Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Diablo 2 - The hack and slash game. [OoC3]

We are playing Diablo 2 using D&D 3.5 rules.

Quests:
    The Den of Evil.
    The Sisters' Burial Grounds
    The Search for Cain
    The Forgotten Tower
    The Tools of the Trade
    Sisters to the Slaughter (Current)

The first OoC thread.
    The last OoC thread.

Our players:
    {table=head]Player|Character|Class|XP
    PeterPaulRubens|Paavo|Fighter Incarnate|63161
    Tavar|Gerrin|Truenamer/Ardent/Astral Namemaker|57164
    Koury|Corretha|Wizard/Metaphysical Spellshaper/Incantatrix|54758
    sonofzeal|Ryuu|Dragonfire Adept|53487
    Jarian|Edmond|Barbarian/Bard/Maven of the Strings|47148
    hazzardevil|Biscuit|Swordsage/War Mind|47153
    [/table]

Inactive:
    {table=head]Player|Character|Class
    Ishcumbeebeeda|Dashnagir|Binder
    DragoonWraith|Nirvana|Swordsage/Monk
    Critical|Sonya|Desert Swordsage/Viz-Jaq'taar
    Tyrael|Garrus|Targetteer Fighter
    Jarian|Evelynn|Ninja/Widowmaker
    Derjuin|Gerwar|Bard/Fighter/Warblade
    Koury|Wirt|Factotum
    Circle of Life|Isen|TGO Paladin
    senrath|Johnathan|Barbarian/Fighter/Crusader|45384
    Rausdower|Sern|Ranger/Stalker of Kharash|44929
    Diarmuid|Fjodin|Crusader|50497
    [/table]

The 16 questions from the last recruitment thread, reposted for future reference:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • 1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
      D&D 3.5
    • 2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
      The Diablo 2 setting and storyline.
    • 3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
      1-3 additional players. I may contact those who didn't make the cut now if/when we get more dropouts.
    • 4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
      Here at the GitP forums.
    • 5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
      Character level 9th, precisely.
    • 6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
      WBL for ECL 9. Update: But you may not spend more than 10k on any single magic item. This is a quest-related restriction, which should be loosened soonTM.
    • 7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want?
      Indeed I do. Entrants will become members of a preexisting party, which should be kept in mind for purposes of avoiding role overlap. Currently, we have:
      • A TGO Healer. She heals, and does it well.
      • A Kellus Truenamer. General buffer, occasional summoner and toolbox.
      • A blaster Wizard who pulls out day-saving spells as a side habit.

Frontline-types should be the obvious additions, but don't feel completely restrained.
      However, as this is about as pure a hack and slash as it gets, characters that focus on diplomacy, stealth, or other such areas may find themselves out of place.
      Emulating the D2 classes is not necessary, but encouraged for reasons of fun and nostalgia.
    • 8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
      The setting consists of humans only. We can work out the refluffing of other medium-sized, LA +0, humanoid-shaped if there is a particular racial feature you are after.
    • 9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
      32 point buy, max HP for your HD at all levels. (The max HP rule does not apply to non-players. The players are substantially tougher than others in the world.)
    • 10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
      Write down an alignment for the purposes of how stuff like Holy Word affects you. Otherwise, hardly important.
    • 11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
      Multiclassing is allowed and does not incur XP penalties. Fractional base bonuses (from Unearthed Arcana) are in use, the initial +2 for taking a class with a good save only counted once.
    • 12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
      I will roll Spot checks, Listen checks and such things that may have to be secret, as well as rolls of the "everyone roll initiative and a fort save" type to save time. Everything else, you do, including if you want to actively spot or somesuch.
      We use the forum roller, either in the OoC thread, or in spoilers in the IC thread, as more appropriate.
    • 13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about?
      Several, including those we have accumulated during the last two years.
      • Death is not permanent, you are revived in town if you die. Death, however, causes you to lose 50% of the XP you have gathered towards your next level-up. It will take a few minutes to run back to your teammates (unless they pop open a Town Portal), which means you will probably miss the rest of the encounter. There is no plausible explanation for this.
      • You will be expected to keep track of your carrying capacity. Gold, however, is weightless.
      • Teleportation spells and effect with a range longer than your line of sight are banned.
      • All intelligent creatures know the human tongue.
      • Treasure is relatively random.
      • Traits are allowed.
      • The feat gaining progression is sped up, so you gain a feat at every odd-numbered level (level 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc.). In turn, Flaws are not allowed.
      • Energy Drain does not threaten you with level loss. If you fail your save to remove a negative level that would normally threaten to turn into permanent level loss, the negative level has its duration changed to "permanent" instead.
      • Incorporeality is changed. See this post.
      • Mobs (DMG2) are used to represent masses of creatures, with the changes outlined in this post.
      • Rather than using the values given on the Factotum class table, Factotums have a number of IP equal to (Factotum Level/2) + (Int Mod/2). For the price of a feat, levels in any one class (or PrC) stack with your Factotum level for the purposes of calculating your number of IP. Font of Inspiration is not allowed.
      • Players can take two feats to change the casting stat of a class. One feat for bonus spells and minimum casting stat, another for save DCs and minimum casting stat. You can take one, can take both, either would get you the minimum casting stat required to cast spells of a certain level.
      • The skills Spellcraft and Psicraft are merged into one skill, Spellcraft. The skills Use Magic Device and Use Psionic Device are merged into one skill, Use Magic Device. Any class that has one of the merged skills on its class skill list has the combined skill (for example, Psions have the new Spellcraft on their class skill list).
      • Mobility allows you to tumble at full speed without penalty.
      • Spring Attack allows you to take a standard action in the middle of the move, rather than just an attack (similar to flyby attack).
      • Group initiative is used. Initiative is rolled for all combatants, the side with the highest average begins. Characters act in the order in which they desire (which usually means ASAP!).
    • 14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
      No, it is not required. You are for some reason in a place called the Rogue Encampment. You have heard a band of heroes is planning to reclaim the fallen Rogue Monastery from the demonic invasion, and you are eager to join.
    • 15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
      It wouldn't be Diablo 2 if it wasn't 99% hack & slash.
    • 16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
      All WotC D&D 3.5 material is available, including Dragon Magazine. However, I do not have access to every book or magazine out there, so you may have to find a way to show it to me if I don't have it.
      Homebrew is allowed as well. But. I ask you to not submit multiple character-incompatible bits of homebrew at a time (such as, say, two base classes you haven't decided which one you'd rather want) for review. In other words, decide what bits of homebrew you really want, and I will give that brew serious consideration.
      When it comes to homebrew, I tend to like class fixes and proper presentation. I tend to be irritated by sloppy wording.

Some additional ones, because just 16 aren't enough:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. This sounds cool, but I have never played Diablo 2. Can I join?
      If you actually want to, sure!
    2. Are we going to be following the Diablo 2 storyline?
      For the most part, yes. I have thrown out the quests from the game, and the players have tackled them. If you want to go somewhere else, skip quests, or kill a critical NPC, I'm not going to stop you, but so far, the pre-existing players have not shown a lot of initiative when it comes to that.
    3. What is the power level of this game?
      We have two competent Tier 3ish characters, and one reined-in Tier 1 character. Whatever your character does, it should be competent when it comes to doing it.
    4. Do you intend to go through the entire Diablo 2 storyline?
      Yes.
      Realize this when you apply. We're in it for the long haul.
    5. How often do you expect us to post?
      "Daily" when in combat, which is most of the time.
      By "daily", I mean that if we have been waiting on your turn for 24 hours, I reserve the right to put your character on autopilot to finish the round. Which A) I don't like doing, B) is boring for everyone, and C) deprives you of good-attendance bonus XP I hand out at the end of encounters.

Unique items you have found:

Now, feel free to pick a color you will use for your IC speech, say "yay, I got in!" (for the new guys), "hi, welcome" (for the old guys), and all that stuff.
    I reserve blue for NPCs.

NOTE!
    There is a specific format I am going to request you use on your posts in the IC thread. It is simple, and as follows:

First:
    Your character's name.

Second:
    A description of what you are doing, as flavourful (or not) as you want it to be.

Third:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A mechanical description of what you are doing.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2012-11-01 at 08:01 PM.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: PbP characters, The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Diablo 2 - The hack and slash game. [OoC3]

In before GFrazier!

Mariah will be playing The Most Interesting Healer in the World. "I don't always speak, but when I do, it's in Bold Navy."
    The Good Reverend
    Just call me PPR, no need to type the whole thing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Gerrin reporting for duty. Note that my sheet suffered a partial wipe. I currently have no earthly idea how much gold I had, or what recitations I had. Considering that they look to be lost, I filled in new recitations, and I think there's at least one post in the old thread that had how much gold I have.

Oh, also lost my languages.

Edit: found my gold value.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2012-04-09 at 11:04 PM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I suppose Tatsuhiro will go for a rather pretentious purple. Between you and me, I don't even think that's his real name, he just thinks it sounds exotic. I'd call him a poser, but he really does have a lot of draconic blood in his veins, and he really is good at the few things he does, so I suppose he gets a pass.

I was about to ask how we were going to be introduced, but I just checked the IC thread. Expect a post there shortly. ;)

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sweet! You the man, Ern.

Sern's dialogue will be in Turquoise.

Edit: Let's go for a less eye-straining Olive Green.
    Last edited by Rausdower; 2012-04-10 at 07:10 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Glad to be here.

Fjodin's a real salt of the earth type dwarf, so I'll go with Bold Grey.

Edit - I didnt think you'd be taking three of us in from the recruitment thread and had somewhat tailored my Stances to only having 3 castery types with me. Would you mind if I swapped them out for Martial Spirit and Leading the Charge?

Also, does the fractional BAB/Save thing apply to PrC's? Might be easier to simply ask someone to double check my Saves (pretty sure I'm OK on BAB) to see if I have them correct.

Edit 2 - Any thoughts on what the best way to represent the random generation of my granted manuevers might be? I'll make sure I put something in my future posts listing which of my maneuvers are currently "readied".
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2012-04-10 at 09:39 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post
    Edit 2 - Any thoughts on what the best way to represent the random generation of my granted manuevers might be? I'll make sure I put something in my future posts listing which of my maneuvers are currently "readied".
    Roll in OOC 1d5, 1d4, 1d3, etc. Numbers correspond to readied manuvers from top down on your sheet?
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I dont know why rolling descending sized dice didnt occur to me. It's exactly what I was trying to figure out how to do and was just failing.

Good call Koury, thanks.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Just for the record, if anyone wants any spells cast on them, feel free to buy the scrolls. Assuming we're not in combat, I can cast anything you have for me to cast whenever you want it. Enlarge Person scroll is only 25GP, for example.

Will any of you be wanting GMW?
    ...Unless she's cute.

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm going to assume we're resting and reset Mariah's spells per day.
    The Good Reverend

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Problem with 25gp scrolls is the CL1 for durations and whatnot. GMW would be very nice, but I spent almost all of my WBL for char gen so I'd only be able to afford 1 of those atm.

Is there any limit beyond the 10k per item limit on what can be purchased at the encampment? Is it limited to only DMG, or are other sources like MiC "stocked"?

Edit - I may pick up some Oil of Bless Weapon if those are available. Damage output isnt high enough to be able to ignore DR at this point, but that's one of the hurdles with being more defensively minded.
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2012-04-10 at 02:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean scrolls for GMW. I can replenish a third level slot for 5000 gp. So if two people want a GMW I can do that for 2,500 gp (5k split between the two who want it). Or if three want it, I can do that for 3,333 each.

Also, I know you guys are poor at the moment (so am I), and thats ok because I don't get another 3rd level slot til level 11. Which, conveniently, will give me a CL of 12 for that +3.
    ...Unless she's cute.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Some IC response might actually be in order here. Some words were said that don't deserve to be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    Oh, yeah, I didn't mean scrolls for GMW. I can replenish a third level slot for 5000 gp. So if two people want a GMW I can do that for 2,500 gp (5k split between the two who want it). Or if three want it, I can do that for 3,333 each.
    Ummh, 3rd level PoPs are 9000GP.

Have you been buying them for 5000?
    Edit - I didnt think you'd be taking three of us in from the recruitment thread and had somewhat tailored my Stances to only having 3 castery types with me. Would you mind if I swapped them out for Martial Spirit and Leading the Charge?
    Go right ahead. Some synchronization with the other members is to be expected.
    Also, does the fractional BAB/Save thing apply to PrC's? Might be easier to simply ask someone to double check my Saves (pretty sure I'm OK on BAB) to see if I have them correct.
    Yes, it applies to all hit dice.

I double-checked, and this is how the base saves should be on Fjodin:

Fort = floor(2 + 9*0.5) = 6
    Ref = floor(2 + 4*0.5+5*(1/3)) =5
    Will = floor(2 + 5*0.5+4*(1/3)) = 5

Quote Originally Posted by peterpaulrubens View Post
    I'm going to assume we're resting and reset Mariah's spells per day.
    Okaydokey.
    Is there any limit beyond the 10k per item limit on what can be purchased at the encampment? Is it limited to only DMG, or are other sources like MiC "stocked"?
    It's all stocked at Charsi's MagiMart Emporium. You know, provided you're not going shopping for Candles of Invocation or something...

Personal stuff: PbP characters, The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    Ummh, 3rd level PoPs are 9000GP.

Have you been buying them for 5000?
    Oh, no, I know PoP 3's are 9k. But a Circlet of Mages will do the same thing for 5k. MIC.
    ...Unless she's cute.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey Tavar, Kharash is my god's name, or rather demigod...holy warrior guy that I fight in the name of. My character's name is Sern.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Ernir, any chance (and if so, what would the price be) of an item granting Metamagic School Focus (Conjuration)?
    ...Unless she's cute.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

You know, Gerrin actually has quite a few knowlege skills. Let's see what he knows about those flying things:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[15]
    Arcana, Dungeneering, Planes:+20
    Nature:+19
    Psionics:+16
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

So, shall I assume everyone has done the desired modifications, level-ups, and is and ready to leap back through the WP?

There seems to be a planning discrepancy - PPR has expressed a desire to wait, Corretha's latest IC post indicates that she's getting ready to leave ASAP.

If there aren't any outstanding issues tomorrow, I'll have you continue.

Cain's Knowledge roll: (1d20+24)[35]

Ernir, any chance (and if so, what would the price be) of an item granting Metamagic School Focus (Conjuration)?
    No, there isn't a chance.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    There seems to be a planning discrepancy - PPR has expressed a desire to wait, Corretha's latest IC post indicates that she's getting ready to leave ASAP.
    Sorry if my post wasn't clear, but I fully intended to (and have already udated my sheet as if we) have rested.

No, there isn't a chance.
    I might have thought as much, but figured it was worth the asking.
    ...Unless she's cute.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I updated my sheet with the new stances.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Spellcraft rolls for Fjodyn:

Mage Armor - (1d20+3)[14]
    HoA - (1d20+3)[9]
    HoE - (1d20+3)[16]
    HoF - (1d20+3)[8]
    HoW - (1d20+3)[7]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Initiative:

Corretha: (1d20+2)[9]
    Gerrin: (1d20+2)[17]
    Fjodin: (1d20+1)[11]
    Mariah: (1d20)[5]
    Ryuu: (1d20+5)[18](1d20+5)[22]
    Sern: (1d20+5)[14]

Enemies:
    (3d20+3)[57]
    [roll]4d20+16[/roll

Sorry if my post wasn't clear, but I fully intended to (and have already udated my sheet as if we) have rested.
    Ah, I misunderstood, then.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Fix'd roll:
    (4d20+16)[83]

I assume at least one of you has the Shield Other ring. You can also have cast whatever buffs you may want before stepping through.

There was no problem procuring the arrows.

Oooff we go!
    Last edited by Ernir; 2012-04-12 at 05:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Just to be clear, are any of the enemies wearing metal/mostly metal armor?
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Probly a stupid question I should know the answer to...what are the darker squares?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Just to be clear, are any of the enemies wearing metal/mostly metal armor?
    The leader is. The archers might be, but it's difficult to tell at this distance.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Another question, should we until our init order to act?

28. - Top - End - #28

Another question, should we until our init order to act?
    Nope, it's "our turn". First come first serve unless you have a reason you want to delay behind another party member.

I think I'll be dropping a Wind Wall to shield us from the archers since I don't have any healing to do yet.

Any objections? I think it only really screws over Rausdower, but I'm guessing it's probably worth it. I could put it right through the middle of the mobs which should shield us but still allow Sern to hit them.
    Last edited by peterpaulrubens; 2012-04-12 at 06:39 PM.
    The Good Reverend

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by peterpaulrubens View Post
    I think I'll be dropping a Wind Wall to shield us from the archers since I don't have any healing to do yet.
    Sorry, posted my move as you posted this. Seems we were equally eager to eliminate the archer threat.
    ...Unless she's cute.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Many apologies for my lack of posts - I wasn't getting updates about posts in the IC thread. I've fixed that now. I'd meant to grant everyone "Endure Elements" before we left, can we assume that happened, or should I wait for some more opportune time after this combat?
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2012-04-12 at 07:25 PM.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.