New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Why is it hard to pitch a good align drow?

So why is it so difficult to pitch the idea for a good align drow? I liked Elistraee’s fluff in Forgotten Realm and I noticed that Dervish Dancer archetype with Dervish Dancer feat was perfect for the theme (minus the Scimitar only restriction for the feat, instead of Bastard Sword). The most often response is that Drow are suppose to be evil, despite Elistraee’s fluff saying a small portion of them are not. The second reason is that they never work out.
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Why is it hard to pitch a good align drow?

Drizzt clones. Nuff' said.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

People see them as cliché. That's probably the main reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I'd imagine a lot of it is from the endless waves of carbon copy CG Drizz't clones that new players will often make. When you've seen hundreds of identical dual-scimitar wielding Drow, you start thinking all of them are the same, even the rare good-aligned, but fully original drow.

Edit: Ninja'd
    Last edited by Loki_42; 2012-04-14 at 10:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

You might be better off trying to avoid the dual-wield aspect of a good drow. For reasons that have already been elaborated on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

6. - Top - End - #6

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    You might be better off trying to avoid the dual-wield aspect of a good drow. For reasons that have already been elaborated on.
    I was, even the feat dancer dervish requires your off hand to be free to get dex to hit and damage for scimitars.
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

7. - Top - End - #7

Because people are unable to allow a character or concept to exist within a vacuum in a game.

Also: I've still yet to see one of these supposed "Drizzt Clones" in the wild, I'm pretty sure that's all in people's heads.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

It's not hard to pitch a good aligned drow, you just need to be creative with it.

Try something like a drow good aligned cleric of Estanna.

A drow woman who likes being in the kitchen? Didn't see that one coming..of course don't insult her cooking or you'll get a nice dagger in the face.

Given the right backstory and fluff, one can make almost any concept work.

9. - Top - End - #9

My old friend alway played Drows... He liked the race (Never really understood why) Was always Chaotic Good... not a Drizz't copy but certainly had his own flair... Everything he always did always keep us on edge and paranoid (Not because he was a Drow, because of the person RP'ing him)

He played a very good Drow... I miss that guy... Personally, I feel that if/when I return to play with my old group regardless of all the knowledge that I've gathered on Optimization he would still be just as intimidating with just sheer RP prowess

Anywho! A Good aligned Drow is entirely possible without being a Drizz't copy just try and be different from each other Drow... If you want to be a Drow Wizard, be a Drow Wizard. If you want to devote your life to a sadistic witch that thinks she is so much better then everyone else (Even though shes totally not), then be a Drow Cleric and if you want to charge around swinging a battle axe big enough to have the party making compensation jokes, be a Drow Barbarian... Since deciding to read through the Eberron books I learned that you can't simply say a class can't be something just because it "feels" out of place... Otherwise you'd have a bunch of Elf Wizards, Human Fighters, and Orc Barbarians and how boring would that be?

tl;dr Don't sterotype and RP to the best of your abilities and your Drow [insert class here] will be fine
    Cult of the Playground est. 2011

Proud owner of 1 internet

Cult of the Playground Highly endorses the ideals of the Tippyverse, World Optimization and "Paradise". its Clerics are encouraged to Optimize everything that they set there sights on. Perfection is our goal.
    to join simply copy this.

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy
    Has your party been checked for DWS

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin View Post
    Because people are unable to allow a character or concept to exist within a vacuum in a game.

Also: I've still yet to see one of these supposed "Drizzt Clones" in the wild, I'm pretty sure that's all in people's heads.
    Well, the first one I saw was my own, but at least mine wasn't actually a drow. Still a chaotic good elven ranger worshiping ehlonna while TWFing scimitars. I have seen others, though. Most people who get introduced to D&D through the series will at least think of making one.
    Last edited by Marthinwurer; 2012-04-14 at 11:19 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The biggest reason I've seen against good-aligned drow is Drizzt clones. The second is against good-aligned characters of an "evil" race. Cries of Mary Sue-dom end up falling somewhere between the two, typically.

I actually do like Eilistraee drow; the idea of benevolent and joyful drow make the entire race actually more interesting, and the cruel parts of the culture stand out more. After all, it's one thing to have an evil culture with evil gods because everyone is evil (with few exceptions). It's far different to have an evil culture with evil gods because the society just behaves that way, and some drow don't find it preferable.

I've had thoughts of a drow druid and clerics of Eilistraee, so I wouldn't say the concept is that abstract.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

As everyone has stated before Drizzt clones (and I have seen them, and when I gm for them, they routinely meet a grizzly fate {no i am not a perfectly neutral GM, and occasionally I do something petty}), but erikun hit the nail on the head with the Mary-Sue comment. I generally dislike anyone playing very evil races as good. They can be played well, but usually aren't. They could be neutral, and would be more realistic characters, but no they choose to be insufferably good, and devoid of real character issues to make them likable.

Also drow really suck, even with a whole book dedicated to them (DotU) they still fail to be worth 2LA(and a con penalty). You are better off playing an elf with a severe skin pigmentation problem than a drow (and most other elves suck too, so there you go).
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stabber View Post
    Also drow really suck, even with a whole book dedicated to them (DotU) they still fail to be worth 2LA(and a con penalty). You are better off playing an elf with a severe skin pigmentation problem than a drow (and most other elves suck too, so there you go).
    Isn't that why they invented lesser drow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    Isn't that why they invented lesser drow?
    Which also suck, though not as bad as their greater kin.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

The drizzt clones started during the 2e era. The +2 LA was made to stem the tide of drizzt clones that were being played back then. Judging by results mentioned in this thread, I'd say it worked.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

One of my favorite characters that I ever played was a second edition (later converted to 3.5) Drow Rogue/fighter and later Paladin named Dri'el do Mariador. Yes he was a dual-wielder, a Longsword and a Scimitar. The Longsword was an legacy weapon of sorts (Sword of Sharpness, named GriphonEdge) and the Scimitar (called FlameBreath) he had made for him.
    Although we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

17. - Top - End - #17

Because Drizzt.

Also, I don't understand why you'd even want to play a Good aligned Drow? Alignments shouldn't be a boundary to a good time, if you're group is mature enough to play Evil characters at all. Playing a Drow who must stomach her revulsion at being forced to work with non-drows so that they can succeed on their quest, and slowly warming up to her companions and becoming friends, gaining a measure of understanding and still being unrepentantly evil would be great. Tension keeps storytelling interesting, and there's nothing like conflicting idealogies and a willingness to eat babies to bring some tension to the table

Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    My old friend alway played Drows... He liked the race (Never really understood why)
    Probably because Drow are amazing

If it weren't for the +2LA, I'd play Drow all the time. And if Lesser Drow weren't so cringeworthy, I might even play them.
    Last edited by Golden Ladybug; 2012-04-15 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Because drow are one of the few races where I just cannot force myself to ignore the WotC fluff—and I hate the WotC fluff on drow. It's so dumb. Part of it, admittedly, may be due to the fact that my friends and I have this whole thing with drow . . . we have a specific voice we use, and this whole big stereotype that goes along with it . . . but goddammit, it's all backed up by the execrable WotC fluff, which we have to mock to survive. So yeah, I don't care if you're a goody two-shoes out to slay all the Drizzt clones in the world or a cackling spider-humping Lolthian, a drow's a drow, and I can't stand 'em.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe they're a foundling. Because of a birth defect, they were exposed, but were rescued by a kind-hearted </insert race here>.
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Because drow are one of the few races where I just cannot force myself to ignore the WotC fluff—and I hate the WotC fluff on drow. It's so dumb. Part of it, admittedly, may be due to the fact that my friends and I have this whole thing with drow . . . we have a specific voice we use, and this whole big stereotype that goes along with it . . . but goddammit, it's all backed up by the execrable WotC fluff, which we have to mock to survive. So yeah, I don't care if you're a goody two-shoes out to slay all the Drizzt clones in the world or a cackling spider-humping Lolthian, a drow's a drow, and I can't stand 'em.
    But that's the best part

Okay, maybe not quite as ridiculous as that, but I actually really like the Drow Fluff, so each to their own. And if the default fluff is what your beef with them is, Eberron Drow break the mold a fair bit, fighting Giants, being pragmatic and throwing Boomerangs at people, so that's cool too.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Ladybug View Post
    Probably because Drow are amazing

If it weren't for the +2LA, I'd play Drow all the time. And if Lesser Drow weren't so cringeworthy, I might even play them.
    No, in PVP I would have whipped him senseless regardless (Human Wizard Vs Drow Sorcerer/Spellthief type thingy, nuff said)

It was just how he played the character that made him so interesting... Whenever I play I'm always so distant unless I'm being forced into the center stage
    Cult of the Playground est. 2011

Proud owner of 1 internet

Cult of the Playground Highly endorses the ideals of the Tippyverse, World Optimization and "Paradise". its Clerics are encouraged to Optimize everything that they set there sights on. Perfection is our goal.
    to join simply copy this.

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy
    Has your party been checked for DWS

22. - Top - End - #22

Well, that has nothing to do with the Race, but more to do with the Players. And, depending on how he built his Drow Sorc/Spellthief, he might have been a bit more of a challenge than you think. Drow have some nice racial SR that they can bring to the table.

And anyway, PVP isn't the ultimate indicator of the worth of a Race or Class

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    . . . we have a specific voice we use...
    I don't have a specific voice I use, I just give them italian accents (except for one with an intentionally bad/fake german accent, it was funny at the time). And high elves get french, and wood elves get spanish. It happened because I was trying to correlate all of the languages to real world languages and therefore have a consistant linguistic structure. Since draconic is a common language of magical scholarship, it became latin (no I don't have an accent for that, I don't know what ancient romans sounded like), from their elven languages were based on draconic (read it somewhere, don't remember where, but it sounded reasonable), and thus elves needed accents from romance languages. Which elves got which accent was kind of arbitrary, but french high elves sounded right. Plus with italian dark elves I get to use all the mafioso godfather stuff when talking with them which added a nice touch, and thus the only other romance accent I could fake recognizably (note I didn't say well) was spanish and the wood elves got it (since they were the only other elves I was allowing).

After that common naturally became english (since most speaking in the game is common and my players and I are american). The ubiquitous scottish accent was picked for dwarves (not because it made sense, just a conceit to genre convention). I haven't had to go much further other than picking irish accents for faeries.

Wow a random little aside can get long quickly.
    My homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24

Personally? It's because everyone who wanted to play a Drow in the games I played would *Always* play one that didn't fit the fluff. True, there are good aligned Drow. But they're a minority. But if everyone who wants to play them plays good-aligned ones, it's like D&D vampires being consistently portrayed as sparkling Twilight vampires.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I think it might be fun to play a Lawful Evil militaristic drow, who finds the debauchery and decadence repulsive.
    They're still evil, just in a more calm, cold way.
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

26. - Top - End - #26

I think it is much more interesting to pitch a good Derro, or an evil halfling.

27. - Top - End - #27

One of my friends has been playing a good-aligned Drow... modelled after Fluttershy. The result is almost disturbingly adorable, the sort of military-grade cuteness that reduces hardened soldiers to puppylike complacency. It is awesome.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Because you haven't been playing with me.

Hey, I once allowed a half-dragon hydra as a PC - in the same party as a half-nymph drow paladin of freedom, no less. I'd say the closest to a Drizz't clone there was the human fighter/rogue who dual-wielded bastard swords and murderized via stealth. So long as there's more to the character than "Exactly like Drizz't", I'll let you try it out. Personally, I don't think it'd kill anybody if more DMs were like that. What's the worst that'll happen? It turns out really crappy and we have to suffer through it for a little while before I twist your arm and you make a new character?
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I have thought it would be interesting to see a sinister elf community (Moon elves?) raid a drow encampment and steal their babies. Later on these babies would be trained as scouts and assassins by the elves, and sent out to do SEAL-missions against the drow. I love the delicate nastyness of opposite Szarkai

I also think this could make for very interesting characters with the weirdest moral conflicts. Trained in the more sinister parts of a peace-loving society, and sent to kill people who look like themselves, but who they share no cultural traits with.

30. - Top - End - #30

It can be hard to pitch good-aligned drow both because some DMs are married to established fluff (there is a thread that the quote in my siggy links to with nearly fifty pages of arguing about that) and because a lot of folks want to go beyond 'unusual and exceptional' (a normal Player Character) and into 'I am the most special ever'. That being said, I do think there's a lot of potential for a good-aligned drow character, especially when his or her ideals find themselves tested by constant exposure to the worst sides of the sapient races - bigotry, prejudice, fear, mob violence and sometimes even torture.

I think the last good-aligned drow I played was the victim of a magical accident when she was an infant; she was teleported out of the Underdark and into a moon elf village (Forgotten Realms game). They raised her as one of their own after much debate, but she faced a lot of discrimination and prejudice even then. When she finally learned the truth of her heritage, she set out to find an Underdark entrance with little more than basic traveling gear and a tattoo on the back of her wrist that marked her as an elf-friend, innocently convinced that her real parents must be worried sick about her.

Fun campaign, all in all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig