New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1126272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1113
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: 3.5 Monk Campaign: A Boot to the Head (IC)

Coanacoch and Libby:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Only Master Yama and one other monk remain. Master Yama is sitting quietly in the chamber, while the other monk sits in quiet meditation.

Libby stirs uncomfortably. She can feel the weight of the oppressive silence as Coanacoch ponders the fate of the three elite monks.

Sense Motive:
    Spoiler
    Show
    While your instincts tell you to trust your masters, you feel a twinge of suspicion that there is a conspiracy afoot. What it all means, however, is lost on you.

Li, Necahual, Tilmek, Vir-Sashi, Kevin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kevin looks at his knife and tucks it away… a little embarrassed. "I uh. I dunno. I don't know what's going on. Coanacoch and Libby were freaked out. I thought there was trouble. Then some old monk guy came and took Libby and Coanacoch away. Then-" He jumps again as Necahual and Brottor burst into the hall.

Necahual: "Gentlemen, come with me. Now. But I cannot explain right now."
    "I… what? Me too?" Kevin's head is spinning in confusion.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2013-03-10 at 02:38 AM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground

"Tilmek," says Necahual, "find Ur-Agal and have him meet us outside the entrance to the abbey. This is of the utmost importance. Go.

"The rest of you, I cannot talk of what you want to hear in the halls, follow me to the vault. We shall outfit ourselves as soon as possible. And let us be silent."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek looks around confused, then glances over to Li. "Fine. Will we have to wait long?"
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ogre in the Playground

Li lets out a slow breath as he shares Tilmek's look. His body stiffens back into a mode ready for combat. He has a feeling that this is going to end badly for them. In any case, they have a duty and he will perform it.

Let's move out. Everyone at the ready. Kevin...stay between us and don't let your hand stray too far from that knife.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Banned

Goblin

Okay. I don't know what's going on, but I trust you. Vir-Sahsi says, unsure what he should say in such situation. He steps foward entire group, acting as a living shield in case of attack. It's more an instinct than anything else, what could have attacked them in the Abbey?

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Tilmek:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You find Ur-Agal in his chambers. When he opens the door, he is putting on a shirt, but you can see he is covered in welts. His eyes are glassy and dilated from pain. It likes like he's been paying penance for something, based on the small flog by his simple cot. "What is the matter? By your knock it seemed urgent."

Li, Necahual, Vir-Sashi, Kevin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Necahual leads you down to the lower levels. The monastery is mostly empty, since many of the monks have been sent off to Ogremeet, but as you get down into the tunnels, you can see the novices laboring in the mines, growing callouses and muscles needed for their advance training to come.

A stocky half-dwarf intercepts you as you turn away from the tunnels toward the Sacred Halls. You recognize him as Stavraphore Ulfgar, the hard-knuckled, hairy overseer of the mines. He was your first trainer when you were hardening your bones down here. His expression changes from grumpy to cheery as soon as he recognizes you.

"Li? Necahual? Vir-Sashi! I haven't seen you three in ages. Come to hammer away at the mines, eh? Or is that a new recruit you got there?" He says nodding towards Kevin. His expression changes again when he notices Grandmaster Brottor's seal. "Something has happened." He concludes grimly.

Coanacoch, Libby, Master Yama:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time passes slowly and Master Yama begins to grow concerned. He looks to Coanacoch, then to the other master and clears his throat. "I'm sure they'll be here soon." He says with an empty smile. His eyes belie his worry though.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ogre in the Playground

Necahual points to the seal around her neck. "No time to talk, Stavrophore. We need supplies as quickly as you can spare what you can. Then get the initiates out with us through the side tunnel and a short distance outside the main gate. We can't afford the very rock to fall on our next generation."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Colossus in the Playground

Coanoch holds onto Libby (and she probably more to him), not knowing what to do right now.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ulfgar wastes no time with further banter. He reaches into his desk, signs a parchment and stamps it, then hands it to Necahual. "I don't know what supplies you need, but it's yours to use. Take this note to the guards in the Sacred Halls. Even with the Grandmaster's seal, you won't get far without it." Security has been increased since last you were down here. He points to a glyph on the wall. "And wherever you see these, say the name of our founder before it glows red. They're clearly marked throughout the Sacred Halls. It will disarm the glyphs for several seconds… enough to pass through its range. I'll guide the disciples to the main entrance. Good luck."

With that, he turns, claps his leathery hands and barks out orders like the drill sergeant you remember him being. Novices drop tools and abandon carts, scrambling to get in line for whatever is happening next.

You make your way through the Sacred Halls. Every time you approach a glyph, it begins to glow a soft pink color. Calling out the name of the founder causes it to recede back to its normal, black ink glyph. At each intersection, you encounter guards who check your papers. Even if you warn them of impending catastrophe, they won't abandon their post unless given explicit instructions from a master, the evacuation bells are sounded, or a relief from their shift is provided at the appointed time. The last set of guards issues this one warning before you enter the vault. "Enter the vault 'pure.' Simple clothing of a singular material; enter nude if you must. Absolutely no weapons allowed. There are chests by the entrance for you to deposit your worldly possessions." They take one look at Kevin. "The boy may not enter."

Tilmek and Ur-Agal:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The two of you head to the main entrance armed and ready for whatever is to come.

You hear a powerful boom! Like a thunderclap, but one that comes from inside the abbey. The walls of the west wing cracks, but holds as masonry dust flies away in a weightless puff.

Coanacoch and Libby:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master Yama gets increasingly agitated and decides to put the time spent waiting to some good use. "Libby. You claimed that Raime Momaan is responsible for the attack on Cliffside. How do you know this?"

Libby looks to Coanoach for guidance, then turns to Master Yama. "i didn't say that. I said he was a bad man. He was called Mr. Manon at the camp, and everyone was scared of him. Boss was going to kick him out, but Mr. Manon had left already. Boss said if anyone ever saw him again, to alert him immediately, because he was a dangerous man."

"Who is Bos-" Just then, you hear a distant thrumming sound, like a timpani. Master Yama stops speaking and looks at the door intently. The other monk springs to a stand. "Sound the alarm." Master Yama commands flatly.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Ogre in the Playground

"The hell!?" Tilmek exclaims. "Do you think they're ok?!"

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

Li stands firm as he looks to the guards. Kevin, the boy, goes in with us. He had our backs in the forest of the Fey. I armed him then to watch our backs, and you will now so he can continue to do so.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Tilmek and Ur-Agal:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ur-Agal looks at the building with a sense of awe. "No. I do not think they are ok. This looks bad."

Just then, a stocky half-dwarf throws open the temple dwarves, and begins guiding the novices out of the main gate. Young, soot covered students begin pouring out of the main entrance looking utterly terrified.

You recognize the half-dwarf as Stavraphore Ulfgar, overseer of the mines, and your first trainer, since all novices start in the mines to toughen their skin and harden their bones before the combat training begins. "Hurreh now! On wit' it!" he bellows as he holds one of the doors open. He's too busy to have noticed you.

Spoiler
    Show
    The guards maintain their resolve. "Regardless, Kevin is not a monk. And the rules exist for your safety. If you enter the vault, Kevin stays behind, and so do all your weapons."

Coanacoch and Libby:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The other monk runs to the door to sound the alarm. But as soon as he gets to it, the door burst open, with the Fey'ri, Master Kaina comes flying through it. She slams the door behind us, gasping. She looks like hell and is covered in wounds. "Master Yama! We are overrun! Devils from Baator have surged in from the protective glyphs that Momaan drew! Momaan is not what he seems!"

Master Yama looks to Coanacoch. "Stay here-"

Master Kaina interjects. "No master! We must evacuate! This entire abbey will collapse on itself. I must return to Ironhead's side. He gives his final orders. You are the official Grandmaster of the surviving members of the Flame Hand. Protect its sons and daughters. We will buy you as much time as we can." With that, she charges back out of the room.

Master Yama looks to Coanacoch. "Get the child to safety at once! Jacob, come with me." The monk who was heading to sound the alarm falls in line behind Master Yama. "Good luck." Jacob says to Coanacoch as the charge toward the door.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

"Stavraphore Ulfgar! What happened?!?"

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's fine," says Necahual, dropping her cloak in the chest. "We're not leaving him behind, Li. We just can't get equipment for him. No time for this right now."

Her cloak in, she steps into the Vault.
    Current Games

15. - Top - End - #1065

Coanoch takes Libby close to her, "Here we go. We knew we could not escape this fate, but we were safer in this room. Be brave."
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Banned

Goblin

"Kevin, stay here, and wait for us, okay? We'll be back soon." Vir-ashi says, taking down his cloak and anything else he needs to.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ogre in the Playground

Li starts to remove his gear as he looks about. Not arming the boy was the same as leaving him behind. Sure, back in the woods all Li had to give him was a dagger, but it was something. Maybe now, he could a bit better than just a knife. It would be risky and probably land him in trouble if anyone to punish him still stood when it was over...but he would try.

Trust me Kevin, as long as I travel with ya...you won't be naked and defenseless to the world. We will be back as soon as we can, and I'll make sure you stay safe with us.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ogre in the Playground

Necahual says, "Standard road loudout - backpack, bedroll, flint & steel, some torches, a week or so rations, and a waterskin, please.

"For armament, a small sword, a light crossbow w/ 20 bolts for long range armor-piercing and a sling for mid-range, behind cover fire that takes advantage of my strength ... maybe 20 bullets."
    Current Games

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

There is a slot for Brottor's seal on the door. When Necahual places the seal in the slot and turns it like a key, the door opens. There is a weird glow coming from within it.

When you enter the vault, you see that it resembles a library of scrolls with a simple, stone bench and desk in the middle. A strange figure rises from it's perch on the bench.

This 10-foot-tall, vaguely humanoid form shimmers on the edge of existence. Though immaterial, its body seems to flash between phantom compositions of earth, air, fire, and water.
    Spoiler
    Show

It stands silently, examining the group. There is a sign written in ancient Ignan, most likely scribed by Fargrim Dóteagmháil himself.

Anyone who speaks Dwarven may be able to decipher the language.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ogre in the Playground

Li looks to the creature and then the writing. He slowly begins to mouth out the sounds and words of the message. His Dwarven is rusty, and this is not like any he has seen before. It is taking him time to piece it together while not letting the creature shift out of his vision.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, it is funnier if my ignorance makes me keep that last post.

INT to even recognize it as dwarven, even if I can't speak it (1d20+1)[18]

"No doubt dwarven, written by the original grandmaster himself. Unfortunately, I know only Common and Draconic. Anyone else?"
    Last edited by PSinger; 2013-03-13 at 04:40 AM.
    Current Games

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Although Li does not understand what he is saying, the creature before you seems to. It does not speak, but instead holds his hand into a balled fist out before you. When he snaps his hand open a perfectly shaped burning insignia of the abbey appears, writhing in brilliant orange light. With it's other hand, it points to Li.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ogre in the Playground

Li stops reading as he sees the creature move. His head tilting to the side slightly before he speaks.

In Dwarven:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, we are from the Abbey. I am Li, my friends and I were sent here by the grandmasters. The abbey is under attack. We need your help.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The creature looks at Li for a little while. It makes no move to approach you, but it does seem to be considering your words. After a few moments, it shakes it's head patiently and flares it's symbol again. Presumably, it needs something more substantial than your word in order to decide to help you.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ogre in the Playground

Li looks to it for a moment. His gears turning a bit slowly. Does anyone have anything with the grandmaster's seal or something similar showing we are who we are? If so, now would be a great time to present it to our buddy here.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

Already ahead of you says Necahual as she shows the vault guardian the seal around her neck.
    Current Games

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Tilmek and Ur-Agal:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stavraphore Ulfgar notices Tilmek for the first time. "I donno!" He shouts. "Most o'yer frien's came ta'meh with ol' Ironhead's talisman. 'ey said tha' we needed to evacuate the kiddies at once! 'en 'ere was tha' big damned explosion. 'Ere's more novices yet in th' Abbey. I have ta' go get 'em! I could use a bit o' help!"

Just then, another loud explosion rocks the temple and a goliath comes flying backwards out of a newly developed hole in the west wing. He soars out several feet, before plunging to the ground.

You recognize him as one of the elite masters of the Abbey.

Another elite master, a Fey'ri comes flying out after him. "Elanithinoooooo!" she screams as she flies toward him, but is too slow to catch him as he plunges to his death.

The evacuation bells can now clearly be heard resonating through the abbey halls. Through the hole, you can see devils running rampant.

Coanacoch and Libby:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For the moment, things seem quiet. Then another explosion shakes the abbey. dust falls from the chamber ceiling, and sacred tapestries sway from the impact. You begin hearing strange, hellish sounds coming from outside. Libby looks terrified and is clutching your arm so tight her knuckles are white. "Coanacoch… what's going on?!"

At last, the warning bells are sounding. But those are a sound you've only heard in drills… the evacuation warning. That can only mean one thing. The abbey is lost.

Li, Necahual, Vir-Sashi:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guardian approaches Necahual and takes the seal. He then brings it to the wall closest to the scrolls and pushes the insignia into what appears to be its embossed replica. The seal fits perfectly. The cubbies that hold the three largest scrolls flash, with a bright red radiance, then dissipate. Apparently the scrolls were protected by some kind of magic. The guardian stands back with his arms crossed and gestures toward the seals.

You hear a subdued thrum. Dust falls from the ceiling. The guardian looks up for a moment to interpret the source.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2013-03-17 at 06:49 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

28. - Top - End - #1078

On ... our ... way ... out ...
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground

Necahual steps forth to gather the scrolls.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did I interpret that the "seals" = "scrolls"?
    Current Games

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ogre in the Playground

Li crosses the distance slowly. His eyes never leaving the creature. He doesn't trust it, not in the least. He makes sure to keep close to Necahual incase anything happens. Right now they don't need anyone going down.