New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Legend Of Korra: Will It Bend!

This episode really showed that while the brothers might be good at pro bending in a real fight their techniques aren't so good.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    I was sad that the episodes don't air in Canada, but I saw them on the Nick website. Personally, I think the episode was a bit below average. It seemed as if they were trying to cram to much information into too little time. It's better in hindsight, though, because it was a necessary infodump.

Spoiler
    Show

Amon's face stolen, you say?
    Power granted by spirits, you say?
    Probably evil spirits, you say?
    Power he can use against an arrogant, waterbender avatar, you say?

Koh, you manipulative bastard, what have you been up to?
    It's not that spirit. Here's why:
    Spoiler
    Show

Amon has eyes.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Amon's face stolen, you say?
    He directly stated a fire burnt his face, so no. There goes your theory.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

I should probably just get the season pass. I still have about forty dollars of unspent iTunes money from Christmas. But I'm worried about the memory on my iPad, I have the entire first series on it and that took up a lot of memory, even with 32 gigabits of it. Plus I've got a couple dozen app games.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    And obviously evil extremists never lie to gain support, do they?

Not that I think Koh took his face (he has eyes).
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but the dude's wearing a mask, and he's a villain. Taking everything he says at face value is maybe not the best idea.

That said, it's not the thing that was suggested, because Koh takes your whole face, and we saw Amon's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I should probably just get the season pass. I still have about forty dollars of unspent iTunes money from Christmas. But I'm worried about the memory on my iPad, I have the entire first series on it and that took up a lot of memory, even with 32 gigabits of it. Plus I've got a couple dozen app games.
    Do it! The HD episodes look so good.
    Last edited by LordVader; 2012-04-21 at 03:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Couple of ideas.

On mooks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Likewise, Bolin flung a single tile at the Lieutenant and then watched it sail away, instead of striking while the guy was in the air and helpless. It's pretty clear that the Fire Ferrets have a lot to learn about not being crap at fighting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not surprising, is it? Mako and Bolin aren't fighters; they're athletes. When they have to bend quickly, the first thing they fall back on is the pro-bending style. Mako seems to adapt pretty quickly, which makes sense; he probably did most of the fighting for the brothers when they were on the streets, and his Firebending style in a bending match probably converts to real combat more easily. Bolin needs some real combat training if he's going to hang around Korra, tho. The clay target-discs he's comfortable with throwing around in the bending arena don't have too much relevance to actual fights.

As for Korra.. yeah, if she stopped to think she probably could have handled that, but as characterized so far? She likes close combat, and she doesn't have any experience sparring with people who have that kind of mobility- only Airbenders and Ty Lee's circus acrobatics move that fast, and she's had all her training sparring with Earth, Fire, and Waterbenders.. she'll handle the chi-blocker style better when she starts really getting Airbending, I'll wager, or maybe if she leans harder on the principles of Waterbending.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    And obviously evil extremists never lie to gain support, do they?

Not that I think Koh took his face (he has eyes).
    If he was a sneaky, underhanded villain, why would he let the benders fight him before he took their bending? We don't have any reason to believe he's the lying type.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

i just realized. for a normal amon's fighting style is surprisingly slow, especially compared to his chi blocker troops. im guessing he's older.

for korra fighting. she's used to fighting benders. her preferred tactic seems to be getting in close and overwhelming other benders with physical strength. she's not used to someone who's more dangerous at point blank range.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    Do it! The HD episodes look so good.
    Aaaand it's not working. I deleted the first episode. Tried to get it again (I wanted to see what the SD looked like) and it didn't work. Bought the HD season pass, it says it's purchased (I can't click on it to try to get it again either, it's grayed out), the money's out of my account, and it doesn't say I have any downloads. Don't know if it's downloading or not. I'll check it again in an hour or so. On the upside, if I did purchase it, and it eventually decides it's not downloading, I can just try again for free.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

If he was a sneaky, underhanded villain, why would he let the benders fight him before he took their bending? We don't have any reason to believe he's the lying type.
    To demonstrate his power, and reassure all of the citizens at the rally that he can indeed overthrow the benders. His supporters need to know that they're backing someone capable of taking on the best benders Republic City has to offer. QED.

We have reason to believe he's the lying type because it seems shockingly atypical for the spirit world to turn on the Avatar, and because we have no indication that spirits can grant Energybending or anything similar.

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    i just realized. for a normal amon's fighting style is surprisingly slow, especially compared to his chi blocker troops. im guessing he's older.

for korra fighting. she's used to fighting benders. her preferred tactic seems to be getting in close and overwhelming other benders with physical strength. she's not used to someone who's more dangerous at point blank range.
    Excellent point! I really love the brute strength and physicality of Korra's fighting style; for example, she took down Wrench Man, a huge, muscly guy, without ever needing bending.

It's really an awesome change from Aang, who had to use bending most of the time in order to compensate for his small physical size. Korra's brute-force fighting is almost as dangerous as her bending.

Her martial ability is going to make her a hell of a threat once she learns Airbending, which will both help her keep chi-blockers away and turn her into a whirling dervish of ass-kicking thanks to the mobility it grants.
    Last edited by LordVader; 2012-04-21 at 03:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Couple of ideas.

On mooks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Likewise, Bolin flung a single tile at the Lieutenant and then watched it sail away, instead of striking while the guy was in the air and helpless. It's pretty clear that the Fire Ferrets have a lot to learn about not being crap at fighting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're assuming he had enough time to do so, but the guy was only in the air for a second. It took him about as long to pull up the second tile he threw (because he actually threw two) as it did for the Lieutenant to jump the first one. And then when then Lieutenant dodged that one he got scared and tried to put up the wall.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Because he's an *******? He knows full well he can beat them, he just wants to make a show of giving them a chance to keep their bending. It's not some display of honour, if that's what you're suggesting.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Still, it'd be better to throw big, honking chunks of road than the equivalent of probending discs. The classic Toph stratagem of "pillar of rock" would also do much better, I think.

Just look at Korra's earthbending in combat; she uses big, solid eruptions of earth from the ground. That's a much better way of fighting with Earthbending than throwing thin, easily dodged discs.
    Last edited by LordVader; 2012-04-21 at 03:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

Still, it'd be better to throw big, honking chunks of road than the equivalent of probending discs. The classic Toph stratagem of "pillar of rock" would also do much better, I think.

Just look at Korra's earthbending in combat; she uses big, solid eruptions of earth from the ground. That's a much better way of fighting with Earthbending than throwing thin, easily dodged discs.
    Eh, he was throwing some good sized chunks of rock there, it's debatable whether they're "easily dodged" or just that the Lieutenant was that good. It's not like nobody in the show can dodge the "eruption" type earthbending attacks.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not that spirit. Here's why:
    [spoiler]
    Amon has eyes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oops...

I suppose it probably isn't Koh, then. While it's still technically possible that he set this up somehow without actually stealing Amon's face (or that Amon painted on fake eyes or something), but the stolen face was really the only thing that set Koh apart from other, avatar-hating spirits, so it could be anything.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Eh, he was throwing some good sized chunks of rock there, it's debatable whether they're "easily dodged" or just that the Lieutenant was that good. It's not like nobody in the show can dodge the "eruption" type earthbending attacks.
    It's simple logic. What's easier to dodge, an attack you see coming, or one you don't? People can dodge the giant pillars of rock, yes, but it's going to be harder to evade both due to its sheer size and the fact that it's harder to see where it's being aimed.

Also, the earthbender maintains control over the pillar while it's in movement, whereas with launched rocks once it's in the air you can't guide it midflight.

Throwing decent-sized rocks isn't a terrible way to fight with Earthbending, but it's definitely not as effective as the ground-based strategy Korra uses.
    Last edited by LordVader; 2012-04-21 at 03:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

So a few days ago I asked about Korra having no money and that was answered in this episode, privileged upbringing syndrome. So maybe this will be answered next week:

Given that Korra was trained in Waterbending by Katara, do we think she knows how to heal?

19. - Top - End - #559
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Re: Mako's day job:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think we have enough hints from this episode to say lightning-bending is still pretty rare. First, Mako says he makes 'good money' for a single day of channeling lightning into an..engine/turbine/whatever. If this were something almost any firebender off the street could do, it wouldn't be well-paid; it'd be as close to unskilled labor as you can get for a job that requires bending. The fact that Mako can make an appreciable amount of money in a single day indicates that lightning bending is still unusual enough to be highly-valued.

Second, the head of one of the crime gangs apparently takes his street name from his ability to lightning bend. He wouldn't do that if it weren't considered impressive and unusual; you don't make gang names out of things everybody can do. So, I am assuming: The ability to lightning bend is still unusual, found only in unusually powerful and/or skilled benders. The ability to do so with enough speed and power to be useful in combat is even rarer, to the point where it may be the reason 'Lightning Bolt' Zolt is in charge of his particular triad.
    Spoiler
    Show
    First of all, we don't know what Mako considers good money, but considering his situation it's probably not much. Henry Ford was considered incredibly generous when he payed his factory workers $14 an hour in today's money, which was about twice as much as most of his competitors. Given the low percentage of benders in the population (only a fraction of which are firebenders), and what I'm presuming is a huge demand for electricity in Republic City, lightning bending doesn't have to be an incredibly rare technique to command considerable wages.

Granted, Lightning Bending probably isn't something that every firebender can pull off, but if say half or a third of them can, that's still a lot of lightning benders.

Lightning Bolt Zolt probably took his nickname from preferring and being good with lightning, not from being the only Triad member who could do it in combat. In the real world we have gangsters with names like Icepick. That implies that that they like to use an icepick, not that they're the only ones who can get their hands on one.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Also, the earthbender maintains control over the pillar while it's in movement, whereas with launched rocks once it's in the air you can't guide it midflight.

Disagree. The Dai Li were able to manipulate their rock gloves mid-flight.

Bolin specifically may not be able to control them mid-flight (he looked like he was having to put some serious effort into everything he did in the fight, which was a little off-putting, being used to Toph & Aang), but Earthbenders can.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

Given that Korra was trained in Waterbending by Katara, do we think she knows how to heal?
    I seem to remember that Katara herself was surprised to learn she could heal. if I get this right, it's not a power every waterbender has, and can't be taught if it isn't there. but I might be wrong on this

on mooks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tay Lee was up against some of the best and most experienced benders of her day, and managed to close in on them, reducing the distances in a heartbeat. these guys seem to have learned the same tricks, and are up against relatively green opponents. mako and bolin may have a bit of streetfighting experience, but have been "athletes" for some time now, in other words, they learned to bend on the streets, and later bending tricks revolve mainly around pro-bending, with it's limitations and rules. proof of this is that Bolin's main attacks were pretty much pro-bending style instead of just bending 2 walls in his opponents' faces.
    Korra has had the best of teachers and training, but virtually no real combat experience in a life and death situation. plus she's never seen chi blockers before. the thugs had it easy.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I seem to remember that Katara herself was surprised to learn she could heal. if I get this right, it's not a power every waterbender has, and can't be taught if it isn't there. but I might be wrong on this

She was surprised that she specifically could heal. But it seemed that the Northern Tribe taught all female Waterbenders healing.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Bolin specifically may not be able to control them mid-flight (he looked like he was having to put some serious effort into everything he did in the fight, which was a little off-putting, being used to Toph & Aang), but Earthbenders can.
    Bolin probably hasn't really earthbent at all outside of the pro bending discs for while so it would stand to reason that having to use earth that he cuts and shapes himself is straining.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I'd be willing to put money on Korra having the *potential* to heal- if nothing else, there's almost certainly a Water-nation Avatar somewhere in the past who had the ability to heal, so the Avatar State gestalt could do it. And she had access to Katara as a master, so she'd have every opportunity to learn it if she can do it.. but I would also guess that healing requires a style of bending and application of energy that is almost entirely opposed to Korra's personality, and so she finds it impossible to do in much the same way she is having trouble understanding Airbending. It's not that she is incapable of doing it, it just doesn't fit her understanding. (And having your healer throw a tantrum of uncontrolled energy in the middle of a healing exercise because it's too hard is.. probably bad.)

25. - Top - End - #565
    Troll in the Playground

This. Especially the bolded part. Though I will point out the rocks he was throwing did seem to curve, so he seems to have some mid-flight control. But combined with how much (or more accurately, how not so much) of a wall he had had up by the time the guy crossed the distance between them, I'm thinking he's just not as powerful a bender as Toph (who was basically a master when we met her) or Aang (avatar) at the moment.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

So how long before the equalists go against the metalbending police?

It seems like the police are quite good benders and have some serious agility, they might be able to put up a good fight.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post

It seems like the police are quite good benders and have some serious agility, they might be able to put up a good fight.
    IIRC in the season trailer we saw the arena on fire and Korra swinging away on a rope with Lin. So I'm guessing it'll happen sooner rather than later.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post

Thinking about it, they seem to have an advantage towards some of the mooks, as I'd guess the Chi-blockers would have trouble hitting the points through their armor, but a distinct disadvantage versus some of the other ones, since metal + shock sticks = ow. How many guys with shock sticks the equalists have in any given fight will probably be important.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Thinking about it, they seem to have an advantage towards some of the mooks, as I'd guess the Chi-blockers would have trouble hitting the points through their armor, but a distinct disadvantage versus some of the other ones, since metal + shock sticks = ow. How many guys with shock sticks the equalists have in any given fight will probably be important.
    They are still earthbenders so putting up walls and earth armor shouldn't be to hard against the shock stick guys.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Or they armor themselves completely in metal like Toph did in the end of last season and suddenly become completely immune to everything that the equalists can throw at them. Chi-blocking: stopped by armor. Electricity: armor becomes a ground that makes the guy inside immune.