New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tower of God: an Infinite Canvas comic from Korea

Wow, nice chapter. I enjoyed it, it was a nice ending to the test. Still, we're supposed to start seeing old characters pretty soon.

I'm excited
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Epilogue's up... and, that's still about as clear as mud.

Meh... hit the forums if you want to see the grief SIU's not-so-clear wording (in the original) have caused the Koreans, let alone us with the translations. Poor guy... he really could do with a longer break.

Naver, give him 3 weeks!
    '~:. F5 Camper With Muscle-Memory Issues .:~'

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thought about it for awhile and decided that I'm disappointed in how the chapter ended. I had assumed that there was no way that it could be a trick.

I still think Viole knew what Wagman was doing, especially since it looks like FUG wants Viole to take him up the tower. However, after reading some stuff on the details of the mission it's not a sure thing. Plus, I came across all sorts of details I never noticed before which showed that while SIU didn't seem to make any plot errors in this game, he did a REALLY lousy job of presenting it.

It's odd too how everyone said Viole beat Love when he didn't even win anything. I mean if the story spreads that Viole won a 1 on 1 match then surely it should also mention what he was fighting to win and he didn't get any of what he was after so it really didn't make any difference.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Update ahoy!

Oh Koon how I missed you.
    Still a total $%#^.

All numbers are grammatically correct

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
    Update ahoy!

Oh Koon how I missed you.
    Still a total $%#^.
    About time. This is quite wonderful
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

6. - Top - End - #96

Koon and his super complicated plans are a joy to read. Especially since his plans get EXPLAINED afterwards. It's so unlike that mess that was the Trustworthy Room test. That plan of Wagman would have earned only pity, at best, from Koon.

Also, hey Rachel, I was hoping not to see you for a long, long time but hopefully this story arc will bring you one step closer to exiting this webtoon altogether.

You are not an interesting villain. You are just a sad, little, stupid, jealous girl that became a willing pawn for some powerful groups. The story can move on to the REAL villains once you are out of the way.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Koon and his super complicated plans are a joy to read. Especially since his plans get EXPLAINED afterwards. It's so unlike that mess that was the Trustworthy Room test. That plan of Wagman would have earned only pity, at best, from Koon.

Also, hey Rachel, I was hoping not to see you for a long, long time but hopefully this story arc will bring you one step closer to exiting this webtoon altogether.

You are not an interesting villain. You are just a sad, little, stupid, jealous girl that became a willing pawn for some powerful groups. The story can move on to the REAL villains once you are out of the way.
    I agree 100%, and I think we're supposed to feel that way about her. The entire build up makes us question why Baam was working so hard for one person, and then she turns out to be a jerk. No wonder Baam went all badass.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

8. - Top - End - #98

New update is up. Wow, not only an early show of Rachel but also we find that Koon has figured it out. Looks bad for her but Koon isn't the type to take direct action. He's probably going to devise some sort of elaborate plan. Although if he dumped her, then it would be much easier for Viole to catch up.

Still pretending to be paralyzed... I'm surprised at that. The plan can't of been to pretend to be crippled the entire way up, could it? I figured they would have "healed" her by now. Having to fake being paralyzed has all sorts of ways to trip you up. She is also milking the Baam thing for all it was worth. It seems any problems she had with killing him are long gone and I am glad to see it. I don't want any reasons to feel sympathy for her.

I see in the author's comments that a year is much shorter in ToG then it is for us and that while he does have some info explaining it, he won't show it because it has a minor "spoiler" in it.

Right. (troll)

Hey Hatsu seems to still be in the game. I thought that fight took him out but apparently not. I'm pretty surprised that only Koon and Rachel are on this team and everyone else is new. I wonder how many teams the original group split into?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post

Hey Hatsu seems to still be in the game. I thought that fight took him out but apparently not. I'm pretty surprised that only Koon and Rachel are on this team and everyone else is new. I wonder how many teams the original group split into?
    I was wondering the same thing. But I think that while there may have been a few groups, Koon seems like the only one who would be good at gathering new members. So I think the old ones split into smaller groups without any new members and there might be a few climbing alone.

Still, I can't wait for rachel to get her comeupance.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

I agree 100%, and I think we're supposed to feel that way about her. The entire build up makes us question why Baam was working so hard for one person, and then she turns out to be a jerk. No wonder Baam went all badass.
    I must admit i dislike Baam's sudden leap in power to the point where he is able to battle a ranker, since what i liked about him before were his determination despite being out of his depth.

Still, i do like the new protagonist that turned out in part 2, both the way he tricked Baam, and his speak about redemption/forgivenes at the end, were great.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I must admit i dislike Baam's sudden leap in power to the point where he is able to battle a ranker, since what i liked about him before were his determination despite being out of his depth.

Still, i do like the new protagonist that turned out in part 2, both the way he tricked Baam, and his speak about redemption/forgivenes at the end, were great.
    Well, you do have to realize quite a bit of time has passed.

He's a Irregular, which are said to have crazy amounts of power.

And he was being trained by one of the top factions in the tower, who obviously need him and would put a lot of effort into his training.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

new update, the Author is heavily foreshadowing Rachel's comeuppance, I wonder what twist he will throw into it.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rachel's last pannel is so weird, a laughter that probably is both from remorse and excitation. Dammit, she already went nuts. Without her 2 former bodyguards, alone with Koon - who also operates lighthouses, and is better at it. I'm feeling pity for her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Bravo. That has to be one of my favorite moments. "Only the cruelest of us."

Looks like it won't just be revenge, it'll be cold-hearted and cruel. The kind only Koon could do. I doubt if even Viole would be as harsh if he had his chance. This is gonna be good.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I just hope some misguided idealist doesn't try to "rescue" Rachel from Koon. Yeah I'm looking at you Wangman

All numbers are grammatically correct

16. - Top - End - #106

A theory I read suggests that the reason Rachel started laughing is because she was listening in on Koon tell the others that he intends for them to betray Rachel. The poster further guesses that Koon knows that Rachel knows this and is letting her listen in on his plans to betray her.

I really, REALLY hope that theory is wrong because thinking about it gives me a headache. I mean, just rethink that whole Koon/Rachel meeting earlier. How does that work? She pretends that she is sad about Baam and he pretends to comfort her but she knows he doesn't really sympathize so the only reason she is doing this is to... annoy him? He must know this but is pretending to sympathize anyway because he can't let her know that he knows that... um, where was I?

Lets try another angle. The whole pretending to be crippled thing. Okay, he knows she's not crippled and she knows that he knows that she isn't crippled... and... Ugh. Head hurting...

I can't do this anymore, I hope this theory isn't right.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

I just hope some misguided idealist doesn't try to "rescue" Rachel from Koon. Yeah I'm looking at you Wangman
    I certainly hope someone does.

To start with Rachel is just a minor piece in some grand game, so i dont carry the burning hate towards her that so many other does, but more importantly, Koon is far to used to have everything dance to his strings, so something screwing with his elaborate plans would be a welcome change.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    To start with Rachel is just a minor piece in some grand game
    I'm not sure I agree. The author seems to have implied that the relationship between her and Baam is a lot more complex than we've been shown, and that it's what's really going to drive his story going forward. I think Baam's story is meant to be completely bound to his relationship with Rachel.

(Now, I agree that Baam's story isn't the only story in the comic, which is one of the things I like about it. But I think that people who expect him to get over her and become a generic shonen protagonist are missing the point. At worst, she's the Daisy to his Gatsby -- though I hope she ultimately turns out to be a more interesting character than that.)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

new chapter, I smiled throughout it and then felt really sad...

20. - Top - End - #110

I prefer Yeon with her hair loose, instead of the ponytail. Also, I wsh Viole would pick a different outfit, it doesn't have to be the one he started book 2 with (although I did rather like it) but when I listened to him proclaim himself to be Viole to everyone, I just didn't feel intimidated.

I heard the term "noblesse oblige". I had never heard that term until I started reading mangas this year. A pity western comics don't seem to use it. I rather like the way that concept is worded.

I just can't believe Yeon hasn't fallen in love with Viole yet. Perhaps he's losing his touch? Of course, maybe she wouldn't be so suspicious if he hadn't said how uninterested in her body he was.

Prince... Well, what can I say about Prince except how the mighty have fallen... It's kinda sad.

I was interested in that everyone is renting. For floors 1, 2 and 20, the regulars seemed to have all expenses paid. Free room, food and even massages but it seems everything changes from floor 21 up? They need jobs too? I guess it is lucky that Viole has the Fug credit card to take care of all that. Or perhaps they are not in the tower area right now? I'm interested in know more about how it works.

Another big revelation is that Viole can freeking cook! When the HELL did he learn how to do that? I doubt it was when he was alone in a dark cave. I don't think there was a kitchen lying around and since then he's been with FUG. Why the heck would FUG teach him how to cook? I'm really surprised by this development.

And, finally, that Guide girl has re-appeared. Long time no see. Why the HECK are you STILL wearing that eyepatch. Did Baam destroy that eye forever or something?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Halfling in the Playground

Heh, I just finished reading the whole thing straight from the first episode to the last on Naver. It's ... well, it's really a great webcomic >_< It reminds me of Liar Game, actually, if only because of all the behind-the-scenes backstabbing and intrigue.

About the theory that Rachel (which seems to be Rahael/Rahel in the original pronunciation ...) is laughing because she heard and Koon knows that too making the above poster's head hurt... well, that's kinda what is glorified in the Harry Potter fanfic Rational—pardon, I forgot the whole title >.>
    One part of it went like "What if [he] knows that I know? That's two layers deep. But if I know that he knows that I know? Three layers. And if he knows that I know that he knows that I know ... this was the way to madness/some other disparaging comment."
    xD Madness indeed. Personally I'm hoping for another Koon backstab, because he's such a magnificent character that way. Chessmaster, you'd say.
    Hngh?

22. - Top - End - #112

RedWizardGuy

Another new chapter is out.

Spoiler
    Show
    And our spectations about FUG do a full 360ş - Yeon seems to be right, and FUG seems to be the side that sponsored Rachel originally and manipulated the events so far.

Also, Wangnan has some suspicious knowledge? Now i'm shocked.
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

23. - Top - End - #113

Yea Slayn, this new update looks to have some big revelations for me to read when translated. I'm looking forward to it.

Hi SkyRunner. You... read the series from Naver directly? So, you speak South Korean fluently? Do you also read "The Magician"? Maybe you can tell me what the heck is going on with ElderMask in the latest chapters because I am so confused with why he's fighting everyone. I hope they stop fighting soon. :(

I'm also a huge fan of Liars Game, it was one of my top 5 weekly mangas before it went on hiatus. I also loved the authors other story, One Outs. Although it was annoying to be forced to watch the anime in order to see the full story up until the cut off point. Gamble Fish was another one that has the same gamemanship quality that Liars Game does, although that one is far less realistic. Dr. Frost is a really interesting one that delves into various problems people have. I love phycological style stories.

I'm also a fan of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, I assume that was the story you were trying to recall? My favorite part was when he first got his time machine.

24. - Top - End - #114

Yup, I'm a native, so I can read them directly with no prob :3
    Sadly, I don't think I read Magician, so I can't answer your question ;_;
    I also was reading Dr. Frost but sorta lost track of it xD

And yes, it's the Methods of Rationality.
    Hngh?

25. - Top - End - #115

I was scrolling back and I realized that was your second post here, Skyrunner. Well, I said this already, but in case you missed it, I REALLY like how South Korea has handled webcomics. I think it's the superior model for the world. I wish more scanlations came out of them because I've enjoyed numerous stories that were translated and it's a lot easier to translate them since they are already online and you don't have to scan any paper backs.

Anyway, new update is up. I loved how SIU did those dark spash pages of all 3 FUG members when Yeon called them out. Also, I think that is the first time I've seen Viole have some actual emotion to his voice. It was a little weird. I think I would have prefered it if he had stayed calm, like usual. Either way though, he does seem to genuinely care about Yeon's well being.

The perm joke had me laughing for a good half minute. But what Yeon was thinking while raging like that I really do not know. Insulting a high ranker? I know she lacks self control but he didn't even say anything. He was the one being insulted, not her.

Then they go over to Viole's house to meet everyone. Hey Yeon, you got your wish! They aren't meeting behind anyone's backs anymore. Jinsung even gets the chance to tell them that he may be from FUG but isn't a bad guy (and he'll kill anyone that disagrees >_>). Well, that's good enough for me!

I liked how he mentions the forced membership. Hey Wangman, you sure tricking Viole was such a good idea after all? Especially since FUG leadership is thinking of killing off all the other members. Which is a shock to me. I thought they wanted Wangman. So does that mean that the "prince" they were talking about was Viole after all and that they really did want him to win the challenges alone after all? Maybe the the condition they wanted Viole to manage was to beat a ranker in a 1 to 1 contest.

All that is quite a bit but the end is when the big revelations start hitting. Only someone that can use Shinsoo without a contract can kill Zahard. Viole DID, in fact, open the door himself. Man so much argument on that little point. And, finally, Viole IS Baam. We knew that last one already but it's still cool to hear someone actually use his real name.

Great update!

26. - Top - End - #116

I suppose "The Magician" isn't "The City of the Dead Mages"? @_@ I've started reading it on a whim and it doesn't seem to be the type where people fight people; more of a crime, detective comic.

Personally, I'd love to translate a webcomic, but I'm sure ToG is in good hands. xD
    Hngh?

27. - Top - End - #117

No, I'm familiar with the webtoon you listed and actually read it myself.

Alright, well since we are talking about it, I may as well go on and link the webcomic I am talking about.

Magician

It's over 250 chapters long at this point. Which seems to be a very long amount of time for a webtoon to go on for. Right now it's being translated by a demon of a man that is putting up new chapters every day or two.

Speaking of translating, if you really have an interest in that (thankless) volunteer job. It's pretty easy to apply. A webtoon like ToG is scanlated by a group and they never just work on one project. The group that works on ToG, for instance, also does Dr. Frost, Kubera, Green Boy and other works.

If you are looking for a group that concentrates solely on webtoons though, your best bet, in my opinion, is WebToon Live. they may not be the biggest outfit out there but they have their own reader website and they make sure to always operate under the law. Among other projects, they do Girls of the Wild, "The City of the Dead Mages" (whos official English translation is "City of Dead Sorcerer"), Song of the Cloud (finished but still being translated. I really like this one) and others.

Joining is easy, just head on down to their official websites
    The Company
    WebToon Live

If you follow these two links, it should be easy enough to figure out how to join. Another note about translating. For some reason... the copyright owners don't like people doing it! Daum, for instance, recently got licenses for every language to make sure anyone trying to translate will be breaking the law.

Also, the Magician was licensed in English so that workhorse that is pumping out the pages is also breaking the law as well. It's probably not a big concern. There are, after all, a great many manga that are illegally translated and no one seems to have been jailed over it so far.

However, if you don't want to risk it, it's not an issue for Webtoon Live and I am pretty sure The Company also keeps it's nose clean. It can be sad for a toon you put work into being dropped though. Can happen at any time.

28. - Top - End - #118

Well, I've applied, but their official site seems to say that there are no Korean translator spots left, so ...

The forum Recruitment thread did say two translators, though. I applied there yesterday, but it turns out I won't be needed, I think. Oh well xD

Copyrights for every language = stupid executive meddling. If no-one did translate, every Western would-be fan would be looking at the pretty pictures, wondering what they are saying, then moved on forgetting about it. :P And then asking some Korean-speaker they know on the forum for a quick and dirty translation just to see what happens, which would lead to them being translated anyways.
    Hngh?

29. - Top - End - #119

Heh, well the two I listed are not the only ones around Skyrunner. Translators are highly sought after. I could list off a few others that like to do webtoons and other Korean mangas, if you like.

I'm not a big fan of Copyright myself, EXPECIALLY against foreign languages. Until this year I had never known much about Asian mangas except the most widespread and Americanized of the lot. Things like Pokemon and Yugioh.

My eyes are opened to a vast graphic novel universe that I consider to be far superior to what the West has managed with Marvel, DC, Image and their lot. If not for these scanlation sites I never would have learned that Yugioh wasn't always about card games. Reading "Yugioh: Season Zero" really opened my eyes to how much BETTER the series used to be.

I wouldn't know about any webtoons or this wide world of mangas that I have missed out on. Sure, I've seen those English Ed. Jump mags but you can't get into the story when most of them are over 50 chapters in. Occasionally, I'd find some manga collections that were interesting but I never got a steady supply.

Now I am a big fan of dozens of mangas. One Piece, Hayate, World God Only Knows, Liars Game, Great Teacher Onizuka just to name some of the bigger names. There are plenty of shorter, less known ones I also loved, like Bitter Virgin, which has got to be an engrossing, serious portrayal of a sexual assult victim and her journey to being able to find love.

What a waste, a total, total waste if copyright laws had stopped this. I would have known nothing about the world of Mangas. I'm so glad I was given the opportunity to become a fan (which is why I started this thread to begin with). I think everyone should have the same chance. All Daum is doing, in my opinion, is stopping new fans from being created. Naver has a ton of translations, while Daum has very few and there are plenty of English reading fans, including myself, that can't wait for the translations and read their favorite webtoon as soon as it comes out.

PS. Oh, here is something cute. It's a Korean music video that was animated awhile back. It's really cute and it spawned 4 music video sequels that tell a complete story. Really well done. It's called There She Is!!!
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-08-16 at 03:41 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120

RedWizardGuy

New chapter is out. I love sweet pork.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, FUG poke the poodle a little, but actually assumes that they are the players here. Even Baam understood their machinations in the previous arc. I just wonder why they went as far as to say this to Wangnan. Maybe they actually believed that Viole needed some extra motivation?