Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Diablo 2 - The hack and slash game. [OoC3]

Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    Fair enough. I'll try to stop worrying about my 78 HP then.
    Fear not, for the glorious Dragonlord Ryuu Tatsuhiro is with you! All shall tremble before him!

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    The only thing about the build that has caught my eye is that you don't have the initiator level to know Pouncing Charge and Dancing Mongoose.
    Oh FFS, I get it now. I need to stop looking at the handy reference cards for the ToB maneuvers, they say "warblade 5" and I take that as "warblade level 5" every time, rather than "accessible by warblades who can use 5th level manuevers". Blech...

I'll have to rethink some things then.
    The Good Reverend
    Just call me PPR, no need to type the whole thing.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by peterpaulrubens View Post
    I'll have to rethink some things then.
    Are you specifically looking at getting ToB maneuvers, or are you looking at spending your feats on X thing?
    Avatar by the illustrious Derjuin.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lightbringer Adison, Swordmage priestess of Pelor, by the very talented Darwin.

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

4. - Top - End - #364

Are you specifically looking at getting ToB maneuvers, or are you looking at spending your feats on X thing?
    Spending my feats on X thing. But, ToB offers.. a lot. I like Sudden Leap for its swift-action movement, moreso since Paavo will have a +27 to +47 Jump modifier depending on invested Determination. Without some decent manuevers though, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I'm currently leaning towards losing the second Martial Study in favor of Martial Stance. I can take Sudden Leap for movement, some Devoted Spirit to qualify for the Iron Guard's Glare stance, and then change the Path of the Juggernaut for Path of the Vigilant Defender. That'd give a rather solid -6 to enemy attack rolls on the rest of you when they're in my threatened space, and I threaten a huge (20' radius) area most of the time. With all-out Determination investment it'd be a -9. That change actually might go pretty far in keeping our healing needs to a minimum (well, at least for y'all... I still get screwed! ). And, that would keep me with Sudden Leap and a recovery method for it.

Other thoughts would be to grab Leap Attack for the damage as well as the awesomeness of being an actual D2 skill. It's something I'd wanted but ultimately decided against given that I wasn't going to have continuous access to Pounce. That'd be one feat and I could have two more to play with if needed..

Any thoughts?
    The Good Reverend

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not a fan of Leap Attack. As much as I admire Ernir's ability to balance encounters with so many people coming and going all the time () and all the shifting damage inherent to that, Leap Attack just gets absolutely crazy very fast. With even a little bit of effort, you can pulp most things in a single hit, which would either result in Ernir sending even more mobs our way, or ramping up their HP totals more.

IMHO, anyway.

ToB does offer a lot, and you definitely have some solid ideas there. However, there's a thread floating around the Homebrew section somewhere that has fixed Combat Form feats in it, each of which adds an interesting new dynamic to any character using them. (Combat Form feats are originally from PHB 2, but are, uh, bad.) I can't find the thread right now, but a bit of digging should hopefully turn it up. Worth looking into, anyway.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

6. - Top - End - #366

Hmm. The combat forms don't really seem that interesting to me, and it looks like I dont qualify for most of them anyway. Thanks though.

I wish there was a feat that added damage based on the distance leapt without working on a charge, which opens up the pounce silliness.

If no one has more ideas I'll probably roll with what I have above.
    The Good Reverend

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

I wish there was a feat that added damage based on the distance leapt without working on a charge, which opens up the pounce silliness.

If no one has more ideas I'll probably roll with what I have above.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Powerful Leap
    Prerequisites: Leap of the HeavensPHB2, Power Attack, Str 15+
    Benefit: Whenever you jump in combat, you deal an additional point of damage with all melee attacks for every 5 feet traveled, to a maximum bonus damage equal to your character level.

Forceful Leap
    Prerequisites: Powerful Leap
    Benefit: Whenever you jump in combat and cover at least 20 feet of horizontal distance, the next melee attack you make before the end of your turn forces your foe to succeed on a Fortitude save, DC 10 + 1/2 BAB + Str modifier, or be dazed for one round and knocked prone.

Eh?
    Homebrewer's Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Assuming the caster level on the item is correct, 20 minutes for the Silence (or until dismissed) and 1 round for Gust of Wind.

Could be wrong though.
    You're not wrong.
    @Ernir: unless I specify otherwise, let's assume that I have the Feet, Arms, and Voice focuses active at the beginning of each fight, and that I have 3 Determination in the Path of the Mage Killer, Path of the Weapon Master, and the Path of the Peerless Athlete, and 1 in the Path of the Outnumbered.
    Okay, but you seem to not have Path of the Outnumbered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post
    So am I correct in assuming that no one had issues with me nabbing that ring?
    Doesn't look like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post
    Edit - Also, while I'm here would it be difficult to get shield spikes added to my shield?
    Nope, very easy.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: PbP characters, The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, Circlet of Persuasion. I think Ernir is trying to tell me something.

Imperious Command!

Edit: Switched out Creaking Cacophony for Otto's Imperative Ambulation (CMage 112). I don't have particularly high hopes of it working, but it might be able to prevent some full attacks.
    Last edited by Jarian; 2012-06-13 at 01:57 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

10. - Top - End - #370

Powerful Leap
    Prerequisites: Leap of the HeavensPHB2, Power Attack, Str 15+
    Benefit: Whenever you jump in combat, you deal an additional point of damage with all melee attacks for every 5 feet traveled, to a maximum bonus damage equal to your character level.
    Since that specifically works with "all melee attacks" it just increases the incentive to go with charge + pounce + leap attack. It doesn't offer something good instead of pouncing.

Okay, but you seem to not have Path of the Outnumbered.
    DOH.

OK, I made a few changes:
    • I dropped Martial Study - Tiger Claw for Martial Study - Devoted Spirit
    • I swapped Blade Magic Aptitude for Rapid Refocus
    • I took Martial Stance (Iron Guard's Glare) instead of the second Martial Study
    • I swapped the Path of the Imperious Commander for Path of the Outnumbered
    • I swapped Path of the Juggernaut for Path of the Vigilant Defender
    • I moved Paths and Focuses to the Spell area so I could more easily keep track of active focuses and invested determination

Also, questions about Arreat's Face:
    - I assume it still works as the masterwork Intimidation tool it was originally?
    - 3 HP healed max 10 is ... kinda odd. The last hit only heals 1 HP?
    - does that stack with my Least Crystal of Life Drinking? Or does one trigger and then the next?
    - once it's healed 10 HP, it becomes "inert until the following day." Is that just for the life drinking, or all of its properties?
    The Good Reverend

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Since that specifically works with "all melee attacks" it just increases the incentive to go with charge + pounce + leap attack. It doesn't offer something good instead of pouncing.
    Touché.text
    Homebrewer's Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

So, everyone ready to get back in?

Also, where do you intend to go?

Also, questions about Arreat's Face:
    - I assume it still works as the masterwork Intimidation tool it was originally?
    - 3 HP healed max 10 is ... kinda odd. The last hit only heals 1 HP?
    - does that stack with my Least Crystal of Life Drinking? Or does one trigger and then the next?
    - once it's healed 10 HP, it becomes "inert until the following day." Is that just for the life drinking, or all of its properties?
    • Yes. Will note that.
    • It is odd because I need to stop stealing verbatim from the MIC during the middle of the night. Should be 30.
    • It doesn't stack.
      But yes, I suppose it's only fair to have one kick in as soon as the other runs out of HP healed. So it stacks for purposes of HP/day, I guess.
    • That's just for the life drinking. Updated to use the same wording as Cathan's Sigil.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2012-06-13 at 08:26 PM.

Personal stuff: PbP characters, The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

We haven't yet done Sisters to the Slaughter, have we? Are we even eligible? It's been a while, both for D2 and keeping track of things that have happened so far.

I'm definitely ready to go whenever everyone else is, though.

Once we do that/if we can, I suppose we'd head on over to act 2? (At this rate, we'll manage to finish in 6 years. )
    Last edited by Jarian; 2012-06-13 at 08:31 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

14. - Top - End - #374

It is definitely Cathedral Time. Ol' Nipple Chains herself awaits. I really hope we find Venom Ward before we find her, because I pretty much always found it as one of her drops. :
    The Good Reverend

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

If the party has some spare cash before we reach her, I can get several scrolls/a wand of Delay Poison if everyone wants to chip in.

...assuming Ernir doesn't add dispelling to her attacks. Hrm.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

I have a crapton of gold, so sure.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

By "going for the Cathedral", you will be going for the gate that most directly lies between the Outer Cloister waypoint and the Cathedral, then?

Once we do that/if we can, I suppose we'd head on over to act 2? (At this rate, we'll manage to finish in 6 years. )
    Act 4 is kind of short!

But more importantly, going like this, we'll manage to finish.
    And that's something, in a PbP.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2012-06-13 at 10:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

By "going for the Cathedral", you will be going for the gate that most directly lies between the Outer Cloister waypoint and the Cathedral, then?
    I have no objection to this, though I don't remember the Sisters to the Slaughter quest well enough to say whether that's the best place to start or not.

But more importantly, going like this, we'll manage to finish.
    And that's something, in a PbP.
    I think that's mostly due to your persistence, but you have a point.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

19. - Top - End - #379

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/maps/act1.shtml

We either go to the Barracks -> Jail -> Inner Cloister -> Cathedral, or to take the Outer Cloister waypoint and charge the gate.

The question is whether we can mount an adequate assault on a fortification like the gate. Last time was rather dicey IMO.

On the other hand, the long way is probably a whole bunch of encounters.

Ernir, how high were the walls of the inner gate again?
    The Good Reverend

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

As fitting for my sig, I suggest the Frontal assault.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not entirely familiar with the Kellus Truenamer, but Gerrin has the ability to basically tunnel through walls and doors, right?
    Homebrewer's Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

22. - Top - End - #382
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm happy with either. On the one hand, going the long way is longer. On the other, it's the process that's fun, not actually finishing the plot, and we get that just fine either way. Given that we're lvl 9+ and still in Act 1, I can assume Ernir is advancing the monsters relative to us, not relative to the place in the plot. So I don't think it makes a big difference either way.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not entirely familiar with the Kellus Truenamer, but Gerrin has the ability to basically tunnel through walls and doors, right?
    To a degree, yes. At will, I can open a passage way in material up to...I'd have to check, but I think I can manage 10 to 15 feet of material.
    Satomi by Elagune

24. - Top - End - #384
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll give the vote for front door busting shenanigans. Also, Ernir, can I pick up an Efficient Quiver from a market in base camp?
    Many thanks to Ceika for the sweet avatar.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Since it looks like a frontal assault, Edmond will burn a charge of his Alter Self wand to assume the form of a Troglodyte before the gate-busting starts.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Since it looks like a frontal assault, Edmond will burn a charge of his Alter Self wand to assume the form of a Troglodyte before the gate-busting starts.
    Ernir requires knowledge of the form you want to turn into and you don't have K: Local.

Ernir, any chance of Corretha informing her new ally about a useful form to take?
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Ernir, how high were the walls of the inner gate again?
    40 feet.

Unless I've said something different before that I can't find, in which case it's that height.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Given that we're lvl 9+ and still in Act 1, I can assume Ernir is advancing the monsters relative to us, not relative to the place in the plot. So I don't think it makes a big difference either way.
    True to some degree.

Most of the stuff I come up with just before the encounters, and I don't think I'm about to make a series of encounters that's impossible because you're underleveled, or a cakewalk because you're overleveled.
    But some things I do have statted way in advance.
    Ernir, can I pick up an Efficient Quiver from a market in base camp?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    Ernir, any chance of Corretha informing her new ally about a useful form to take?
    Sure, turns out it's kind of a useless limitation anyway.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2012-06-14 at 03:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    Ernir requires knowledge of the form you want to turn into and you don't have K: Local.

...does Bardic Knowledge count?

Edit:

Sure, turns out it's kind of a useless limitation anyway.
    Nevermind then. I'll stick with the slightly less useless Loresong.
    Last edited by Jarian; 2012-06-14 at 03:14 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

30. - Top - End - #390

40 feet.

Unless I've said something different before that I can't find, in which case it's that height.
    Excellent.

So, I can reliably jump up on top of that wall if I'm Determined to do so, even while carrying Fjodin.

We may want to take a look at going over the wall rather than through it. Ryuu can fly outright, I can jump, Edmond could Alter Self into something with flight, and Corretha could Polymorph into something with flight also.

That'd leave just Sern and Gerrin (who may have methods of flight already, I dunno!). Perhaps they can hitch a ride on Corretha. Otherwise maybe some potions of levitation or plain old rope...

Basically I'm wary of Kool-Aiding again. It seems ... unwise to keep using the same tactic. Going up and over may be much less expected.

Thoughts?

Edit: LOLZ. Day late and a dollar short it seems!
    Last edited by peterpaulrubens; 2012-06-14 at 09:13 PM.
    The Good Reverend