New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849
Results 1,441 to 1,456 of 1456
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.5B: Taste the Rainbow (Story and Ending Discussion; Spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    But those games are based around that mechanic or engine. When Bioware's known for their storytelling, I'd expect them to build the game around the story.
    You'd think so, but most of their advertising that i remember talked about how they were going to meld rpg and shooter elements into the third game better than before.

Because if the ending is going to pretend that the theme of the game is synthetics versus organics, then it better well tie back to the moments that were actually related to that theme.

What's the narrative point of uniting the Geth and the Quarians, or helping a romance between EDI and Joker, then to have no option to argue the Starkid's disproven-in-game assertions that synthetics will always destroy organics?

I guess you could argue that Shepard being unable to think clearly due to blood loss means Shepard blindly agreed with the boss of the Reapers, with the ending as some kind of fatalistic statement on the pointlessness of one's actions. But that's such a massive tonal shift it's beyond terrible.

Ugh you've got me angry at the ending again.
    Arguing against that section of the scene requires you to expect someone to waste time arguing while they're DIEING.

Thematically, I agree, the entire scene needs to die in a hole. But that part actually makes sense: Shepard's dieing, he's not going to waste time arguing when he could be acting.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2012-05-27 at 10:59 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.5B: Taste the Rainbow (Story and Ending Discussion; Spoilers!)

Almost up to our limit. We need suggestions for new thread names.

Mass Effect 3 Ending IV: Don't Leave'm Cringing
    Mass Effect 3 Ending IV: What's Your Theme Again?
    Mass Effect 3 Ending IV: A New Hope?
    Mass Effect 3 Ending IV: Ah, Yes, Artistic Integrity...
    (Shamelessly stolen from a sig from I cannot remember whom)
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Titan in the Playground

I vote for "Ah, Yes, Artistic Integrity".
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Heh. Yeah, sure, why not.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

+1, as they say. Or maybe "like".
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thegurullamen View Post
    *snip*
    (Shamelessly stolen from a sig from I cannot remember whom)
    We have a winner, I think. Add my vote to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

+1 for: Ah Yes, "Artistic Integrity". With or without quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    You'd think so, but most of their advertising that i remember talked about how they were going to meld rpg and shooter elements into the third game better than before.
    The marketers were trying to woo over the console shooter fans to the series.

I don't know if writing was lowered in priority at Bioware during ME3, but I sure know it shouldn't be.

Arguing against that section of the scene requires you to expect someone to waste time arguing while they're DIEING.

Thematically, I agree, the entire scene needs to die in a hole. But that part actually makes sense: Shepard's dieing, he's not going to waste time arguing when he could be acting.
    The thematic and storytelling argument is the only angle that matters. This isn't a documentary about the realistic life of Commander Shepard.

Besides, Shepard is only dying because the writers shot Shep with a Harbinger laser to bring the player down to a vulnerable state. It's part of how the whole sequence sells the strongest theme of ME3, which is the player's choices don't matter.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

What Morty said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post

I don't know if writing was lowered in priority at Bioware during ME3, but I sure know it shouldn't be.
    I'd argue that the writing was great in ME3 for Rannoch and Tuchanka. Mordin's entire character arc in the ME series was superb storytelling.

The entire third act felt rushed and I choose to blame executive meddling.

10. - Top - End - #1450

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    I'd argue that the writing was great in ME3 for Rannoch and Tuchanka. Mordin's entire character arc in the ME series was superb storytelling.

I concur on all points. Everything needs more Mordin.
    Homebrew Directory
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

11. - Top - End - #1451

I concur on all points. Everything needs more Mordin.
    Agreed. I have only every cried at a video game twice in my life. One was for the ending of Republic Commando (a totally underrated game) and one was for my Renagade Shep killing Mordin. Watching him heroically struggle to the console only to die inches away broke my heart.

+1
    Last edited by LordShotGun; 2012-05-27 at 09:32 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post

Oh I agree, and Bioware's got some talented writers. But "executive meddling" ruining the third act indicates there has to be higher priorities than the storytelling quality making those decisions.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ettin in the Playground

Please include the quotation marks as well.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Please include the quotation marks as well.
    As in
    Ah yes, "artistic integrity"

Or
    "Ah yes, artistic integrity"?

Either way, got my vote. Like it needs it at this point
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #1455

(Just as a reminder, it would be Thread 3.6B or Thread III. We're still quite a few months away from getting to IV).
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

16. - Top - End - #1456

Homebrew Directory