Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Diablo 2 - The hack and slash game. [OoC3]

Quote Originally Posted by peterpaulrubens View Post
    Excellent. Tentacles gone just in time for me to do ... nothing.

On a side note, I may be playing Mariah one more encounter since I have yet to decide on a new build.
    You might have more fun in a fight that doesn't involved you pinned through most of it....

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry for the delay guys. It's not been what you may think it is (though I HAVE played some D3). Real Life keeps insisting its more importiant then the internet.

Anyway, should be settled down now.
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry for the late post, I was cajoled into participating in a drag show.

XP time!

Gerrin and Mariah receive 2083 + 500 = 2583 XP each.
    Corretha receives 2700 + 450 = 3150 XP.
    Fjodin, Sern and Tatsuhiro receive 2700 + 500 = 3200 XP. each.

New table:
    {table=head]Player|Character|Class|XP
    PeterPaulRubens|Mariah|Retooled Healer|53356
    Tavar|Gerrin|Truenamer/Ardent/Astral Namemaker|49523
    Koury|Corretha|Wizard/Metaphysical Spellshaper/Incantatrix|45626
    Rausdower|Sern|Ranger/Stalker of Kharash|41400
    sonofzeal|Ryuu|Dragonfire Adept|41400
    Diarmuid|Fjodin|Favored Soul/Crusader/Hammer of "Moradin"|41400
    [/table]
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: PbP characters, The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

4. - Top - End - #244

Does any of the Warlock gear work for DFAs too? Probably not by RAW, but DFAs got virtually no item support, so I can always try....

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    Sorry for the late post, I was cajoled into participating in a drag show.
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    The Good Reverend
    Just call me PPR, no need to type the whole thing.

6. - Top - End - #246

I've taken Ernir's advice of having more things to do than "I attack again" as I've pondered what character to make. The idea of playing some kind of bard has caught my eye. A bard with Healing Hymn would make the healing spells of not-specialized healers fairly good; it may be a nice option for us to consider.

Ernir, I looked at the Dirgesinger PrC and while it seems flavorfully awesome, it's kind of craptacular in execution. Any chance that class could be spruced up a bit? I'm specifically thinking of some kind of casting progression and beefing up the capstone ability.
    Ernir, you never answered this.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to what a good debuffer-with-some-melee-skills would be, I'm listening. I have yet to find a build that I'm in love with. Several things have caught my eye but haven't stood up to careful analysis.

Also, I'm looking to expand my horizons a bit. I realize that I'm no good with casters, but that probably means I need to play casters more, not less. I'd be open to something like binding or incarnum if anyone has a suggestion.
    The Good Reverend

7. - Top - End - #247

Ernir, you never answered this.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to what a good debuffer-with-some-melee-skills would be, I'm listening. I have yet to find a build that I'm in love with. Several things have caught my eye but haven't stood up to careful analysis.

Also, I'm looking to expand my horizons a bit. I realize that I'm no good with casters, but that probably means I need to play casters more, not less. I'd be open to something like binding or incarnum if anyone has a suggestion.
    I would recommend Hexblade using the creator's fix and the Dark Companion ACF from PHB2, or the Bez-Kismet inspired by the above. Note that Bez-Kismet substantially raises the power level; when a player brought it up in a game I was in, I offered to let them take one feature from it - the spells, a particular class feature, Medium armor useage, or something else along those lines. That helped serve as a compromise between the two, and I think that was a good call for my campaign. This campaign is different though, so of course Ernir can make his own judgement.

You get some spells either way, some melee potential, and the most debuff power you can expect out of a non-caster. Sounds like your thing!
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2012-05-23 at 12:52 AM.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248

The bez-kismet was actually my first thought. I talked to Ernir about it and he's fine with it.

But.. at second glance, I think it's actual options are less than ideal for me. I think on a round-by-round basis it has much less to do than a martial initiator. At 10th level with a 20 CHA, it would get 4 first level and 2 second level spells and 6 curse attempts. Twelve rounds of not-"I attack again" per day doesn't seem like a lot of variety.
    The Good Reverend

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

The bez-kismet was actually my first thought. I talked to Ernir about it and he's fine with it.

But.. at second glance, I think it's actual options are less than ideal for me. I think on a round-by-round basis it has much less to do than a martial initiator. At 10th level with a 20 CHA, it would get 4 first level and 2 second level spells and 6 curse attempts. Twelve rounds of not-"I attack again" per day doesn't seem like a lot of variety.
    You know what would give quite a few options? A truename based character, either using Kellus's or another fix. The Lexeme can even boost their Absolute limit.

This allows easier debuffs, and you're already pretty useful at buffing, as well as some damage capabilities.

If you want to be more melee based, the Word Warrior and Gospel Blade PrC's are likely better fits.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

10. - Top - End - #250

Few things have as much to do round-by-round as an Initiator. But the good thing about Initiators is that they're dip-friendly in both directions. A Bez-Kismet with a few Initiator levels, or an Initiator with a few Bez-Kismet levels, could both be interesting.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Ernir, I looked at the Dirgesinger PrC and while it seems flavorfully awesome, it's kind of craptacular in execution. Any chance that class could be spruced up a bit? I'm specifically thinking of some kind of casting progression and beefing up the capstone ability.
    Oops. Managed to overlook that. Hmm.

4/5 Bard casting sounds 'bout right for the class, IMO. It's better songs than what Bards of most levels get, but hardly enough to lose five friggin' levels of spellcasting over...

Song of Awakening, uhhh... free undead version of the scariest monster you've killed lately sounds pretty damn good to me, really. With Melodic Casting (Complete Mage feat), it doesn't interfere very much with your other mojo.
    It's Song of Sorrow that looks like it's most in need of help from where I am standing. Looks like it should be the reverse version of Inspire Courage, but it's just non-scaling and meh.

Thoughts?
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    If you say so.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Does any of the Warlock gear work for DFAs too? Probably not by RAW, but DFAs got virtually no item support, so I can always try....
    RAW no, reasonable yes. What did you have in mind? The Gloves?

Personal stuff: PbP characters, The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

12. - Top - End - #252

RAW no, reasonable yes. What did you have in mind? The Gloves?
    The Gloves and the Scepter would both be splendid. The Scepter moreso because I already have Gloves of Dex (unless Charsi can meld them together as per MIC), and because a Scepter would fit Ryuu Tatsuhiro's image so very well. Both do basically the same thing, and I'd obviously prefer both, but I realize I'm in DM Benevolence Territory anyway, so I won't mind if only one or the other is cross-applicable.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    You know what would give quite a few options? A truename based character, either using Kellus's or another fix. The Lexeme can even boost their Absolute limit.

This allows easier debuffs, and you're already pretty useful at buffing, as well as some damage capabilities.

If you want to be more melee based, the Word Warrior and Gospel Blade PrC's are likely better fits.
    Ohh.. that's actually pretty cool. I'd shied away from truenaming because I didn't want to step on Gerrin's toes, but I guess you're retiring him...

I like the Necronomist very much. Any thoughts on how it interacts with the prestige classes? It gives up utterances and incantations for the Necronomy/anima powers. Does that mean the PrCs that advance vocalizations advance the Necronomy powers too?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir
    Oops. Managed to overlook that. Hmm.

4/5 Bard casting sounds 'bout right for the class, IMO. It's better songs than what Bards of most levels get, but hardly enough to lose five friggin' levels of spellcasting over...
    OK, that'd be fine. Which level loses the casting?

Song of Awakening, uhhh... free undead version of the scariest monster you've killed lately sounds pretty damn good to me, really. With Melodic Casting (Complete Mage feat), it doesn't interfere very much with your other mojo.
    I was thinking that having it last only as long as you keep singing is really sorta.. meh. It means that you're only raising a minion after something has died in your current fight, because really, you're not going to sing all frickin' day till the next encounter. That makes it useless in single-enemy encounters. It's also underwhelming for other encounters because you'd always want to use it on the biggest meanest enemy.. but if the biggest, meanest enemy is dead, you're probably mopping up mooks, and if he's not, you're just raising a cannon-fodder mook. Either way it seems like it misses the sweet-spot of having a big bad undead buddy to sic on a big bad enemy.

What if, instead of only lasting while the performance continues, it would last for (class level + CHA mod) hours? That'd be an encounter or three without being unlimited amounts of time, and would definitely make Resting In Town have a significant drawback.

It's Song of Sorrow that looks like it's most in need of help from where I am standing. Looks like it should be the reverse version of Inspire Courage, but it's just non-scaling and meh.

Thoughts?
    It does seem a bit underwhelming. Making it the reverse of Inspire Courage seems ok but not great for what seems to be the prime shtick of the PrC.

However, the Song of Bolstering looks really worthless unless you're actually planning on having some enemies try to turn my undead buddy. And even then, it seems like it's not worth that much, since that same use of bardic music will get me a new undead minion instead of just a turn resistance bonus.
    The Good Reverend

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone else have something to say/do before I shove the party forward?

I assume you want to heal up, but whether you want to have

The Gloves and the Scepter would both be splendid. The Scepter moreso because I already have Gloves of Dex (unless Charsi can meld them together as per MIC), and because a Scepter would fit Ryuu Tatsuhiro's image so very well. Both do basically the same thing, and I'd obviously prefer both, but I realize I'm in DM Benevolence Territory anyway, so I won't mind if only one or the other is cross-applicable.
    Charsi should be able to do the required item renovations, with some time.

Including melting the scepter into this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    SCEPTER OF THE POMPOUS DRAGONLORD
    Price (Item Level): 8,305 gp (12th)
    Body Slot: - (held)
    Caster Level: 10th
    Aura: Moderate; (DC 20) necromancy
    Activation: - or swift (mental); see text
    Weight: 3 lb.
    This sturdy ebony rod is surmounted by a carving of a draconic head. The corners of its mouth twist slightly, as if chuckling over a private joke.

This +1 light mace increases the save DC of your breath weapon attacks that deal hit point damage by 1 while you hold it. This is a continuous effect and requires no activation.
    Furthermore, a Scepter of the Pompous Dragonlord has 5 charges, which are renewed each day at dawn. Spending 1 or more charges improves the damage of the next breath weapon attack you make in that round (assuming it does damage to begin with).
    1 charge: +1d6 damage.
    3 charges: +2d6 damage.
    5 charges: +4d6 damage.
    After these charges have been expended, the rod remains a +1 light mace, but it no longer provides a bonus on breath weapon save DCs until its charges are restored.
    Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Rod, dragon breath.
    Cost to Create: 4,000 gp (plus 305 gp for masterwork light mace), 320 XP, 8 days.

I assume that works?

I know save DC increases are normally more rare/valuable than to-hit increases, but this won't apply to spells/nasty DFA status conditions, so... meh.
    Ohh.. that's actually pretty cool. I'd shied away from truenaming because I didn't want to step on Gerrin's toes, but I guess you're retiring him...

I like the Necronomist very much. Any thoughts on how it interacts with the prestige classes? It gives up utterances and incantations for the Necronomy/anima powers. Does that mean the PrCs that advance vocalizations advance the Necronomy powers too?
    *Bounces towards Tavar*

OK, that'd be fine. Which level loses the casting?
    1, methinks.

(I think a lot of 3.5 PrCs would be better off that way. )
    What if, instead of only lasting while the performance continues, it would last for (class level + CHA mod) hours? That'd be an encounter or three without being unlimited amounts of time, and would definitely make Resting In Town have a significant drawback.
    Sounds like a better idea, really. OK.

Especially since the RAW obviously rewards looking for ways to never ever stop the music.
    It does seem a bit underwhelming. Making it the reverse of Inspire Courage seems ok but not great for what seems to be the prime shtick of the PrC.

However, the Song of Bolstering looks really worthless unless you're actually planning on having some enemies try to turn my undead buddy. And even then, it seems like it's not worth that much, since that same use of bardic music will get me a new undead minion instead of just a turn resistance bonus.
    The main point of making Song of Sorrow reverse Inspire Courage is that it would then actually scale. -2 to to-hit/damage/will saves is "meh", -[as much as you are willing to invest in pumping it] to to-hit/damage/will saves can be rather more respectable.

I dunno about Song of Bolstering, though. It's not really a primary thing, I have nooo idea how one would improve it, and I have sent Clerics against you. They just haven't had any undead around to rebuke.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2012-05-25 at 02:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255

Huzzah! I'll take it! If I can have dibs on both the Gloves and Scepter (5402 gp resale value), that'd be awesome. I'll forgo my share of the treasure from the first fight to compensate, and if I'm still ahead I'll pass on the next fight as well.

What was the last treasure, btw? I never actually saw it, although I'm sure it was posted.

Other than that, and assuming we get healed up, I'm ready to head off deeper into Andariel's layer. IfyouknowwhatImean.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say that if they advance vocalizations, then they advance Recitations/Anima, but nothing else. Not really sure that the Necronomist really gets much PrC support.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Last battle's loot list ended up here for some reason.

And since I apparently left off the end of the sentence yesterday...
    Did you intend to retreat to town for healing, or will you be taking advantage of Mariah?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Currently uninjured, so I don't have an opinion.

Also, I'll take one of the morningstars. Let me take AOO's.
    Satomi by Elagune

19. - Top - End - #259

1, methinks.

(I think a lot of 3.5 PrCs would be better off that way. )
    Me too. Too many PrCs are dip-only and not enough are taken to completion.

In any case, I'm planning on taking all 5 levels of the class, so where the lost caster level happened was sort of academic.

Sounds like a better idea, really. OK.

Especially since the RAW obviously rewards looking for ways to never ever stop the music.
    Cool.

The main point of making Song of Sorrow reverse Inspire Courage is that it would then actually scale. -2 to to-hit/damage/will saves is "meh", -[as much as you are willing to invest in pumping it] to to-hit/damage/will saves can be rather more respectable.
    OK. I remember now why I thought that idea was sorta "meh". It's because the class specifically states "Dirgesinger levels do not stack with bard levels for determining which bardic music effects... a bard has access to."

I think that needs to change, otherwise my Song of Sorrow will be permanently stuck at the reverse-Inspire-Courage of a 5th level bard.

I dunno about Song of Bolstering, though. It's not really a primary thing, I have nooo idea how one would improve it, and I have sent Clerics against you. They just haven't had any undead around to rebuke.
    Fair enough. It's just reaaaaaaaaaaally niche. I don't envision ever using it, which always smacks me as a class feature in need of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    I'd say that if they advance vocalizations, then they advance Recitations/Anima, but nothing else. Not really sure that the Necronomist really gets much PrC support.
    That'd be the equivalent of getting more spells per day but not getting new spell levels.

Did you intend to retreat to town for healing, or will you be taking advantage of Mariah?
    Let's just use Mariah. I'll play her for another encounter since the new char is really far away.
    Last edited by peterpaulrubens; 2012-05-25 at 08:19 PM.
    The Good Reverend

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it's probably something you want to ask in the thread, or pm'ing the author.
    Satomi by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #261

Some other time maybe. I think I'm going to run with the Dirgesinger for now.
    The Good Reverend

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

No problem: just an option.
    Satomi by Elagune

23. - Top - End - #263

I've finally migrated Ryuu Tatsuhiro to Mythweavers. I tweaked skillpoints in the process, but nothing that's come up yet in either direction, I hope that's okay.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

My 84 year old grandmother was hospitalized. Rather than updating, I'm starting a 6 hour drive in a few minutes.

I might be able to find internet over there. If not, err, the next encounter will show up Monday-Tuesday. :S

25. - Top - End - #265

My 84 year old grandmother was hospitalized. Rather than updating, I'm starting a 6 hour drive in a few minutes.

I might be able to find internet over there. If not, err, the next encounter will show up Monday-Tuesday. :S
    Whoof. Best wishes! Take the time you need!

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Same. I hope after the drive it's good news.
    Satomi by Elagune

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hope everything turns out ok.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the sweet avatar.

28. - Top - End - #268

Hope she feels better.

Edit: who needs healing, and how much??
    Last edited by peterpaulrubens; 2012-05-26 at 11:11 AM.
    The Good Reverend

29. - Top - End - #269

Hope she feels better.

Edit: who needs healing, and how much??
    I'm at 16/127.........

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270

I'm at 16/127.........
    Healed you to full.

Who else?
    The Good Reverend