New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Banned

Goblin

Default Re: 3.5 Monk Campaign: A Boot to the Head (IC)

"Be careful, we don't know who they are and what they want or who they are." Vir-Sashi says, trying to recognize as much as he can from this distance.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check (1d20+8)[10]

"I suggest we hide and let them walk by."

2. - Top - End - #572
    Colossus in the Playground

Coanacoch, as soon as he can, will ask to see the headmaster. I'm sure, with him returning without any of his brethren, that should not be an issue.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

"Breathe," she whispers to Sneak from across the game trail. "If you don't breathe, you die. Ready yourself."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

Li chuckles, Hide from trained hunters...yeah. I get a feeling, they won't miss us too easily, especially if they have dogs. These delays are getting on my nerves. Despite his protests Li still moves off the road to hide.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+12)[29]
    Move Silently (1d20+12)[18]

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm all for hiding." Tilmek says. One of the tenants of the passive way was avoiding conflict when possible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hide (1d20+2)[4]
    Move silently (1d20+2)[18]
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

6. - Top - End - #576
    Banned

Goblin

Vir-Sashi decides to climb the three and hide in it's upper branches

Spoiler
    Show

climb (1d20+3)[6]
    hide (1d20+7)[26]
    move silently (1d20+7)[26]

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Fortunately, the hunters seem content with their celebratory march toward home. But the increased early spring traffic reminds each of you that this area, especially without the regular presence of human traffic, will soon become a den of monstrous humanoids. If the hunts are on, breeding season will soon begin.

You continue on for an hour and finally can see Coanacoch walking alone in the horizon. He is barely within earshot, but you can already tell that he has had a rough time of it.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hey that's Coanacoch! HEY!" Tilmek shouts trying to get the other monks attention.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Banned

Goblin

It's really him! But why does he looks like somebody had beaten him up?"

10. - Top - End - #580

Coanacoch turns around when he hears the voices. "What? I haven't been beaten up. Roughed up and captured by gnolls and escaped, maybe. A few bruises, sure.

"I was able to slip out of my shackles, but I couldn't help my sister. We were captured by bandits, who then fought gnolls. Necahual demanded - I'm guessing because she figured that the goblins were goners - that I try to find my way to the temple to warn them immediately of what has happened."
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #581
    Banned

Goblin

"Necahual was captured? That's terrible, we have to help her! Which way they went? Li, can you track them?" Vir-Sashi is visibly shocked by the news and immiediately wants to rush to ave their friend.

12. - Top - End - #582

Coanacoch says, "Actually, I really don't know. A faerie creature pointed me in this direction to go back to the Temple. They have to know what's going on, and that was my last direction from her, so that is what I'm going to do. However, it only takes one of me to get that message along .... so helping her out would be appreciated."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #583
    Banned

Goblin

"I know ytou're worried about your sister, but we can't help her if we don't know where they have taken her." Vir-Sashi says, putting his clawed hand on Coanacoch's arm in gesture of empathy. "We can't afford being reckless in this case. Unless Li can track the gnolls, we should head back to the Abbey and get help. We have to hope your big sister can take care of herself until then."

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

"Splitting up again so soon, seems like a bad idea. I say wer all go to the temple together. I'm sure the masters will be able to help us." Tilmek says.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

You finish the trip back to the monastery uneventfully. Upon returning, you see the lord of Durgeddenvale leaving with his entourage, and the elite of the monastery bowing farewell.

In the meantime, the rest of the monastery is going about its daily business. Most monks are laboring or training. You can report to Master Caramip, or see the temple's bookkeeper to turn in from your quest, or explore the monastery.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

16. - Top - End - #586
    Banned

Goblin

"Let's go to master Carami and report everything at once." Says Vir-Sashi and ask nearest monk where can they find said master.

17. - Top - End - #587

As soon as Coanacoch sees the Lord of Durgeddenvale leaving, he quickly says to the others, "Let Master Caramip know what you do know, but I have to let the Lord know what I've seen, and that he may even be walking into a trap if he doesn't vary his route."

Coanaococh then goes racing up to the entourage, and begs of his sergeant-at-arms to speak to the Lord on a matter of life, death, and destruction of the town.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The headmasters of the temple look up from their bows with a look of shock as Coanacoch comes charging up to the entourage. As you get close enough to the entourage, you see their spears are now pointed directly at you and two of the guards turn to you to block your path.

"BACK, knave!" One of the two guards says as he steps forward, putting a hand to his sword. "Who is this mewling little brat?" He barks at the headmasters. "One of yours?"

"Wait!" Headmaster Yama pleads. "He is one of our students. Stand down, Novice Coanacoch." He states calmly and practiced decorum. In spite of the urgent information you are trying to cram in the limited amount of time anyone cares to listen to you, it seems that the royal guard have no interest in listening to the words of a peasant. "Headmaster. Perhaps you should teach this one some manners," the guard says as he relaxes his stance.

The headmaster bows again apologetically, "He is young and passionate. Please accept my apologies on his behalf." Without another word, the guard turns on his heels and the entourage takes off.

Master Yama, ever patient, never takes his eye off the entourage as they roll away. "Bow, Novice Caramip," he advises gently as he continues to bow at their departure. "We can discuss your concerns when Lord Scott has left."

The rest of the group discovers that Master Caramip has recently returned from a mission of her own and will meet you in the courtyard soon.

Common Knowledge about Master Yama:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Master Yama was born in the temple. He has lived a quiet but joyful life amongst his peers at the monastery for serving as a loyal servant, honorable warrior, nurturing instructor, and now beloved role model. Preferring a more peaceful approach in his life and skill development, he is more often seen with a book in his hand than a weapon. His technique is flowing and evasive (with wide sweeps of the arms while maintaining a low crouch) designed to disarm and deter, rather than injure, and in spite of his withered appearance, he moves with a near celestial grace. He is best noted as a master of the elite technique "Tongue of the Sun and Moon" and therefore often serves as a delegate or moderator for the monastery and is trusted enough to serve as the voice for Grandmaster Balderk when he isn't present.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

19. - Top - End - #589

The following must happen before the entire entourage is gone ...

"Yes, Master Yama," says Coanoch loudly enough for the Lord to hear but bowing. "I shall not bother the local lord with reports of an entire town massacred, a roving band of ogres, bandits, gnolls, and reports of a powerful wizard ruling humanoids with a magical thumb.

"I gladly face this loss of this one life I have, if it means the lord takes action now to save others."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-08-26 at 12:31 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek places his hand on Coanoch's shoulder and squeezes it. He gives Coanoch a warning look.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The carriage rolls to a stop, and the guard approaches the door where you can see him conferring with the person inside. He snaps to a bow and marches toward to Coanacoch and Master Yama.

You can see sadness and regret in Master Yama's eyes. "Coanacoch," he whispers, "bow politely and say nothing more if you care anything for the Flame Hand. I beg you."

When the guard closes in, he never takes his eyes off Master Yama, but you get the impression that he's really looking at you. "Is this true? Have the territories east of Azer's Flame fallen to the dominion of fustilarians and monstrous rabble?"

The guard flashes a glance at Coanacoch and the corners of his mouth twitch a bit. "Lord Scott will take this into consideration. Thank you, young man. This has been most revealing. Lord Scott will send you the appropriate assistance to help contain this disaster after he has consulted with his military advisors." He takes a few steps back without taking his eyes off Master Yama, then turns about and returns to the carriage, which continues its course back to Durgeddinvale.

Master Yama maintains his bow until the last of the guards are no longer looking in his direction. Then he stands, which a troubled look on his withered face, which looks so unusual on a face most accustomed to smiles.

Roll Sense Motive, please.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Young Coanacoch," Master Yama states after a long silence, "you should have obeyed me... it would appear that you have much to tell, however. Go now to your sensei and report. Then all of you Grandmaster Balderk and me in his office with all haste."

With that, Master Yama bows. His smile has returned, but his eyes still look pained and saddened. He and the Stavraphore head back inside the temple.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek sighs. "That was reckless. Patience could have served a similar purpose. I doubt that any help they send us will do any good, and now they have noticed us." He closes his eyes as he quotes his former teacher of the passive way. "Be still like the snake, so that when the opportunity appears you may strike unseen."

24. - Top - End - #594

Coanoch, a snake stylist, gives Tilmek a funny look but wordlessly goes to report to his sensei, but not before a bow to Master Yama.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #595
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Master Caramip comes walking in to the courtyard, with her hair damp from being freshly bathed, as you arrive she appears to be favoring her left leg a bit, but this does nothing to dampen her spirits at the site of her students again.

"You're back sooner than I expected. It's great to see you though! How'd your first mission go?" Her eyes sparkle with excitement, and she seems almost ready to pounce on you all with a celebratory hug.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

26. - Top - End - #596

Coanoch instantly drops to whatever "shame" posture that is relevant to her/ this monastery.

He says, "Just now, I went against Master Yama's orders and was sent here to report to you."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Master Caramip tilts her head a little and clucks her tongue in a way that can be interpreted as sympathetic, or chiding. "You were always such a well behaved student, Coanacoch. Li's been rubbing off on you, I suppose. Still, Master Yama is a great man. Most other masters would've sent you to me with a black eye and a mining assignment. Well..." she says as she puts her clawed hand on her hip. "report. What happened on your mission? I assume negotiations at Cliffside went well if you're back already. After what I've been through, I could use some good news. Tell me all about it."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek steps forward slowly, staring at his sandaled feet. "I'm sorry Master but....Cliffside is no more. It was destroyed and its people butchered by an unknown magic user and his army."

29. - Top - End - #599

Coanoch gives his account (which will be a little different from the others') of his trials and travails.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upload now .... not going through and actually typing out an entire conversation.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Master Caramip listens to your reports respectively, measuring every word.

"So, let me get this straight. You got to the village and everything was destroyed. So you decided to investigate; everyone nearly got themselves killed but you managed capture two goblins, who escaped in a bandit raid, wherein Coanacoch left Necahual behind, presumably to die, got lost in the woods, was rescued by a fairy, made it back to the main road where you met the group and finished the last leg of your journey together... What happened to your carrier pigeon in all of this? Did none of you think to send a message to the Azer's Flame?"

She pauses for a moment, tapping her feet in irritation. "The destruction of an entire village is not an opportunity for play time. It is a grave matter which requires the attention of experienced and high ranking monks. You have no idea what's been going on in Abbor-Alz, right now. The events that transpired in Cliffside could very well be the first open act of war. You weren't qualified to investigate that site."

She begins walking toward the office of Grandmaster Brottor. "This whole region, from Pontyrel to the borders of the Bright Desert, is virtually tremoring with activity. The monsters are getting out of control and the people are getting angry. They crave retribution and demand a war." She stops walking before they get to the door of the Grandmaster's office. "The problem is... we don't know who our enemy is. It is my sincerest hope that you left at least some of the evidence in Cliffside untainted, or else everyone in that village died for naught." She sighs and looks upward with a melancholic look on her face. "I'm sorry to speak so harshly. But you have think things through from now on. From this point on, you are no longer Novices. I had hoped to give you this news under more pleasant circumstances. You are Rassaphores now, and as such, are afforded the privileges and responsibilities of a Rassaphore. The ceremony will have to wait, but from this point on, remember that a Rassaphore is a leader. And as such, you will be responsible for more than just cleaning, mining, and performing rituals. You will serve the monastery in missions as representatives of the monastery from hereon out. It is your duty to act on behalf of what is best for your comrades and for the Flame."

"Be advised, no one sits in the Headmaster's chamber." With that, she opens the door.

You see Brottor standing in his office- more of a cube, really. The only furniture in the room is a podium with several smaller shelves on it and a small mat in the corner of the room. There is a door at one end of the "office" that presumably leads to his private chambers. Brottor "Ironhead" Balderk is a mean looking dwarf, with an unblinking stare that seems to pull shame out of even the proudest man. His head is clean shaven (even the eyebrows), except for his thick, salt-and-pepper beard, which is braided and beaded to look much like a Cat of Nine Tails. His muscles are enormous, and criss-crossed with bulging veins, which his thin robes do little to cover. It is strange to think that in his youth he was known as the "Laughing Monk" since his face seems to have been carved into the shape of a frown. He now stands in stark contrast to the comparatively tall, serene old monk standing next to him: Master Yama, who even when not smiling appears to be utterly at peace with the world.

"Come in, Sister Caramip. I trust you have been briefed on the details of your students' mission?" Invites Master Yama

Master Caramip bows deeply, "Yes Master."

Grandmaster Brottor looks to each of Caramip's students, but his face is as stiff and stern as if it were etched in stone, giving no hint of joy or anger, praise or disdain. "And these must be the Novice graduates who were sent to Cliffside. Master Yama told me what your student named Coanacoch did. Your students seem to share your disdain for tact and restraint. This time, it is at great cost to us."

Master Caramip drops to a lower bow, accepting her scolding quietly.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-08-31 at 12:10 AM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry