New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The World of Orastain [3.5 and PF, PEACH]

I am starting the creation of a world and would like help. This is not my first time creating a world, but I ask for help because I know that I am not perfect and your suggestions will be needed if I am to make a good campaign setting. I will try to make everything in 3.5 and pathfinder sense I am not just designing this world for myself, but if you are confused about a particular conversion then ask me or if you are DMing a campaign in this world you can decide.

Basic Idea
    Spoiler
    Show
    The gods in the world will be walking the earth with mortals in fact the gods themselves are semi mortal, but with many powers to manage followers and the ability to reincarnate if killed. One thing I want this setting to be is a place that can easily be described as brutal, knarly, and beefy (my players love this type of thing) I don't mean to make the world harsh and kill players I just want it to appear as such.

Magic
    Spoiler
    Show
    The magic system of this world will be different too. It will use the recharge system from UA but everyone learns to cast higher level spells a cumulative one level later than usual for each new level of spell. For example wizards, clerics, and druids learn 2nd level spells at level 4, 3rd level spells at level 7, 4th level spells at level 11, 5th level spells at level 16, and not be able to cast spells levels 6 and higher sorcerers learn spells with the same pattern except they are one level late. Bards will learn 1st level spells at level 3, 2nd level spells at level 6, 3rd level spells at level 10, 4th level spells at level 14, 5th level spells at level 18, and not be able to cast level 6 spells. Rangers and paladins will learn 1st level spells at level 5, 2nd level spells at level 10, 3rd level spells at level 14, 4th level spells at level 18. Magic items that emulate spells over 5th level are artifacts. Sense there is no conversion for this in pathfinder just use it as is.

Races
    Spoiler
    Show
    The main races are humans, medium sized fey (elves or dwarves), small sized fey (gnomes or Halflings), and primal fey. Other than changing some races into fey the new race primal fey are described below.

Primal fey
    Fey creature type
    Medium sized
    +4 str and *con*, +2 dex and *con*, -4 int and cha
    Darkvision 60 ft
    Nature’s resilience +1 on all fort saves caused by non-magical weather, starvation, or thirst and do not physically age.
    1 Natural armor
    Godless Primal fey cannot start with or later gain the ability to cast divine spells until there god is freed.
    Favored class: Fighter

Height 6’6"-7’
    Weight 310 lbs.-390 lbs.
    Age starting 12 + 1, 2, or 3 d4 depending on class
    Middle aged -
    Old -
    Venerable
    Max age 1000 + 1d%

(The *con* is +2 in 3.5 and + 4 in PF and there would be no specific class you need to be your favored class in PF)

This type of fey is normally a tall overly muscled fellows sometimes with plant or animal features (fur, tail, scales, bark-like skin, or leaves for hair) they do not physically age, are naturally grumpy, and dislike the attention of other races. This makes primal fey look suspicious because the whole race is under a secret mission to free their god Maxus the Strong from imprisoned by all the other fey gods. This imprisonment took place a long time ago and few of the currently living fey are aware of it. So the more forgiving primal fey don’t blame them, but from the new fey perspective primal fey have some sort of mystery grudge that they will not explain.

The normal fey are mostly peaceful the dwarves with their picks and axes are miners and lumberjacks, but they always replant the trees. Elves harvest wild plants and gnomes enchant the forest and defend it with nonlethal forms of magic. Halflings travel around trading natural products and acting as emissaries in human nations, and try to convince men to appreciate nature.

The leaders of the different human kingdoms also have plot controlling power. All the kings ether fight each other for land, take land from the fey, or develop their land. The humans also have the best technology and apply their knowledge of gears and mechanical things to build the finest crossbows and siege engines.

Monsters
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spinal Mites
    Size/Type: Tiny Undead
    Hit Dice: 1/2d12 (6 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 5 ft. (1 square)
    Armor Class: 11 (+1 Dex), touch 11, flat-footed 10
    Base Attack/Grapple/CMB/CMD: +0/-13/-8/2
    Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d2-5+1 dex damage)
    Full Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d2-5+1 dex damage)
    Space/Reach: 2.5 ft./2.5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spinal tap, Limb control
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., undead traits
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +1, Will -1
    Abilities: Str 1, Dex 12, Con -, Int 4, Wis 8, Cha 6
    Skills: Climb -2, Hide +13, Listen +1, Move Silently +5, Spot +1 (In Pathfinder the skills are Climb -1, Perception + 3, Stealth +13, Swim -2)
    Feats: Weapon finesse
    Environment: Any swamp
    Organization: Solitary or hive (4-20)
    Challenge Rating: 1/2
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: -
    Level Adjustment: -

Spinal mites have been around as long as most can remember and are viewed as a nuisance despite there slight bit of sentience, but who can blame them these creatures are better off being all killed. It is believed by some that Hudon controls these creatures and will allow some to control peoples minds as well as there bodies.
    Description: The spinal mite is a pitiful worm in the literal sense the only difference between it and a worm is its size and proboscis.
    Combat: If it is not stepped on first this little guy will crawl up your body and drink your cerebral spinal fluid then they control your nerves.
    Spinal tap (ex): During a successful bite attack a Spinal mite deals 1 dex damage and may latch on to a opponent dealing dex damage each round as a full round action. This ends when someone removes them with a strength check DC 5 or the spinal mite chooses to unlatch itself.
    Limb control (su): When a spinal mite is latched to its prey to make a DC 10 will save or lose the use of one of there limbs. The spinal mite then gains control of that limb, however actions taken by that limb take the mites turn.

Trundler
    Size/Type: Large Outsider (earth)
    Hit Dice: 10d10+99 (154 hp) (In Pathfinder it's 10d10+130 (185 hp))
    Initiative: -1
    Speed: 30 ft. can't run (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 19 (-1 Size, -1 Dex, +11 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 19
    Base Attack/Grapple/CMB/CMD: +10/+22/+19/28
    Attack: Slam +18 melee (1d8+8)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +16/+17 melee (1d8+8)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Trundle
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Beefy prerogative
    Saves: Fort +18, Ref +9, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 26, Dex 8, Con 26, Int 6, Wis 6, Cha 12
    Skills: Intimidate +14, Knowledge (geography) +7, Knowledge (nature) +6, Knowledge (religion) +7, Listen +11, Spot +11, Survival+11 (In pathfinder the skills are Intimidate +14, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature) +11, Knowledge (religion), Perception +11, Survival+11)
    Feats: Improved Toughness, Toughness x3 (In pathfinder there is no Improved Toughness and instead the creature has toughness x5)
    Environment: Any plains or desserts
    Organization: Solitary or pair
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Often chaotic neutral
    Advancement: Large (11-15)
    Level Adjustment: -

A Trundler is a sight to behold it can lift almost twice its weight, which is impressive for a creature of its density. They say they hail from the land Maxus once ruled and trundle the earth looking for him.
    Description: The Trundler is normally 9 ft. tall and weighs well over 3 tons it looks like a stone giant, but with a much more muscular compact build and browner skin.
    Combat: The Trundler is named after its one marketable skill, trundling. Trundlers trundle to get from point A to point B, for work, for play, for war, and especially for Maxus.
    Trundling (ex): Whenever a Trundler charges they move on all fours and Trundle towards their target. Because of there weight may not make a double move during a charge but may double there strength modifier when dealing damage.
    Beefy prerogative (sp): Trundlers are stubborn on the matter of religion they are immune to mind affecting effects that would persuade them to do something that is not manly.

Towns
    Spoiler
    Show
    Port Donnkeywrath
    Population:1846
    Ruler: Viscount Alester Salet (Human 8th level aristocrat)
    Laws: All of the following are punishable by death
    Nobody shall wear grey, Nobody shall lie, Nobody shall steal, Nobody shall evade taxes, Nobody shall evade work, Nobody shall abuse horses, mules, or donkeys, Nobody but law enforcers shall abuse others physically or magically, Nobody but nobles shall deny the viscounts requests, No commoner shall own arms or armor, No commoner shall leave the area ruled by the viscount, No commoner shall leave there home at night.
    Market: Port Donkeywrath exports are fish and Donkeys, really good Donkey. There imports are lumber and cloth.

The Gods
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hudos god of humans NG
    Hudos seems to be a detached god to other races not answering prayers, but human clerics know that Hudos wants his followers to take problems into there own hands, but rewards them for doing it.
    Portfolio: Humans Faith Willpower
    Domains: Good and luck
    Symbol: A heart with eyes

Filifit god of plants NG
    Filifit is the god of plants she regulates the cycles of planting and harvesting as well giving some plants magical powers.
    Portfolio: Fey Plants Sustainability
    Domains: Healing and plants
    Symbol: A tree

Gagog god of storms CG
    Gagog is the god of weather he makes rain, thunder, lightning, wind, waves, earthquakes, and volcanic activity.
    Portfolio: Weather Wrath Fey
    Domains: Air, water, fire, and earth
    Symbol: A storm cloud

Sathanak CG
    Sathanak is the wise god of the moon, but not strait forward at all she confusing and at the same time beautiful.
    Portfolio: Fey Knowledge Lunacy
    Domains: Knowledge and chaos
    Symbol: The moon

Hudon god of corruption NE
    Hudon wants nothing but followers, and his followers want riches, power, and followers of there own. Hudon fuels this greed in his follower to breed an army wicked cruel people.
    Portfolio: Illusion Control Destruction
    Domains: Evil and trickery
    Symbol: A skull on a pile of coins

Maxus god of strength CN
    Maxus is a god with unmatched raw power he is far less magic than the other gods, but more than makes up for it with his strength. He was taped by other gods out of the fear of being permanently killed by him.
    Portfolio: Strength Primal fey
    Domains: Strength (This is the only domain a cleric worshiping him can receive)
    Symbol: A fist hitting stone

The material plane is home to most of the gods the reason for this is because it will be the only plane, they may build a remote castle on a mountain, but you can still go visit them. Because of this uniplanar system outsiders are all native and are normally servants of gods. Elemental do not naturally exist, but can be summoned from a source of the element they represent.

The gods all have plans in mind that will affect the world the strength god wishes to escape his container and punish the gods that trapped him. The fey gods want to stop the god of corruption who wants to convert all worshipers of other god to worship him by corrupting religious leaders and kings.

Artifacts
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unigem
    The unigem is a long forgotten multicolored gemstone the size of a person. Only Hudon, Maxus, and Hudos know about it, but will probably not find it.
    The unigem itself is indestructible and grants the following abilities to its holder. Firstly any spell that is cast while you are in the line of sight of the caster with the fire, electricity, or sonic descriptor fizzles. The possessor also has the a +10 bonus on will saves. Lastly the holder may blast foes within sight for 4d6 divine damage as a full round action there is no save.

The Great Fey Wands
    The great fey wands are the tools of the fey gods they use them to help their fey followers, but each time one of the fey gods are killed there wand is normally taken. When this happens the other fey gods hunt down the murderer and take the wand to return it when the killed god reincarnates.
    Each fey god possesses a wand with 50 charges of each 9th level druid spell, and each day in the possession of a fey god one charge returns.

The Evil Conscious
    The evil conscious is not exactly an item, it has a physical form, a black rock, but it exists in some weird mental space inside ones mind. It was originally thought into existence by Hudon.
    The evil conscious causes its owner to become evil unless they make a will save every day (DC=1/day). When the owner becomes evil the evil conscious leaves its brain and becomes a rock. The rock grants the owner a +10 bonus to saves against spells with the good descriptor. When a non-evil creature sleeps within 5 ft. of the evil conscious it enters the mind of that creature

Flowchart
    Spoiler
    Show
    Beginning of campaign
    1 Start in a human city (This is a bit of an uncomfortable setting for primal fey, elves, dwarves, or gnomes)
    2 Start in a human settlement (This is a bit of an uncomfortable setting for primal fey)
    3 Start in a fey town (This is a bit of an uncomfortable setting for humans)
    4 Start on the road or in or a integrated settlement somewhere
    First quest
    1 Some quest not related to the plot (Go kill the rats in the inn keepers basement.)
    2 A quest related to racial tension (After killing some bandits you see a note from there boss telling them to attack fey specifically.)
    3 A quest related to the corrupt kings (After killing some bandits you see a note from there boss telling them to attack merchants and bring their goods to the castle.)
    4 A quest related to the gods (After killing some bandits you see a note from there boss telling them to attack, but not kill primal fey and bring them in for questioning on the location of there missing god.)
    Low level quests
    1 A quest introducing some of the new creatures I added (You find a ruin of sorts inside you find a gang of ______. (If you have any ideas for low level, but still quite scary monster tell me))
    2 A quest following any previously introduced plot (After interrogating the leader of the bandits you discover the king has been dealing with bandits in oder to exploit money from his subjects without raising the taxes.(if no plot has been introduced you should have started now.))
    3 Finish one of the smaller plot arcs (You finally find and kill the leader of the bandits.)
    Mid level quests
    1 Most appropriate time to end the corrupt kings plot arc (Your party and some revolutionaries expose that the kings are acting harsh and cruel behind the scenes because they are being manipulated by Hudon the god of corruption.)
    2 Continue a bigger plot arc (You help stop a battle between man and fey ether with might or words.)
    3 Give primal fey characters a clue on how there god might be freed (You happen to meet one of the fey gods greatest disciples and she wishes to end your intrusions in the fey lands to search. With permission from her god she gives you the rough location of Maxus, but not how to free him from his magic jail cell.)
    High level quests
    1 Most appropriate time to end the racial tension plot arc (Your party works out a peace treaty and ends most the hate between humans and fey or fey and primal fey.)
    2 Continue a bigger plot arc (To prepare for fighting Hudon you seek out the other gods to ask for aid while Hudon sends all types of undead and aberrations to stop you.)
    3 Do the whole "save a kingdom from a dragon thing" that high level characters do
    End of the game ideas
    1 Free Maxus (The god of strength is set free and you can convince him to forgive his captures or help him destroy them.)
    2 Stop the freed Maxus (Maxus has been freed and wants retribution. As 20th level characters you could give the other gods a significant amount of help in recapturing him.)
    3 Kill Hudon (This god is just plain mean, practically everyone that does not work for him wants to kill him, but be warned Hudon is almost as powerful as Maxus and much more clever.)

Any suggestions
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-24 at 06:22 PM.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: The World of Godstrot [3.5 and PF, PEACH]

I like the idea of gods on the material plane -- it's not something I've really seen in a D&D setting before.

Something about making elves, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings all types of fey strikes me as awesome.

However, I'm really not a fan of the name...I can't put my finger on quite why, but it just doesn't sound right for a world name.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: The World of Godstrot [3.5 and PF, PEACH]

The decision to put gods on the material plane was mostly flavor, but I also want it to be at lest somewhat possible for players to temporarily kill the the god of corruption bringing peace to the land for a number of years.

I was not set on the name ether and if you we can come up with something quick I can change it before the name locks. For now I changed to the first thing that came to my head.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-10 at 10:11 PM.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

4. - Top - End - #4

Default Re: The World of Orastain [3.5 and PF, PEACH]

I feel like you need some sort of lawful force, otherwise there is no Chaotic/Lawful conflict, and you might as well eliminate that alignment in your setting. However, that would be missing a great opportunity, especially since fey represent such a big role. I'd consider adding in more chaotic vs. law conflict rather than purely good vs. evil, especially to give your game more morally ambiguous situations.

Also, your new race is LA+1 in pathfinder. It may not be able to do tier1 casting well, but it gives huge boosts for melee-ers and combat divine casters.
    I have returned, and plan on focusing on world-building. Issues are being dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Thread won! I don't think I have the authority to do that but whatever

5. - Top - End - #5

Default Re: The World of Orastain [3.5 and PF, PEACH]

You bring good points. The lack of lawful gods is because of their "I do what I want" attitude, but I plan to add very strict legal system for the humans. The primal fey are fairly good, but the entire race is a plot device for the free your god from jail quest I may make them unable to be clerics sense their god is trapped.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-04-11 at 03:17 PM.