New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Monk Campaign: A Boot to the Head (IC)

Knowing that his sister was stripped of her goods as well, and that more than just the talky-fey - but all their kin present - would want shiny things, Coanoch just takes the basic allotment of equipment. He doesn't buy anything magical.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek slips the anklet on and places the charm around his neck. As he is attaching the jug of sand to his belt he says, "Thats quite the armory your assmbling brother Li. I appreciate your concern for defense, but if we walk in bristling with cold iron then it might complicate our negotiations....." towards the end of his sentance his eyes drop to the floor and he shuffles his feet uncomfortably. "Not that I'm saying you should change it, what you carry is your buisness of course...."
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

Li takes his order and then remembers hearing the provisions for the mission and smirks.
    For my magical weapon I will requisition an Amulet of Natural Attacks +1. For my magic Item, I will requisition a Handy Haversack.For my consumables A potion of Flight and a potion of Enlarge person.

Once he is finished ordering Li turns to Tilmek.
    I am arming myself to deal with them when they bare their true nature. These scars are from Fey I have dealt with in the past, they were clients of our humble temple at that. I will not allow myself or you to suffer as I have at their hands. I urge each of you to atleast carry a single dagger made of cold iron. Our fists will be useless against their flesh. Should things turn ugly, I tell you now, I will kill any of them who attack us. Their kind has bled mercy from me until not a drop is left.
    Last edited by Azoth; 2012-09-15 at 07:13 PM.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek shrugs a little. "I'm no good with a knife. If I'm not cutting my food with one, then I'll just make a mess. I can't work one properly, but if you want me to ill take one." he nods to Godwin. He turns to Ur-Agal and says, "I'm ready to leave whenever anyone else is."

5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ur-Agal nods and gestures east. "Very well."

He is silent for much of the trip, talking only when he recommends a break. (He can tell that you guys are still a bit knackered from your forced march). During one of these breaks where he is refreshing is water skin, he says his first words since you left the monastery.

"We will reach the entry point tomorrow morning. We'll camp outside the entry point when we stop for the night. Before we get there, we will need a defensive plan in case all goes wrong, as well as a diplomatic strategy if everything goes right... Coanacoch. Please tell me about what you experienced with the fey."
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-09-17 at 12:08 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

6. - Top - End - #636
    Banned

Goblin

"As for defensive strategy, I would suggest you all to run. These are Fey we're talking about here, I may buy us some time with taying behind, and Li may manage to cut through them with his cold iron, but other that that we don't stand a chance if half of stories I heard about them are true." Vir-Sashi says, still trying to adjust his cloak to fit him.

7. - Top - End - #637

Coanaoch answers, "Well, I wouldn't say I was 'attacked' exactly, but some flashy magic was used to disorient me. A magic cricket asked me what I was doing in the forest. I won't call him friendly, but I will say he was helpful .... to send me packing and out of the forest to the monastery."
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #638
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ur-Agal looks to Vir-Sashi. "We are not helpless against them. I do not wish to battle them, but if it comes to running, it will come to fighting. It is no easy thing to run from the feywild in their homeland."

As Coanacoch reveals his story about the cricket fairies he nods. "Grigs, they are called. Generally speaking, unless riled to anger, they are harmless. If possible, I would like to speak to them rather than some of the other fey."

He is fastidious in his actions. Everything he takes out, he puts away once he's don't using it, and you can see that he has left almost no trace that he ever stopped here along the roadside.

"As for a diplomatic strategy, I would like you to serve as our point with me. You not only encountered the fey here, but they helped you escape the woods. This means they either took pity on you, like you, or do not consider you to be a threat. Either way, they are less likely to attack if they see you again. We will do most of the talking. Always remain respectful and show no anger towards their taunts or tricks."

He turns to Vir-Sashi and Tilmek. "I would like you and Vir-Sashi to remain on either side of Li and behind us and ready to attack if need be."

"Li, if you sense that the fey are surrounding us, or that an assault is being prepared, I want you to give us this signal, 'it is strangely warm for spring.' We will know that it is time to drink our potions or prepare our weapons with this statement."

He stands and begins to clean the campsite

"When traveling through the woods, I believe that Li and I are most experienced with woodland travel. Coanacoch can lead the way back to the grigs. Li and I will take the flank positions. Vir-Sashi, I would like you to take the rear defense. I have been told that your kind are resistant to many mind-controlling effects. You should be on alert to see if any of us appear to be acting abnormally. Fey use magic that dominate and manipulate the wills of mortals. If they can, they may try to use one of us to kill the others. Tilmek, your speed and agility will allow you to get to any of us in need. I'd like you to remain in the middle and always on the alert."

After he finishes cleaning, he stands up and faces you as a group.

"I have never worked with you as a team before, though I have trained with Li some. Therefore this is only my recommendation. If you have suggestions before we go into the woods, I will hear them now."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

Li nodded to Ur-Agol. The plan seemed sound enough. Li still wans't a fan on diplomatic attempts with these creatures. He would rather carve them open and negotiate while he had a cold iron blade pressing into the wound. He knew even the faintest contact with the metal caused Fey pain...he wondered how they would scream as he twisted a blade in them.

With a deep breath Li tried to push those thoughts from his mind. Anger and vengeance would cloud his senses. He couldn't be responsible for the group's safety if the slightest twitch had him ready to attack. Those thoughts would also cost the monastery its safety and plunge them into another face of war, which they couldn't handle.

Li reached back and drew his bow along with a normal arrow. He knocked it loosely in the bow, but did not draw it back. He closed his eyes and focused himself. Calmness, clear thoughts, focused senses...these were the tools he used.

"I am ready. Should anyone come upon us Ur-Agal and I can look like guides or hunters. With a normal arrow drawn even if the fey come upon us it will be laughed at if even noticed as a threat. My cold iron arrows are close at hand and I can get to them quickly if need be.

May our patron dieties watch over us as closely as we will watch over eachother. We will need all the help we can get, and may the other dieties be ready to recieve those who seek our fall...for they will embrace eachother soon before us. Let's move!"

10. - Top - End - #640
    Banned

Goblin

"I'll do my best." Vir-Sashi nods. "Sadly, I don't have gods I could pray to, but I hope, for all of us, to my eyes be sharp and mind be clean."

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

With everyone in position, Coanacoch guides them through the woods. The path from the place where he met the grigs was fairly direct, and therefore it was easy enough to find again. But this time, you are met with a gruesome sight: the corpse of a gnoll, half buried and badly torn lies at the base of a tree. His dying expression is one of horror and pain, and there are several claw marks around him, like he was trying to scratch at the ground before he died.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

Li looks to the corpse with a blank face. He puts his bow away and draws a cold iron dagger as he slowly approaches the body. "Everyone eyes open!"

When he gets to the body, he takes a knee and begins to examine it and the area around it. His hand holding to the dagger tightly incase the gnoll isn't completely dead, or this is a trap and he is about to be attacked.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check (1d20+12)[32] to notice anything on his approach
    Search check (1d20+2)[13] for the body and immediate area around it to notice gear or clues to cause of death.

13. - Top - End - #643

Coanoch says simply to Li, not commandingly, "Li ... put your dagger away. Be ready for danger, but not armed for it. That dagger out says you are hostile. We're not here for a fight. We're here maybe to get help for a different one."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek drops into a ready stance as he looks about for anything watching them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+4)[20]
    Listen (1d20+9)[20]

15. - Top - End - #645
    Banned

Goblin

Vir-Sashi lets Li handle the body and Coanoch handle Li, while he himself watches carefully over whole group, awondering if they can already be falling under Fey infulence. And he also watches if they aren't in any danger.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+8)[15]
    Listen (1d20+7)[11]

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ur-Agal looks around, similarly unsettled. "This is not the work of grigs. Are you certain we're in the right place, Coanacoch?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+10)[27]
    Listen: (1d20+10)[18]
    Know (Nature): (1d20+11)[18]
    Know (Geography): (1d20+9)[18]

"I think I know this grove. We are unsafe here. They say it is guarded by a deadly spirit that protects the trees. Woodsman who enter this place bearing an axe suffer horrible deaths."

Coanacoch:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is only a little south of the spot where you met the grigs. Even in the daylight, the woods are poorly lit, due to the density of its canopy, but this is a clearing you passed through when Nib showed you the way out.

Li:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's faint, but you do detect movement from the trees. Had you not been on full alert, you may never even have seen it. Whatever it is, it's fast or there are many of them. They seem to always skirt around the peripheral of your vision. They appear to be humanoid females in shape, but very slender... delicately so, but their quickness and stealth suggests that they are not as frail as they appear. They are either wearing skin tight clothing or are nude.

Search:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The gnoll is completely dead. It appears to be dragged under the tree, and based on the expression on its face, you think it happened pretty quickly. His battle axe and steel shield are lying ten feet from his current position, and the scratch marks (which match that of the gnoll's clawed hand) trail away from it. You know rumors of certain trees that could move and attack, but you are also aware that most fey can control plants to within a certain degree. It is not apparent whether this is the result of a carnivorous tree or fairy magic, or some other mysterious cause. Half of his body is under ground, but he is wearing some standard gnoll gear: leather armor, shortbow (which has been snapped), a quiver of arrows, and what appears to be a mostly buried coin purse attached to a loop on his belt. His face is also pierced and adorned with various jewelry.

Survival: (rolled for you)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The blood on the gnoll isn't fresh. Odds are, he couldn't have died any sooner than last night.

You suddenly feel like it's time to move on. You conclude that whatever this implies, it's clearly too dangerous to waste another moment here. You feel strongly that you should head south and keep a wide berth from this grove.

Roll a Will Save: DC 15

Tilmek:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The area is very still. You sense a presence, but cannot see it. Sounds of movement perk your ears, and you can see that Li appears distracted by movement as well. Based on the sounds, you may already be surrounded, but why they haven't attacked you yet is uncertain.

Vir-Sashi:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other than the surreal image of a dead gnoll half-buried under the tree, nothing seems too out of the ordinary. Your party seems to be growing considerably apprehensive though. You notice that Li seems to be struggling with some internal debate, however.

Roll a Sense Motive check.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-09-22 at 11:47 AM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

17. - Top - End - #647
    Banned

Goblin

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+3)[9]
    Would write something, but I'm not sure why I actually take it - to guess what's with Li or to disbelief illusion or somethenig?

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save (1d20+8)[22] vs DC 15
    Woot! Screw you Fey mind control!

Li feels thoughts creeping in from the edge of his mind, and couples it with the images he can barely see passing through the edges of his eyes. They are surrounded already, and these fey are trying to guide him away from their home. No outright attacks have been made yet. They must not have noticed his dagger cleary enough.

Slowly, he moves a hand forward towards the body and grabs a hold of the coin purse. With a quick yank he tries to free it before looking back at the others.

Come on guys, lets get out of here! This place is creepy as hell and that body is making me sick to my stomach. Maybe that spot we remember is further south of this forest huh? Anyway, let's just get going before we end up like that gnoll! Besides it is strangely warm for spring and trudging through this forest has made me tired...so let's just go."
    Last edited by Azoth; 2012-09-22 at 07:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #649

Coanoch says, "This is a dangerous place with dark spirits. Put axes and any other cutting weapons away. I passed through here, but it is south of where I met Nib. Let's go ... now."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff Check to act as if charmed (1d20-1)[1]

*insert appropriate 'we are boned' face*
    Last edited by Azoth; 2012-09-22 at 07:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek looks around and shudders "I agree. We should leave. Right. Now." with that he begins walking slowly to the south.
    Last edited by Vixsor Lumin; 2012-09-23 at 02:17 AM.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Banned

Goblin

"Li, are you all right? You act strange." Vir-ashi says, concerned that Fey have already gotten to his friend already.

23. - Top - End - #653

Coanoch says, "Don't try to leave the area of the fey for safety, just leave this area. We go north, not south. I met Nib to the north of here."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Vir-Sashi:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't initially sense that anyone is under enchantment, but the current confusion amongst your group suggests that one, or maybe all are enchanted in one way or another. Li and Tilmek say south; Coanacoch says north. You will have to decide whom to trust.

Ur-Agal assesses the groups opinions, then takes a swig from a spare waterskin.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+4)[8]
    Survival: (1d20+12)[21]

Ur-Agal looks to Li with some comprehension. "I agree with you about how warm it is. We shall head south, and then circle wide around this grove. Come..."

He leads the group south until you get out of the grove, then you circle wide into an unknown path which opens up to a small village. A large man wearing a thick fur coat and cowl made of what appears to be a wolf, walks out of the hut as you approach. But there is something strange about his appearance. When he spots you, he calls out in a strange language.

"Tsee- elell grot anubut dryaddu?" He peers out at you, inquisitively.

Ur-Agal listens to the words with an expression of recognition. "He speaks Sylvan.... ultray anut tseluran. Glendau dryaddu?"

The man laughs wildly. "SUBBA! Gel dareneth fambrenesh!"

With that several other men charge out of the huts. In a flash, Ur-Agal's demeanor changes to one of extreme hostility. "Not good. They think we're food."

Battle Grid Pending...
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-09-24 at 01:47 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

25. - Top - End - #655
    Banned

Goblin

Vir-Sashi moves foward the enemy, assuming deffensive stance, ready to protect his commrades.
    "This doesn't look good! Can you talk them out from it?" He asks Ur-Agal.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Initiative (in Alphabetical Order):
    Coanacoch: (1d20+2)[17]
    Humanoid 1: (1d20+1)[18]
    Humanoid 2: (1d20+1)[7]
    Humanoid 3: (1d20+1)[3]
    Li: (1d20+3)[7]
    Ur-Agal: (1d20+7)[18]
    Tilmek: (1d20+2)[13]
    Vir-Sashi: (1d20+8)[20]

Initiative Order:
    1. Vir-Sashi
    2. Ur-Agal
    3. Alaghi 1
    4. Coanacoch
    5. Tilmek
    6. Li
    7. Alaghi 2
    8. Alaghi 3

As he closes in, you can get a better look at him. He is tall and sturdy looking, about 6 feet tall and easily cresting 300 lbs, with broad shoulders, barrel chest, and disproportionately short legs. His "cowl" is actually his face, and he can open his long-fanged jaws terrifyingly wide:

Spoiler
    Show

He is brandishing a wooden javelin, and his friends seem to be similarly armed.

Ur-Agal:
    "Does a rabbit talk a fox out of eating him?"
    Knowledge: (1d20+11)[28]
    "Damn! We've stumbled into an Alaghi den!"
    Humanoid 4: (1d20+1)[10]
    Humanoid 5: (1d20+1)[9]

Battle Grid:
    Spoiler
    Show

Get em Vir...
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-09-24 at 04:41 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

27. - Top - End - #657
    Banned

Goblin

"In the stories rabbit usually deals with the wolf." Vir-Sashi points out. "And tricks him into hurting himself." Before acting he tries to remember what those Alaghi actually are.

Spoiler
    Show

If I get correctly your post from ooc, it will be General Int (1d20+3)[11] +3 Knowledge Religion

VirSashi will act accordingly to what the result will tell, so I'll psot again after you'll tell me what he knows.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Vir-Sashi and Necahual:
    General INT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alaghi are barrel-chested, with short, thick necks and wide, flat heads with sloping brows. Their shoulders are broad, and their arms are long and powerful. Their legs are short but thick, and their hands and feet are very large. An alaghi's entire body is covered with thick hair.
    You know very little about this creature, though from it's build and habitat, you could surmise that they are barbaric hunter/gatherers who are primarily carnivorous. The fact that they speak Sylvan implies intelligence, but their crude weaponry and simple domiciles suggests that they are still in the pre-tribal, nomadic stages of social development.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

29. - Top - End - #659
    Banned

Goblin

"Guys, don't advance, we don't know how many of them are there. Let them come to us." Vir-Sashi says. "If they attack travellers and eat them and you say there is no point talking with them, would it be okay for us to kill them?" He aks Ur-Agal.

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I do nothing. Would charge, but it would probably end with all three of them ganging up on me (not to mention I doubt charge from where I'm standing to where they are is even possible) and it's more in character for Vir to try protect his friends.
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2012-09-27 at 09:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ur-Agal:
    Ur-Agal loads his crossbow and takes aim.
    Move: Load Crossbow
    Attack (Point Blank Shot): (1d20+8)[10] (the one in Q8)
    Damage (PBS): (1d8+1)[9]
    But the wild shot only grazes the Alaghi.

"Please do, Vir-Sashi!" He hisses through his teeth.

Alaghi 1:
    Wasting no time on tactics, the Alaghi charges in shrieking wildly and launches his crude javelin at Coanacoch.

Move: From Z16 to X10
    Attack: (1d20+13)[32]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[8]

Coanacoch, you're up.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-09-27 at 11:45 AM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry