New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Dragon Racial Class for Gestalt Campaign

I made this class for a player who wanted to play a dragon character. Now normally dragons are far too powerful for your standard campaign, but because this particular campaign was a gestalt campaign, he could count the dragon class as two classes and it would be fairly balanced. There is alot of info not currently included on this class, but such info is readily accessible in the monster manual, draconomicon, Races of the Dragon and Dragon Magic.

Dragon Racial Levels
    LVL BAB--------------------------FO RE WI SPECIAL
    01 +1---------------------------+02 +02 +02 Breath Weapon 1d6, Dragon Racial Traits, Natural Armor, Draconic Spellcasting
    02 +2---------------------------+03 +03 +03 +2 CON, +2 STR
    03 +3---------------------------+03 +03 +03 Breath Weapon 2d6
    04 +4---------------------------+04 +04 +04 Metamorphosis [Very Young] (1000gp), +2 CHA, +2 STR, Spell-like Ability
    05 +5---------------------------+04 +04 +04 Breath Weapon 3d6 , Spell Resistance 5+Level
    06 +6/+1----------------------+05 +05 +05 Breath Channeling, Draconic, Metabreath, or Monstrous Feat
    07 +7/+2----------------------+05 +05 +05 Breath Weapon 4d6
    08 +8/+3----------------------+06 +06 +06 Metamorphosis [Young] (5000gp), +2 CON, +2 STR
    09 +9/+4----------------------+06 +06 +06 Breath Weapon 5d6
    10 +10/+5--------------------+07 +07 +07 +2 INT, +2 WIS
    11 +11/+6/+1---------------+07 +07 +07 Breath Weapon 6d6
    12 +12/+7/+2---------------+08 +08 +08 Metamorphosis [Juvenile] (10000gp), +2 CHA, +2 STR, Spell-like Ability
    13 +13/+8/+3---------------+08 +08 +08 Breath Weapon 7d6
    14 +14/+9/+4---------------+09 +09 +09 +2 INT, +2 WIS
    15 +15/+10/+5-------------+09 +09 +09 Breath Weapon 8d6
    16 +16/+11/+6/+1---------+10 +10 +10 Metamorphosis [Young Adult] (50000gp), +2 CON, +2 STR
    17 +17/+12/+7/+2---------+10 +10 +10 Breath Weapon 9d6
    18 +18/+13/+8/+3---------+11 +11 +11 +2 INT, +2 WIS, DR 5/Magic, Frightful Presence
    19 +19/+14/+9/+4---------+11 +11 +11 Breath Weapon 10d6
    20 +20/+15/+10/+5-------+12 +12 +12 Metamorphosis [Adult] (100000gp), +2 CHA, +2 STR, Spell-like Ability

Class Skills: Concentration, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Knowledge (any), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Use Magic Device.
    Starting Skill Points (6 +Int Mod) x4, Skill points after first level, 6 +Int Mod.

HD: d12
    Alignment: Dependent on Dragon Racial Type
    Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Dragons are proficient with their natural weapons only. They are not proficient with any type of armor.

Dragon Racial Traits: At first level, the dragon begins as a small wyrmling and has the following racial traits: Darkvision out 60ft and Low-light vision. Immunity to Sleep and Paralysis effects. Land Speed of 40ft, and other movement dependent on age and/or type.

Dragon Racial Type: When creating a Dragon, one must decide what type of dragon it is. A dragon begins with an alignment matching the dragon type. Along with energy immunity of the associated type. For example a red dragon will be chaotic evil, have fire immunity and will have a fire breath weapon.

Breath Weapon: Starting at level 1 the dragon wyrmling has the ability to use its breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds. The breath weapon deals 1d6 of the associated dragons energy type. If the dragon has no associated energy type, then it deals subdual damage. At every odd level after 1st, the breath weapon deals an additional 1d6 damage. The breath weapons may be effected with Breath Channeling Feats (in Races of the Dragon) and/or Metabreath Feats (in the Draconomicon).

Natural Armor: The dragon has natural armor equal to its Racial Levels.

Draconic Spellcasting: Beginning at first level you gain the spellcasting abiiltiy of one of four classes. Once chosen, it may not be changed. Choose whether you gain the spellcasting ability of a favored soul, Spirit Shaman, Sorcerer, or Psion. Regardless of the spellcasting source chosen, you use charisma for maximum spellcasting ability, bonus spells per day, and determining the DCs for the chosen spells. Each level you gain spells or manifestations (in the case of Psion) as if you had gained a level in the chosen class. The spellcasting ability of this class stacks with those of the original class. Thus if a level 3 dragon chooses sorcerer and multiclasses into sorcerer, it casts spells as a level 4 sorcerer (but has all other sorcerer abilities (such as a familiar) as if a level 1 sorcerer). Independant of what spellcasting source they choose, they are considered a sorcerer of equal level for the purposes of meeting the prerequisites for Draconic Feats, and draconic feats only. Independant of what spellcasting source, the type of magic cast is considered arcane and will suffer from arcane spell failure as such.

Ability Adjustments: As the dragon gains levels , its physical and mental ability scores improve. These adjustments stack.

Metamorphosis: At Level 4 and every 4 levels thereafter, the dragon is halted before it can progress further. Unless the dragon has the appropriate number of years, it may not progress to the next age category. In order to bypass this, a dragon may perform a ritual with which it will age prematurely. Age alone is not the only prerequisite to advancement. A dragon must have both the age and the experience to advance. As the dragon advances, the rituals become more and more costly. Ultimately this is one of the reasons why so many dragons have hordes of treasure. A dragon may use any means necessary to acquire the wealth, although good aligned dragons will never resort to the use of dominate and mind-controlling effects. Every other Metamorphosis increases the size of the dragon by one size category.

Spell-like Ability: At level 4 and every 8 levels thereafter, the dragon gains a spell-like ability which must be chosen from the sorcerer spell list whose Spell level must be the level acquired divided by 4 or less. You may use this spell-like ability 3 times per day. For example, a dragon upon reaching 12th level may choose any sorcerer spell level 3 or less and use it as a spell-like ability 3 times per day. once the spell-like ability is chosen, it cannot be changed. The DC for the the Spell-like abiliity is equal to 10+Spell-Level+CHA Mod.

Spell Resistance: Begining at level 5 the dragon gains Spell-Resistance 5+ his or her levels in the dragon class. Spell Resistance from other classes or spells do not stack with this spell resistance unless it specifically says it does, you use the greater spell resistance.

Bonus Feat: At 6th level, the dragon may choose a bonus feat which must be a Draconic feat (from Races of the Dragon or Dragon Magic), Breath Channeling feat (Races of the Dragon), Monstrous (Draconomicon) or Metabreath feat (Draconomicon).

Damage Reduction: Starting at 18th level the dragon gains damage reduction 5/magic which improves by 5 every 8 levels after (26th, 34th, 42nd, etc)

Frightful Presence: At 18th level, the dragon has an aura of fear which can only effect creatures of less HD than the dragons levels. The Will Save DC is (10 + ½ Dragon levels + CHA mod). The range that it can effect is 30 x the number of age categories of the dragon.

New Feat: Dragon Blood Domain [Draconic] You may pick this feat multiple times, each time you must pick a different domain. The domain which you choose must match either the diety of whom you worship (Usually Bahamut for Good, Ioun for Neutral, and Tiamat for Evil) or your dragon element type. You add the spells to your spell list and you may use the special ability of the domain. If the special ability requires the expendature of another ability such as turn undead, you may use the ability a number of times equal to your charisma modifier.

New Feat: Draconic Alternate Form [Draconic] Prerequisite: Must be a True Dragon. Upon choosing this feat you must choose either an animal or a humanoid of medium or smaller size which shares your gender. Each time you level up, you may choose to change the particular animal or humanoid. You may as a supernatural ability, poiymorph yourself into said animal or humanoid a number of times per day equal to your charisma modifier. While in humanoid form you may cast your spells and use your breath weapon, although you will be limited on the size of the breath weapon with your new size. You retain all your ability scores, skills, HD Spell Resistance, Damage Reduction, Spell-like Abilities, and feats. You loose your natural attacks and natural armor. Animals are the same as above except that they keep the natural armor but lose their spellcasting ability unless they acquire a feat such as Natural Spell which allows them to do so. A Dragon in animal form can still dismiss the effect of Alternate Form at any time. If while in alternate form, the dragon puts on equipment (such as armor, clothing, weapons, amulets, bracers, etc) and decides to dismiss the effect of Alternate Form, the Dragon must choose what melds into the body and what drops harmlessly off their body. Equipment which meld into the body cannot be reacessed until the dragon returns to their alternate form. Nor do any of the equipment melded into the body grant any benefits unless it specifically allows it to not meld with the changing of shape (such as Beast-Form Armor). Thus Amulets of Protection or Fullplate do not grant armor bonuses to the dragon while in its true dragon form. This feat may be chosen multiple times, each time adding additional uses per day as well as an additional form.

Dragon Size and Breath Weapon Table:
    Dragon Size Line Breath Weapon Length Cone Breath Weapon Length
    Tiny 30ft 15ft
    Small 40ft 20ft
    Medium 60ft 30ft
    Large 80ft 40ft
    Huge 100ft 50ft
    Gargantuan 120ft 60ft
    Collossal 140ft 70ft

Dragon Natural Attacks Table:
    Size Space/Reach 1 Bite 2 Claws 2 Wings 1 Tailslap 1 Crush 1 Tailsweep
    Tiny 2.5/2ft (5ft with bite) 1d4 1d3 - - - -
    Small 5ft/5ft 1d6 1d4 - - - -
    Medium 5ft/5ft 1d8 1d6 1d4 - - -
    Large 10ft/5ft (10ft with bite) 2d6 1d8 1d6 1d8 - -
    Huge 15ft/10ft (15ft with bite) 2d8 2d6 1d8 2d6 2d8 -
    Gargantuan 20ft/15ft (20ft with bite) 4d6 2d8 2d6 2d8 4d6 2d6
    Colossal 30ft/20ft (30ft with bite) 4d8 4d6 2d8 4d6 4d8 2d8

Dragon Age for Metamorphosis and Level Progression Table:
    Age Category Age in Years (to Reach Level)
    Wyrmling -> Very Young 5 years old (level 4)
    Very Young -> Young 15 years old (level 8)
    Young -> Juvenile 25 years old (level 12)
    Juvenile -> Young Adult 50 years old (level 16)
    Young Adult -> Adult 100 years old (level 20)
    Adult -> Mature Adult 200 years old (level 24)
    Mature Adult -> Old 400 years old (level 28)
    Old -> Very Old 600 years old (level 32)
    Very Old -> Ancient 800 years old (level 36)
    Ancient -> Wyrm 1000 years old (level 40)
    Wyrm -> Great Wyrm 1200 years old (level 44)

Dragons may progress past level 44 but rarely do, many fear that attempting the ritual again might infact kill them and thus resort to lichdom. Others are simply content to multiclass. But perhaps most dragons after becoming Great Wyrms are happy simply to basque in their riches until their inevitable demise, having no further purpose or goal.
    Last edited by Mehangel; 2014-05-26 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Organizing the Table

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Dragon Racial Class for Gestalt Campaign

Okay, I'll be comparing this to a red dragon, as they are the meanest, nastiest of the bunch (along with gold dragons). The reason for this is that you've made it double levels (both gestalt) so it better be good.

At level 20 you have the following:
    • +12 str, +6 con, +6 int, +6 wis, +6 cha (adult red dragon has: 33 / 10 / 21 / 16 / 17 / 16)
    • SR 20 (which is all but useless against any (close to) full caster (the dragon has SR 24)
    • breath weapon that does 10d6 damage (dragon has 12d10)
    • DR 5/magic (dragon has the same)
    • 20 HD (dragon has 23/24)
    • NA 20 (dragon has 21)

So in just about all areas (except mental stats) you are equaled or beaten by the dragon. While this isn't that much of a problem... except the fact that the dragon is a CR 15 creature. In other words, you are being beaten by a creature that your party could beat 5 levels ago (even if they weren't gestalt).

Realistically, I'd be inclined to grant him this class as 1 half of his gestalt.

Now on to some details:

Spell resistance just plain doesn't cut it as a full caster will have a caster level equal to your SR at the levels you gain it.
    My suggestion: Jack it up to Class level + 5 (so no bumping it every 5 levels, instead bumping it every level - and increasing it by 5)

Metamorphosis I like the idea, however, the costs get rather massive eventually. Also, why can't he use dominate and such spells to acquire wealth? Gold is gold isn't it? and for some types of dragons getting it through mind control seems total logical. Maybe make him "own" the amount, but not using it up as part of the matamophosis? (so he can spend it afterwards, or save it up for the next one)

Spell like ability This sentence has me scratching my head "You may use this spell-like ability the same number times per day." From how i read it, it's 3 times a day, period.

Draconic Spellcasting [Draconic] Again, I like the idea... however any one with half a brain cell will pick this one at first level. (Which incidentally makes the class way stronger, about the level you'd expect from this thing in gestalt).

Conclusion: If you pick the feat at first level, it might be worth it. If you don't (and fluff wise it should be limited until 7-10th level) it is quite under achieving and certainly not worth both sides of a gestalt build.
    My suggestion: Limit the feat to level 8 (random-ish number) and make the class a single side of a gestalt character.

My other suggestion: Maybe add somethings that differentiates between different types of dragons? (currently only alignment, movement speeds and elemental damage on breath weapon seem to do so)
    Last edited by Loek; 2014-05-22 at 04:07 AM.
    Help improve my (favorite) 5e homebrews: The Circle of the Full Moon, Items of Darkness and The Unseen Hand (Warlock Patron).
    My old 3.5 homebrews: The Disciple of the gem, the Dragonhearted and my Warlock fix.

3. - Top - End - #3

Okay so I added the prerequisite for the feat being 6th level. I understand that this is kind of low, but I ultimately wanted the player to be able to choose the feat as the bonus feat at 6th if he really wanted to. Actually on Second thought, I have decided to take away the feat and make it an ability gained at first level. Upon looking at the dragons ability scores, most dragons dont even have a 10 charisma (needed to cast level 0 spells) till after they have reached young or juvenile. And if a PC wants to cast spells early on, he can invest his ability scores as such. Besides, it would be easier to calculate Caster level and spells per day instead of subtracting some obscure number.

I also fixed the Spell Resistance.

As for the Cost of Metamorphosis. It is meant to get expensive, and costly. Yet it is always within the wealth parameters of the PC for that level. As for why mind control spells are not acceptable, perhaps I will revise it so that only evil dragons may use the dominate and suggestion spells. to acquire wealth.

As for variety between dragon types, there are perhaps 35 or more types of dragons between the Storm, Gem, Chromatic, Metallic, and Oriental dragons. and Typing up information on each distinct type is perhaps too time consuming for my tastes at the moment. Later perhaps I might write up feats or ablitities tied to specific dragons, but not today.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

You might want to look at this.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

It'd be simpler to just follow the Draconomicon's progression for one side of the gestalt.

Of course, that does mean some dragons are stuck as hatchlings for most of their careers till they have enough HD and ECL to be Hatchling. The mighty Gold Hatchling, at ECL 12, gets no dragon hit dice for the first 4 levels (ECL +4), so he only gets his class hit die from the other side. At level 5 to level 14, he gets dragon hit dice. Level 15, he skips a dragon hit die, getting only his class HD that level. Level 16, he finally becomes a very young gold dragon, gaining 2 more dragon hit die before skipping his 19th level dragon hit die, getting only his class hit die that level, before finally becoming a young gold dragon.

The benefits to draconomicon progression, of course, is that the stats of a hatchling dragon are added to whatever the character point buys or rolls. That is, the gold dragon character gets +6 str, +4 Con, +4 Int, +4 Wis +4 Cha right off the bat, as well as the 2d10 fire breath weapon and so on, blindsense, darkvision, fire immunity/cold weakness, and so on.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    It'd be simpler to just follow the Draconomicon's progression for one side of the gestalt.

Of course, that does mean some dragons are stuck as hatchlings for most of their careers till they have enough HD and ECL to be Hatchling. The mighty Gold Hatchling, at ECL 12, gets no dragon hit dice for the first 4 levels (ECL +4), so he only gets his class hit die from the other side. At level 5 to level 14, he gets dragon hit dice. Level 15, he skips a dragon hit die, getting only his class HD that level. Level 16, he finally becomes a very young gold dragon, gaining 2 more dragon hit die before skipping his 19th level dragon hit die, getting only his class hit die that level, before finally becoming a young gold dragon.

The benefits to draconomicon progression, of course, is that the stats of a hatchling dragon are added to whatever the character point buys or rolls. That is, the gold dragon character gets +6 str, +4 Con, +4 Int, +4 Wis +4 Cha right off the bat, as well as the 2d10 fire breath weapon and so on, blindsense, darkvision, fire immunity/cold weakness, and so on.
    I am quite certain that the Draconomicon did not think about Gestalt characters when writing out the dragon progression. And being that the campaign is starting off at level 5, I am thinking that its progression would be a bit complicated for someone who has only begun playing DnD. (I dont want to spend a couple hours explaining how exactly its level progression works and having to explain that because it is only x years old, he cannot level up into dragon, and can thus level up in something else. I also do not want the person to choose dragon just for the ability stats, immunities and blindsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand
    You might want to look at this.
    That is quite interesting, and honestly if there were a bit more descriptions on its abilities I could evaluate it more. However, I will keep an eye on it. and found it helpful, thankyou.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Don't get too worked up about birthdays. Just stick the dragon character in a hyperbolic time chamber whenever he needs a birthday to level up. Or a time moves a year in a minute outer plane. Alternatively, have him hit with an 'age creature' spell.