New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Tower of God: an Infinite Canvas comic from Korea

Speaking of the slicey-dicey things that use shinsoo as part of what they are...

Am I the only one who got the distinct impression that those rings are shinswoo weapons? Each gem seems to mean a different area of manipulation, defence or attack. That woman maybe isn't actually using her own shinsoo (beyond initialising the attack) to do anything.

Related question: can you convert a person (or a person's shinsoo) into a weapon? If so... it really puts a disturbing light on exactly how she wishes to use people... <shudders>
    '~:. F5 Camper With Muscle-Memory Issues .:~'

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

There isn't really such a thing as 'a person's shinsoo'. Shinsoo is essentially magical air; all the characters do is manipulate the shinsoo around them, with either an object or their own ability.

Items hold the advantage of not having to bother with making a contract, while ability has the advantage of being impossible to take away and is much more open-ended.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    So, Aquillion, tell me more about this blog with the Black March illustration. I never read it before. I checked around on the webcomic page but I didn't see any blog.
    Remember, it's in Korean. Assuming you can read Korean (or just want to see the pictures), it's here.

He posts a new post there with every page, giving some commentary. He's also given a lot of information about the tower's world.

Luckily, fans have translated it here. Another collection of translations is here.

Translations for the individual after-chapter translations can be found on Batoto's forums, eg. here is the one for Season 2 Chapter 13. Though I think the people translating the comic itself now put those blogs after every chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilphon View Post
    Items hold the advantage of not having to bother with making a contract, while ability has the advantage of being impossible to take away and is much more open-ended.
    Technically, IIRC, the contract for an item is made when the item is created, and the item will only work on floors that its contract covers. I'm pretty sure that's what they said during Baam's Shinsoo lessons, anyway.

Likewise, the Great Families still require contracts, but they have a sort of "group contract" that covers the entire family -- that's why Laure was able to use Shinsoo to attack in the Crown Game, before anyone had made any contracts.

Irregulars, of course, are different, and have an unknown ability to (sometimes) manipulate Shinsoo without a contract. But as far as we know, they're the only ones who can do so (aside from, I guess, the Guardians, who presumably don't have to make contracts with themselves.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2012-05-08 at 08:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Gilphon View Post
    There isn't really such a thing as 'a person's shinsoo'. Shinsoo is essentially magical air; all the characters do is manipulate the shinsoo around them, with either an object or their own ability.

Sorry: I was using short-hand.

Perhaps there's a way you can shift contracts from an individual to an artefact, and include the artefact's own brand at point of creation. Sort of like storing bio-idents in chips and stuff.

To add more contracts to the artefact, you would then need to 'steal' other people's... so... in a kind of 'round about way "steal their shinsoo". I was just not using that many words to say it.

Whether this would mean actually taking their contract or just copying their floor identity... <shrugs> Or if it would boost your own oomph by tricking the 'air' into thinking you had more to you...?

I should have gone around the houses beating bushes for clarity. My bad.
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-05-08 at 08:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Honestly, I just wanted to see the photo of the Black March. Thanks for the link. Hmm, not a great illustration. Mostly covered by Baam, plus, is that a wing behind her? That's the only picture right?

Anyway, new update is up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Rapdevil is dead and he DIDN'T dissapear like the critically injured people do. So anyone that dissapears is likely alive then. Good to know. I don't see the Arm of God out. Viole would have made him use it for sure if they had fought. Might be a new character that did the deed... I'm kinda dissapointed that he's dead. I was hoping he'd be able to ditch that brat and join up with Viole but, alas, it was not to be.

I'm surprised that the old woman is alive still. I was sure she was about to be killed.

I'm excited for the next update, lets see how Viole stacks up against a Ranker!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

You've kind of got to feel sorry for the embryonic group. They're facing somebody, alright. Just... not who they thought.

And, as I got caught totally flat-footed by Ho last time, I'm not going to take bets who's doing the dastardly, underhanded deeds this time.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Euodiachloris View Post
    And, as I got caught totally flat-footed by Ho last time, I'm not going to take bets who's doing the dastardly, underhanded deeds this time.
    Well, let's see. Assuming it's not someone totally out of left field, there's not very many people it could be.

Viole is the most likely candidate. He had an opportunity (while passing that room on the way out, with the door open) and a motivation (it helps him win, and he might want to avenge Hatsu.) It's possible his talk about wanting to see the Devil Hand was just a roundabout way of saying he wanted to fight, and he ended up overwhelming the guy so fast it was just a beatdown. But yeah, it just doesn't feel like him.

It probably couldn't have been any character we know about from the first floor -- they're all accounted for, either trapped inside a room or moving directly between them. Or stuck playing a game outside one, or tied up, but it amounts to the same thing.

We know it wasn't Prince. It couldn't have been Yeon, either (the rules of the game seem to keep her stuck in her room, and even if they didn't, he looks like he was beaten to death, not burned to ash.)

One possibility is Lurker, but even if he' strong enough to do it, why would he? He was relying on that group to carry him up the tower. Possibly he's changed his mind and thinks that Prince won't be able to make it all the way? (He does seem to realize that Prince is kind of a fool, and we know he's a lot more intelligent than he acts around the guy.)

Who else is there?
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2012-05-10 at 12:31 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

There's the big guy who we left behind in the beginning, the one who likes glasses girl (I don't know names well yet, it took time to learn the ones from the previous part of the series.)
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

He's Akraptor's (silver hair, for those of you who are bad with names) roommate, and is probably stuck protecting their room. It's technically possible that he snuck out and killed Rapdevil, but it's unlikely due to how strategically braindead leaving one's room empty would be, especially when you haven't gathered any allies yet.

And… it's also possible that somebody we haven't met did it, but it seems pretty unlikely that any of them are strong enough to pull this off.

So… I guess I'll put my bet on Lurker, though I don't have any idea why he would do this. Maybe he's sabotaging his own team so he won't have to team up with Viole? It's not like simply taking the test again would be a problem for any of them.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Once again Viole refrains from killing. I just can't bring myself to believe that guy is a murderer unless I see him kill someone.
    Whilst reading the latest update, I couldn't help the side thought, "Oh Akraptor agrees with toma".

All numbers are grammatically correct

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

Just wanted to chip in about webtoons :3

Being a native Korean, I have slightly more insight (esp. since I actually can read the whole site o_O) about the... stuff.

Strangely, webtoons are the predominant way of web comics in Korea. Many talented artists do so on the portal sites, the main two who are Daum & Naver.
    Other than TG, there are many many epic webtoons, ranging from the serious (a story about a crossdressing waterpolo player, 두근두근거려; or the many tales about love) to the outright hilarious (Have You Even Heard of the Raging Winds Advertisment Company? '들어는 보았나 질풍계획', or a webtoon littered with references 'The Bored Devillord' 심심한 마왕); from the most well drawn art to the simplest but effective scribbles.
    It's rather rich in content, and I still wonder how it came about. I remember this beautiful webtoon where the scrolling property of the comics were exploited to make such a exquisite drawing of a road...

Anyways, i'll stop my rambling here >.>
    Hngh?

12. - Top - End - #42

Hi Skyrunner!

Tower of God certainly isn't the only Webtoon I've gotten into reading. I also like Orange Marmalade, Girls of the Wild, and Noblesse. They are all fantastic stories but there is no way I could keep all of the threads ongoing so picked my favorite of the ones for people to dip their toes into. I suppose I could put up some other links to these webtoons in the original post for people to try though...

In addition to these comics, I've also found others. I'm going down the list over at webtoonlive.com but most of those comics don't update get translated on a weekly basis and their content is far behind (Like Crepuscule, Student Transfer Storm Bringer and Song of the Cloud. There is also Magician, which is way behind but has suddenly undergone a burst of updates recently) the Korean versions.

They are all high quality though. I've been really impressed by how good the stories are for each one. I can't believe how much talent your country has managed to unearth. I find it really unfortunate how mangas take the bulk of the scanlation efforts. Webtoons are already online, which is really helpful when you want to scanlate.

Do you know how on earth these guys can put out so much content? Even "full time" webcomic authors out here in the West (Something Positive, Goblins, Erfworld, Shlock Mercanary, Girl Genius, etc) can't hold a candle to the volume of work that goes into a typical update of ANY of the webtoons. Mangas have a similar volume per week but don't have color, plus they have a number of assistants helping them. Do webtoonists have assistants as well?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hi Skyrunner!

Tower of God certainly isn't the only Webtoon I've gotten into reading. I also like Orange Marmalade, Girls of the Wild, and Noblesse. They are all fantastic stories but there is no way I could keep all of the threads ongoing so picked my favorite of the ones for people to dip their toes into. I suppose I could put up some other links to these webtoons in the original post for people to try though...
    Oooh, please do!
    *puppy dog eyes*

I read Noblesse and like it, I'd love to see what else is out there.

And you're quite right, the level (and quality) of output is very impressive.

All numbers are grammatically correct

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

While it hasn't been translated yet, in the most recent chapter,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lurker's smile at the end is creepy. Now I'm starting to think he killed Rapdevil.

15. - Top - End - #45

Okay Geo, I posted the webtoons that I am currently reading in my original post. I may post more later. I'm not sure this is the best thread for it. Maybe it would be better to spin off all these into a separate thread?

What do you think?

Okay, I'll move the list over to a new thread. I'm not comfortable making a bunch of new threads though so I'll keep them grouped for now.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-05-14 at 01:41 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Aaaack, take them out, take them out!

Make a different thread for any of them you want to talk about, don't try and cram every webtoon into one thread. Tower of God deserves its own thread. Putting all of those in the first post is going to make it impossible to stay on-topic.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

ToG really does deserve it's own. I'm not sure about Noblesse and Magician, though (simply because I've seen threads die on other forums). A lumped thread? Spin off if a 'toon gets more posts?

And, yeah. That smile of Lurker's? Won't help me sleep much tonight. Darn, I wish I could read Korean.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Oh, look the translated version's out.

Heh, my bet from before just got a lot more likely.

But, these two guys- I'm wondering if they're roommates who unwisely abandoned their room, if they each have a roommates stuck back in their rooms. Because if it's the latter, then all but three regulars are accounted for now, and Prince really will have to ditch Lurker to form an alliance with them.

19. - Top - End - #49

Euo, I'm not sure if you noticed but if you look on the thread list, I did decide to make a lumped thread with a bunch of webtoons on it. It's a fact that most webcomic threads die out, so a webtoon list is likely the best bet and if one got some replies maybe a dedicated thread from that. In any case, Geomancer seems to like it even if no one else is interested, so it's all good.

---

Well, well, looks like someone announced the latest ToG translation before I did for the first time. That's... actually encouraging. Means that this thread might be self-sustaining, with or without my posts. It was my goal, after all, make this an ongoing thread.

As for the story. When I first looked at that last panel of Viole. I had assumed that he had gotten the chip at the last second. However, after reading some other reader reactions over at Bototo, it seems I was mistaken and he's actively attacking Love now.

I was pretty surprised that what Viole is doing was an actual known Slayer initiation task. I still believe that Viole is doing this because he honestly wants to be alone but it's possible that this is indeed a requirement that FUG forced him to accept. Interesting.

I'm also a bit taken aback by that smile Lurker gave at the end of this chapter too. I mean, I'm sure he's tougher then he's been portrayed as being but why would he go after RapDevil in the first place? Also, we have the word of the author that all the clues needed to figure out who killed RapDevil are there to be found. So, um, we got Lurker's smile and... what?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Maybe those two guys and Lurker did for Rapdevil between them. And, I'm just guessing, but I think they might have been the mooks under the big jackets and the funny shapes? Maybe?

And, well... I'd not want to be in Love's shoes. He really doesn't know what Viole is probably capable of doing to him: he can likely freeze him solid at any time, if he wants.
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-05-17 at 08:48 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The green clownish guy certainly isn't one of the mooks- in the group shot when everyone reacts to the fact that Viole'll be choosing who passes, you can see all three mooks and Mr. Clown. The little guy… well, it's harder to tell for sure, but there are two people in that shot who might be him.

In general, though, the mooks are Da'an, which is an established race, so there's not a huge possibility for them being disguises.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I noticed its the first time we saw Baam's eyes this season...interesting.

Viole should be more awesome than this...just saying. Or he's taking this too lightly.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

23. - Top - End - #53

This is interesting. Just translated

ToG vs Maplestory 1
    Tog vs Maplestory 2
    ToG vs Maplestory 3

It's a one-shot crown stealing game that was drawn by the ToG author, SIU. I know next to nothing about Maplestory but it's good to see some of the old book one characters from ToG back in action.

I should probably know this, but who is the gray/silver haired boy in the ToG group on the second panel of the first page? He doesn't look familiar.

Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-05-21 at 05:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I should probably know this, but who is the gray/silver haired boy in the ToG group on the second panel of the first page? He doesn't look familiar.
    That's easy: it's everybody's favourite Ranker and Guide (and worry-wort), Evan, of course! Mr Mushroom himself!

Although, what he's doing with the wrong Princess, I can't guess.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Euodiachloris View Post
    That's easy: it's everybody's favourite Ranker and Guide (and worry-wort), Evan, of course! Mr Mushroom himself!

Although, what he's doing with the wrong Princess, I can't guess.
    His eyes are the wrong color. Evan's are gold.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    His eyes are the wrong color. Evan's are gold.
    Um... since when? Take a peek at the wiki article here. Scroll down to the bottom pictures, as well. <shrugs>

Try actually finding a truly discernible iris. I'll wait.

Uh... no... I have never found Evan even a little interesting. Why might you ask?
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-05-22 at 04:22 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It really isn't Evan, this guy said he was a Koon. Though it's slightly hard to tell, given that it's translated as 'Kun'.

So, Uh… he's a new character, apparently.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

^ I actually had read that as just a random weirdness. <shrugs>

Either way: real update.

And, whatever those two guys are planning, it ain't gonna work. Don't know how it's not going to work. It just isn't. Count the number of possible holes... I hit 6.

29. - Top - End - #59

I especially liked the little author's note at the bottom telling the readers to not be mad at him cause he was away at military training camp and when he got back, Love had already attacked Viole. Heh.

SIU also spent a lot of time explaining Love's fastball Shinsoo technique. I can only assume it's so that Viole can steal it for the next pitch. We all know that Viole can copy a power after only seeing it once, that's how he learned Freezing after all, this is a great opportunity to see him do it again.

I was a bit confused on the "while using two rooms" comment. I think that means that Viole can use 3 separate rooms of Shinso. Two to block and 1 to freeze. There is a good chance he's still holding back though.

Also, I would be greatly surprised if that can of liquid worked as advertised. If it's so great those two chuckleheads can drink it themselves.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've decided that Viole is a more interesting character then Baam was. Of course, I also think the Baam time was critical for this though. If Viole had been a new character, then I don't think I would have been as interested but with the background, we have a solid understanding of him so we don't really need to read his thoughts like we do for the others so he can get away with rarely talking.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-05-25 at 12:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

SIU also spent a lot of time explaining Love's fastball Shinsoo technique. I can only assume it's so that Viole can steal it for the next pitch. We all know that Viole can copy a power after only seeing it once, that's how he learned Freezing after all, this is a great opportunity to see him do it again.
    I thought that as well. It's also mainly why I didn't comment on it before, actually. (Here, at least: I did on another forum. Mainly to state that Love was in for a surprise, too. ) In a weird way, Wangnan, in all his inefficient glory, has hit on the right way to take Viole out: chemical explosives. Lots of. Don't stop until he's a smoking hole in the ground. Not that anybody in the Tower will believe that.

I was a bit confused on the "while using two rooms" comment. I think that means that Viole can use 3 separate rooms of Shinso. Two to block and 1 to freeze. There is a good chance he's still holding back though.
    He had signs of multiple rooms, earlier, when he was playing with the balls of light in class and later during the maze-test. But, he couldn't do it reliably (probably down to time constraints - and, possibly, trying not to make Ho look bad), as far as I can remember. Nice to see that he has stabilised it.

About his holding back: yeah. He seems to do that without even realising it, sometimes.

Also, I would be greatly surprised if that can of liquid worked as advertised.
    It's so transparent a ploy, even Prince saw through it. And, that brat is so blinkered, he has the personal judgement of a rock.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've decided that Viole is a more interesting character then Baam was.
    Back-history always helps, but, yes, I can agree with that: it's the change that he's undergone that is as interesting as anything else. And, the extra questions. Like, why, exactly, did he agree to join FUG in the first place? And, who picked the name (doubt he picked it himself)? <twitches>