New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Spontaneous Healer

Okay some quick backstory.

My players do not often play divine spellcasters, very rarely do we have a diviner in the party, so often when I want to include a DMPC or a plot critical NPC I make them a Healer from the miniature's handbook. The healer is useful to have around, but unlike the cleric is not so powerful that it risks overshadowing the PC's.

However, the busywork of managing a spell caster (Which I'm not good at to begin with) in addition to Dming creates some extra busywork I'm not entirely fond of.

So here is my question.

How much would it increase the Healer's power level if the healer was a spontaneous caster like the Dread Necromancer instead of a caster that has to prepare spells?

My reasoning is this change would enable me to not have to keep track of so much paperwork, and it would give a mechanical reason for why she always seems to have the right spell prepared like the anti-poison spells before we face the giant spiders.

Just looking for a second opinion before I make the change. Being a munchkin I've quickly learned not to trust my own opinions too quickly as I have a tendency to power game.

Thank you for all your aid!
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-04-02 at 05:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Spontaneous Healer

Look up the Favoured Soul class. It's a spontaneous divine caster that's probably along the lines of what you want.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

There's a feat for spontaneous healing in Complete Divine. That could cut down on most of the paperwork, since most post-combat healing tends to be of the Cure [X] Wounds variety.

Played a fun archivist who spontaneously cured, inflicted and summon nature's allyed thanks to those three feats
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    And don't forget that a lack of skills needn't be a problem - in a pinch, BAB can substitute for a lot of skills! Diplomacy ("If you be friend, me no stab in face"), Hide ("If you no see, me no stab in face"), Move Silently ("If you no hear, me no stab in face"), Open Lock ("Me stab lock in face with adamantine dagger"), Heal ("Me stab you in face until you no dying anymore"), Climb ("Me stab rock face"), and so on!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, changing the Healer to be like a Warmage (spontaneous casting, knows all spells) would be a good boost to its power level.

But as its power level is so horrible, it'd be a good fix.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Honestly, changing the Healer to be like a Warmage (spontaneous casting, knows all spells) would be a good boost to its power level.

But as its power level is so horrible, it'd be a good fix.
    So it won't completely make her overpowered if I let the healer do that then? Thanks for answering my question.

I guess I will do it. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!

Edit: Also one more thing... TITAN in the playground? How bloody long have you been posting here!?
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-04-02 at 07:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Most players already think that the Healer works that way-- It's a pretty logical conclusion from showing up in the same book as the Warmage and having such a ridiculously short and one-dimensional class spell list. It obviously makes them suck less, but they still suck. Of course, "suck" is a feature, not a bug, for your purposes, so go right ahead and make that change.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    So it won't completely make her overpowered if I let the healer do that then? Thanks for answering my question.

I guess I will do it. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!
    I've played a Healer. We used spontaneous casting. It was fine. The spell list is so homogenous, there's really very little that could go wrong.

Also, I'm currently playing an Evangelist (DM #311). They're based on clerics, but have Sorcerer spells-per-day and add Domains to their Spells Known. You lose out on Turning just like the Healer and Favoured Soul, but you get Spontaneous casting off a large number of spells based on what Domains you choose. It's almost a "build your own specialized Caster"; an Evangelist of Pelor is going to have a radically different spell list than an Evangelist of Boccob, or Kord, or Nerull. And I kind of like that.
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2012-04-02 at 07:18 PM.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

There's also a Spontaneous Divine Caster variant. Basically, it's a cleric who spontaneously casts from a spell list rather than prepares. He automatically knows his domain spells, plus a few others.

Combo this with, for example, Sovereign Speaker, who nets a new domain every level...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    There's also a Spontaneous Divine Caster variant. Basically, it's a cleric who spontaneously casts from a spell list rather than prepares. He automatically knows his domain spells, plus a few others.

Combo this with, for example, Sovereign Speaker, who nets a new domain every level...
    Sovereign Speaker? Color me interested...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Spontaneous casting will make low-op Healers better, but at mid-op and above, that costs them the best method they have of expanding their horizons—namely, sanctified spells, which are available to all prepped casters (and generally not to spontaneous casters without a lot of hoop-jumping). Throw in a rule that says they can also spontaneously cast sanctified spells (like Clerics already can) and you've got a deal.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Spontaneous casting will make low-op Healers better, but at mid-op and above, that costs them the best method they have of expanding their horizons—namely, sanctified spells, which are available to all prepped casters (and generally not to spontaneous casters without a lot of hoop-jumping). Throw in a rule that says they can also spontaneously cast sanctified spells (like Clerics already can) and you've got a deal.
    Well to be fair, it wouldn't make much sense for most of my healers to be casting sanctified spells. 90% of them end up betraying the party or turning evil. (I'm not kidding I once had a level 20 Healer with a green ancient dragon as a final boss).

I'll consider it. Thank you for your suggestion.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Sovereign Speaker? Color me interested...
    Sovereign Speaker is in Faiths of Eberron. Also combos nicely with Divine Crusader from Complete Divine.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gorfnab View Post
    Sovereign Speaker is in Faiths of Eberron. Also combos nicely with Divine Crusader from Complete Divine.
    I'm looking at it, and it's tempting. I've already stated out the Demon King's first form, but this combo would give her a ton of domain spells that I can easily fluff as her Demonic powers rather than any sort of "Divine" ability.

Then again I suppose she's never going to reach level 20 in healer. The main thing I'm worried is I'm kinda stuck in a hard place. I want the NPC to be powerful enough to be a threat of TPK if she becomes the Demon Queen (Yes the Healer in my latest campaign is also potentially the final boss), but at the same time I don't want her overshadowing the PC's when she's not corrupted.

So I want her to be both powerful, and weak. Kinda a weird paradox eh?
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-04-03 at 12:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Well to be fair, it wouldn't make much sense for most of my healers to be casting sanctified spells. 90% of them end up betraying the party or turning evil. (I'm not kidding I once had a level 20 Healer with a green ancient dragon as a final boss).

I'll consider it. Thank you for your suggestion.
    Well, RAW, Healers have to be capital-G Good, so by-the-book Healers can all use sanctified spells. I'm all for relaxing 95% of the alignment restrictions out there, but I generally assume RAW unless stated otherwise, so there's that.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Edit: Also one more thing... TITAN in the playground? How bloody long have you been posting here!?
    Since 2004. And that's all I'll say on the matter.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

ehm, so the healer hmmm...

Well, my solution would be let him have a bard. They have access to healing spells, cast spontaneously, can do other things besides healing, and with sublime chord can do a lot more, like party face, buffer, skillmonkey, etc...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    ehm, so the healer hmmm...

Well, my solution would be let him have a bard. They have access to healing spells, cast spontaneously, can do other things besides healing, and with sublime chord can do a lot more, like party face, buffer, skillmonkey, etc...
    Also a good idea! You all have such good suggestions! Thank you for your aid everyone!

One thing you got to love about the playground. You'll ask them to show you how to forge you a butter knife and they'll show you how to forge a katana...and a longsword...and a greathammer...and a giant fork that can instantly slay any food-based enemies, even though it's nothing close to the original topic.

People sure are helpful! :D (no I'm not being sarcastic I really do appreciate all the help)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Warmage X/10 Rainbow Servant.

Solved. :D Never to worry anymore about what spell preparing, each and every cleric spell is there for you to cast spontaneously.

(You can use also Dread Necromancer or the Beguiler instead of the Warmage.)

If such power gaming is not allowed (or the required level is too high) ... what about a Shugenja? I think a Order of the Ineffable Mystery Earth Shugenja can do well.
    Last edited by etrpgb; 2012-04-03 at 04:41 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by watchwood View Post
    Look up the Favoured Soul class. It's a spontaneous divine caster that's probably along the lines of what you want.
    Ditto, while Favoured souls and Sorcerers aren't (for the most part) as powerful as thier Wizard/Cleric counterparts they are so much nicer to use for NPC's that go along with a party, partly because they are quicker to build, partly because they tend not to overshadow the PC's which makes them cranky, and partly for easy record keeping and as a DM you've got to keep track of a butt load of stuff already.

Also I'm sure there is a feat somewhere that lets you cast healing spells like a cleric does.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting Fool View Post
    Also I'm sure there is a feat somewhere that lets you cast healing spells like a cleric does.
    Spontaneous Healer, Complete Divine. Requires 4 ranks in Knowledge (Religion) and any nonevil alignment.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Also a good idea! You all have such good suggestions! Thank you for your aid everyone!

One thing you got to love about the playground. You'll ask them to show you how to forge you a butter knife and they'll show you how to forge a katana...and a longsword...and a greathammer...and a giant fork that can instantly slay any food-based enemies, even though it's nothing close to the original topic.

People sure are helpful! :D (no I'm not being sarcastic I really do appreciate all the help)
    If you are going the bard route, don't forget the Healing Hymn ACF from Complete divine...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

I am a big fan of Shugenja, especially if you can get your hands on the d20 Rokugan campaign setting, which has a more extensive spell list for shugenja.

As for the Healer class, I have enjoied it a lot personally. Yea, its just about worthless at everything but healing, and is realy squishy, but it is kinda fun.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

weird paradox eh?
    What if she's powerful, but is laying low with the party until she unlocks her demon-queen potential? Maybe she doesn't want her enemies (potentially the party?) realizing her strength, so she sticks to healing. If she's high-level, BeguilerX/Rainbow Servant 10 casts all Cleric and Beguiler spells spontaneously.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Spamalot in the Playground

The problem with making Healer spontaneous is that you kill its biggest advantage - Sanctified Magic. So I would rule in a way for them to keep those.

EDIT: Wait, is your player trying to do an evil healer? Because Hedge Witch, Life Oracle, and Chirurgeon Alchemist can all fill that role.

(And Soulthief Vitalist, if you don't mind psionics.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-04-03 at 02:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    What if she's powerful, but is laying low with the party until she unlocks her demon-queen potential? Maybe she doesn't want her enemies (potentially the party?) realizing her strength, so she sticks to healing. If she's high-level, BeguilerX/Rainbow Servant 10 casts all Cleric and Beguiler spells spontaneously.
    Well it's more that she doesn't WANT to become the Demon Queen. It's just more if she DOES aka the party REALLY screws up and lets her become it, she's going to turn on them (as becoming the demon queen is like taint and corrupts your mind).

It's hard to explain, check the earlier thread "Demon King (special monster)" for a better explanation.

Of course all these ideas will be used later at some point, even outside the Demon King campaign. I love playing clerics and other divine spellcasters, so these ideas are awesome! Hooray for munchkin! lol

I'll analyze all your ideas and do what one seems to be the best idea. After all your ideas my original idea seems rather tame in comparison!

Rainbow servant...why do I imagine them in that "rainbow batman" costume from that one silver age story? Do they actually dress like that? *runs to check it out*

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The problem with making Healer spontaneous is that you kill its biggest advantage - Sanctified Magic. So I would rule in a way for them to keep those.

EDIT: Wait, is your player trying to do an evil healer? Because Hedge Witch, Life Oracle, and Chirurgeon Alchemist can all fill that role.

(And Soulthief Vitalist, if you don't mind psionics.)
    It's not that she's an EVIL healer. It's that she's inflicted with a curse that will slowly turn her into a Demon that is capable of commanding the entire abyss and if she falls to total evil she'll conquer the multiverse. The whole campaign revolves around trying to "cure" her, because since she's the PC's childhood friend they can't just bring themselves to kill her.

So she starts out good, but if she gets stressed, hurt, or is tainted via other sources (like sleeping in an unholy temple), she slowly gets corrupted, while other people would just be creeped out.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-04-03 at 02:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Beholder

A bit more about the Evangelist/Sovereign Speaker thing:

I have one of those in my current (3rd level atm) Eberron campaign...or more accurately, someone building towards it.

Evangelist (Dragon 311) is a spontanious cleric variant with a very limited number of spells known they can choose, and (initially) 2 domains they can select, and count the domain lists as spells known.

Every 5th level, they get an additional domain.

Sovereign Speaker is a prestige class from Eberron with fairly easy entry requirements. The fluff is a cleric who worships the whole of the 9-member Sovereign Host pantheon equally. The class is a 9-level PrC with 7/9 casting progression...that gets a bonus domain every level.

Smash it together, and an Evangelist 5/Sovereign Speaker 9 has a total of 12 domains, all according domain powers, and the ability to spontaniously cast from all 12 domain lists and a handful of other chosen spells (with a number of spell slots available equal to that of a 12th level Sorc).

For extra fun, the player who's doing this has also studied over the Dragon Magazine articles for Sinful and Saintly domains (Dragon 323 and 355), both of which conveniently include references to which Eberron deities they apply to.
    Whadda ya mean, Orcs got levels too?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andorax View Post
    A bit more about the Evangelist/Sovereign Speaker thing:

I have one of those in my current (3rd level atm) Eberron campaign...or more accurately, someone building towards it.

Evangelist (Dragon 311) is a spontanious cleric variant with a very limited number of spells known they can choose, and (initially) 2 domains they can select, and count the domain lists as spells known.

Every 5th level, they get an additional domain.

Sovereign Speaker is a prestige class from Eberron with fairly easy entry requirements. The fluff is a cleric who worships the whole of the 9-member Sovereign Host pantheon equally. The class is a 9-level PrC with 7/9 casting progression...that gets a bonus domain every level.

Smash it together, and an Evangelist 5/Sovereign Speaker 9 has a total of 12 domains, all according domain powers, and the ability to spontaniously cast from all 12 domain lists and a handful of other chosen spells (with a number of spell slots available equal to that of a 12th level Sorc).

For extra fun, the player who's doing this has also studied over the Dragon Magazine articles for Sinful and Saintly domains (Dragon 323 and 355), both of which conveniently include references to which Eberron deities they apply to.
    You really need pantheon rules to be in play before it becomes useful, though. And Evangelist by itself is fine. Honestly, I think they do a better job than Cleric as a priestly class, since deity choice, and hence domains available, are going to massively change your gameplay experience. The only problem is they start pretty slow; I'd give an extra domain at lvl 1 or 3.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

To make sure he realistically always has the right remove X spell for the fight, give him 100 scrolls. Especially for level 1-2 spells, less of the level 2-3 spells due to cost. But they're cheap enough that it's reasonable to carry a ton and be ready for everything.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-04-04 at 10:41 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

29. - Top - End - #29

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    You really need pantheon rules to be in play before it becomes useful, though. And Evangelist by itself is fine. Honestly, I think they do a better job than Cleric as a priestly class, since deity choice, and hence domains available, are going to massively change your gameplay experience. The only problem is they start pretty slow; I'd give an extra domain at lvl 1 or 3.
    It's quite usable without pantheon rules if you get ahold of some of the other alternate sources (such as the aforementioned Deadly and Saintly Domain articles)...and if you go the Sovereign Speaker route (normal Evangelists only wind up with 6 domains at 20th), you're automatically doing the pantheon thing...you have to be.

Honestly, I do like the class even just as-is, for much the same reason. They really do make choice of deity significant in a way that the Cleric class comes up short with. Kinda reminds me of the old 2E Specialty Priest rules.

And Ericgrau, I regularly encourage clerics to take Scribe Scroll for that same reason.
    Last edited by Andorax; 2012-04-04 at 11:31 PM.
    Whadda ya mean, Orcs got levels too?