Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 306

Thread: Guildmage [IC]

  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chambers's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Catacombs Chapel

    Thunder again fills the catacombs as Jarls blade sweeps out and decapitates two of the charging ghouls. The cacophany is accompanied by something akin to lightning; a burst of star light explodes among the ghouls, burning out the eyes of one ghoul. It clutches at it's useless orbs and falls to the ground, smoke drifting from the sockets. Riley wastes no time. The flash of light is enough to pick his target and the dagger flies straight and true, sinking into a ghouls throat before pulling itself out by unseen force and flying back to his hand.

    Two of the ghouls rush past the ones dying and leap over the rubble on the ground, their claws raking at Jarl as they land in front of him. The sheer mindlessness of their attacks is frightening. They show no emotion that their others have fallen, nor seem to even notice it. Their eyes burn with a fierceness that belies their undead state, and Jarl only manages to fend off one of them, the other sinking its claws into his leg.

    From across the chapel you can again hear the now familiar sounds of bare feet scraping and running across stone floor and the dim luminesence of the fog glows against more pouring out of the passageway.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 4 - Catacomb Chapel
    - Riley, Jarl, Elise, Valen
    - Ghouls

    Catacomb Chapel Map.

    Jarl takes 6 damage and is immobilized (save ends).
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Flavius
    As the warrior attacks Flavius and knocks him to the ground, Solkara casts a spell from within the dagger to protect her son, and the image of a roaring dragon knocks the warrior back, grabbing Flavius and carrying him up to a nearby rooftop. The gnome rises to his feet. Wux geou xikin ihk batobot, he spits in Draconic as he brushes off his robes. He summons his illusory dragons to torment his foe.

    Immediate Reaction [See OOC]: Dragon's Intercession
    Move Action: Stand Up
    Standard Action: Winged Horde @ big guy

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+20)[38] vs. Will
    Hit: (1d6+14)[20] fire, cold and psychic damage. On a hit, he gains vulnerable 5 cold UEMNT PLUS vulnerable 5 cold versus my next arcane power. Further, he also cannot make opportunity attacks until the end of my next turn.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecroRebel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Elise

    "Closer, monsters... Closer..." the sorceress mumbles as she casts another spell, its power straining against the bonds she holds it in, eager for release.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ready an action to Blazing Starfall at F11 as soon as 4 or more living ghouls are in a burst 2 of that spot (D9-H13).

    Attacks vs. Reflex
    Attack 1 - (1d20+18)[36]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+18)[19]
    Attack 3 - (1d20+18)[29]
    Attack 4 - (1d20+18)[25]
    Extra Attack 1 - (1d20+18)[37] (for if allies decide to go in there)
    Extra Attack 2 - (1d20+18)[30]
    Damage if hit - (1d4+22)[26] radiant thunder damage and slide 2.

    Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Health: 102/102
    Surges Remaining: 7/8
    AC: 28
    Fort: 23
    Ref: 26
    Will: 32

    Encounter/Daily Powers:
    Shadow Claws
    Use Vulnerability
    Swirling Stars
    Thunder Bomb
    Wind Burst
    Primordial Storm
    Narrow Escape
    Feather Fall

    Sun's Illumination
    Howling Hurricane
    Prismatic Lightning
    Deep Shroud
    Arcane Empowerment
    Zephyr Wings


    Item Powers:
    Feyweave Robe of Bloodwalking +4
    Quickbeam Staff of the War Mage +3
    Torc of Power Presevation +3
    War Ring
    Antipathy Gloves
    Bridle of Conjuration
    Restful Bedroll

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Riley

    A new rhythm is added to the halfling's humming as he steels himself to attack the next ghoul that comes in range.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Minor: Song of Serendipity
    Standard: Readied Action RBA 1st ghoul to come within 5 squares
    Attack:(1d20+20)[30] vs AC (+2 if Riley has CA, -2 radiant attack figured in)
    Damage:(1d5+9)[10] radiant dmg
    Conditional Immediate Action: Second Chance if attacked

    Spoiler
    Show
    Status:
    HP: 110/110
    Surges: 7/8
    AC:35 F:28 R:33 W:32

    Condition:

    Active Auras:
    Skald's Aura
    Song of Serendipity

    Encounters:
    Dimensional Step
    Echoing Weapon
    Guild Beatdown
    Low Blow
    Mantle of Unity
    Moment of Escape
    Revitalizing Incantation
    Second Chance
    Shifty Direction
    Words of Friendship
    Urge To Victory


    Dailies:
    Anthem of Aggression
    Cautionary Tale
    Disruptive Words
    Scathing Rebuke
    Song of Solidarity
    Song of Sublime Snowfall


    Items:
    Backlash Tattoo
    Strikebacks

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scylfing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Valen

    Cursing the ghouls before him, Valen blinks backward a few paces and unleashes another burst of dire radiance upon the ghoul on Jarl's left flank.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Minor action to curse the two ghouls in front of Jarl.

    I couldn't get the Google Doc to cut/paste my character into the "square" behind Elise, but that's where I'd like him to teleport to with his move action Ethereal Sidestep.

    Standard action to blast the ghoul at D10 with Dire Radiance.
    [roll]1d20+20[/url] vs. Fortitude (CA from Shadow Warlock Armor)
    [roll]1d6+15[/url] radiant damage and if the target moves nearer to me on its turn it takes an additional [roll]1d6+15[/url] radiant damage.
    Currently playing: Medinah v.2.0

    Thinkerforged avatar by Rowsen.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Jarl

    Jarl's blade erupts in a burst of energy directed at the two in front of him, his joints moving slowly as the ghouls claws infect him.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sword burst again.
    Attacks-
    North-(1d20+21)[40]
    South-(1d20+21)[31]
    Damage-(1d10+9)[19]
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chambers's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Last Sight Vision

    The giant warrior starts in surprise at the figment dragons darting around him. He swats at them, but quickly realizes their illusionary nature and lets them snap and bite at him as he stares at Flavius. The other warriors hustle over and stop in the street. Each takes their blade and cuts a line down their forearm, chanting something low under their breaths. The dripping blood leaps up and forms into long, sinuous whips of crimson that lash out at Flavius, trying to grab a hold of him and throw him to the cobblestones below.

    One tendril manages to wrap around his ankle and jerks him forward but the gnome slams down onto the slated roof, holding on for dear life. Managing to shake it off, Flavius hears the frustrated cry of the mace wielding warrior and moments later his pounding footsteps as he rushes toward the building and quickly ascends the outer wall. Doors and windows make easy handholds for him and before the gnome can regain his feet, the giant is standing over him. Breathing heavy from the exertion, the warrior wastes no time for words and sends his mace crashing down on top of Flavius, smashing into the gnomes ribs. The impact threatens to send him flying over the edge but luck is with him as part of his cloak gets caught on the broken roof tiles, preventing him from going over.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 5
    - Flavius
    - Corbett

    Last Sight Vision Map

    Flavius takes 23 damage and is prone, marked, and slowed.


    Catacombs Chapel

    More ghouls rush out of the passageway and clamber over their dead to reach the living. Explosions of sound fill the small chamber as Jarl sword lays low the two in front. Blinding light fills the catacombs again as a small star briefly appears, immolating three of the rushing ghouls. Riley's keen eyes and agile hands send his dagger flying straight into the head of another, while Valen's spell harmlessly detonates in the caverns. The walls of the catacombs are shaking from the intensity of the sound being unleased, but the ghouls aren't worried about such things. They leap at Jarl with their sharpened claws and the mass prove too much for him to defend against; one ghoul manages to swipe at his leg, cutting through his clothing and opening another painful wound.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 5.
    - PC's
    - Ghouls

    Catacomb Chapel Map.

    Jarl takes 6 damage and is immobilized (save ends).
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecroRebel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Elise

    With the walls trembling and the sinkhole dampening shining spells, Elise avoids using further thunderous magic, for now simply forming a cascade of air blades to slice this last wave of ghouls to ribbons.

    Spoiler
    Show
    It's pretty useless against non-minions due to not having most of my static damage bonuses and has a better attack bonus than Blazing Starfall, so I'm gonna go with Wind Burst at F10 (burst 2, hits D8-H12).

    Attacks vs. Fortitude
    Attack 1 - (1d20+19)[31]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+19)[24]
    Attack 3 - (1d20+19)[26]
    Attack 4 - (1d20+19)[23]
    Attack 5 - (1d20+19)[31]
    Attack 6 - (1d20+19)[27]
    Attack 7 - (1d20+19)[35]
    Attack 8 - (1d20+19)[20]
    Attack 9 - (1d20+19)[25]
    Damage if hit - (3d6+6)[17] untyped and push 2 from the center of the burst. The target in the center is proned instead of pushed.

    Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Health: 102/102
    Surges Remaining: 7/8
    AC: 28
    Fort: 23
    Ref: 26
    Will: 32

    Encounter/Daily Powers:
    Shadow Claws
    Use Vulnerability
    Swirling Stars
    Thunder Bomb
    Wind Burst
    Primordial Storm
    Narrow Escape
    Feather Fall

    Sun's Illumination
    Howling Hurricane
    Prismatic Lightning
    Deep Shroud
    Arcane Empowerment
    Zephyr Wings


    Item Powers:
    Feyweave Robe of Bloodwalking +4
    Quickbeam Staff of the War Mage +3
    Torc of Power Presevation +3
    War Ring
    Antipathy Gloves
    Bridle of Conjuration
    Restful Bedroll

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Flavius
    Still invisible from his minor illusion, the gnome stands up, brushes off his clothing, takes a moment to compose himself, and then casts a simple cantrip. He causes the sounds of soldiers on the march to emanate from down the alley below him, hoping his foes might be distracted long enough for his blasted ritual to end.

    Move Action: Stand Up
    Standard Action: Second Wind, spend surge and gain +2 DEF UEMNT
    Minor Action: Ghost Sound emanating off-map, no AoO because I am still invis

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff Check, if required: (1d20+14)[19]
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Riley

    As winds buffet the tunnel entrance, Riley squints through the gale ready to attack any ghoul still standing.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Standard: Readied Action RBA against the closest ghoul that survives, if any.
    Attack:(1d20+20)[35] vs Ref (+2 if Riley has CA, -2 radiant attack figured in) I've been forgetting Deft Blade this encounter!
    Damage:(1d4+9)[13] radiant dmg
    Conditional Immediate Action: Second Chance if attacked

    Spoiler
    Show
    Status:
    HP: 110/110
    Surges: 7/8
    AC:35 F:28 R:33 W:32

    Condition:

    Active Auras:
    Skald's Aura
    Song of Serendipity

    Encounters:
    Dimensional Step
    Echoing Weapon
    Guild Beatdown
    Low Blow
    Mantle of Unity
    Moment of Escape
    Revitalizing Incantation
    Second Chance
    Shifty Direction
    Words of Friendship
    Urge To Victory


    Dailies:
    Anthem of Aggression
    Cautionary Tale
    Disruptive Words
    Scathing Rebuke
    Song of Solidarity
    Song of Sublime Snowfall


    Items:
    Backlash Tattoo
    Strikebacks

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chambers's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Catacombs Chapel

    The air is rent as Elise pulls it apart and sends it hurling towards the ghouls, wind so fast and thin that it slices through their skin and bones like steel. In one horrible instant nearly all of the ghouls are ripped to shreds by the galeforce wind, their bodies torn to pieces and flung across the walls of the cavern. One lone ghoul crouches low as the wind quickly fades and he leaps forward, ignorant of the danger he moves towards. Riley's dagger ends his unlife mercifully quick with a swift blade to the throat. The ghoul clutches at his neck and then collapses.

    No other creature emerges from the passageway and the catacombs are silent. The walls nearby and the floor have been completely covered by the remains of the ghouls...limbs, torsos, heads, and intestines are strewn about. Their pale blood covers the ground and the stench of their rotted meals begins to grow stronger as their guts have been cut open and exposed.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Map.

    The star burst represents the area where the ghoul bodies/remains are. It's pretty nasty...you guys killed about 30 of them in a small space.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2012-07-01 at 05:53 PM.
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Riley

    "Is everyone alright?" Riley says pulling a rag from his pocket. "It looked like a few of those things hit Jarl. Help me check his wounds. No telling what the filth they had on their claws will do to him. We can look for Flavius once everyone is OK." The halfling keeps an eye on the tunnel entrance as he tends to Jarl.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal: (1d20+14)[15] + whoever assists
    Perception: (1d20+15)[23] to keep an eye on the tunnel
    Skald's Aura Heal: (4d6)[13] I don't think Jarl took enough damage to need it though

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scylfing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Valen

    "I, uh, I guess I'll try," Valen murmured, unsure of what exactly to do so he just wipes away at some of the grime. He was more concerned about their missing wizard. "Does anyone know the ritual Flavius cast? Maybe there's some way we can reverse or undo it."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Heal check to aid another: (1d20+7)[10]
    Arcana to know anything about the Last Sight Vision ritual: (1d20+18)[33]
    Currently playing: Medinah v.2.0

    Thinkerforged avatar by Rowsen.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecroRebel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Elise

    Elise surveys the carnage, most of which had been wrought by her own spells. "Messy," she comments, and complains, "and what a stink! I can even smell it through my scarf!"

    She turns around and goes further back into the tomb to examine the ritual setup Flavius had used. "I think you probably know as much about this as I do; the giants never seemed to use many rituals. I only learned how to do them after I met Cedaris... Maaaaybe smashing the bones wouldn't be a good idea, though. They might be a link to wherever Flavius went."

    Spoiler
    Show
    I guess I'll make an Arcana check to evaluate the ritual, too...
    (1d20+14)[19]

    Status after 1 short rest:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Health: 102/102
    Surges Remaining: 7/8
    AC: 28
    Fort: 23
    Ref: 26
    Will: 32

    Encounter/Daily Powers:
    Shadow Claws
    Use Vulnerability
    Swirling Stars
    Thunder Bomb
    Wind Burst
    Primordial Storm
    Narrow Escape
    Feather Fall

    Sun's Illumination
    Howling Hurricane
    Prismatic Lightning
    Deep Shroud
    Arcane Empowerment
    Zephyr Wings


    Item Powers:
    Feyweave Robe of Bloodwalking +4
    Quickbeam Staff of the War Mage +3
    Torc of Power Presevation +3
    War Ring
    Antipathy Gloves
    Bridle of Conjuration
    Restful Bedroll

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Jarl

    Shaking off the ghoul's paralyzing touch, Jarl waves off Riley. "Don't worry, it's just a scratch."

    "The ritual isn't supposed to last forever, perhaps Falvius will return when it finishes. Then again, it wasn't supposed to take him anywhere either..."
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chambers's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Last Sight Vision

    Unfazed by the invisibility magic the giant shouts orders down to the soldiers on the ground. They begin walking closer to the building, their arms and swords held at length as they try to find the gnome. The giant rests his mace and his shoulder and scans the rooftops. "Tua magicae non ultimum, veneficus. Inveniam te postquam comederis et justo deficiam et id mei."

    Though the words are unknown, the tone is clear: it's only a matter of time. The marketplace has quieted down and Flavius can hear the distant sounds of fighting and battle elsewhere in the city. The brief respite from immediate violence grants him a chance to take a longer look at the buildings and he realizes that he's still in Frivale. Nearly all of the buildings share the same architectural traits of the oldest buildings in the Frivale that Flavius knows, except now they are new instead of caked with the dirt and wear of years of use. In the distance towards the center he can see the central Spire, still the tallest landmark in the city. The sun glints off the obelisk at the top and makes his head feel light.

    As the invisibility quickly begins to fade Flavius feels the reflected light from the Spire start to strobe and the edges of his vision begin to fade. The giant laughs as the gnome is visible once more and drops his mace into both of his hands. "Nocte ego pranderet in rarissimo refectio." He says as he brings his mace down, but the gnome is already fading from this reality. He can hear the mace crunch against the tiled roof and the giant cry out in surprise and anger and then the dark walls of the catacombs reform around him. Standing next to the sarcophagus of the giant warrior...now just a skeleton lying under rock. The dankness of the underground is overwhelming compared to the bright sunshine and the gnomes senses are assaulted by a new scent; the stench of spoiled meat that wafts from the small chambers entrance.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Flavius is back! Talk amongst yourselves.

    Regarding the Arcana checks made by those who were left behind: There's no reported history of that ritual acting in that manner or sensible explanation of how such a thing could happen. The most immediate probability that comes to mind is that the sinkhole has had some effect on the ritual, though it'd require additional study to find out precisely what happened or why.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2012-07-04 at 08:05 PM.
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Flavius
    Oh, oh, oh... that was not something I would like to do again, no it is not... pants Flavius, his hands on his knees as he catches his breath. Irelia would never forgive me if I went and died in the past... he thinks morosely as he scans his companions. What... did I miss?
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecroRebel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Elise

    "You're safe! You're hurt! What happened? Where did you go?" Elise speaks rapidly, not pausing for breath, before panting a bit and answering the gnome's question. "Right after you disappeared, a swarm of undead came at us from the east passage. They were weak, though; Jarl held them off while we blasted them to pieces, so none of us was hurt too badly."

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Flavius
    I... that brute I performed the ritual on... he was sacking Frivale... during ancient Hevian times... I fought him, and his henchmen; presumably, he must have died in combat moments after I left his time and returned here, or the ritual would not have taken me there. I'm not sure how, though; my spells practically bounced off the man, and that weapon... I'm lucky I dodged it as often as I did, but I thing the blows that did hit broke a rib or three... he pants, unceremoniously plopping down on the floor to rest sitting down. I am not performing any more divinations in this sinkhole. I can feel it corrupting the dweomers.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Jarl

    "Sacking it, you say? I wonder why he's interned here then." Jarl says, "You're right, we should be careful with our magics here. It can twist them like these abominations we have against us."
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chambers's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    A low rumbling can be heard from beneath you as the walls give a slight shake and dust and pebbles dance about on the floor. The vibrations last for only a second and the caverns settle down. A rock - or something equally heavy - falls somewhere down a distant passageway and the crash echoes back to you in the antechamber with the sarcophagi. It's clear these catacombs are old and the intense thunder magic recently released seems to have had some marginal effect on the cavern.

    Not enough for it to collapse; Jarl immediately recognizes the vibrations as minor aftershocks, the stone resettling itself. Elise's magic wasn't strong enough to bring the roof down, but was powerful enough to widen a few cracks that were already there...cracks like the ones where the glowing mist is flowing from. The light from the chapel sharply increases in brightness as the patches of fog become denser and pulsate stronger. The mist flows over the ground and mostly dissipates, except for the fog that reaches the bodies of the dispatched ghouls. Tendrils of thick fog snake through the piles of rotten torsos and limbs and you can see the thick black ghoul blood begin to burble and steam.

    One of the ghouls fingers twitches.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Internet is back, hooray.
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reverent-One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Jarl

    "Should have known that had been too easy." Jarl mutters. "Let's see if we can keep these poor souls at rest."

    Walking up to the closest pile of remains, he slices into it again, further demolishing it.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Riley

    "Even though they were weak, I don't want to have to fight those ghouls again. I wonder if there's a way to keep them down?" Riley says with a look of concern. He stabs at the wriggling finger with his dagger, testing the radiant nature of the blade will keep the dead down.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Religion check to see if the combination of the mist is a risk to re-animate the ghouls.
    Religion: (1d20+14)[34]
    Last edited by PChubby; 2012-07-12 at 03:03 AM. Reason: corrected grammar

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scylfing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Valen

    After Flavius' misadventure due to the sinkhole, and still in pain from the earlier onslaught, Valen took a moment of caution to ponder the foul magical affects of the mist upon the ghouls before wading in with the others to dice up the remaining gore.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Arcana: (1d20+18)[30]
    Currently playing: Medinah v.2.0

    Thinkerforged avatar by Rowsen.

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chambers's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Cutting dead bodies is messy work. Chopping and dicing bloated, pus-filled stomachs and rotten arms while trying to keep your balance amidst more of the same is an experience for which messy is simply not adequate to describe it. Riley's blade seems to incinerate the ghoul finger that he stabs. Jarl finds his sword, swordhand, both arms and chest covered in the foul excreta and Valen manages to nearly slip and fall only twice, each time catching himself before going down into the pile.

    More fingers move. Whole arms drag themselves towards the source of the mist. Feet and legs hop up and jump, slip, and slide towards the center of the chapel chamber, while ghoul heads roll over the piles and torsos wiggle their way across. The steaming blood is retreating as well, flowing back and forth under the animate body parts like the tide, if the ocean were a sea of black blood and dismembered limbs were flotsam.

    A shape slowly begins to form inside the dense center of the mist, but the fog patch is too thick to see through. A part of you is glad for that, for the sights that are surely accompanying the sounds that are coming from within it would stay with you for a long time.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Riley - Religion. You know that the patches of Umbral Taint can quickly heal the wounds of any undead creature that stands within it, but all accounts of that require the undead to be animated at the time. It appears as though this instance of Umbral Taint has been either augmented or corrupted by the greater sinkhole and seems to have the power to create new undead from ready material at hand.

    Destroying these areas of psychic corruption is hard, but you've heard that it can be done. The key lies in determining what led to the corruption of the place and somehow cleansing the spirit of the place. Each cleansing ritual is partly unique to the specific area owing to the nature of the corruption, but each involves the same basic aspects of ritual cleansing.

    Valen - Arcana. The mist is in a decidedly more active state now than when you first saw it. It appears to be drawing energy from some other source and using it to animate the dead parts of the ghouls. You easily recognize the necromantic aura of the power involved. In terms of pure magical power, the necromantic aura is easily as powerful as your own spells and you estimate that it is more powerful by an order of magnitude. Not all that energy will be available to whatever creature is created by the mist of course, as the majority of the raw magical energy is spent in the act of creation, but you estimate that whatever final creation emerges will be more powerful than either yourself or your companions, individually.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2012-07-12 at 09:35 PM.
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scylfing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Valen

    Valen suddenly stops what he's doing and slowly backs away toward the passageway they'd used earlier as a choke point, a look of grave concern on his face.

    "Um, guys. Whatever it is that's coming through that fog, is more powerful than any of us, and cutting up these cadaver parts isn't stopping it. I suggest we prepare ourselves," he warns, pointing his radiant blade at the undead monster forming in the mist.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Would I be able to attack it with Trust in the Guide Star while it's still forming in the fog? The attack ignores total concealment and invisibility.
    Currently playing: Medinah v.2.0

    Thinkerforged avatar by Rowsen.

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecroRebel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Elise

    "That fog, I thought it would just strengthen and restore any abominations that went through it, but it's actually reanimating the bits! I don't know of any way to get rid of it, since even my wind spells don't seem to stop it, but if we can destroy the parts, or force them out of the mist, we might be able to do away with them permanently."

    Moving back to where she had annihilated the ghouls before Flavius returned, Elise begins chanting in the tongue of giants, the dust beginning to shift about her feet, as she prepares to strike at the undead she is now sure are forming.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm guessing we don't actually get a short rest before the next battle occurs. Sad panda. Oh well, the only thing I personally wouldn't recover that I might want is Thunder Bomb.

    Oh, and for everyone, the relevant lore-post for the fog's effects would appear to be this one.

    Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Health: 102/102
    Surges Remaining: 7/8
    AC: 28
    Fort: 23
    Ref: 26
    Will: 32

    Encounter/Daily Powers:
    Shadow Claws
    Use Vulnerability
    Swirling Stars
    Thunder Bomb
    Wind Burst
    Primordial Storm
    Narrow Escape
    Feather Fall

    Sun's Illumination
    Howling Hurricane
    Prismatic Lightning
    Deep Shroud
    Arcane Empowerment
    Zephyr Wings


    Item Powers:
    Feyweave Robe of Bloodwalking +4
    Quickbeam Staff of the War Mage +3
    Torc of Power Presevation +3
    War Ring
    Antipathy Gloves
    Bridle of Conjuration
    Restful Bedroll

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scylfing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Valen

    Valen's brow furrows in response to something Elise said.

    "Get rid of...the mist. Of course! The mist is like the sinkhole, we have to find whatever's powering it and...ugh," he stops suddenly, his excitedness giving way to momentary despair as he remembered the pain of opening his mind up to the sinkhole's corruption.

    Shaking his head free of those thoughts, he gritted his teeth and continued. "Well, at least I know what I'm getting into," he said determinedly, then sheathing his blade, closing his eyes and reaching for his temples, the warlock opened his mind up to whatever fell deeds took place here to cause so much corruption.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Do I need to roll for anything here?
    Currently playing: Medinah v.2.0

    Thinkerforged avatar by Rowsen.

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chambers's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nashvegas, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Valen's eyes roll into the back of his head and he slumps to the ground, unconscious but breathing.

    Valen

    The sickening sights and sounds of the chapel fade as you close your mind to the physical realm and reach out to the psychic energy within the catacombs. At first you sense nothing but the blackness, a void of all sensation that is quickly replaced with the overwhelming malevolent presence of the sinkhole. You feel the corruption of the chapel as a once holy place that is sickened with a disease, and a malevolent intelligence rushing towards you, seeking to crush your mind. Unlike before you knew what to expect, and your mind refracts the presence as it enters your psyche. Years of training with Llewellyn has trained your mind to comprehend alien intelligence's and though this one is different than the stars that you call by name, it appears to function similarly on some basic level. The psychic representation of the chapel is shattered into a million points of light that hang suspended in the night sky, the presence of the sinkhole trapped behind each one.

    Familiar with this mental construct of the astral, your mind is able to reassert itself and deflect the overbearing presence...for the moment. You can feel each point of light on your silvery astral form, but it does not penetrate. The stars slowly move in the void, arranging themselves into unfamiliar constellations that you recognize as representations of the chapel. A few clumps of stars swirl together, creating whirlpools of light around a center point of absolute darkness. In your stargazing, you know these as black holes, the ultimate prisons for entities too terrible to be allowed to roam free. In this mental construct of the astral, they hold the presence of the sinkhole.

    One group of constellations show petitioners surrounding a dead body, lain to rest in a sarcophagus. Another shows a series of winding passages that don't seem to have an end. A third group of constellations draws your attention as the light they shine flickers through the spectrum. The scene shows individual yellow lights approaching a group of purple lights, and one by one the yellow lights burn through the entire spectrum and fade away to a dim red. The exhausted red lights float down below the purple and form into a slowly swirling mass. The red lights appear to be moving at random, though they never go far away from the purple lights above them. After a time the flow of yellow lights stops and the purple lights flash themselves and sink down to join the red.
    The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai Me.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scylfing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Guildmage [IC]

    Valen

    Foolish, he thought, Throwing so many lives away, including their own when no others were to left to be taken, and for what? A curse to regenerate the undead? Why would the purple ones want that if they were just going to become a part of it? It may be there is a mass grave back in the chapel that needs redeeming, but I'd like to see more light shed on what was here before. How was it that a holy place came to contain such malevolent forces as those?

    And so Valen, acting within the context of the astral, attempts to peer deeper into the cosmic history of the umbral constellation, looking for the time when those purple stars were born into the chapel's universe.
    Currently playing: Medinah v.2.0

    Thinkerforged avatar by Rowsen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •