New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Good Wii U games?

So, my brother recently got himself a Wii U. Mostly because his Wii broke down and he wanted to have one around, mainly for Smash Brothers and a few other local multiplayer games.

Now, since Christmas is coming up, I was wondering. What games are there to recommend on the Wii U itself? (Or is there anything good that he might have missed and that the Wii U is backwards compatible with?) Perhaps not something that just came out, new games are ridiculously expensive.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Good Wii U games?

Besides Smash, I've played two, both very good.

Bayonetta 2 is fantastic, my personal game of the year and new favorite action game of all time. It's cheesy and over-the-top fun, with some of the best combat you could ask for. Can't recommend it highly enough unless you just don't like the genre at all.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is also a very strong one for its genre, with some great level design and fun boss fights. Plus, Cranky Kong is basically Scrooge McDuck, which is great.

I've also heard that Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 are very good, but have yet to play them.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2014-12-15 at 08:38 AM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh, they made a Donkey Kong game? Yeah, that's a given then, my brother loved every single one he played so far.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I've also heard that Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 are very good, but have yet to play them.
    I can vouch for Pikmin 3 being great. To be totally honest, I preferred Pikmin 2, but Pikmin 3 is still good.

Beyond that, Resident Evil Revelations is on Wii U (among others).
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Super Mario 3D World is a good platformer... sort of a blend of 2D Mario games (particularly World and 3) and the 3D ones (i.e. Mario 64). Plus, like the New Super Mario Bros games, it has 4-person sabotage co-op, and unlike NSMB you get Peach (complete with hover) instead of 2 Toads.

Mario Kart 8 is also a good game if you like multiplayer games in general and/or Mario Kart in particular.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I'll second Mario Kart 8 for certain.

New Super Mario Brothers U is good, it's the more traditional 2D Mario as opposed to the 3D you get in 3D world.

I don't own it, but I've heard lots of praise for Hyrule Warriors. Hardly the most complex of gameplay, but it's very cathartic.

Unfortunately, most of the best games for Wii and Wii U are First-party games, and Nintendo never seems to let the price drop on them.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    I'll second Mario Kart 8 for certain.

New Super Mario Brothers U is good, it's the more traditional 2D Mario as opposed to the 3D you get in 3D world.

I don't own it, but I've heard lots of praise for Hyrule Warriors. Hardly the most complex of gameplay, but it's very cathartic.

Unfortunately, most of the best games for Wii and Wii U are First-party games, and Nintendo never seems to let the price drop on them.
    Nintendo might not drop their own prices, but stores certainly do. Some of those titles might still be on shelves with attractive clearance prices.

As for Mighty 101, I was sent a demo and couldn't figure anything out. Maybe I should have read the electric manual (can't stand 'em.)

If the WiiU's connected with a Nintendo Connect (or whatever) account, he's probably also been given a one-day pass for the WiiU sports thing as well.

I recommend Game and Wario, though. Silly small-game fun that takes full advantage of WiiU features and has a very nice Pictionary-type game that's fun for friends and relatives. Lots of odd little widgets also get unlocked.
    Pikmin 3 is great, but I'd like it better if it had the whimsical element of finding more Planet stuff instead of fruit. Fruit's nice, just kinda boring.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Rayman Legends is really good if you don't have it on another console already. I have it on PS3 myself, but Wii U is what it was originally designed for iirc.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    Pikmin 3 is great, but I'd like it better if it had the whimsical element of finding more Planet stuff instead of fruit. Fruit's nice, just kinda boring.
    I like Pikmin 3 as well, but honestly it feels much shorter than 2.

It might just be my childhood talking, but it felt like there was more stuff to do in 2 and lacking a ticking clock really opened up the game for me, personally.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Hyrule Warriors is ridiculously fun hack-and-slash. Big fan.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

I've been playing Hyrule Warriors a lot lately. It's a good kind of mindless grindy game. If you know what to expect from that and enjoy the genre, it's probably worthwhile.

I'd also second Rayman Legends, the various Mario games, Donkey Kong, etc... All good recommendations.

Obviously, Smash Brothers: Uhhh.. Brouhaha is also a good choice.

Also, if you're up for the virtual console stuff there's a lot of good stuff out for it. I don't know if the Wii U shop has the entire catalog the Wii had, but if it does Toejam & Earl is a pretty fun game I'd recommend to people.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Not so much for local multiplayer, but I was under the impression there was a good following of people that absolutely adored Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I'm... Not of that group, so someone else is better to sing its praises, but it was a launch title, so you might find good prices on it.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

There's the paint shooter (Splattersomething). I have only heard good things about it, and it looked promising.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Sounds like you're thinking of Splatoon. However, that won't be out for another couple of months.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Sounds like you're thinking of Splatoon. However, that won't be out for another couple of months.
    That's the one. I was thinking it was out already, apparently not.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Not so much for local multiplayer, but I was under the impression there was a good following of people that absolutely adored Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I'm... Not of that group, so someone else is better to sing its praises, but it was a launch title, so you might find good prices on it.
    I got the game due to its praise. It was alright. For a combat-oriented game, the combat was too slow and clunky for me.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Xenoblade always comes up for Wii games that might have been missed. Virtual Console has Earthbound and Super Metroid and a lot of Kirby, if you want any of those. They recently added a bunch of Mega man, too, though I'm not sure which ones are good (haven't played many of the platformers, and they decided to go with BN1 and BCC for their BN entries, but I know 2 and Zero were good).
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gravity View Post
    I like Pikmin 3 as well, but honestly it feels much shorter than 2.

It might just be my childhood talking, but it felt like there was more stuff to do in 2 and lacking a ticking clock really opened up the game for me, personally.
    *sigh* I really should get Pikmin 2... I've gotten all 30 parts in the first one in like, 26 days? I can't remember if it the four was 24, or four days to spare.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I liked 3 - there's technically a timer, but it's a very lenient one. I think I ended it with like 40 bottles left, and I didn't go for 100%, and was a lot less efficient than I could have been. It's just enough of a timer that you can't afford to completely ignore the fruit, but if you ignored all the fruit and just ran for the plot you'd probably be ending most days before noon anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bayonetta 2 is excellent, and I'd third(?) Hyrule Warriors as being entertaining. There's not much content for the Wii U, at least not over here in the UK, which makes recommendations difficult. At least you can play old Wii games on it, Okami comes to mind in particular.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I was just going to post this topic; the wife and i got ourselves a Wii U two days ago (Smash Bro's bundle).

Rayman and Mario Carts looks good. I am also looking for the bundle with 8bit classic games I saw online but haven't ordered yet.

Bayonetta? *ARgH*. I looked at the intro and some let's plays and I get rashes just from looking at it... So... completely... Japanese. And by that I mean incoherent fighting, nausea-inducing action and over the top weirdness (in a bad way, unlike Rayman) and... stuff.

In other news I still suck at Fighting Games. I spent yesterday playing Super Smash Bros and let' just say I haven't gotten any better since last time I played a fighting game (some odd 20 years ago).
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2014-12-22 at 10:09 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Donkey Kong and Cart looks good. So does a few indie games, like the steam digger or whatever it's called.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

So, for a platformer, what is recommended?

The way I see it there are a few of them I am interested in:

Epic Mickey 1 and 2.
    Rayman (the newest)
    The new Donkey Kong
    Or one of the two Marios.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    So, for a platformer, what is recommended?
    1. Go to the Wii U's Virtual Store.
    2. Buy Super Metroid.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-12-23 at 09:19 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    1. Go to the Wii U's Virtual Store.
    2. Buy Super Metroid.
    Super Metroid is an exploration game, man. The platforming is very much secondary.

For a 2D platformer the Donkey Kong Country Returns games, both the Wii and WiiU one, are positively marvelous. Rayman Legends is also super duper great, but it's a game that you can usually get for seven bucks on PC during Steam Sales and such so I have trouble recommending people to buy it for full price even if it is worth it.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2014-12-24 at 04:45 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

PLatformers, and fighting games, are games I don't do on the PC since I don't have a controller and the keyboard and mouse, which is superior to a console in all other game types (IMHO) just doesn't work as well...

Thanks for the tips.

27. - Top - End - #27

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    PLatformers, and fighting games, are games I don't do on the PC since I don't have a controller and the keyboard and mouse, which is superior to a console in all other game types (IMHO) just doesn't work as well...

Thanks for the tips.
    As long as "all other games" are confined to FPS and RTS, and games which control identically to those two, at least :P

Keyboard and mouse does certain things very well, but almost everything else really badly. Controllers do almost everything at least acceptably and certain things (RTS) very badly.

For the majority of games, even on a PC, it's better to plug a controller in.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    As long as "all other games" are confined to FPS and RTS, and games which control identically to those two, at least :P

Keyboard and mouse does certain things very well, but almost everything else really badly. Controllers do almost everything at least acceptably and certain things (RTS) very badly.

You forgot about 1000 genres there...

RPGs, Turn based games, adventure games... etc etc.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post

A lot of this is personal preference. I generally find TBS games (particularly those without a hard grid system) vastly easier with a keyboard and mouse, anything with extensive menus better with a keyboard and mouse, and anything involving a fair amount of aiming better with a keyboard and mouse. There are also some platformers clearly made for arrow keys that are better with a keyboard (e.g. Dustforce). FPS and RTS are two examples where it really stands out. Flight simulators also tend to have lots of buttons and work better with a keyboard and mouse, though a keyboard and joystick is better yet.

-- ChubbyRain

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed, simulator games (flight / submarine etc) NEEDS a full keyboard.