Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Greed is Good (OOC)

It could be, Soph. Then again, I have a lot of characters I wouldn't want to be in the same room with.

Art, of course, I was forewarned of the trip. I'll work something out until you can get back. Have a good time!

Everyone else, I'm waiting for a couple more responses before I update again. If I don't have them by monday, I'll put in another update regardless.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Ongoing

Greed is Good, an adventure in breaking Wealth By Level. D&D 3.5 E6 - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Personally, Soph, I'm more amused at how every post of yours thus far has been roughly the same number of lines, with roughly the same proportion of purple to black text. I don't know why, it just tickles me.

I think this question got missed in the other thread, but how many (armed) people, roughly, are in Tallhelm's caravan? Obviously us six, but how many NPC guards or others are there who could be reasonably expected to fight?
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

LGBTitP Supporter

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

My apologies, I meant to answer that. Must have forgotten. There are 15 armed NPC guards. The other NPCs might have knives, or something, but none of them could really be expected to put up a fight.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently playing Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, and XCOM: Enemy Within

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

4. - Top - End - #64

New Hotness has been repaired - I am posting from it now.

In a strange reversal of fortunes, Old and Busted appears to have finally given in to its debilitating illness, having kept itself working just long enough for its successor to return to functionality.

Old and Busted was a true and faithful friend. I wish it well on its journey to the digital afterlife.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Huzzah! Repaired computer! Hope that means you'll be back to posting more frequently.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

6. - Top - End - #66

Well, it'll certainly help!

And, look at this.

Indrys doesn't fill the entire post-box with condescending prattle.

This week has brought many miracles, don't you think?
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh hey. A natural 20 on my spot check. =O
    Shame my modifier is only +2 with help.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

ye gods, you people and your rolls.

Oh, and I should mention, Art's character is staying with the wagons, seeing as Art is still away.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

9. - Top - End - #69

I was... really not expecting to contribute to our string of excellent Spot checks.

Color me surprised! And pleased!
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

I'm pretty sure these bandits are just going to fall victim to the wrath of the random number gods at this rate. If all our rolls were this high, we'd be kings by now.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Mine, of course, are typically low. I rolled with my dice, just in case it was really high and managed to get by all of your really high ones, but nothing doing. Die came up 2. Followed by 1.

I'll see about getting an update posted...

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

Are we mounted? Or on foot?

I'd assume the former, given how hard it'd be to chase down the horses and join the battle if we're deliberately hanging back.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, you guys are mounted, although it's not like the Caravan is going particularly fast, or left you particularly far behind. I'll get a map up at some point today.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, so, map time. At this point, the bandits have not noticed you. Grey rectangles are horses, because I can't draw. Red circles are bandits, Thorus and Cecily obviously excepted. Blue circles are caravan members. For the sake of simplicity, civilians have not been drawn. Assume they are hiding, or something. Willam and Dayne are marked seperately, because they have different skills and whatnot.

Spoiler
    Show

With that out of the way, we need some initiative rolls.
    Bandit Leader: (1d20+2)[8]
    Bandits: (1d20)[19]

Willam: (1d20)[11]
    Guards: (1d20+1)[6]
    Dayne: (1d20+4)[18]

Thorus: (1d20+2)[22]
    Glaffin: (1d20+2)[9]
    Cecily: (1d20+2)[5]
    Alec: (1d20+7)[13]
    Indrys: (1d20+3)[10]

Your group gets +1 from Thorus' aura. This has been included in these rolls. Bandits would have gotten a surprise round, but they got noticed. Sucks to be them. Though, not so much, as thanks to that roll, they still go before pretty much everyone, except Thorus.

Oh, and before anyone asks: yes, there are more wagons. Two of them contain guards, which puts four guard tokens not on the map. One of them also contains your prisoner, who is not on the map either.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-06-15 at 04:31 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

15. - Top - End - #75

As soon as I post my action, I realized my post was laughably vague; Thorus is the one attacking, not his horse. Just to avoid confusion.
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

LGBTitP Supporter

16. - Top - End - #76

...Well, I have to say, I expected that. It's just like in your last game: I roll very well until it really matters, then I do horribly. The next round with the combination of charge penalties and flat-footed-ness could be unfortunate now.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Commence operation Frakload of Dice.

Leader and Thorus' other friend are both rather dead, so they don't get any dice. Sucks to be them. The southern bandit is also dead, so no dice for him either. Everyone else gets dice.

First, the bandits.
    The three up near the top have crossbows, and aren't afraid to use them. First one shoots at Dayne, on his horse.
    (1d20+3)[11]
    damage: (1d8+1)[9][/roll]1d6[/roll]
    botched the d6, but he misses, lucky for Dayne.

second one moves down the hill, and shoots at one of the horses pulling the front wagon.
    (1d20+3)[15]
    damage: (1d8+1)[8][/roll]1d6[/roll] also botched the d6. Rolled a 3 with one of mine. 11HP to the horse.

the last one turns around, and fires his crossbow at Thorus
    (1d20+3)[7]
    damage: (1d8+1)[4]
    el missington.

The four just below them are holding shortbows, and are firing one shot each at the guards in the lead wagon. Two guards, so two shots per guard.
    At Guard A:
    (1d20)[7]
    (1d20+1)[4]
    damage:
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6+1)[3]
    failure.

At Guard B:
    (1d20+1)[15]
    (1d20+1)[15]
    damage:
    (1d6+1)[7]
    (1d6+1)[5]
    Good rolls, but they hit the cover.

The single bandit behind them moves forwards to get away from Thorus, and attempts to cast Grease on the horses pulling the lead wagon. He's got studded leather too, so 15% failure chance.
    (1d100)[72] le not failure.

assuming he passes, the horses have to make reflex saves to not fall down:
    (1d20+4)[6] le failure
    (1d20+4)[15] and le not failure. Down goes the wounded horse.

The horses belonging to the bandits Thorus killed run away. The other horsed bandit wheels around and moves in to attack him.
    (1d20)[4]
    (1d6)[2]
    he rolled a 4

The four other bandits in a line jump down the hill to hide from the guards behind the broken wagon, and take shots at Alec and Glaffin. Two each.
    Alec: (1d20+2)[14]
    (1d20+2)[13]
    damage:
    (1d6+1)[7]
    (1d6+1)[2]
    saved by the studded leather.

Glaffin: (1d20+2)[3] FAIL
    (1d20+2)[15] but that's a hit.
    damage:
    (1d6+1)[5]
    (1d6+1)[6] Glaffin takes 6 HP damage.

Which leaves two living bandits. They move near each other, and take potshots with shortbows and Indrys and Cecily. One each.

Indrys:
    (1d20+1)[8]
    (1d6)[1]

Cecily:
    (1d20+1)[11]
    (1d6)[4]
    let us never speak of these rolls again.

That's all the bandits, so let's see what they accomplish!
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-06-19 at 02:34 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Lots of bugger all, that's what they accomplish. Guards have low initiative, so they're after you guys. Except for Dayne. Willam is sort of focused on driving, so that's him out of the way.

Dayne steers his horse around the other side of the lead cart, and shoots at the bandit that shot at him.
    (1d20+2)[12]
    (1d6+1)[3]

missed. IC update shall be incoming.

UPDATE: Get ye mappe:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-06-19 at 02:59 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

19. - Top - End - #79

Much as I hate to mention it, I think both those bolts should've hit Alec. His flat-footed AC is 13, so with the charge penalty, doesn't that put him at 11 for this round? Unless the archers are firing past their range, which seems unlikely.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I guess I know who Glaffin is healing first. He may be at 2 health, but Alec is clearly in more dire straights if he got hit by both. He'd be at -2 by my count, which is pretty harsh.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

He had a surprise round, so he's not actually flat-footed. The rules might technically work that way, I'm not sure, but that would be stupid. That said, he still has -2 for the charge, which I legitimately forgot, so they do both hit.

meaning that, being unconcious, he needs a roll to see if he falls off his horse.
    (1d100)[46] let's say low numbers are bad.
    (1d6)[2]

so yes, he does fall off. 50% chance and all. Takes 2 more HP from the fall in the bargain, putting him at -4 right now.

IC post has been updated to reflect this.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-06-20 at 12:53 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I have to say with this being my first experience with 3.5 PbP, it feels good to be the healer.

Now we just have to survive long enough for the cavalry to come in.

23. - Top - End - #83

I think that I can help with that.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

It looks like Glaffin comes after Alec in the initiative roster, so I assume Alec's turn is spent lying there bleeding to death. =P On the bright side, he'll be able to get a point of health back from the fast healing feature before the spell puts him above half his total.

Also, I'm going to be gone until late next week. I'm flying out to a conference. If Alec gets an action before I'm back, he'll stay on foot and try to get closer to the crossbow bandits while using his horse as cover. Unless there're other bandits in his immediate area, in which case murder is a good alternative plan.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, thanks for the heads up. I guess that means it's time for more rolls, and a new map, since with Alec out for his round everyone we need has already posted. The fast healing from Thorus means he doesn't even need to roll and see if he bleeds out - he goes up one point, is stabilised by the magic healing aura, and then Glaffin uses a heal, putting him at 3HP.

Also, it seems I need will saves for that pair of bandits in the middle there. They're the only ones Indrys can reach without needing to make a concentration check to keep his spell. It truly sucks to be those guys.

(1d20)[20] - well, not this guy. Good job, Bandit A!
    (1d20)[4] - You, on the other hand... no bonus for you!

So, the guards need to get their licks in. They are, predominantly, human warriors, and they have rapid reload and quick draw. Since right now they're all armed with crossbows, none of them is moving.

so let's shoot bandits. The four in the rear wagons shoot at the bandits behind the broken wagon. Those bandits have cover, so this is a trickier shot. Fortunately, they can hear Cecily singing, so they get +1.
    (1d20+1)[3]
    (1d20+1)[10]

(1d20+1)[19]
    (1d20+1)[9]
    (1d8+1)[3]
    (1d8+1)[3]

(1d8+1)[9]
    (1d8+1)[9]

one hit, and max damage to boot. Huzzah.

and the four in the upper wagons will shoot at the ones still on the hill. No cover for those guys.
    (1d20+1)[19]
    (1d20+1)[21]
    (1d20+1)[7]
    (1d20+1)[11]

(1d8+1)[6]
    (1d8+1)[5]
    (1d8+1)[3]
    (1d8+1)[8]

Better! Two hits, and I need a crit roll for that second guy.

which leaves the outriders. Those guys have swords and bows. The one at the bottom charges the bandits by the wagon.
    (1d20+3)[18]
    (1d8+1)[7]

and hits most mightily. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.

The other one can't get around the wagons, so he moves his horse up near Dayne's and takes a potshot at the bandits.
    (1d20+1)[3]
    (1d6+1)[5]
    FAILURE.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-06-22 at 04:19 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

my mistake, Alec is out of range of the aura.

so he needs a roll. (1d20)[14]

that is not a stabilise, Alec. Stop making my life difficult. He winds up at 1HP from the heal, then.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-06-22 at 05:34 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

So, critical confirmation for Mr. Fancypants guard there.
    (1d20+1)[16]
    (1d8+1)[9] - makes it. Look at you, dealing 14 damage to that bandit.

And that puts it back to Thorus, who missed, which means it is bandit time again.

Not so many of them anymore. Let's see...

the three at the top with the crossbows go Rapid Reload, and then fire again.
    one at Dayne:
    (1d20+2)[18]
    (1d8)[7] - 7HP. More than he has, and my dice apparently dislike him. He falls off his horse, and takes 4HP additional damage.

one at Willam:
    (1d20+3)[18]
    (1d8+1)[5] - 5HP. Also more than he has, but he is not on a horse. Slumps over in his seat.

and one at the guard below Willam.
    (1d20+2)[17]
    (1d8)[1]
    - Wishful thinking from him. I'm pretty sure he needed a natural 20.

then, we have the spellcaster, who does not approve of Indrys. Magic Missile!
    (1d100)[29] Failure chance. Low numbers BAD.
    (1d4+1)[3] - no failure, and that can't miss. 3HP to our valiant elf.

Thorus' dancing partner attacks with his shortsword
    (1d20)[1]
    (1d6)[2]
    - oh, horse bandit. You suck so hard.

Then, the two left out of the group on the hill, who have shortbows. They each take a shot at the horsed guard by the broken wagon.
    (1d20)[9]
    (1d6)[2]

(1d20+1)[19]
    (1d6+1)[7] - bazinga! 7HP.

Then, they move up near the crossbow group.

The two left by the wagon also shoot at the horse guard. Unlike their fellows, they do not move afterwards.
    (1d20+2)[8]
    (1d6+1)[2]

(1d20+2)[18]
    (1d6+1)[4] - 4HP. Rolled with one of my dice to see if he fell off his horse. He did. 1 more HP damage to him, for 12 total. He's dead, Jim.

Bandit A, who passed his will save, decides that discretion is the better part of valour and moves north, away from Indrys, shooting as he goes.
    (1d20+1)[20]
    (1d6+1)[4] - he's got a shortbow, so that's no crit, but it is 4HP more. That's 7 total, which matches Indrys' HP exactly. So he's not unconcious, yet. OF NOTE: At the beginning of his turn, he regains 1HP from Thorus' aura.

last, his poor friend is out of the fight for (2d4)[5] + (1d4)[4] +1 rounds. 10 total, so I think he's useless for the rest of the fight.

With the bandits done, I have one more roll to make. Dayne, assuming he is still alive, reins his horse in, and takes a shot at the crossbow bandit nearest him.
    (1d20+1)[11]
    (1d6)[3]
    - NOPE.

oh, and one other thing I forgot. The uninjured horse on the front wagon makes a strength check. My dice give me 22, which is plenty. That's going in the update.

EDIT: New and improved map, now with coordinates! One of the crossbow bandits is standing on the M. I told him that was inconsiderate, but he didn't seem to care.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-06-22 at 07:06 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

28. - Top - End - #88

Ouch! I'm tottering on the edge of consciousness!

Why, oh why did I think that charging into the middle of a battle while in the body of a squishy elf magician was a good idea?
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

only you can answer that, Soph. My guess, you had a shiny magic spell you really wanted to use.

Do note that because of Thorus' aura, you do get 1HP back at the start of your turn, so you don't need to worry about the normal consequences of 0HP.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Right, been a few days. Soph, yer gettin' autopiloted, based on the last course of action you mentioned to me. Cecily and Glaffin have owned their bandits, and Thorus has owned his. Roll to see if the bandit falls off his horse: (1d2)[2]

1 he falls, 2 he stays.

He stays. That is the first anything to stay on its horse after being knocked unconcious. Fanfare is in order.

And it's the guards! Something I aactually forgot last turn was Dayne's roll to stabilise, so that can go here.
    (1d20)[1] Epic fail.

Willam gets one too: (1d20)[10] regular fail.

The guards in the last two wagons are out of range of the bandits. They jump out, and move up. The ones in back do a double move, the ones in front make it to the broken wagon and take potshots at the two bandits nearest them.

A: (1d20+1)[12]
    (1d8+1)[7]
    - missington.

B: (1d20+1)[17]
    (1d8+1)[7] - but this guy hits. Another dead bandit.

Guard by Dayne jumps off his horse and tries to do first aid. He's untrained, but there's no special penalty for that.

(1d20)[18] - success! Dayne is no longer dying.

and the remaining four guards return fire. The two in the top wagon shoot at one crossbow bandit, and the spellcaster.

Crossbow guy: (1d20+2)[4]
    (1d8+2)[6]

Squishy Mage: (1d20+1)[10]
    (1d8+1)[8]
    - more failure.

the two in the other wagon shoot at the same crossbow bandit as the other guy, and one of the regular bandits.

Crossbow guy: (1d20+2)[15]
    (1d8+2)[9] - that's a hit, and the crossbow guy is DOWN.

Other guy: (1d20+1)[6]
    (1d8+1)[4]
    - yet more failure.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-06-26 at 02:43 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games: