New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Best Magic Items

Belt of battle. But second to that would be boots of speed. Extra attack, stackable +1 to hit and +1 AC for longer than most people ever need. For many the boots are better before the belt of battle since they're multiple times per day.

A close 3rd is staffs, which are greatly underrated. My caster has extra full blown spells. Nothing can top that for him. My non-caster with a 1 level caster dip or use magic device has full power high level spells. And I've never actually had one run out of charges. I think that's what scares people, but 50 charges is eons.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-04-03 at 10:19 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I may be alone in this. And it may break games, or make PCs cry.

Deck of Many Things.

<3 forever!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

How has the anklet of translocation not come up yet? It's the first item any character of mine (outside of ones with Abrupt Jaunt) will buy, and they'll keep it for a long, long time. Swift action teleport on an item you can afford so early? Yes, please.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Male

It's a tad bit on the expensive side (though crafting can make it affordable by level 7 if you do it right), but a psychoactive skin of proteus is insane for how much versatility it can give to a character, and the power of low-HD form on a high-HD chassis is not to be underestimated.

It's not breakable like the thought bottle is, but I'd have to say it's the most powerful non-broken item in the entire game, though that's purely subjective, really.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2012-04-03 at 07:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Collar of Healing if your DM isn't too strict. I know it only works for mounts/familiars/animal companions...but...maybe if your DM has a sense of humor, he will let it slide because you can be a little d**k and declare your dumb fighter as your mount because he has the int score of a mount. He gets 50pt heal for 5000gp and you get to yell "YAH! Horsie go!"
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Leaving aside cheese, Boccab's Blessed Book is hard to beat for pure value. 1,000 pages of free spell scribing at a hundred gold a page comes out to 100,000 gold worth of spellbook space in a single tome, for the low, low price of 12,000 gold.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Hand of the Mage. Yeah, it's a cantrip, but the price is still only half what the custom guidelines would make it, and Mage Hand is one of the more useful cantrips.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Dust of Sneezing and Choking has to be up there. CON damage on a failed save, Stunned for 5d4 rounds whether or not you save. It's the original "You lose, no save" item. For 2400gp. I don't think it can really be termed "cheese" since it functions exactly as intended, with no need for optimization or ridiculous combinations. ("Unbalanced," "Probably forgot a zero in the price," and "likely to end up on most DMs' ban list," absolutely).

Other than that? Belt of Battle is wonderful, as others have said. Wands of Lesser Vigor deserve a mention (just for being more efficient than most other out-of-combat healing). I've always been partial to Hats of Disguise, in low level games.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    It's a tad bit on the expensive side (though crafting can make it affordable by level 7 if you do it right), but a psychoactive skin of proteus is insane for how much versatility it can give to a character, and the power of low-HD form on a high-HD chassis is not to be underestimated.

It's not breakable like the thought bottle is, but I'd have to say it's the most powerful non-broken item in the entire game, though that's purely subjective, really.
    I'll second this one, skin of the proteus is awesome.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caedes View Post
    I may be alone in this. And it may break games, or make PCs cry.

Deck of Many Things.

<3 forever!
    I even made a lesser version of this for lower levels... cracked me and laughs where had all round... though it was due to the huge amount of bad luck in a row
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

While I will give a +1 to belt of battle, anklet of translocation, and the haversack (which is written on pretty much every character sheet i've ever made as "HHH"), there is one item that you've all missed.

Quall's. Feather. Token. Tree.

Seriously, 400 gold for instant ENORMOUS tree, wherever you want. Baddies chasing you through a dungeon? Tree! Need some cover from archers? Tree! Have to scale a flat iron wall? Tree! Purple worm have you in its jaws, sure to swallow you the next turn? Tree! Need to sabotage a boat? Tree in the rigging! A dragon that makes strafing runs getting you down? Readied action tree!

There is obviously a LOT of DM discretion as to how exactly you can use it, since the entry provides almost no activation details, and what effect "suddenly, a tree" really has is left as an exercise for the reader, but the uses are endless!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    Heward's Handy Haversack for both.
    this,
    it completes the invalidation of Fighters.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, excluding campaing-smashers (tought bottle, candle of invocation and the like) for both roles i'ts a toss-up between the already mentioned Belt of Battle and the Ring of Spelbattle.
    Seriously, i cannot believe noone mentioned that ring, in mid-high level play i always have at least two of those.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Where is Belt of Battle from?
    Welcome to the Internet where opinions are facts and sources don't matter!
    I GOT A 4

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aurenthal View Post
    Where is Belt of Battle from?
    The Magic Item Compendium.