Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 306

Thread: Guildmage [IC]

  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecroRebel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Elise

    Elise wakes with the birdsong, yawns, and stretches before moving behind a screen that is set up and dressing before emerging to quickly break her fast. As she finishes eating and the others wake and ready, she speaks. "We should move out quickly; if we get to the city wall early enough, we may be lucky enough to have any watchers mistake our entry as simply natural fog rising."

    As the group prepares to leave, she raises her hood and wraps her scarf around her face, which, together with a pair of goggles and her other clothes, completely covers all of her skin. Removing the unique vial from the bandolier Major Rheinstat had provided, she slides it into an empty loop at her waist, picks up her staff, and ducks out of the cabin-tent into the morning.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm staking claim to the Potion of Lifeshield I think, since I'm rather squishy with kind of low defenses and have only one immediate-action power natively.

    Also, I'm going to assume that I put my Restful Bedroom on top of my bunk last night, giving me (1d8)[7] temporary hit points until the next rest.

    Finally, I don't believe I mentioned this before, but the method I had alluded to to get over the walls involves the use of my Dominant Winds power, and at-will move action utility that lets me or an ally in a close burst 5 fly my dex modifier (5) as a free action. Basically, it takes 2 1/2 rounds to get the whole party to the top of a 25-foot obstacle with no resources spent on our part.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Flavius
    Finishing the last of his spell preparations for the day, the wizard closes his spellbook and hops up from his bed. I agree, lets seize the day while we can. I would like as much daylight for our little excursion as we can muster.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spell preparations are listed on my sheet for the day. I didn't take Sleep as I figured that undead enemies we face would possibly be immune to sleeping effects. Once we've gotten some nature checks under our belts, I will know if it is worth preparing.

    Also, I originally had Horrid Whispers as the alternative to Sleep, but then I realized that I could keep 1 level 1 spell and 1 level 5 spell in that slot, since you can always take a lower-level spell. So I swapped Horrid Whispers for Glitterdust, which I have prepared.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scylfing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Valen

    Valen, too, was in a hurry to get out and begin their mission. After dressing and eating, he grabs one of the cryptspawn potions and opens the door/tent flap into the crisp morning air.

    "Mmm. Should be sunny enough, but it seems the birdsong you requested, Flavius, will have to stay with our tent," he quipped dryly, then with a nod at the others announces, "I am ready."

    Spoiler
    Show

    It seems like it'd be a good idea if both the people with marking ability were to take the cryptspawn potions, since we'll likely be attacked more often. I doubt I'll need the radiant crystals, I have plenty of radiant damage on my own.

    Also, I was wondering, since teleports can go upward, if Valen could double-move using Ethereal Sidestep with his Eladrin Boots (so 15-foot teleports at-will) up to the top of the wall? It'd at least save us half a round, but I'm not sure if two move actions in succession like that will necessarily trump the law of gravity.
    Currently playing: Medinah v.2.0 ; Harald

    Thinkerforged avatar by Rowsen.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Riley

    Riley rises to the sounds of birds and joins everyone for the morning meal.

    "Remember when we're out there, tread lightly, avoid noisy terrain....." He rambles on about proper stealth techniques over breakfast. His tone and words reminiscent of an instructor lecturing important information to a bored audience. When the halfling finishes his monologue, he sits in silent meditation for a few minutes as everyone makes their preparations. When Riley completes his meditation, the group notices their movements seem muffled and they all seem somewhat out of focus.

    As the group exits he grabs the bandolier with the remaining Radiant Crystals and slings it over his shoulder as he steps out into the tent city.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Riley cast Traveler's Camouflage. (1d20+14)[16] Nature check for 10hr stealth bonus. And with that crappy roll it's only +2.

    The rambling was nothing special just roleplaying the Thieving Crew stealth bonus for everyone. +2 stealth/thievery for everyone withing 5 squares of Riley
    Last edited by PChubby; 2012-04-17 at 12:56 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Jarl

    His sword at his side, Jarl summons his armor and pulls down a strange mask over his face. His gear prepared, Jarl falls in with the rest of the group. "Time to go then. The undead are waiting for us to come and free them from their worldly bonds."
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Planetouched in the Playground Moderator
     
    Chambers's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    The air outside is crisp and as you walk through the tent city towards the eastern edge you can see your breath hanging in the air. It's not even a minute walk before you're outside; the Major apparently prefers to have his command center near the city. As you stand outside the tents on the road leading up to Frivale the city ahead stands silent and torn. Less than a hundred yards up the road you see the entrenchments and soldiers guarding them, forming a line between the city and the tents. Between the line and the city is a no man's land, scattered with the remains of burned corpses, both human and unnatural. The walls here are gone, reduce to a pile of rubble that stretches west until it reaches the Kings gate.

    The necropolis is on the east side of the city and so you cross the road, heading around and up, walking through low grass, the crumbling walls of Frivale never more than a bowshot away. On the eastern side the walls have remained standing, though there's ragged gaps and holes large enough to fit a caravan through, evidence of the siege. As you pass the second watchtower on the wall you see a part of the wall that is partially collapsed. Broken stone is strewn about, creating an uneven slope that leads up the gap. According to the map you saw last night, the necropolis should be nearby on the other side.

    The sun is still low, though the eastern sky has become more orange than red as it slowly rises.

    Spoiler
    Show
    For reference on the map, Kings gate is the entrance marked with a large X along the bottom, at the end of the ruined wall section.
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"
    Shadow of the Demon Lord (Robert Schwalb's New RPG)

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Flavius
    Allow me to perform a quick spell to check what the weather will be like today. We don't want any surprise rain or fog while we're fighting undead, says Flavius, who takes five minutes to cast the simple divination. When he is done, he gives the party the basics of what sort of weather they will face, and then prepares to go over the wall with them, his orb-topped staff in hand.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Jarl

    "I'll go first," Jarl volunteers as he draws his blade, "And warn you if I run into anything. Assuming you're ready, ma'am." He adds, addressing Elise.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecroRebel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Elise

    Elise nods, and with the crystal on her staff quickly sketches a rune in faintly-glowing lines in the dust. As the image appears, so too does the bridge, a narrow white spiral of churning fog tight against the wall. "It might be difficult to keep your balance initially; the surface moves upwards. It will speed your movement, though. It should be able to hold two at once, but more than that will make it fail, so go!"

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Planetouched in the Playground Moderator
     
    Chambers's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Passing through the white fog is unsettling at first, but it's quickly done with as the wind rises up and gently carries each of you over the gap in the wall. Coming down on the other side you find yourself in a narrow side street that seems to run south against the wall. The buildings in front of you are mostly intact, though the one directly behind the gap has been completely demolished. You can see through it to a courtyard.

    The map showed the necropolis as a walled area just north and west of where you are, and in fact you can see the walls, less than a hundred feet away. Not meant for physical security, the stone walls are low to the ground, no higher than three feet, but unlike the walls of the city, the stones around the necropolis are undamaged.

    Glancing back through the gap you can see the sun begin to rise above the horizon, but it doesn't seem to get any brighter. Looking around again, you realize that there's some dark pall that pervades the city, making it as dark as dusk, even though it's morning. It's more than just a physical abnormality, as each of you feels a little less spirited, as if there were some presence at work that was slowly sapping your will and energy. You somehow instinctively know that this place is suffused with horrible necrotic power; you can feel it working against you, trying to overwhelm you.

    The necropolis is around the block, its one lone building squat, short, and waiting in the quiet.

    Spoiler
    Show
    For reference, here's the necropolis. You're not technically there, but it's not a hassle to get there. I'll describe it in more detail once you guys get there. You'll be approaching from the bottom right corner.



    Anyone trained in Arcana or Religion recognizes the feelings as something akin to a Sinkhole of Evil, a place where horrible deeds have been committed again and again, such that the psychic energy of the suffering has seeped into the land itself.

    The gloom changes the lighting condition. All light sources produce dim light and have their radius's halved. This means that the entire area is lightly obscured.

    Identify which DC you're rolling for, if you want to make an Arcana or Religion check. You may roll for both DC's, if you wish, using the same dice roll.

    Arcana/Religion DC 22 (Moderate)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sinkholes of evil each have properties in common with other sinkholes as well as properties unique to itself. In general, you know that sinkholes share the following characteristics:

    - The DC of all Heal checks increases by 4.
    - Powers that have the radiant keyword take a -2 penalty to the attack roll.
    - Powers that have the fear keyword gain a +2 bonus to the attack roll.

    The dimming of light appears to be specific to this sinkhole. Sources of bright illumination, whether mundane or magical, have their radius's halved and their intensity reduced to dim.


    Arcana/Religion DC 31 (Hard)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You extend your senses into the surrounding area and seek the source of this sinkhole. Your mind is shocked and instantly recoils as you realize that the nearby necropolis isn't the source...but that the entire city is corrupted. Before your mind forcibly shuts down your empathetic link in order to save itself you briefly glimpse a few other places within the city that shine much darker than the necropolis.

    Take your healing surge value in psychic damage and you are blinded, deafened, and dazed until the end of your next turn as your mind shuts off your senses in an attempt to preserve itself.


    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"
    Shadow of the Demon Lord (Robert Schwalb's New RPG)

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scylfing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Valen

    After clearing the wall, Valen made a strange gesture with his left hand and suddenly a sinister-looking shortsword, seemingly composed of solid shadow, appeared in his grasp. With his main hand he drew his sidearm, a gilded steel rapier inscribed with various runes, a magnificent weapon quite the opposite of his shadow-wrought blade. He didn't dare ignite its true power yet, however, not wishing to act as a beacon for whatever undead might be crawling about at this hour.

    As they drew nearer the necropolis, Valen pondered what mystical force might have created the darkness that gripped his city.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I'll go for both moderate and hard DCs, using Arcana: (1d20+18)[36]


    "Oh no. Oh nng-" he spluttered, his face suddenly contorting in pain. His rapier clattered to the ground as he clutched his temples in obvious pain. Though he fought to keep from screaming at what he saw with his mind's eye, it was clearly terrible.
    Last edited by Scylfing; 2012-04-20 at 07:44 PM.
    Currently playing: Medinah v.2.0 ; Harald

    Thinkerforged avatar by Rowsen.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Flavius
    The gnome shivers. Oh, am I ever glad that my eyes work in twilight! Its midday, and this Sinkhole of Evil is already dimming the lights, he complains quietly. As they near the necropolis, the gnome extends his arcane senses.

    [OOC: EDIT]

    The gnome stumbles backwards, falling onto his rump and gives out a soft groan of pain. Don't extend your senses, any of you! he says as he agonizingly climbs to his feet. The backlash... so much... evil... he pants.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Going for both DCs with Arcana: (1d20+24)[33]
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2012-04-20 at 06:49 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Jarl

    Though pleased that there seems to be no undead immediately in their path, Jarl doesn't let his guard down and remains alert as they progress towards the necropolis. The dim lighting does nothing to block the dwarf's senses, but it puts him on edge nonetheless. "If I'd never felt this taint again, it would have been too soon."

    While he does try to get a better feel of the magic behind the sinkhole just as Flavius warns them, he doesn't seem to sense whatever lashed out at Valen and Flavius.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2012-04-20 at 08:56 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecroRebel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Elise

    As the last one over the wall, Elise is unfortunately too preoccupied with her spell to hear her companion's warnings, and she curses softly after analyzing the power within the city. "This isn't good... It's like the whole place is cursed. Even underground I felt the sky more clearly than here. I think most of my stronger spells will work well, but I'm not sure that my more basic powers will be able to force their way through the force at work."

    She thinks for a moment after collecting herself, and wonders aloud, "Could any of you tell what the source to this effect is? We might want to change our plans to destroy it first."

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Riley

    While twilight usually works in Riley's favor, the taint of the area sends a shiver down his spine. "Now that we're here, I like this place even less and I hated it before." He says under his breath.

    Lacking formal training in religious or arcane magics the halfling cannot discern the effect but it doesn't take a scholar to notice it affected those that tried. Riley quickly checks Valen and Flavius over to see if there is anything he can do to relieve their obvious conditions.

    Spoiler
    Show
    No real game mechanic at work, just overall checking on comrades who suffered something traumatic.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Planetouched in the Playground Moderator
     
    Chambers's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Recovering from the mental assault, you walk towards the necropolis, weapons ready and alert. The streets are silent save for the occasional creak of wood inside broken buildings and the sounds of your own footsteps.

    The dirt path leading up to the necropolis is wide and criss-crossed with all manner of tracks. A metal gate once stood between the low walls but it's been torn off and lays twisted to one side. The area around the building is blighted and twisted. Plants are withered and carcasses of animals and man litter the ground. Ruined bits of rock and several beautiful and horrific sculptures peek out here and there among the long tufts of stringy brown grass, almost as tall as the stone wall. Some sickly splotches of electric yellow-green leaves and intense purple flowers that belong to an odd strain of wild thistle serves as a contrast to the otherwise gray-green and brown foliage.

    From what you can see, the walled-in area is dotted with a large number of graves. Nearly all of them are dug open, though whether dug from the outside or from inside out, it's hard to tell without closer examination. The building itself looks like a mausoleum, done in an older style of architecture from when the city was first built.
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"
    Shadow of the Demon Lord (Robert Schwalb's New RPG)

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Jarl

    Jarl shakes his head to Elise's question, "I can't tell at least, my guess would be it's from the same place we're heading to."

    He begins approaching the mausoleum once the rest of the group is ready, footsteps as light as he can make them.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scylfing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Valen

    Valen shook his head after Jarl had spoken. It was a long moment before he spoke, and even after his senses had returned and he'd recovered his weapon Valen was still silently rubbing the pain out of his head.

    "It's not the mausoleum, it's the whole city. The whole bloody city is corrupted," he replied. "I could, I could almost see them, I could feel them calling out. Terrible things happened here, and there are darker places than this gravesite, though I could just barely sense them before the pain grew too great."
    Currently playing: Medinah v.2.0 ; Harald

    Thinkerforged avatar by Rowsen.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Flavius
    The gnome nods. Our intelligence was wrong. This sinkhole... it pales in comparison to some of the others here. This city may not be salvageable... I think that ritual magic to destroy the whole damn place would be most prudent, he says, agreeing with Valen's analysis. But that's not what we were tasked to do. Lets see if we can get a start on things by just clearing the necropolis, eh?
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Riley

    "Agreed, the necropolis seems a good start to cleansing this place. It'll give us a better idea of the forces we're dealing with." Riley says in a lowered voice. When Jarl moves out, Riley follows close behind taking care to walk quietly.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth:(1d20+26)[31] (skill24+2 from the ritual) if necessary.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Planetouched in the Playground Moderator
     
    Chambers's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Walking up the path you can see that the doors to the masuoleum are in surprisingly good condition. Two large iron wrought doors are set into the marble of the building and there's an inscription written in the old language of the Hevians engraved with silver over the doors, "Mortem est ostium." You don't have much time to ponder the meaning as two sudden movements draw your attention. What you thought to be simple statues of people caught in tortrous poses begins to move with a blinding speed and before you can react the two gargolyes have raked their claws across Elise and Flavius.

    The change from motionless rock to hateful, spiteful demonic stone happened in an instant and their now open eyes shine with a blood red gaze that seems as if there's living fire behind them. To compound matters, as soon as they attack two spirits sweep out of the gargolyes, the shadowy ghosts stabbing with their incorporeal weapons. Jarl and Valen managed to dodge out of the way, but even the sudden brush of the dark blades seems to corrupt their flesh, with red blotches and dark spots appearing on the skin near where the swords swung. The wraiths, little more than shadow and hate, glare at their foes and swing again.

    This time the shadowy nature of the wraiths confuses Jarl and Flavius and the swords pass through their bodies, leaving a trail of diseased flesh, boils and pustules. Their mouths widen to reveal rows of sharp teeth and the wraiths sink into the ground, fleeing to safety in the graveyard dirt. While the two warriors are momentarily distracted by their pains the two gargolyes lash out with their claws and score long furrows into the dwarf and man. You hear the sound of rocks breaking and cracking and you realize that the stone demons are laughing, flinging your blood off the tips of their claws. You soon realize the reason for their laughter as the claw marks begin to burn with an intense heat, as if liquid fire were being poured into the wounds.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1

    Intiative

    Wraiths & Gargoyles
    Team PC (everyone go ahead and post actions)

    They got the drop on you, though Riley was hidden.



    Surprise round and round 1 summary: (I've listed the instances separately in case of any resistances you have)
    Elise: 15 physical damage, ongoing 5 damage (save ends), 5 fire damage
    Flavius: 16 physical damage, ongoing 5 damage (save ends), 5 fire damage
    Jarl: 9 necrotic damage, 16 necrotic damage, 3 necrotic damage, 14 physical damage, 5 fire damage and you are weakened (save ends), weakened (aura effect), and ongoing 5 damage (save ends)
    Valen: 9 necrotic damage, 9 necrotic damage, 12 necrotic damage, 13 physical damage, 5 fire damage and you are weakened (save ends), weakened (aura effect), and ongoing 5 damage (save ends)

    Re: the pain from the claw wounds.
    The Gargoyles have an aura up and you're all within it. If you start your turn there or enter the aura while you have ongoing damage, you take 5 Fire damage and are weakened. This currently applies to everyone except Riley.
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"
    Shadow of the Demon Lord (Robert Schwalb's New RPG)

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Riley

    After the creatures attack, Riley begins rhythmically chanting in draconic and quickly grabs a Glowstone from the bandolier. He activates it and drops on the ground at Elise's feet then moves into flanking position against a gargoyle.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Garygoyle: Knowledge (Arcana):(1d20+15)[30]
    Wraiths: Knowledge (Arcana):(1d20+15)[28]

    Minor: Skald's Aura
    Encounter • Minor Act1on
    Personal
    Keywords: Aura, Healing, Martial
    Effect: You activate an aura 5 that lasts until the end of the encounter. If the aura ends prematurely for any reason , you can reactivate it during the encounter as aminor action.
    Twice per encounter but only once per turn , you or any ally in the aura can use a minor action to spend a healing surge and regain ld6 additional hit points.

    Alternatively, you or any ally can use a minor action to allow an adjacent ally to spend a healing surge and regain the additional hit points.
    Level 16: 4d6 additional hit points, and the healing can be used three times per encounter.

    Standard: Grab a stone from the bandolier, activates it, and drops it on the ground in M1

    Move: Shift forward to N3

    Valen has +6 to dmg vs the flanked Garygoyle, everyone else has combat advantage against it.

    1st creature to hit Riley:
    Second Chance
    Encounter • Immediate Interrupt
    Personal
    Trigger: You are hit by an attack.
    Effect: The attacker must reroll the attack and use the second roll, even if it is lower.
    Last edited by PChubby; 2012-04-22 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added conditional & immediate action info

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecroRebel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Elise

    Elise grunts in pain at the sudden assault and stumbles backwards with a stifled cry. "Rocks?!" she mumbles incredulously, then positions her staff before her to block attacks and begins sketching an image of a whirlwind in the dirt with its tip.

    As she draws, swirling fog rapidly rises around her, obscuring her from even the keenest eyes and biting into the flesh of all nearby, though the gusts seem to curl around her allies rather than into them.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana knowledge checks:

    vs. Gargoyles - (1d20+14)[15]
    vs. Wraiths - (1d20+14)[31]

    Have 7 temporary hp from restful bedroll this morning, so hp drops from 109/102 to 84/102.

    Move action to shift 1 square SE to N0, standard action to use Swirling Stars encounter power at K2 to O-2, and minor action to use Deep Shroud daily utility.

    Attack vs. left Gargoyle Reflex - (1d20+20)[27]
    Attack vs. right Gargoyle Reflex - (1d20+20)[25]
    Attack vs. Flavius Reflex - (1d20+15)[33]
    Attack vs. Elise Reflex - (1d20+15)[20]
    Attack vs. Wraith 1 Reflex - (1d20+20)[26] (if present in burst; since it's a burst, AFAIK I take no penalty from being unable to see it)
    Attack vs. Wraith 2 Reflex - (1d20+20)[38] (if present in burst; since it's a burst, AFAIK I take no penalty from being unable to see it)
    Damage if hit - (2d8+22)[31] cold/thunder. Halved from Weakness effect, halved again on allies from my War Wizardry feat.
    Also, all struck targets are slid 2; prefer sliding to where enemies are flanked (please use your discretion, if that's all right). If struck, I myself will be slid to N-3.

    My tile, and the tiles directly around me, are heavily obscured.

    Save vs. ongoing 5 - (1d20)[14]



    Also, note that the tiles adjacent to me take an additional movement for enemies to enter due to my Antipathy Gloves' property.

    Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Health: 84/102
    Surges Remaining: 8/8
    AC: 28
    Fort: 23
    Ref: 26
    Will: 32

    Active status effects:
    Weakened (Gargoyle Aura)

    Encounter/Daily Powers:
    Shadow Claws
    Use Vulnerability
    Swirling Stars
    Thunder Bomb
    Wind Burst
    Primordial Storm
    Narrow Escape
    Feather Fall

    Sun's Illumination
    Howling Hurricane
    Prismatic Lightning
    Deep Shroud
    Arcane Empowerment
    Zephyr Wings


    Item Powers:
    Feyweave Robe of Bloodwalking +4
    Quickbeam Staff of the War Mage +3
    Torc of Power Presevation +3
    War Ring
    Antipathy Gloves
    Bridle of Conjuration
    Restful Bedroll
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2012-04-22 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Made save vs. ongoing, updated status.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Jarl

    "Blast!" Jarl shouts as he's swarmed without warning. His sword glows with arcane energies that surround him, causing the air to shimmer around him, and then burst out to mark to the Gargoyles as well. As it charges, he hauls back his free hand and punches the Gargoyle beside him straight in the face.

    Minor: Activate the Impenetrable Warding stance
    Minor: Mark both Gargoyles
    Standard: Fist of Force on left Gargoyle
    Spoiler
    Show

    Impenetrable warding grants my Swordmage warding bonus to all defenses, boosting them by 3 as long as I am in the stance.
    The Double-Aegis feat lets me double mark.

    Fist of Force
    Attack vs Fort: (1d20+19)[35]
    Damage: (2d10+10)[17] then halved for weakness. (EDIT: Should be 4 points more, I didn't count the weapon enhancement bonus)
    On hit, push 5 squares to G2 and knock it prone. I'm assuming that since Flanking doesn't look possible, Elise isn't going to move it if she hits.

    Saving throw vs Weakness-(1d20)[16]
    Saving throw vs Ongoing damage-(1d20)[12]

    Status:Jarl Bladeguide, Dwarf Swordmage, Captain of Fortune
    Init +7 HP 69/121 Bloodied 60 Healing Surge 30 (0 used /11)
    AC 34 Fort 31 Reflex 31 Will 30 Speed 5
    Effects:
    +3 to Non ac defenses from Imp. Warding (calculated in the above numbers)

    Future reaction stuff:
    If either of them trigger my Aegis (prioritizing one going for Flavius or Elise), slide it one square away from the target with the baldric of assault ability and teleport into it's square, using Blastback strike (+21 vs Fort, 1[W] + 9 thunder damage) in place of the melee attack, pushing it two more squares away if it hits.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2012-04-22 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Update for conditional stuff
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Flavius
    The gnome gasps as Elise's fog enshrouds him. He two steps backwards, cursing, as the fog slides him away from the gargoyles. Elise, dear, haven't you got spells a little more selective? he asks, walking until he is out of the Gargoyles' auras. Like, perhaps, this? With a wave of his staff, a horde of tiny dragons materialize among the gargoyles, breathing ice and fire and savaging the stone creatures.

    Off-Turn: I will use the slide 2 from Elise's spell to go 2 squares south.
    Move Action: Walk 5 squares south
    Standard Action: 1A - Enlarged Winged Horde, Burst 2 @ M2, friendly

    Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana for Gargoyles: [roll]1d20+24/roll]
    Arcana for Wraiths: (1d20+24)[41]

    Attack vs. Left Gargoyle: (1d20+20)[32] vs. Will
    Attack vs. Right Gargoyle: (1d20+20)[25] vs. Will

    Hit: (1d6+15)[18] cold, fire and psychic damage, and the target gains vulnerable 5 cold, grants me combat advantage and cannot make opportunity attacks until the end of my next turn. Damage is halved if moving a total of 7 squares south was insufficient to get out of their auras.

    Saving Throw vs. Ongoing Damage: (1d19+2)[8]
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scylfing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Valen

    Taken by surprise, Valen wasn't able to protect himself from the gargoyle's first strike, though thankfully it only grazed him with the dark energy it radiates. He gathered his wits just in time to blink away when the second swordblow hit, reappearing several yards away wreathed in shadow. He blinked a bit further away a second time, then leveled both blades at the one who struck him and spat curses at both.

    "Know fear, spirits! Gaze upon the Void, for it will soon be your eternal home," he threatened, attempting to create a vision of madness in the gargoyle's wicked mind.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Off-turn, immediate reaction to the sword attack in the first round, reducing damage by 5 and teleporting 4 squares to T-3.

    Minor action, curse both gargoyles per Twofold Curse (the wraiths, being underground, aren't enemies I can see).

    Move action, use Ethereal Sidestep to teleport 3 squares to V-3, which should hopefully be out of their aura.

    Standard action, Far Realm Phantasm on the gargoyle at O-2.
    Cha (implement) vs. Will, with combat advantage (concealment per Shadow Walk and CA per Shadow Warlock Armor) and as a fear keyword it gets +2 to hit from the sinkhole.

    (1d20+22)[30] to hit, (1d6+15)[20] psychic damage + (2d8)[14] curse damage, halved, and the target must use its next standard action to attack the empty air (this triggers marks). It also takes a -2 penalty to Will until the end of my next turn.

    Save (weakened): (1d20)[7]

    As for immediates this next round, since I don't have a mark up and my Darkspiral Aura is only at 1, I won't be using either of those yet. The only one I'd use is if an attack would bloody me, in which case I'd use Hero's Defense.
    Last edited by Scylfing; 2012-04-23 at 07:55 PM.
    Currently playing: Medinah v.2.0 ; Harald

    Thinkerforged avatar by Rowsen.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Planetouched in the Playground Moderator
     
    Chambers's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    The glowstones cracks and light pours from it, but not even it can penetrate the gloom. While it doesn't help improve anyone vision, Riley can feel a small surge of positive energy in the area around it. The winds that Elise summons only serve to batter about her allies, as the gargoyles ignore the blasts of air, their clawed feet digging into the earth for better traction. One is surprised by the force of Jarls fist though as he knocks one sprawling back. The other gargoyle laughs at the horde of dragons that Flavius conjures, and snaps out with one quick claw and grabs one of the creatures, slamming it into its mouth and chomping on it. You're sure that they were just illusions...but the gargoyle seems to be enjoying his snack, silver dragon blood running down his chin.

    He's got little time to celebrate though, as he suddenly spits out the small dragon corpse on the ground and starts clawing wildly at the small dragons darting about him. Something's changed his opinion of them, and for the worse. Meanwhile the other gargoyle climbs back up to its feet and launches into the air, stone wings springing from its back as it rushes towards Jarl. It tries to rake his eyes out with its claws, but he gets his sword up in time to fend off the creatures attacks.

    The wraiths are nowhere to be seen.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 2

    Gargoyle 2's "attacking the air" technically triggers your Mark, Jarl. If you want to do something about that, go ahead and include it in your post. Elise missed with her attacks, Flavius hit Gargoyle 1 and missed Gargoyle 2, Jarl and Valen hit.



    Notes:
    Flavius is at N-6, not on top of the roof. I just moved his token there out of the way so we can see where he is.
    The squares around N0 (Elise) are heavily obscurred.

    Gargoyle 1: Vulnerable 5 Cold, Granting Flavius CA, Can't make OA until Falvius EONT.
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"
    Shadow of the Demon Lord (Robert Schwalb's New RPG)

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecroRebel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Elise

    The sorceress's voice comes from somewhere in the fog. "Selective!? Raindrops don't just fall on the fields, Flavius! You want to avoid the storm's fury, you stand beneath its eye!" And as she speaks the fog lashes forwards, lit from within by flashes of lightning, and crashes once more around the stone beasts. When it clears again, the cloud's center is not where it was previously, instead shrouding a place on the roof of the mausoleum.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Minor to sustain Deep Shroud, move to use Dominant Winds to fly to J4 (I should be able to fly up 1, then up-NW 2, then back down-NW to that spot without provoking OAs from the gargoyle), and finish with standard to Primordial Storm at K5-O1, omitting the central tile M3 from the burst.

    Attack vs. left gargoyle reflex - (1d20+20)[24]
    Attack vs. right gargoyle reflex - (1d20+20)[37]
    Attack vs. Riley reflex - (1d20+20)[23] (This should be at -5; copy-pasted when I shouldn't have)
    Damage if hit - (2d6+22)[31] lightning/thunder and 5 fire/cold at the beginning of the target's next turn. Riley takes half damage if hit.

    Edit: Oh, and the right gargoyle is slid into N3; forgot about my Mark of Storm's effect.

    Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Health: 84/102
    Surges Remaining: 8/8
    AC: 28 (35 from Mantle of Unity)
    Fort: 23 (31 from Mantle of Unity)
    Ref: 26 (33 from Mantle of Unity)
    Will: 32

    Encounter/Daily Powers:
    Shadow Claws
    Use Vulnerability
    Swirling Stars
    Thunder Bomb
    Wind Burst
    Primordial Storm
    Narrow Escape
    Feather Fall

    Sun's Illumination
    Howling Hurricane
    Prismatic Lightning
    Deep Shroud
    Arcane Empowerment
    Zephyr Wings


    Item Powers:
    Feyweave Robe of Bloodwalking +4
    Quickbeam Staff of the War Mage +3
    Torc of Power Presevation +3
    War Ring
    Antipathy Gloves
    Bridle of Conjuration
    Restful Bedroll
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2012-04-25 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Noting boosted defenses from Mantle of Unity

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Flavius
    Or, you stand very far away! laughs Flavius, unleashing another horde of illusory silver dragons on his foes. If the lot of you would kindly make way, I've some less selective spells of my own these creatures won't enjoy.


    Standard Action: 1A - Enlarged Winged Horde @ M3, friendly
    Move Action: If I'm still inside the weakening aura, move south until I am outside. If I'm already out, no action.

    Spoiler
    Show
    vs. Gargoyle 1: (1d20+22)[35] vs. Will
    vs. Gargoyle 2: (1d20+20)[23] vs. Will
    Hit: (1d6+15)[17] psychic, fire and cold damage, (5 more to Gargoyle 1) and the target grants Flavius CA, cannot make opportunity attacks and has vulnerable 5 cold all until the end of my next turn. This will apply to the delayed damage on Elise's Primordial Storm.


    Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flavius Argentum
    Health: 58/84
    Surges Remaining: 7/8
    AC: 31
    Fort: 26
    Ref: 30
    Will: 31

    Effects:
    +3 damage if attack targets more than one enemy
    +2 damage on cold & thunder powers
    +2 damage on cold powers | -5 enemy cold resist
    +5 vulnerable to cold @ target after fire hits
    +CA @ target after illusion hits
    +1 to saving throws
    +5 to saving throws vs. illusion
    Resist 10 Cold
    Resist 10 Dragon Breath Weapons
    Reroll 1's on Saves and Skillchecks
    Two-Way Telepathy
    Climb 5, assuming I end the move horizontal

    Active status effects:
    None

    At-Will Powers:
    Cold Flaming Winged Horde
    Phantom Bolt
    Light
    Mage Hand


    Encounter Powers:
    Frostburn
    Genie's Intercession
    Winter's Wrath
    Call the Night Winds
    Solkara's Wave
    Chameleon's Mask
    Spook
    Fade Away
    Gnomish Ghost Sound
    Orb of Deception
    Staff of Defense


    Daily Powers:
    Soul Puppets
    Face of Death
    Glitterdust
    Solkara's Grasp
    Refocus
    Mass Resistance
    Limited Wish
    Eschew Components [Divination]


    Item Powers:
    Magic Orb +4
    Defensive Staff +1
    Dragonslayer Dagger +2 [Solkara]
    Feyweave of Cold Resistance +4
    Greater Medallion of the Mind +3
    Fey-Blessed Circlet
    Paragon Gloves of Ice
    Wallwalkers
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2012-04-25 at 05:39 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Riley grimaces as the stone beasts attack but the sight of everyone teleporting away gives him greater concern. "I know some of you don't like to be in the thick of things but you've got to be reasonably close to put my talents to use. Besides, we can cover each others weaknesses for a short while." As the halfling says the words, Jarl and Elise feel a sense of strength shared between the three of them.

    Then Riley begins to hum a new tune as he turns to face the Gargoyle between him and Jarl. He gives the stone beast a devilish grin as his dagger starts to glow with sunlight. "I've a special poker for the likes of you." He says as he lunges for the weakest spot he can find.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Minor:
    Mantle of Unity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Encounter Arcane
    Minor Action Close burst 5
    Target: You and each ally in the burst
    Effect: Determine the highest AC, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will among all the targets. Until the end of your next turn, use these values for the corresponding defenses of all the targets.

    Jarl, Elise, & Riley all share the highest defenses among all of them

    Minor:
    Song of Serendipity
    Spoiler
    Show
    At-Will Martial
    Minor Action Personal
    Effect: Until the end of the encounter or until you use another bard at-will attack power, your skald’s aura gains the following effect: Each time you hit an enemy with a basic attack, one of your allies in the aura gains a +2 power bonus to his or her next attack roll before the end of your next turn.



    Standard:
    Basic Melee Attack Gargoyle 2 in N3 (CA cancels out -2 for radiant attacks)
    atk:(1d20+22)[27] vs ref
    dmg:(1d4+14)[17] radiant
    SA:[roll]3d6[/roll]

    No Action:
    Low Blow
    Spoiler
    Show
    Encounter Martial
    No Action Special
    Trigger: Your melee attack hits a creature granting combat advantage to you.
    Effect: The creature is dazed until the end of your next turn.

    Gargoyle 2 is Dazed till the end of Riley's next turn

    Conditional stuff:
    - Garygoyle 2 grants CA to everyone, +1 power bonus to everyone to hit it
    - Jarl: +2 power bonus to hit Gargoyle 2 (Song of Serendipity); +6 dmg while flanking with Riley
    - Second Chance for immediate interrupt vs 1st to hit Riley
    Spoiler
    Show
    Encounter
    Immediate Interrupt Personal
    Trigger: You are hit by an attack.
    Effect: The attacker must reroll the attack and use the second roll, even if it is lower.

    Last edited by PChubby; 2012-04-25 at 07:35 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •