New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Monk Campaign: A Boot to the Head (IC)

Li shakes his head in disbelief. Someone made it into the camp without setting off the alarms, and some of their food is piled up as if an offering. This doesn't make sense to him in the least. The mission may as well be code named "Daycare Center".

As he finishes rising to full consciousness, he decides there is nothing much to be done until morning when everyone is awake. Then he can get answers to his questions. For now he resigns himself to his watch.

His bow is kept in hand and a cold iron arrow knocked. Fey or man, one of these will hurt whoever decides to try and invade his perimeter. They already have too many mouths and questions.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

@Li:
    The forest is rather quiet for a time. Since many of the forests creatures are nocturnal, the stillness comes as no surprise. But that's not to say the world is bereft of movement.

A goblin tribe hustles past your group, far outside the perimeter of your trap, but close enough to make out their silhouettes in the distance as they dart through the underbrush.

A while later, a dazzling sight floats past you. About 100 feet away, the shadowy darkness of the woods lights up with a radiant glow. Tiny floating balls of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and purple swirl around and dance through the air, moving like a zephyr throughout the trees.

The radiant and mysterious sight is hypnotic as it wisps through the air, then fades off into the woods as quickly as it had gone.

Beyond that, your shift ends quietly. When you return to awaken Tilmek, you see that the boy is finally awake. He's drawing patterns in the dirt with a sharp rock.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

Li looks to the child and then to tilmek. Child, put down the rock and sleep. We take our leave of this cave in a short time and will not stop our progress for a tired brat who won't rest. You will march like we do, and be quiet about it. If you make too much noise and draw attention to us, we can not guarantee your life by the end of it.

With that he shakes Tilmek awake to take over watch. Time for Li to return to the land of rest, and try to recover a little more energy for the day ahead. Maybe they can find the infernal Fey they are looking for and be done with this. This forest is not safe, and it is getting harder to contain his feelings.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The boy looks up at Li. "You try sleeping after finding out everyone you've ever known is dead," he grumbles. But he dutifully tosses the rock aside and plops down angrily on the dirt floor.

@Tilmek:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The pile of food on the outer perimeter of Li's trap has attracted attention of the beasts of the land. Occasionally, a deer or squirrel comes by to filch a treasure or two from its pile, only to scatter at some perceived noise.

A large cricket, perhaps the size of a mouse, hops up to it and sifts through the pile with what appears to be arms.

It turns to look at you, then smiles. A closer look reveals that it's no cricket, but some kind of fairy. A good description would be that of a tiny centaur, but with a cricket body instead of a horses.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

It's late evening.

Ur-Agal has a cold breakfast arranged for you as he nudges each of your awake. It's not a fine meal, mostly nuts, berries, dried meat and some roots. Still, it serves the purpose without lighting a fire.

"Goblin tribes have been moving. I am not certain where or why." He says in hushed tones. "This forest is crawling with them, and I am inclined to move on before our luck runs out." He summarizes as he watches the group make ready for the day.

He pauses when he sees Necahual pull her cloak back to reveal the girl child. "Who in the nine hells is that?"
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hello!" Tilmek says excitedlly at seeing the young girl. "How did you get here?"
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

Li groans as he hears the others. Seems we are starting up a daycare center instead of accomplishing our mission. Also, more than just goblins are on the move. Seems we had some visitors throughout the night, but other than the kid nothing crossed our perimeter. Means the Alaghi haven't snooped us out yet, and the rest of the forest are giving us our space. I think we should double time it to our objective. I'll carry the kids if they can't keep up, since I know you won't leave them behind.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

Necahual looks at the boy and the little girl and says, "True to my enduring style of fighting, it seems I am the earth mother. I'll carry the girl, Li."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

9. - Top - End - #789
    Banned

Goblin

"Wait, how none of us noticed this girl before?" Vir-Sashi asks, a little bit suprised and a quite bit confused. But he tries to be friendly, so he waves at the girl. "Hello, what's your name?" He tries to smile, but of course with his face it looks like an angry grim.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The conversation finally rouses the little girl. She stretches and yawns, then rubs her eyes. After blinking a few times, she smiles a bit and sighs, "Nekahal... I found you." Then she looks over at Vir-Sashi. She recoils a bit, brow furrowing as she tries to understand what she's seeing. But it doesn't take her long to recover. After only a moment, her curiosity gets the better of her. She stands up, showing a youthful vibrance that is quite unexpected after such a deep sleep. "Name's Libby!" She goes to wipe her hands off on her clothes, but stops short to examine what she's wearing. "What in the hells-?" she says as she examines her flower petal gown. She twists a bit, then spins around, examining the way it flows. "Pretty!" She smiles, her eyes gleaming as she looks to Necahual. "Thanks!" Apparently assuming Necahual gave her the dress.

The boy munches quietly on his breakfast, but you can see him stifling a weird expression. Then he looks up at Li. "I can walk just fine. No need to do me any favors." He turns to Tilmek. "As for the girl... I'd be careful. I'd bet five copper she got dropped here by the Petals. Nasty little blighters. Pranksters and thieves the lot of them."

The girl stops her spinning and scowls at the boy. "No one dropped me here, you ugly stub!" she shouts indignantly, her little fists balling up angrily.

The boy glares back.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

Li looked to the kid and smirked. Kid we move about twice as fast as a full grown man. You won't be able to keep up on your own. Its more about us not being slowed down by our nanny duties than doing you any favors. Though, I do have to wonder, just how you know about and why you hate the Fey?

12. - Top - End - #792
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Everyone in Cliffside knows the tales. We grow up on 'em.
    Beware the woods when evenin' settles,
    The trees and brush are so beguilin',
    In this brush lie livin' petals,
    Ever watchin', ever smilin'

The song they sing have magic powers
    In sleep, you'll fall, in the dark'ning woods
    To wake in the morn in a dress of flowers,
    Stripped of all your worldly goods.

Children's tales really. But then..."
    he points to the girls dress, "I guess there's the proof of their existence." The boy stands up and dusts his hands off, and Libby looks down at her flower-woven gown with a bit more wonder and curiosity.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

"How could the fey leaving us a little girl be a threat?" Tilmek asks, genuinly confused. He begins stretching and preparing for the long run ahead of them.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Banned

Goblin

"Well, they could cover the gown with tiny explosive runes, give her something that will turn her into a werewolf, mark her with curse that will attract monsters or..." Vir-Sashi shuts up when he realizes what kind of look everybody, except maybe Li, are giving him.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Libby turns her angry glare on Vir-Sashi. "I ain't no werewolf, and I ain't covered in 'explosive rooms'!" She walks over to Vir-Sashi, grabs a clawed hand and rakes it over a small corner of the flower petal material. "See? Nothing but flowers. I think it's pretty." She sticks her tongue out at Vir-Sashi to make her point.

A loud crashing through the woods interrupts the conversation. Something passing southeast of here is making no effort to cover its passage, and it sounds like it will be passing right by your camp site.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

16. - Top - End - #796
    Banned

Goblin

"That could be the boar I seen at my watch. Or something worse. We better hide in the threes." Vir-Sashi says. "And yes, your groom is pretty. I think so." He says to Libby.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

Li snaps to the alert as he hears the sound. A look of "I'm going to regret this..." appears on his face. He reaches into his belt and tosses a cold iron dagger to the boy. That dagger will harm anything in the forest you manage to cut with it, but don't use it unless it is to defend yourself or the girl. No acting the hero, or losing your temper at someone. Weapons are tools of death, and to draw one is to become its emissary.

Rising to his feet Li takes a slow breath. Who is still injured from the Alaghi fight? I can restore some of your health. I suggest if you aren't injured, start packing up the camp while I tend the wounded. Once we are packed up, we head out. Given the new additions I think it best if Ur-Agal acts as advanced scout, while the rest of us move in a bit of a phalanx to guard the kids.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek rolls up his bedroll and begins clearing the camp. "That seems like a good plan to me."

19. - Top - End - #799
    Colossus in the Playground

"Still feeling like my belly is turned sideways," says Coanoch, referring to his abdominal wound.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

Li steps towards Coanoch as one of the pearls on his belt glows bright white before turning black as the light travels to his hand. He places his hand over the wound to heal it what he can.

Heal:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (2d8)[12]

21. - Top - End - #801

Coanoch's wounds entirely heal. He whistles in appreciation. "Wow. You've been busy. Thank you very much."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #802
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The boy catches the dagger and spins it until he is gripping it properly, and ducks into a defensive crouch near the little girl.

The girl gasps at the rumbling sound in the woods, but clenches her fists like she's ready to fight whatever comes through that clearing.

Ur-Agal nods at the plans, and nocks his crossbow, then takes the point position, leading the group away from the crashing sound.

As the sound comes closer, you can clearly hear the awful shriek of goblins. But at the head of the mob are what appear to be little men riding deer, though in the dark of evening it is too difficult to make out details.

Then, leaping through the thicket like a hurdler in a race, you see neither man nor beast, but both: a three-foot tall centaur with the body of an antelope instead of a horse, and small forking antlers sprouting from its head. The look on its face is determination more than fear as it bounds into the clearing, stopping for only a moment to look at your company, then he charges onward.

Spoiler
    Show

Shortly thereafter, two more come bounding after, followed by the wild hoots of the goblins. A third one comes running in, a broken piece of a javelin stuck in it's flank, is struggling hard to keep up. Swarming in like an army of ants whose mound has been disturbed, nine goblins come pouring in behind him, shrieking in savage glee. One goblin lets loose with another javelin. Though it does little damage, it successfully stumbles the centaur-like creature enough to slow his progress. The goblins close in on the unfortunate victim, who, standing defiantly, launches an arrow into the face of the nearest goblin, dropping it instantly.

The sounds of more goblins behind them give ominous warning to a bitter end of this strange woodland creature.

Battle Grid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek drops the bundle he was making and srops into a ready stance waiting for an opportunity to attack
    Spoiler
    Show
    initiative (1d20+2)[3]

24. - Top - End - #804
    Banned

Goblin

Even wih Li's warnings to not trust the creatures of the Fey, bunch of Goblins assaulting a wonder being is something Vir-Sashi won't stand for. However, remembering his past mistakes, he remains focused and decides not to kill his opponents, not until they'll question them.
    He runs toward one of the goblins and jumps at him.
    "ATA!" He screams, delivering flying kick ot the creature.

Spoiler
    Show

Charge at goblin at H7.
    Attack roll (1d20+8)[25]
    Dmg (1d6+3)[4]

25. - Top - End - #805

Coanoch moves to F8 to attack the goblin at G8. He uses a darting cobra fist to strike at the goblin's sword arm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage (1d6)[3]

I'll declare my Dodge at the end of the surprise round. If I don't drop the goblin, it will be G8. If I do drop him, then G9.

AC = 13 (14 w/ Dodge)
    Show

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

Necahual takes a 5-foot step to F6 and strikes the goblin @ G6.
    Spoiler
    Show
    CE2
    Attack (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage (1d6+3)[4]

AC: 15
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek runs and dips around his friends until he is in the thick of the goblins. He jumps in the air and drops his elbow onto a goblin hoping to hit him in the head. As he lands he lowers his guard, daring anyone to attack him.

Spoiler
    Show
    move to G7
    attack H7 (1d20+7)[9]
    damage (1d8+1)[4]
    fist of iron bonus damage (1d6)[5]

use karmic stike to lower AC by 4 and cause anyone who hits me to provoke AoO

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

Li sees his teem mates charge into the thick of it and lets out a small groan. His head turns to the kids as he draws an arrow back. Stay back by me. Don't move unless I say so! With that he lets the arrow fly into the goblin hunting party

Spoiler
    Show

Target: Goblin located at G9

Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[4]
    Crit confirmation (20): (1d20+5)[23]
    Crit Damage (x3): (3d8+6)[20]

My AC: 16
    Last edited by Azoth; 2012-12-21 at 02:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Initiative Order: Surprise Round
    1. Vir-Sashi
    2. Coanacoch
    3. Li
    4. Tilmek
    5. Necahual
    6. Goblin3 Dying hp -1
    7. Goblin1 Concealment
    8. Goblin5
    9. Goblin4
    10. Creature1
    11. Goblin2 2hp

Ur-Agal:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Following Li's lead, Ur-Agal concentrates his fire on the back of the crowd, lining up a shot at Goblin1's head.
    Attack: Missed

Goblin3 (H7) raises a nasty javelin to retaliate against the woodland creature just in time to receive a foot to the face. The impact sends him flying backward, skidding to a crouch a few feet away from the impact. He screams in fear and anger at Vir-Sashi. But the success of Vir-Sashi's attack throws off Tilmek's follow up strike, which narrowly misses the goblins chest. Goblin3 sucks in his gut as the woosh of air follows the force of Tilmek's errant swing.

Goblin2 (G8) looks up in surprise at the new attackers, and raises his javelin arm to sweep away Coanacoch's jabbing strike. But Coanacoch is the faster by far, and the strike lands hard on the funny bone. Goblin2 yelps in pain, but manages to hang on to his weapon.

While lying on ground with his destroyed face, the goblin (G6) tries to make sense of the scene. Then a crushing blow takes away his pain, his senses and all desire. His last sight, that of Necahual's heel.

Goblin1 (G9) witnesses the carnage unfold and glances up with enough time to see an arrow aimed at his heart. He rolls for cover and Li's arrow hits only the thick grass where Goblin1 once was.

Goblin3 (H7):
    Saving Roll (1-10): (d%)[100]

Goblin1: (G9)
    Returns Li's favor with a javelin throw, arcing high over the cave entrance.
    (1d20+3)[9]

then scampers into the thicket for better cover.
    Move: to H10
    Goblin1 has Concealment (20% miss chance)

Goblin5: (H9)
    Content to use his allies as a meat shield, Goblin5 launches his javelin at Tilmek.
    Attack: (1d20-1)[3]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]
    Move: Draw Javelin

Crit Confirm If Necessary:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20-1)[2]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]

Goblin4: (H8)
    Goblin4 stabs low at Tilmek's legs with his javelin, hoping to hamstring the dangerous foe.
    Attack: (1d20+2)[8]
    Damage: (1d4)[2]
    "Unr'nk upu' dr' u'! K'd dr' unr'nk!" It squeals in rage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+2)[12]

Creature1: (G4)
    Not wanting to waste his good fortune, the creature fires another arrow goblin Tilmek and Vir-Sashi attacked (H7), who grasps at the new arrow protruding from his chest, then drops to the ground bleeding.
    Move: to C7

Then runs up to join the other archers, shouting, "Foaelz ili'g!"

To which Ur-Agal shouts back, "Lyphyua yilalk foaef! Ugwf zyyv woi'i'flalj!"

Goblin2:
    Growling angrily, Goblin2 grips his javelin tight and thrusts a clumsy strike at Coanacoch.
    "To', ouu buo moddm' pukdunt!"
    Attack: (1d20+2)[21]
    Damage: (1d4)[3]

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+2)[16]

Initiative Order:
    1. Vir-Sashi
    2. Coanacoch hp 17
    3. Li
    4. Tilmek
    5. Goblin3 hp -2
    6. Goblin1
    7. Goblin5
    8. Goblin4
    9. Creature1
    10. Goblin2 hp 2
    11. Necahual
    12. Ur-Agal
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-12-22 at 06:01 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

30. - Top - End - #810
    Banned

Goblin

Vir-Sashi moves past bleeding goblin and calmy attacks the one in front of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move at h7.
    Attack gobli at h8.
    Flurry (1d20+6)[22]
    dmg (1d6+3)[5]
    Second attack [roll]1d20+6[/rol]]
    (1d6+3)[9]