New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [BitP:R] Gaiden: Surrendering is for fools and animals!

[Soul Society, at an undetermined time]

11th division training grounds. A secluded location.

Kazuma sits on his knees here. His eyes are blindfolded. Surrounding him are twelve lit candles, unperturbed by any wind.

This is the place he asked Masaru to come for his lessons. He wanted to show his new sensei exactly what kind of training methods he'd been using up until now.

Suddenly, he takes one step forward. Or at least it seems like a step forward. In reality, he'd drawn his sword and dealt a circular slash. Along his blade are the wickers of each candle, still ablaze as though they hadn't just been cut off from their source of energy. Just as quickly, the sword returns to its original position, and so do the flames. Closer inspection reveals that the flames weren't re-lit; instead, the wickers were returned to their place as if they'd never been struck.

Modoshi-giri, the "Return of the Cut". It's a technique that's spoken of as legend in the mortal world. Supposedly, only a handful of swordsmen were able to execute it at all, and even so only by hand - their secrets were buried with them. Kazuma's version is clearly fairly simplistic in presentation, but the fact that he's able to execute it at all speaks volumes about his concentration. And the fact that he can pull it off on twelve targets at once calls to attention the steadiness of his hand.

This is what Masaru arrives in time to see.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [BitP:R] Gaiden: Surrendering is for fools and animals!

"Impressive. Most impressive. It took me two decades of dedicated practice to get all the wicks back in place. Another three years to be able to use my secondary blade."

Masaru walks over slowly, his left hand casually resting on the hilts of his paired swords, his right arm tucked behind his back. He walks a slow circle around Kazuma's circle of training.

"Only a couple of drops of wax. Yes, you're definitely ready to begin training in the ways of the Dai-jieikai. We will begin the training here. In time, we will move to the best place for the training, but at the moment it is still being prepared."

He stopped directly in front of Kazuma.

"The first thing we must do, however, is determine which style, or perhaps styles, would be the best fit for you. The ways of the Dai-jieikai must be carefully considered, and one must not choose a style that clashes with mind, heart, and body. To do so is as good as falling on your blade."
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

"I know precious little of the ways of the Dai-Jieikai. Only that which you and Ryouichi-soutaichou demonstrated to me. As such, I would need your counsel on what style I am to learn."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    "I know precious little of the ways of the Dai-Jieikai. Only that which you and Ryouichi-soutaichou demonstrated to me. As such, I would need your counsel on what style I am to learn."
    Masaru nods faintly.

"Ultimately, I cannot tell you which style would be best. I can speculate, I can give an opinion, but you yourself must choose your path. To do that, I must lay out the possible paths before you."

He walked around a bit until he was directly in front of Kazuma before settling himself on the floor.

"Now, understand that what I am about to give is a rough outline only. I can most certainly answer any questions you have about each style, but please allow me to finish my explanation of each before doing so."

With that, he began to explain six of the seven styles of the Dai-jieikai, giving a basic overview of the style, method, and philosophy behind each, answering Kazuma's questions as they went.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

"Hmmm. To be frank, my impression is that each of these styles seem to fit swordsmen with different physiques. Of the styles presented, Hirougata and Zenmetsugata seem to fit my usual mindset more easily... though I am much less enthused about defense than I probably should be."

If Masaru had glanced at the report of his fight with Qing Di, it should be perfectly clear. And then there were their sparring sessions.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Hmmm. To be frank, my impression is that each of these styles seem to fit swordsmen with different physiques. Of the styles presented, Hirougata and Zenmetsugata seem to fit my usual mindset more easily... though I am much less enthused about defense than I probably should be."

If Masaru had glanced at the report of his fight with Qing Di, it should be perfectly clear. And then there were their sparring sessions.
    "I will beat the enthusiasm into you."

Masaru's face and tone is deadly serious.

"Even if you devote yourself entirely to the Path of the Dragon, I will make you learn to defend yourself, or I will stop teaching you.

If you are going to learn the ways of the Dai-jieikai, you will learn to be more careful when you allow yourself to be injured.

If you study with me, you will begin to cast aside fighting for its own sake, fighting for only your own pride. Violence must be subordinate to a cause, Kazuma-san. Violence and power unchecked are the foundation of the Suzume Shigumi.
    We Dai-jieikai use our skills in spars, to increase our skills, to help our brethren better themselves, and to understand the world, our swords, and our hears better. We user our skills in fights to protect.

What you did in Zaraki was mostly for protection. But the way you went about those fights had a great deal of needless pride.
    "

He narrowed his eyes a bit.

"This, too, we will beat out of you.

You are the first new student of this most prestigious of schools, Amagatsu Kazuma. And you will become a student worthy of that school. You are closer than many, but you are not there yet.
    "

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

"I will make no excuses about my behavior. I did what I thought was best at the time. Though I attained good results, I know how I must have looked." Kazuma admitted. "I do know I should improve my defense, take better care of myself. Reikiku made sure to remind me I was being selfish with the way I fought. It's a long road to make the heart listen to the mind, however - even if it is a road I intend to travel."

Kazuma looked up to Masaru. "As of right now, I feel like I'm still seeking something, or someone, to protect. My heart is still... a bit lost."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Admitting a mistake is the first step to eliminating it from future possibilities. It shows a willingness to learn that will be needed. Perhaps we won't need to beat you as much as I initially thought. Which is good."

He shifted in place a bit, his eyes searching Kazuma's, trying to discern what he could about his new student.

"I cannot give you the purpose you need, Kazuma-san. Only you can find it and grab hold of it. There is no shame in soul-searching, though. We will equip you as best we can. The rest will be in your hands."

He rolled his shoulders...

And suddenly a small pebble was flying at breakneck speed toward Kazuma's forehead.

"Think fast."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

"Think fast"? Really?

Kazuma knows better than to intercept te rock. It has all the classic signs of a diversionary tactic. So he merely weaves his head to the side, keeping his eyes on Masaru all the while as the pebble hits the wall behind him.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Think fast"? Really?

Kazuma knows better than to intercept te rock. It has all the classic signs of a diversionary tactic. So he merely weaves his head to the side, keeping his eyes on Masaru all the while as the pebble hits the wall behind him.
    Shockingly, there's not a follow-up attack. Instead, Masaru nods faintly.

"Good reflexes. I imparted a fair bit of velocity to that pebble, yet you were able to move only your head and completely dodge it. That's a good foundation for the Paths of the Bear and the Dragon. Which, I think, is how we will approach this.

From what I have seen, you are naturally more suited to Zenmetsugata. Your style of fighting, temperament, and so on fit it well. I think that, given time, you will surpass even my skill in that style. Which is all well and good.
    "

He frowned at his student.

"But as the list of injuries from your fights in Zaraki show, you have an underdeveloped sense of what to do with projectiles. I would think that fight shows you cannot simply "tank" whatever you get shot with. Poisons, tranquilizers, and other nasty things on arrowheads can bring down a Shinigami who might fight a dozen men bare-handed.
    I will teach you how to stop arrows with your sword. Bullets, if you are good enough. I will teach you how to best dodge them. And even how to catch them from the air. If you do it right, these principles might apply to some forms of Kido, as well.
    "

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

"I can't really argue against that. It wasn't so much trying to 'tank' my way through as it was a reckless tactic in that specific fight, though.

My opponent was a sniper. He was confident that the ability to fight from a hidden locale would destabilize me mentally. I felt compelled to prove him wrong. To that end, I chose to ignore as much of his assault as I could.

But I gravely underestimated the skill of my opponent prior to the sniper's involvement. I find that to be a much worse mistake, even if it's just my opinion.

Remember when I first asked you to be my partner at shogi? It was my way of trying to improve my thinking back then."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"I can't really argue against that. It wasn't so much trying to 'tank' my way through as it was a reckless tactic in that specific fight, though.

My opponent was a sniper. He was confident that the ability to fight from a hidden locale would destabilize me mentally. I felt compelled to prove him wrong. To that end, I chose to ignore as much of his assault as I could.

But I gravely underestimated the skill of my opponent prior to the sniper's involvement. I find that to be a much worse mistake, even if it's just my opinion.

Remember when I first asked you to be my partner at shogi? It was my way of trying to improve my thinking back then."
    "I do remember, yes. And I do believe you have improved.

It's just that you have room to grow.

As for ignoring his assault, my goal would be that you could very casually dismiss attacks such as his. Similar result, less risk.

I think you've learned why underestimating an opponent is a bad thing to do. Then again...from what you've said, your opponent's training may have traces of the Suzume Shigume present. Without a "sample" it is difficult to say.
    "

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

"I think it's safe to say he had been trained in those techniques. That autohypnosis he seemed to put himself through... it's unlike anything I've ever seen, and it doesn't feel like something the Dai-Jieikai would approve, from your description of it."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"I think it's safe to say he had been trained in those techniques. That autohypnosis he seemed to put himself through... it's unlike anything I've ever seen, and it doesn't feel like something the Dai-Jieikai would approve, from your description of it."
    "Most worrisome indeed.

If we hypothesize for a moment that this is the case, it means we need to be wary. The Suzume Shigume ran a plot that was centuries long, solely to kill off the Dai-Jieikai. They nearly succeeded. It is our solemn duty to see that they do not come even close to succeeding ever again. Of course, at the moment all we have is rumor and speculation.

Perhaps the efforts you have me volunteering for in the Rukon will yield a few results.

Still. Perhaps we are thinking too much on such things.

So. Where would you like to begin?
    "

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

"I do believe it is not the place of the student to tell the master what, where, or how to teach, sensei." Kazuma answers earnestly. "Should these training grounds not prove satisfactory, however, I do have a more secluded training location I could share."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Fujiwara Akira - Secluded 11th Division Training Grounds

A location may be secluded, provided the people heading in and out of the area could avoid being followed.

For a master like Akira, following is not a challenge, staying hidden is child's play. The real challenge is the reveal at the best possible and meaningful moment.

Listening in to the banter between student and teacher, or to Akira, a potential student she lost to her fellow peer, Akira nods thoughtfully at the self-hypnosis that Kazuma described. This is suspiciously close to medical kido designed for deep subconscious work.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"I do believe it is not the place of the student to tell the master what, where, or how to teach, sensei." Kazuma answers earnestly. "Should these training grounds not prove satisfactory, however, I do have a more secluded training location I could share."
    Masaru shook his head.

"I cannot teach you all the styles I know at once. I had to learn them one at at time, and only then could I discover how they best fit together for myself.

You will have to discover that puzzle on your own. But for now, tell me which style you wish to learn first. Despite what your natural tendencies are, you may yet have a hidden spark of talent for defense we can fan into a flame. We shall have to see.
    "

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

"Well then..." he paused as if to say, "if you insist", "...I believe we should begin with my weaknesses first. The Path of the Bear seems most suited to defense; as such, it would be my first choice."

Kazuma still seems uncertain, though. Perhaps he is a little too rigid about what the relationship of master and student should be.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Well then..." he paused as if to say, "if you insist", "...I believe we should begin with my weaknesses first. The Path of the Bear seems most suited to defense; as such, it would be my first choice."

Kazuma still seems uncertain, though. Perhaps he is a little too rigid about what the relationship of master and student should be.
    Masaru gave a nod, gracefully getting back to his feet.

"Stand up."

Now his voice carried nothing but authority, that of a teacher and a student. When Kazuma had stood, Masaru began to walk around him. After a few long moments, he began to give Kazuma instructions, his voice brooking no disagreement.

"Widen you stance. No, wider. Too wide. Perfect. Shift your left foot back a couple of inches. Shift the right foot at a slight angle...Good. Now, draw your sword."

It continued for several moments until Kazuma had achieved the beginner's stance of the Path of the Bear.

"You will maintain this stance for 120 seconds. You will then assume a "casual" stance for a minute. Then you will have 15 seconds to re-assume this stance. After those 15 seconds, I will correct the imperfections. We will continue the exercise, shortening how long you hold the stance and lengthening how long you stay outside of it, until you can assume it in the blink of an eye after sitting down all day. Footwork matters in every Path, but for the Bear, your footwork is your foundation as you become an untouchable mountain. You won't learn a single stroke more of this style until this is perfect."

His voice is not cruel, but it is firm, like a steel gauntlet under a thin velvet covering. It is clear he will brook no disagreement on these instructions if Kazuma intends to be his student.

Apparently, the casual conversation mode only lasted until Kazuma told him what he felt he wanted to learn first.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Perhaps to Masaru's surprise, Kazuma actually seems significantly more relaxed in attitude as his instruction becomes more firm.

While standing still, he keeps his eyes closed to concentrate, though his gaze seems fixed forward. Whenever given the order to take a casual stance, he opens his eyes again and takes in deep breaths. Whenever told to resume the stance he was just taught, he makes sure to waste no movement, though he seems to correct himself to the best of his ability.

Seems the 11th divisioner has no trouble with the basics.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Minor nitpick, KD. In swordsmanship it is customary to teach a stance and follow it with movement exercises - walk forward, backstep, etc. - so as to teach one's body to reassume it naturally.

Course, Masaru could take the much more painstaking approach of teaching Kazuma to stand still, THEN move, THEN attack/defend.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Masaru takes note of Kazuma's apparent relaxation, and speaks on it.

"I'm glad you're willing to learn, Kazuma. But you have to understand. It is a fundamental treatise of the Dai-jieikai that no one can tell you what style is best.

If at any time you feel the Path of the Bear clashes with your heart and your hand, that any more learning of the style would be effectively wasted because it doesn't feel right, you must tell me immediately. I will not waste these ancient teachings because you think teachers should never listen to their students. The Dai-jieikai realize that teachers learn as much as the students.

So if I have to, I'll make it a standing order for you to communicate with me about this. Now, good work on your initial stance. I'll show you the basic kata that are connected to it.
    "

And he did, showing Kazuma some of the basic movements, both of feet and of arms, in the heavily defensive style. It was likely no surprise that it emphasized staying mostly in place while you kept your body from harm.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I don't know martial arts at all.
    But since this is a comparatively non-mobile style, emphasizing the stance itself, and being able to achieve it in a split second, seems important.
    So yeah. Just go with it. I'm just trying for fancy stuff, not super-accurate unless it happens.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

"Yes, Sensei."

Kazuma was just that old-fashioned about it.

The truth was, it was obviously too early to tell if this style suited him - he was learning the basics still, step by step. He wouldn't know how well he was doing until he started trying to use the moves he was taught in an actual spar.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Watching the duo until they take some time off for a break, Akira mulls over her own actions that she will take. But like her skills, reaction can be faster than thought.

After a good time has passed in their break, Akira calls out to the duo in a projection of voice that makes it very difficult to judge where she was. But not to give them the luxury of time to even begin to figure it out, Akira's folded blade streaks towards Kazuma's stomach.

"En garde!"
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Hard to tell if he's ingraining the teachings into himself that early, if he'd expecting that all along or if his time living in Zaraki had made him used to surprise attacks, but in any case, Kazuma's blade graciously deflects the oncoming strike.

Normally he'd counter right away, but something stops him this time. As if blocking this assault surprised him somehow.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hard to tell if he's ingraining the teachings into himself that early, if he'd expecting that all along or if his time living in Zaraki had made him used to surprise attacks, but in any case, Kazuma's blade graciously deflects the oncoming strike.

Normally he'd counter right away, but something stops him this time. As if blocking this assault surprised him somehow.
    Smiling, Akira uses the deflect as a pivot point to drive two kicks towards Kazuma's chest, wondering if he would counter or just deflect.

The speed and power of the kicks would trigger a familiar and very recent memory in Kazuma, not a perfect replica but quite close.
    Last edited by Nicklance; 2012-03-01 at 08:55 AM.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

"...!!"

Kazuma's reaction is to deflect, like the strike that came before. This "deflection", however, takes the form of guarding against the kicks with the tip of the tsuka (handle) of his sword, such that the driving force behind the kicks might cause Akira to injure her foot.

Kazuma's expression is significantly more serious at this point.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'm getting involved a.)because of Masaru's instincts, b.)so he's not standing there like a rube, and c.)because of the hilarity I'm going to insert at the end. Poor Masaru...

For about two seconds, Masaru had to stand there and process what was happening. His reflexes had twitched, but the attack didn't come at him, so they didn't fully respond.

Then he moved to make sure his new student and the attacker who's just blurry enough he can't seem to place her yet didn't kill each other. Especially Kazuma.

His own swords thrust downward to pin the suddenly-familiar blade to the ground, forming an impromptu "x" over it.

Meanwhile, as his hands slipped from the grips of the sword, his own feet were dancing around, moving him into position.

Suddenly, one leg snaked out grab and redirect Akira's leg as Kazuma's sword handle worked to injure her. One of his hands redirected Kazuma's strike in such a way that his student would enter a short, harmless spin that put a bit of distance between them all.

Meanwhile, Masaru's clothing was still fluttering through the air as he ended up face-to-face with Akira, their bodies still moving as the master swordsman transformed a fight into something a bit more unique.

When he saw who he was holding so closely to himself, his entire face turned red in a blush and he stuttered as he spoke.

"A-Akira! What-uuh! What are you doing here!"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Akira smiles with a small hint of a blush. "Is this a new defensive move you've come up with Masaru-taichou?" My my..." as she taps Masaru's foot, so entangled with hers, and transfers the kinetic energy to launch his foot at Kazuma's shin.

Holding Masaru as a support and view blocker, Akira glides around his body to launch a few more kicks at Kazuma, who should now realize that despite the appearance of great force and speed, upon any impact like the earlier contact with the handle of his sword, does not carry anymore force than a tap on the shoulder.

Akira is clearly now trying to replicate Kazuma's experience with Qing Di.

"Has your memory jogged a little Kazuma-kun?"
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

This is a man that could potentially decapitate me, yet Akira-taichou completely disarms him just by being there. A stray thought comes to Kazuma's mind.

Despite the lightness of the strikes, Kazuma does not make light of them. He'd make that mistake before, with Qing Di.

"I am not so inept as to become amnesiac from a fight that only happened some days ago, Akira-taichou. I think a more important question is... why do you know those moves? I don't think you were spying in on me while I was fighting Qing Di."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nicklance View Post
    Akira smiles with a small hint of a blush. "Is this a new defensive move you've come up with Masaru-taichou?" My my..." as she taps Masaru's foot, so entangled with hers, and transfers the kinetic energy to launch his foot at Kazuma's shin.

Holding Masaru as a support and view blocker, Akira glides around his body to launch a few more kicks at Kazuma, who should now realize that despite the appearance of great force and speed, upon any impact like the earlier contact with the handle of his sword, does not carry anymore force than a tap on the shoulder.

Akira is clearly now trying to replicate Kazuma's experience with Qing Di.

"Has your memory jogged a little Kazuma-kun?"
    Unbidden, words come from his mouth, his voice soft enough only Akira should hear.

"You wouldn't believe the sorts of moves I could come up with, Akira-taichou. And I'm equally good at offense."

Then his eyes widened almost comically and he blushed deeper, still moving with her unconsciously for a moment.

Masaru can't totally help the redirect of his foot. And when he feels the actual level of force inherent in her blows, he relaxes his efforts to stifle her, and instead seemed to cooperate.
    Truly she induced madness in him.

As she spun, he spun with her, remaining silent for a time as she conversed with his new student. Then, suddenly, he applied just a bit more strength and guided their dance away from Kazuma for a moment.

"She wouldn't need to spy on you to know those moves."

His voice carries undertones of both bitterness and sadness.