New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Light, Shadow, and Legend: A Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Beccause I wasn't expecting the Overheat in the first place. Guess I got just a little bit cocky.

That also means it's time to vote for the new team member. I'll leave you guys to that.
    Let's go with Drake. You should use Water types.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

I agree that you should use Drake, though he needs some serious training to catch up.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

*Insert obligatory apology to everyone for letting this die*

*Insert obligatory thanks to Glyphstone for letting me necro this*

So... we're back. Finally. Oh, and I rewrote chapter 13 because it sucked. And I should update the roster on the front page. I'll get to that within a week.

Chapter 21: The Morning After
    Spoiler
    Show

I woke up with dried tears running down my face and horrible memories. For a moment I dared to hope that it had all been a dream, to hope that yesterday had been nothing but my mind playing tricks on itself. But then I saw the badge. It was no dream. Petey was dead.

It took a long, long time for me to drag myself to my feet and out to the lobby.

Excues me, sir. called the receptionist. I mumbled something along the lines of an acknowledgement back.

This came in for you last night. she said, handing me an envelope. I mumbled something again, and made my way over to the corner, where I tore the envelope open and found a letter inside.

Michael,

I am truly sorry for your loss, and share your grief. I have lost Pokemon before, but never under circumstances like yours. The death of Petey has removed any doubt from my mind as to your status in the world. The universe has indeed set you aside for a special purpose, blessed with a destiny of greatness, but cursed with the knowledge that you friends’ lives are forfeit should they be defeated.

Please do not let this tragedy stop you. You are meant to do something of great importance, but your destiny will not come to meet you. You must reach out and seize it instead, for your sake, for the world’s sake, and for Petey’s sake.

Truly yours,

Flanney

Bitch. I growled under my breath, rage building up inside me. Trying to get away with killing Petey by blaming it on some “destiny” crap.

I’m gonna march right back in there and remind her what it feels like to have your Pokemon die in your arms.

I’m gonna-

Michael!

May?

She came running up to me, waving wildly until she was sure I’d noticed her.

I didn’t want her to see me like this, so I turned away to hide the murder in my eyes. May, sorry, this isn’t a good time.

Hitting the gym?

Yeah, sorta…

Michael, what’s wrong?

Nothing. I’ve never been a good liar.

Michael, talk to me. This isn’t like you.

I sighed and held out my right arm behind me, offering the letter crumpled in my clenched fist. I felt a slight tug as she took hold of it, and I relented just enough for her to slide it out of my grip. She was silent for a minute before asking She died?

Yeah… I said, somewhere between a whisper and a grunt.

Michael, I’m so sorry.

Being sorry won’t bring Petey back. I retorted.

Then why are you going to go make Flannery feel sorry?

I didn’t say that.

You didn’t need to. Michael, revenge isn’t going to help you or Petey. Don’t do this.

Then what? I turned towards her, gesticulating violently What the hell am I supposed to do?!

She shied back a step I… I don’t know, Michael. She looked down at the letter again. What’s this about a destiny?

Some Tauros**** they’ve been throwing at me since I went up against Roxanne.

They?

The leaders. Something about auras and fate and the universe being sadistic. I don’t know what they’re talking about and frankly I don’t give a damn. If they want to keep killing my friends and blame it on some fate or meaning of life or whatever the hell they want to call it, they’re going to have a hell of a time getting away with it.

You know what you need then?

What?

Answers.

He’ll be straight with you. He’ll tell you what you want to know.

I closed my eyes, grimaced, and braced my fingers against my forehead, trying to come up with a counter. Something that defeated her reasoning. Something that I could use to justify rampaging through that gym with a set of angry Pokemon. But no matter how hard I tried, her logic was devoid of any flaw I could find. Fine. I surrendered, I’ll talk to him.

Then she did the last thing I would have expected her to do. She hugged me. Her arms wrapped around my chest, and my body suddenly remembered that it was in the middle of an adrenaline rush. I stood there for a moment, shocked, and then the weight of what had happened yesterday crashed down on me again, and I returned the embrace, gripping her tightly as tears welled up under my eyelids. Michael, she said, it’s going to be alright.

For the life of me, I can’t tell you how long we stood there in front of the gym, arms locked around each other, salt water running down my face and onto her shoulder. I wonder what the people walking by thought of us standing there, probably looking like a pair of last-chance lovers reunited. I’m glad Azgard didn’t see it; he would have never stopped coming up with jokes about it.

Finally, I managed to stop bleeding tears, and I let go of her, wiping my eyes with my sleeve. May let go of me, leaving an imprint on my nerves, and looked into my eyes.
    You alright? She asked.

Yeah. I answered, meaning it this time. I’ll be okay.

She smiled. C’mon. Let’s get you some breakfast.

We made our way to a small diner, one of those breakfast-all-day joints that put out more pancakes in an hour than most people ate in their lifetimes. We both got something that came with way too much syrup, and I told May everything I knew about what the leaders had been telling me. I told her the whole story, starting with Jane Locke, and ending with Petey. Everything they had told me about the universe giving me a special role and combining it with the burden of watching my friends die. She hardly said a word through it all, sitting there with her pancakes hardly touched, much like mine.

…and that’s when you showed up. I said, bringing the story to a close. She sighed before finally letting out a

Wow… I… I don’t know what to say, Michael. Talk to your dad. Get some answers.

I will. Thanks, May.

She smiled. Anytime.

Say, once I get Dad’s badge, that’ll leave Fortree as the next gym. Want to meet me out at, say, route 119? I can get you up to speed on what the hell this whole aura thing is.

Sure. I’ll see you there, Michael.

She paid for our hardly-eaten breakfast, and we parted ways at the door. She had work to do for her dad, and I needed to have a talk with mine.

Characters that speak in this chapter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Michael
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

4. - Top - End - #214

No pokemon battles!? 0/10. Would not read again

On a serious note. So I guess pokemon can't hear outside their poke-balls?

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Just read through this nuzlocke. I've been laughing my ass off, seriously. Kudos to you on your humor in this. Just a couple of nitpicks.

When you rewrote chapter 13, you put it in chapter 14's place, so now both versions of chapter 13 are up and 14 is unavailable.

During the chapter you pulled Lidda from the box, you had half her sentence when she came out in her own color and the other half in your color.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

*Headdesk*

Fourtunately, I keep backups on my computer, so I went and fixed everything to how it should be. Now to just fix the dialogue color.

Good to see people are still reading this.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

I have to say, you've a very talented writer. I've at times been laughing hysterically at Lidda's or another pokemon's antics, and I have to admit I've also shed a tear at times, especially during the death of Petey and the aftermath.

I just have to ask, though; how often do you plan to continue updating this? The most recent two updates were 4 months apart. Not really sure if I want to try to chip in my 2 cents on voting on names and personalities, or party makeup, if I'm not going to see the results until next year

That said, I think I'll still chip my 2 cents in here anyway. Since we've defeated a gym leader, we probably have a new set of pokemon available for catching. Could we know what they are?

With Petey dead ( ), and no immediate water replacement (magikrap, lol), I would vote that, if a water pokemon is not caught in the next available area, that Mr Spore be boxed (It is entirely too risky for him to remain in the main team with the spores controlling his body. Who knows what they'll do?), and Lady Il be brought in along with Victoria. If not, then Drake is going to need some heavy training.

Also, I move that at the earliest opportunity, Lidda 'finds' the Surf HM in your pack and figures out how to use it. And thereafter spends every possible moment frolicking in the water. And using it to hose down fire pokemon, in Petey's memory.
    Last edited by Shadou; 2013-07-27 at 02:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

All suggestions counted, and I plan to begin updating this weekley or biweekley now that I've remotivated myself (loosing Petey happened to coincide with Photobucket turning into crap, forcing me to find a new host). And frankly, it's good to see that there's someone out there who likes the early chapters. (Personally, I think just about everything before this latest chapter is crap.)

9. - Top - End - #219

All suggestions counted, and I plan to begin updating this weekley or biweekley now that I've remotivated myself (loosing Petey happened to coincide with Photobucket turning into crap, forcing me to find a new host). And frankly, it's good to see that there's someone out there who likes the early chapters. (Personally, I think just about everything before this latest chapter is crap.)
    Ah, the curse of the writer.

And I remember that, I hated the new photobucket.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

I'd still like to see a list of the upcoming available pokemon in the next areas we'll be exploring.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: So, how is this going?

(i.e. reviving with permission)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Did I say two weeks? No, I could do two weeks when I was running around making things up as I went along. Now that I've got to sit down and think about things... Oh, who am I kidding? Yep, I procrastinated again.

Chapter 22: Newly Estranged Father: Norman
    Spoiler
    Show
    *SLAM*

I threw the door to the final room open, Azgard, Lidda and Blackstar filing through the door after me, leaving a trail of gym trainers attending to their battered Pokemon. A lone figure stood at the far end of the Pokemon battle field that dominated the room, his gaze squarely locked on me as I approached the challenger’s position opposite him.

Dad. We need to talk.

He paused before answering, several seconds of deafening silence that stretched off into eternity as we gazed into each other’s eyes from across the arena. Finally, my dad broke the silence.

Michael, you’ve finally made it.

Spare me the gym speech, dad. I need some mewdamn answers.

Answers to what?

You know damn well what! This whole game with auras and destiny and my friends dying! What the hell is this?!

Michael, calm down. I’ll tell you. Roxanne was… premature in telling you about the auras. The abilities of the gym leaders has always been a closely guarded secret.

So all the mystic crap is for real, then?

Yes. The world is a much more complicated place than most people ever know. Most go through life experiencing only what they can feel with their five senses. But much, perhaps even most of our world exists above or below or just out of their sight.

What do you mean?

He paused before replying. It’s… how do I describe it? There’s a world within the shadows of our world. It’s still our world, but outside what everyone sees in their day-to-day lives. In our world, we have knowledge, science, technology; things that everyone knows at least a little bit about. But there are also those things that hide in the corners of reality. Abilities that would be thought of as magic. Creatures and objects that defy explanation. And on top of it all, factions that use these things to influence the world as man knows it.

Wait, you’re telling me the the Illuminati are real? I asked, trying to figure out how long it was going to be before this started making sense.

Not quite. There are a few organizations that could fill that description, but most prefer to be left with their secrets, only influencing the public when their security is in question. I don’t expect you to understand this, Michael, and I certainly don’t expect you to believe me yet, but keep your eyes open. Notice things in this world. Do some thinking, and eventually the truth will start falling into place.

No. You are not kicking me back out the door with that. You are going to tell me what the hell this shadow world of yours is.

*sigh* Alright, Michael. You want to know more? Beat me, and I’ll tell you more.

You kill one of mine, I kill all of yours.

Your choice, your consequence.

Dad had always had a thing for normal-type Pokemon. Something about how they required more skill to win with, due to the type having no real advantages over any other. Then again, deliberately handicapping yourself wasn’t the best battle strategy.

Ninja blade strike!

Ninja vanish!

Ninj-

You… you son of a-Lidda! Kill ‘im!

There were no words for how much I wanted to personally beat that thing to death. Instead, I settled for Lidda pounding away at it.

She went for the throat, her teeth and claws going about their work, and made certain that the Slaking would never battle again.

Alright, Azgard, take this bastard out!

All over it.

Hang in there!

The hit knocked Azgard back a good ten feet, sending him sprawling to the ground with the unmistakable sound of breaking bones. He coughed a red haze before struggling back to his feet. Get a hand?

Yeah, here!

That was when I knew I had this one settled. That was Focus Punch, the biggest gun in his arsenal, but it took a long time to get the swing angled right, that combined with how slow and uncoordinated Slaking were, he wasn’t going to get another shot at it.

And it can be very hard to concentrate when being beaten to a bloody pulp.

Of course, dad was never without another potion on hand.

We did the same song and dance, finally bringing the bastard down, his entrails showing to all the world.

Lidda beat down on the last Pokemon without mercy, never giving it a second to catch its breath.

Then she rammed it in the spine, and with a definitive “crack” it slumped into a heap, unmoving.

I’d done it. I’d beaten my dad, and more importantly, earned the answers he had promised. All it had cost me was another friend.

Thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show

I knew I should have used that potion. It's going to be a long second half of the game...
    Last edited by RagingKrikkit; 2014-06-17 at 11:13 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223

You're lucky Azgard wasn't killed also.

Granted at this point I was several levels over, so I really can't say anything.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Normally I would have ground everyone to level 31, but as I was looking at the Bulbapedia entry, I thought "why don't I do it at equal level?"

15. - Top - End - #225

That's why I always go as high as I feel I'm not cheating myself for

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I noticed that you tend to do that. For me, though, it just feels right to go in with about the same level.

17. - Top - End - #227

Yeah, I noticed that you tend to do that. For me, though, it just feels right to go in with about the same level.
    To be fair. Most of my overleveling is because grinding the reserves tends to give the main team a few levels. And I can't exactly de-level.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Then reserve grind before you grind the mains.

19. - Top - End - #229

Then reserve grind before you grind the mains.
    Well that is what I do. And am doing. If you read Blazing hate you'll see me slowly lose my sanity from having to grind 45 pokemon of varying levels to level 66.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

That reminds me, I should do a grinding session.

Alright, I'm going to grind the team, plus Drake and Blackstar's replacement up to 31, along with 6 more that you can argue over.

21. - Top - End - #231

That reminds me, I should do a grinding session.

Alright, I'm going to grind the team, plus Drake and Blackstar's replacement up to 31, along with 6 more that you can argue over.
    Wait, Drake died during grinding?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

No, Drake (Petey's replacement) and *Insert fan vote* (Blackstar's replacement). If Drake had died, I would have said "Drake and Blackstar's replacements.

23. - Top - End - #233

Ah. Then I think you only have 7 reserves. I.e Blackstar's replacement, and 6 more.

For Blackstar's replacement go with either Victoria, or Theta-one

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Victoria was already part of the team. Available reserves are:
    William
    Mr. Spore
    Mumbles
    Plus
    Lady Il
    Theta-One
    Romeo
    Lounge
    and whatever's in the egg.

25. - Top - End - #235

Victoria was already part of the team. Available reserves are:
    William
    Mr. Spore
    Mumbles
    Plus
    Lady Il
    Theta-One
    Romeo
    Lounge
    and whatever's in the egg.
    I think you need to do some editing of the first post then.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Very much agreed. I'll get around to that tomorrow (which will be in an hour anyway)

27. - Top - End - #237

Very much agreed. I'll get around to that tomorrow (which will be in an hour anyway)
    It's already tomorrow!

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Humans are always moving towards the future, but never get there. Whenever we make it to the future, we find ourselves in the present.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Character manifest has finally been updated.

30. - Top - End - #240

Theta-one for your new teammate.

Grind all of the reserves except for Plus