New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Legend Of Korra: Will It Bend!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    No, Roku had trouble with water, while Avatar Kurruk, the waterbending avatar before Korra, was male.
    This isn't particularly relevant. What was said boils down to this:
    • Korra has trouble with air. The male avatar prior to Korra was Aang, an airbender.
    • Aang has trouble with earth. The female avatar prior to Aang was Kyoshi, an earthbender.
    • Thus, there is a pattern in that avatars have trouble with the element of the prior bender of the opposite sex.

The question is whether the last female avatar prior to Roku bent water, not whether the last waterbender prior to Roku was female.

That said, I'd consider this hypothesis a reach, given that we have nowhere near enough data to conclude it.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Colossus in the Playground

I wonder what energybending originally did, before there was any elemental bending to remove? Maybe we'll find out if:
    Spoiler
    Show

Korra gets her bending taken away, leaving only the spiritual aspect of the avatar, so she needs to learn how to be more spiritual and how to fight without bending to defeat Amon.

I don't think it's very likely, but it would certainly be interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    For Korra it would be a better bet to grind punching, rather than kick up her spirit powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #723
    Troll in the Playground

The female avatar before Roku was Kiyoshi.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, and the element he had trouble with was Water, as he admitted when he talked about his training in the four elements. Thus, the theory that an avatar has trouble with the element of the previous avatar of the opposite sex is neatly disproved.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #725
    Troll in the Playground

Amon isn't bluffing. At least, I'm certain that him actually having that ability would be a much wiser approach to take. Korra needs spiritual growth, something she lacks. Amon is the perfect vehicle to get Korra mastering the spiritual aspect of the four elements, since he can take away the three she already knows and force her to search for teachers in the world and relearn them.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Troll in the Playground

Amon isn't bluffing. At least, I'm certain that him actually having that ability would be a much wiser approach to take. Korra needs spiritual growth, something she lacks. Amon is the perfect vehicle to get Korra mastering the spiritual aspect of the four elements, since he can take away the three she already knows and force her to search for teachers in the world and relearn them.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned as a possibility regarding Amon ...

Spoiler
    Show
    Crazy conspiracy theory time. It was established that Zolt knew something big was going down. (Otherwise he wouldn't have been hiring extra muscle). The "something big" was probably the Revelation. Would it be possible that Zolt is in cahoots with Amon, and the "energybending" was just an act to stir up support for Amon? They do have common interests (antagonistic to the police and not much liking the new Avatar).

The big hole with that theory is Bolin. He obviously didn't know what was going on. However, we do know that the Revelation was actually interrupted by Korra, so we don't know for 100% certain what Amon had planned. It's possible that a flashy rescue by the Avatar was exactly what he was hoping for - "See! They're scared!" - "Bad Avatar, stop inciting riots!" - with the image of a bender begging for his powers (and Amon benevolently granting him his wish if he takes a message back to the authorities) as a backup plan.
    Speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show

While I do not see Zolt willing to go through with such a spectacle with Amon before the Revelation, I can see him and his fellow gang members working with him after it.

Think about it, a gang of ruffians who made a fortune by using their bending powers to abuse others. Now they don't have bending, they need someone to cling to. After all, what happens to them after losing their bending? It isn't really shown in the episode, but they cannot muscle their way back to the top, unless they hire other benders I suppose. Plus, they probably have a lot of enemies, so if they can hook up with Amon, even if they don't wield the influence they used to have, at least they aren't being thrown to the mob.

This could also provide some low level henchmen for the villains, since as bending fighters, they might not be super great at fighting without bending.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

!!Wild theory alert!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know, I've been thinking. That maybe just maybe Amon was telling the truth. He did receive energy-bending from the spirit-world because the avatar wasn't keeping balance. Because if you think about it. We have Aang. He vanished for 100 years, leaving the balance a mess. Sure he tried to help and solve the problems he created, and so the spirits cut him some slack. Then he dies and the new avatar is little more than an energetic thug (Come on, she's nice, but her first instinct is to pound people with bending.), who completely ignores the spiritual section of being avatar. She's one element away from completing her training and at least 3 years past Aangs training completion date (if you count it from Aangs perspective) and has no spiritual experience at all. It seems to me that the spirits, being intelligent beings in their own right, might start to look for other options to keep the balance between the two worlds, at which point they start up negotiations with Amon. And that may be a major plot point will be Korra trying to convince the spirits that she can and will do her job as avatar thus cutting Amon off from spiritual back-up.

It seems to me that maybe, just maybe, the spirits are a feeling little bit jilted.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    by the way, since an Earth Avatar will be next, who do think they will be like?
    My proposal: Fraternal triplets, all earthbenders, each with one additional bending ability from the Avatar (air, water, or fire).

And then Avatar Tesla.

As for Korra, I'm on the energybending side for now, although I suspect it's not that simple. I'm betting Book 2 will be Energy, and Amon is just the first round. Perhaps he comes from a lost continent of energybenders or some such.

And on a related matter, I just finished a speed run through the entirety of the first series. After watching the first two episodes of Korra I realized how much I'd forgotten. It was quite fun.

10. - Top - End - #730

PirateCaptain

Just thought this. It's madness, Epileptic Tree Madness, but:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amon is Aang. Somehow he was resurrected and is now not the Avatar nor a Bender (due to the Avatar spirit going to the next person in the cycle). He still has Energybending, it was mentioned that only Aang ever managed to Energybend after his fight with Ozai (though Tenzen could be wrong), can commune with spirits (unconfirmed), and hides his face because otherwise people would recognize him. He's gone evil with the loss of his bending and/or he's reached the point where he realizes how inherently unfair bending is and how corrupt some of it's practitioners are.

Personally, I'd be p***ed if this was true for obvious reasons. Just throwing it out there for dismemberment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #731

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Yes, and the element he had trouble with was Water, as he admitted when he talked about his training in the four elements. Thus, the theory that an avatar has trouble with the element of the previous avatar of the opposite sex is neatly disproved.

GW
    Not merely a double-post, its a seven-post! Congratulations Sir! :P
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    !!Wild theory alert!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know, I've been thinking. That maybe just maybe Amon was telling the truth. He did receive energy-bending from the spirit-world because the avatar wasn't keeping balance. Because if you think about it. We have Aang. He vanished for 100 years, leaving the balance a mess. Sure he tried to help and solve the problems he created, and so the spirits cut him some slack. Then he dies and the new avatar is little more than an energetic thug (Come on, she's nice, but her first instinct is to pound people with bending.), who completely ignores the spiritual section of being avatar. She's one element away from completing her training and at least 3 years past Aangs training completion date (if you count it from Aangs perspective) and has no spiritual experience at all. It seems to me that the spirits, being intelligent beings in their own right, might start to look for other options to keep the balance between the two worlds, at which point they start up negotiations with Amon. And that may be a major plot point will be Korra trying to convince the spirits that she can and will do her job as avatar thus cutting Amon off from spiritual back-up.

It seems to me that maybe, just maybe, the spirits are a feeling little bit jilted.

...this does seem possible...

Wanted an excuse to use this gif.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-04-23 at 07:28 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

What I want to know is what happened to Azula. She's charismatic (She was able to get the Dai Li away from Long Feng), powerful, and dangerous. A bendingless Ozai may be out of the global politics game. End-of-Season Azula was far too insane to rally anybody, but if she calmed down and got out of whatever prison Zuko stuck her in she could rally the Fire Nation troops, pull off a coup against her brother, and restart the war. She already has a nation full of soldiers and a culture that's had a hundred years to convince itself that global conquest was a good thing, Sozen started with less (Although he didn't have an Avatar to deal with, but the goal here is prevention. Aang's presence wouldn't stop Azula from trying to pull off a coup).
    Do you think Aang gave her the 'ol Energybending treatment as well? Did she just spend the rest of her life locked away with her madness?
    The difficulty of holding a Firebender of her caliber would be there, but they just put Iroh in what looked like your standard Three-walls and Metal Bars cell, which sounds pretty Firebender proof to me. All you have to do is keep your guards out of the room when she starts throwing fire through the bars. (It was not Iroh Proof, but what is).

Hrmm, I wonder how they imprison Earthbenders, now that Metalbending is a thing. I suppose you could have a wooden jail, or send them up north where the Waterbenders have carved a jail out of ice.
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-04-23 at 07:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    !!Wild theory alert!!
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    This doesn't make much sense. Most avatars take 16 years until they even find out about that they are the avatar, and Roku took around 30 until he became a fully realised avatar. If the spirits didn't mind 112 years of disorder, why would they care about a measly 17 years?

I think that if there's a conflict in the spirit world, it's between particular spirits, and not the spirit world as a whole, and time probably isn't the issue. Maybe it's one of the non-bending spirits, since not all spirits grant bending like the moon and ocean spirits do, and it's jealous that some spirits are worshipped and it isn't. Maybe it's the spirit of the sun, that hates the fact that firebenders are still abusing their power. It could even be the spirit of trees that wants to wipe out airbending so that trees don't get epileptic seizures anymore. We just don't have enough information yet; the only lead led to Koh, and that was already disproven.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm caught up!

I like the theory about the spirits possibly siding with Amon due to Korra's rather irritating secularness - not to mention that of the entire world, which has already turned to building metropolises instead of shrines.

But as far as "travelling the world to learn from spiritual teachers..." She has the main human teacher she'd need (Tenzin) - only the actual spirits could teach her more. (And he could stand a lesson or two himself, bureaucrat-monk that he is.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #736
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Hrmm, I wonder how they imprison Earthbenders, now that Metalbending is a thing. I suppose you could have a wooden jail, or send them up north where the Waterbenders have carved a jail out of ice.
    As far as we know, nobody's been able to replicate Bumi's facebending technique yet, so that's still on the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    This doesn't make much sense. Most avatars take 16 years until they even find out about that they are the avatar, and Roku took around 30 until he became a fully realised avatar. If the spirits didn't mind 112 years of disorder, why would they care about a measly 17 years?

I think that if there's a conflict in the spirit world, it's between particular spirits, and not the spirit world as a whole, and time probably isn't the issue. Maybe it's one of the non-bending spirits, since not all spirits grant bending like the moon and ocean spirits do, and it's jealous that some spirits are worshipped and it isn't. Maybe it's the spirit of the sun, that hates the fact that firebenders are still abusing their power. It could even be the spirit of trees that wants to wipe out airbending so that trees don't get epileptic seizures anymore. We just don't have enough information yet; the only lead led to Koh, and that was already disproven.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes but they also spent longer on each element didn't they? Learning the spiritual/philosophical side, as well as the martial art.

And evidence suggested they didn't like it. I doubt the amount of random spirit-world help Aang got was normal for the Avatar.

Anyway. The point is even if it is early, Korra is almost out of training and her only spiritual adviser is to be an airbender.

That might annoy at least the other patron element spirits.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I kind of doubt that Korra is going to leave Republic City anytime soon. As much as I would love to see Ba-Sing-Se again I don't think that we're going to have anything as simple as Korra traveling the world to learn spirituality.

Instead I think we'll have Korra learning that being the Avatar means much more than just punching people in the face. It means you have to be a leader and an inspiration as much as a warrior. Aang was very spiritual, but he wasn't effective because he went around lecturing people about spirituality. His spirituality was mostly reflected in his personal behavior (vegetarian, unwilling to kill even his worst enemy in order to prevent Genocide), but it served as a moral guide for him that made him very effective.
    So far, Korra just wants to punch things. In the Face. She stepped in to stop the Triad from threatening the Shopkeeper, but even then she had a grin on her face as if to say "Oh boy! Bad Guys! Those are the ones I get to punch!" rather than genuine concern for the Shopkeeper, or outrage at the Triad.

They're not going to turn Korra into Aang anytime soon, but they might be able to teach her when punching faces is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

19. - Top - End - #739
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    As far as we know, nobody's been able to replicate Bumi's facebending technique yet, so that's still on the table.
    Perhaps allowing no movement for years and years wouldn't be the best way to rehabilitate criminals. That'd really just create Earthbending psychopaths.

Metalbending still seems to be a bit of a speciality (If I'm not mistaken, we've only seen the police do it) so it might not be that much of an issue yet. I mean, the firebenders on the Boiling Rock could've potentially just have jetpacked themselves away, a la Azula, but none were badass enough. Alternatively, now we have the Chi-benders, so they might just continually hit the prisoners in the forehead every few minutes.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Roboto View Post
    Alternatively, now we have the Chi-benders, so they might just continually hit the prisoners in the forehead every few minutes.
    No we don't. We have Amon. He's just one guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Troll in the Playground

or maybe they just stick them on an island somewhere and shoot them with ballistae if they try to escape.
    benders are strong, not supermen. put them in tactically compromised positions against heavy weapons and they go down like anyone else.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    No we don't. We have Amon. He's just one guy.
    Well, he's talking about then being all King Bumi-chained up. Smacking their face-Chakra would stop them from facebending, and thus stop escaping. He isn't saying that the chi blockers can just steal power forever, he's saying that someone who can block chakras can just walk up and down smacking prisoners in the face to make sure they can't earthbend with their noses. But really, needing much facilities sounds a bit unneeded. Just KILL the guy if you're so scared of his super bendingness you fear he can kill you with his nose.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

I really hope Aang took Azula's Bending too. Leaving her with Bending is just asking for trouble.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    or maybe they just stick them on an island somewhere and shoot them with ballistae if they try to escape.
    benders are strong, not supermen. put them in tactically compromised positions against heavy weapons and they go down like anyone else.
    thing is, the heavy weaponry is made of bending too. if I'm an earthbender and you stick me on an island, I just burrow down, start digging a tunnel, and then walk underground towards the nearest coast. you'll never even know I left the island.

Korra isn't late on her training by anyone's standards other than Aang's, and he had to do a rushed job and was STILL 100 years late, according to the world's calendar.

for Amon to be credible as a threat without energybending, I do believe that he's found a way to increase the duration of the chi-blocking to at least months, otherwise his planned revolution would drown at the first resurgence of bending in any of his victims. for all we know, he's taught the techniques to an elite of his mooks and they have simply refrained using them until the big reveal of last episode. no, I don't think that's what will happen..but the simple fact is we don't have enough data to be sure of anything at this stage
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

25. - Top - End - #745
    Troll in the Playground

I think we have more than enough to assume he's an energy bender. He's the main villain for crying out loud, of course he's going to have some nasty tricks up his sleeves. Plus I've often found that no one lies quite as much as fans assume they do in media, and when they do it serves a major narrative purpose which we have so far seen no evidence of.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #746

Is it bad that I'm kind of with Amon and the Equalists?

I mean equality between bender and non-bender would be nice. It also might be because there is no non-bender in Korra's Krew yet, but from what I saw of the previews it didn't look like there was going to be.

27. - Top - End - #747

dunno if anyone's posted it yet re: amon.

Spoiler
    Show
    there is a fair amount of evidence to believe that, instead of energy bending, Amon is "merely" a master of chi manipulation who is deliberately invoking the appearance of Energy bending as a psychological weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Blights are halted by the heroic, self-sacrificial actions of a couple of dudes. Throwing them into a land containing the ur-example of the modern pulp fantasy warrior is rather like tossing a sponge in the Pacific and wondering if it'll get wet.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    I think we have more than enough to assume he's an energy bender. He's the main villain for crying out loud, of course he's going to have some nasty tricks up his sleeves. Plus I've often found that no one lies quite as much as fans assume they do in media, and when they do it serves a major narrative purpose which we have so far seen no evidence of.
    yeah... no
    energybending is flashy and green. Amon has no flash..and we've seen him do his thing. so far, you're the one who is making assumptions

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    dunno if anyone's posted it yet re: amon.

Spoiler
    Show
    there is a fair amount of evidence to believe that, instead of energy bending, Amon is "merely" a master of chi manipulation who is deliberately invoking the appearance of Energy bending as a psychological weapon.
    I really don't mean to be rude..but it would help if people would read at least the last 2 pages of the thread prior to repeating something that has been the center of debate of said 2 pages (and more)... so far I do think you're the 4th or 5th who has come up with this thought and posted it without realizing that everybody else was already debating this possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by WitchSlayer View Post

I mean equality between bender and non-bender would be nice. It also might be because there is no non-bender in Korra's Krew yet, but from what I saw of the previews it didn't look like there was going to be.
    mmh so far we've only got the word of the protesters to tell us that there is inequality. we don't know that this is true. for all we've seen in the previous series, it's the benders who do most of the hard work (admittedly, because it's easier for everybody that way). maybe there has been a shift of balance, in this respect, in Republic City..but I doubt it.
    thugs and criminals may give bending a bad name, but police benders should even things out. one could say they're ineffective, but that's it..not that they're benders and therefore in cahoots with the criminals in a social status based fight.
    I do understand though why a non bender trying to rise to power would use those arguments.
    To me the protest reeks of being one of those revolutionary movements where most of the activists don't really want a slice of the cake to go to everybody but are rather just upset that they personally aren't getting any (cake)
    there are always a few zealots who believe in the cause, but most of the people involved usually are so because they have an empty stomach..not a hightened sense of social inequality. give them a little something for their support, and they'll lay back patting their satisfied belly. The people at the top usually know how to play the tunes that stirr the empty stomach and give it a moral ground to stand on.
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-04-24 at 03:54 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WitchSlayer View Post

No, they have a solid point. The trouble is that the problem isn't benders per se, it's the way people react to having power. Getting rid of benders would cause much of society in the avatarverse to collapse. Benders are key to their technology, standard of living, environmental protection, and quite frankly to keeping humanity from being treated as a midnight munchy by some of the giant carnivorous monsters we've seen roaming around.

Unfortunately, bending also lends itself well to combat. Ridiculously so, which has stagnated military technology in universe (because why put the research into effective guns when you can shoot people with mind-bullets/flamethrowers/cryothrowers?), and the criminal element gains a massive incentive to use it (military grade weapon that by its nature can't be regulated? No brainer there). Since the military has it, and the criminals want it enough to get it, the police force needs some on staff. So now we have key components of society, of which some will be opressive (see the Dai Li or the Triple Threat Triads or the Fire Nation military) with colossal personal power. And a society where power seems to have been both hereditary and correlated with bending/control over benders historically. It's no wonder people associate the one with the other, even if it's not strictly the problem. And non-benders have little recourse to defend themselves from aggression: the height of non-bending weaponry appears to be the sword/bow/simple petards.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

Crazy theory time
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amon is Sokkas and Zukis son. Ya see after his parents were killed he would have been raised by the rest of the Kyoshi Warriors and from them I would learn and master chi blocking (I don't think that he has energy bending mostly since he doesn't touch the same chakras as Aang did) and developed in secret a long term version of it.

Looking over his fathers random sketches and plans he finds the design for the shock sticks and possibly some other items (possibly the motorcycles since they looked quite high tech compared to the rest of the vehicles) and finally his parents never got the same respect for saving the world as the benders of the group being the only non-benders.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled