check the records.

Takes a seat next to the cage, looking in at the prisoner, monitoring surface thoughts.

Hello. There has been some sort of error. We were unjustly imprisoned without proper procedures. You can help rectify this injustice. We do not know what attacked you, but we would like to leave here before it returns, and before your superiors cause any trouble for you or for us. Can you tell us anything useful? How closely is your status monitored? Where is the nearest zone of functional magic? Where are prisoner records kept? Are there planar portals nearby, and if so to where? Before you ask, I have eaten recently, and have no immediate need to consume your brain. There is no need for us to harm you unless you force us.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check: (1d20+27)[41]
    Intimidate check: (1d20+13)[31]
    Bluff check to conceal the fact that I'd like to eat a demodand brain before leaving, though not necessarily this one if another option presents itself (1d20+21)[30]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Korino

"It's true, they could. But they'd be doing out of their territory, where we wouldn't have to rely on that poor bugger's goo-deposits in order to fight back. But if the vote goes towards the suicidal battling of our captors, I'm not exactly in a position to argue. I suppose if you all start dying I can just turn into a mosquito and hope for the best."
    If we stay close together, we can link hands and I can shift us to another plane in approximately twelve seconds, if granted the power to do so. Thus, we have an easy escape route should we be discovered. It is only a matter of time before that happens. Information would be useful, but risky to obtain. Returning later increases the risk, but gives us a chance to prepare. At least we should see what information we can get from the guard.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If you wish, I will cause a Distraction. I have a Scepter so I may plane shift, and I can cause a, decent ruckus.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by phantomreader42 View Post
    If you are attempting to fool the monitoring device by pretending to be our jailer, I believe there is someone here who is more qualified for that task than you.

Waves tentacles in the general direction of the shapeshifter currently in demodand form.

In any case, I suspect the attack is already recorded. How soon we can expect unwanted company depends on how often they check the records.
    "Would the shapeshifting fool the device do you think? I feel it is worth a try if we can keep the knowledge of our escape secret for a while longer no?"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

"If I died right this moment I would remain a Demodand. I am one of them as far as the multiverse is concerned. The stone will accept me if it is tied to race, though obviously not if it is linked to that particular fellow. Although..."

Korino sheds the fur much of the bloat of his current form, replacing it with a layer of black ooze. He twists his form multiple times, until he is a replica of the wounded creature, minus the wounds.

"...There. That should do it."

------
    Will Morphing into the guard be sufficient, or will you require a skill check, etc. to delude the Status stone?

Off the top of my head I can Take 10 on Bluff to get [41], and Take 10 on Disguise to get [51]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just on last thing the guard was a silmy demodand, just to keep from causing confusion. You also have fast healing 15 as long as you are in contact with the ground in any demodand form.

The demodand begins rapidly healing once more as long as it remains in contact with the ground. Additionally its list contains well over one hundred names that are marked as in bound, but not imprisoned yet. All of them have a crime listed as "Danger to the Reconstruction". When he awakened your jailor responds curtly and without elaboration to the illithid's questions, as forced by his enslavement.

Slimy Demodand: Yes, they should have dispatched someone down here as soon as I was knocked out; functional magic is only in the monitoring stations and judgment halls; prisoners are kept everywhere but the southern halls lead to the closest cells; the only portal I know of it the drop off to our north, but it can only receive from other portals rather than sent people places.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

"Oh well. I could always try impersonating the poor fellow if you can keep him concealed, I'm fairly good at that."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"If needs, be, have you considered making him release he other prisoners on the list? They would cause a riot.... And we'd make like that straw hat kid from that pirate world."

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Korino

"Oh well. I could always try impersonating the poor fellow if you can keep him concealed, I'm fairly good at that."
    Unless someone is capable of simultaneously impersonating the large hunk of stone missing from our cell, I doubt that would suffice for long.

To the prisoner: What is the Reconstruction?

Pinky's eyes dart around, turning, scanning, looking for pursuers in all directions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check (1d20+20)[36]

It sounds like any available magic zone will be occupied and perhaps guarded, and that we are likely to be discovered soon. We have limited use of magic, and the portal is incoming only. Unless someone has a brilliant strategy to take on the operators of this prison without full access to our power, now may be the time to leave and regroup.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

"I could, but sadly I can't be in two places at once. Except as a Dvati, but I suppose that wouldn't do us any real good at the moment. And yes, I'm still all for fleeing like the escaped convicts we are, I never much fancied going up against the jailers on their own turf."
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-04-04 at 03:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"If needs, be, have you considered making him release he other prisoners on the list? They would cause a riot.... And we'd make like that straw hat kid from that pirate world."
    I am beginning to suspect that you have extensive experience and talent in the causing of wanton destruction and chaos. At this time I am uncertain whether or not that is a compliment.

29. - Top - End - #89

BlackDragon

"Dare I ask what you mean by 'pirate world'?" In any case I'm interested in this Reconstruction business...

Looking to their prisoner by lowering his head to be eye level. Letting his molten gold eyes stare at the prisoner.

"Listen, I know that your not a bad guy, just doing your job and all right? So I won't hold that against you. I don't know how I got on your list, but I do know that I want to be out of here without making trouble for you and coworkers. Having more people after me just isn't fun. So how about we make a deal? If you help us find one of these 'monitoring' stations or whatnot, I'll see if I can get my comrades to let you go before we leave. Really its probably for the best if you help us, as I don't want to point talons here, but some of my comrades look hungry. How about it, will you help us?"

Spoiler
    Show

Using Rhetorical Flourish feat
    Bluff check (try convince him that I will help him out of the cage in exchange for assistance): (1d20+33)[41]
    --If Bluff succeeds--
    Diplomacy check (asking for assistance [including +4 modifier from Rhetorical Flourish]): (1d20+37)[38]

--If Bluff Fails--
    Diplomacy check (asking for assistance [including -2 modifier from Rhetorical Flourish]): (1d20+31)[32]

Might as well roll to see if I can improve his attitude towards me at least...
    Diplomacy check: (1d20+33)[35]

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"We know that the enmey has our truenames. They also have theirs. If they are compareable in power to us, we would forge a temporary alliance of convince. We all want to escape, and if we gather enough forces, we should be able to take them down. And I havn't had any experince with this sort of thing. To be honest, I watch to much of my Crystal Ball."

Spoiler
    Show