New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread X: Playground Cosmic Principle

Having watched several of the video's, and listened to people who have played it, I'd say it's not much of a game. The story seems pretty good, and there are some truly amazing interactive action sequences, but if it had been published as a series of some sort, rather than a game? Probably would have improved things.

Sorry for the spoiler, though I don't really think it's that large of one.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Having watched several of the video's, and listened to people who have played it, I'd say it's not much of a game.
    Yeah. After watching it all (about three times), I feel no need to purchase it. It's some beat 'em ups and QTEs sprinkled into a season of a TV show.

Even if I do get the game, I'm going to watch the Part 4 DLC on YouTube, just because of how stupid it is.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground

While we're talking about games, I happen to be playing Kid Icarus Uprising in my free time lately, and a thought came to mind. Namely, damn if most of the basic equipment here isn't twice as cool as most essence weapons in Exalted. Evil eye sniper staffs, dual beamclaws that shoot the essence of light, Volcano Cannons... they are generally ridiculous, but in a cool way.

When exam time is over, I probably should get to translating a few of these puppies. I have had a few concepts that mourned the lack of a decent essence sniper in the game already!
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-05-24 at 08:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Out of curiosity do you guys do anything special about moment of exaltation? Greater access to powers or mote pools, sudden surges of traits above what they will be post exaltation, stuff like that?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Out of curiosity do you guys do anything special about moment of exaltation? Greater access to powers or mote pools, sudden surges of traits above what they will be post exaltation, stuff like that?
    I've never run through the process of Exaltation before, but I suppose what I'd do would depend on the situation. Part of me wants to say that - bam! they've Exalted; now they have to save themselves. On the other hand, if I deliberately put them in an impossible situation, I'd probably do something like all Excellencies running at full power at no cost.

6. - Top - End - #486

No. Nothing of this kind,only (sometimes) vision from UCS.

7. - Top - End - #487

Mechanically, at most we let the character perform things that will only be available at chargen, not when the exaltation just hopped in (chargen assumes you had an entire year to get used to your powers)

The rest is fluff.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Troll in the Playground

I ran an Exaltation for an Abyssal one time. Died due to overwhelming bandit raiders on her caravan.

When she came back up, I gave her a battle-long perfect soak, because she still had like 20 raiders to deal with. And twice death isn't much fun.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

By canon, I think they automatically regain all Willpower and that's it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground

When you Exalt, you regain full health levels, motes, and willpower. It's mentioned somewhere in the Abyssals book.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

The only Exaltation I've actually played through was...disappointing. Basically, I didn't really do anything important, due to largely being non-combat based. I exalted at a random moment that really didn't connect to my character, and then ran from the assassin's while the rest of the group did stuff(I had, like, Dex 3, Archery 1, no combat charms, and was unarmed at the time).
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

I've now played through two Exaltation scenes, but in neither case were we in combat at the time - in the first one we were in a tense situation, but honestly the sheer delight of suddenly having Solar dicepools + Excellencies + regaining all Willpower and Virtue channels was enough. It helped that we'd been playing as heroic mortals for quite some time; the contrast with even chargen Solars really is astounding.

The situation there was that another PC had just Exalted as an Eclipse in front of two Dynasts, after deducing that one of them was working for the All-Seeing Eye. The Eye agent ran away; my PC's Zenith Exaltation came when she persuaded the other Dynast that Anathema != demon. The very next thing she had to do was go on stage in front of an audience of all the Dragon-Bloods in the city (after tying a scarf over her shiny new caste mark), which promptly turned into a sing-off with the Midnight who decided to crash the performance, and escalated into dueling stunt-prayers to their respective patrons. She got a lot of use out of her shiny new Solar dice pools (In the meantime, her newly-Eclipse buddy and her soon-to-be-Twilight best friend were fighting the Daybreak outside the theater; it was a sign of things to come that we managed to split the party in the first five minutes post-Exaltation. Also to flare our animas in the first ten minutes post-Exaltation. Fortunately, the demon horde ate the Wyld Hunt for us.)

In the second case it was an extremely confused Autochthonian Exalting as a Lunar, after surviving "just lost half your air supply while a fair way out from home near the Pole of Oil". She'd already made it to safety, so her mechanical abilities were a bit irrelevant: the post-Exaltation scene was happiness-hugs with the friend who she'd risked her life to save, although of course the moment of peace didn't last for long.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-05-24 at 07:34 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    In the second case it was an extremely confused Autochthonian Exalting as a Lunar, after surviving "just lost half your air supply while a fair way out from home near the Pole of Oil". She'd already made it to safety, so her mechanical abilities were a bit irrelevant: the post-Exaltation scene was happiness-hugs with the friend who she'd risked her life to save, although of course the moment of peace didn't last for long.
    Wait, double-exaltation? Alchemical and Lunar at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Heh. Autochthonian lunar. I once did a fun thing with one where a casteless lunar from Xexas would have wound up getting permanent Dissonance rather than Permanent Limit from limit breaking within a Blight Zone, and would have become a truly horrifying chimera stalking the pole of smoke.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #495
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Wait, double-exaltation? Alchemical and Lunar at the same time?
    Didn't say Alchemical, the poster said "Autochthonian," as in, "a person native to Autochthonia."
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Heh. Autochthonian lunar. I once did a fun thing with one where a casteless lunar from Xexas would have wound up getting permanent Dissonance rather than Permanent Limit from limit breaking within a Blight Zone, and would have become a truly horrifying chimera stalking the pole of smoke.
    Please don't give my ST this idea She already hears the Whispers of the Void, we're likely heading straight into a Blight zone, and we don't even know yet IC that the Seal's been opened, so tattoos will likely take a while. (Her Alchie colleagues have no idea what she is: "giant striped rat mutant" is the term they've been using. No tigers in Autochthonia.)

And TheCountAlucard has it right. I meant "mechanical abilities" like game mechanics, not like Alchemical tech She was a heroic-mortal tunnel person before her Exaltation. The other PCs in that game are Alchemicals and just met the Lunar: they were sent out to have a little chat with the tunnel people about their trading with Voidbringer cultists, and why they shouldn't do that anymore.

(Fortunately, any intra-group tension that might have arisen from this situation was defused when the Voidbringers reacted to the Alchies' appearance by kidnapping the entire tunnel-folk community. Newly-Exalted Lunar really does not like people who mess with her Motivation like that...)
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-05-24 at 07:58 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

17. - Top - End - #497

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    (Her Alchie colleagues have no idea what she is: "giant striped rat mutant" is the term they've been using. No tigers in Autochthonia.)
    Dunno about that. In-setting, I'm from Claslat.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    Dunno about that. In-setting, I'm from Claslat.
    I'm so sorry for you.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #499
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, how well do you think an Alchemicals Werewolf game would go over?

At a rudimentary glance, Apostates could be the werewolves, the Populat could be Villagers, and the Adamant Caste would be the Seer/Oracle. We could make it a little more complex by adding in some more roles, of course.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

How well do you think a game of Exalted using the Legend system would go?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    How well do you think a game of Exalted using the Legend system would go?
    Pretty awesomely. But... with some caveats about what KIND of exalted game it is. Legend is a very flexible system, you can build pretty much anything in it... but it is a COMBAT system. Even more than DnD has even been. As long as you're fine with no one having magic powers OUTSIDE fights, it would go well.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnar View Post
    Pretty awesomely. But... with some caveats about what KIND of exalted game it is. Legend is a very flexible system, you can build pretty much anything in it... but it is a COMBAT system. Even more than DnD has even been. As long as you're fine with no one having magic powers OUTSIDE fights, it would go well.
    I don't think I'd be okay with that. Part of what I like about exalted is how the magic permeates every aspect of life and applies equally well to social interactions and engineering (among others).
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #503

So I'm wondering...can you get a tan in hell?

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

It can give you cancer, so I'd assume so.
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyway, yeah. Any more ideas for the theoretical Asura Devil-Tiger?

I'm considering his Excellency, might write it up soonish.

Not so sure about a Charm Tree, though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #506

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Anyway, yeah. Any more ideas for the theoretical Asura Devil-Tiger?

I'm considering his Excellency, might write it up soonish.

Not so sure about a Charm Tree, though.
    The main problem with such developments is that the vast majority of his capabilities already exist within Malfeas and Infernal Monster; becoming a DT is an XP sink from an OOC perspective.

Metal skin - Viridian Legend Exoskeleton
    Energy blasts - Star-Piercing Spear of Glory
    Wrath - Infernal Monster Form
    Extra arms - By Rage Recast (can't actually get six, but an expansion could)
    Monster form - Devil-Tyrant Avatar Shintai
    Etc, etc.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

I friend just gave me his exalted second edition core rules book. I've never played exalted before, and none of my friends who play nearby have, either.

So...what do I do about this?
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Banned

Read the setting bits, and then never go beyond that. Play in a freeform game free from the crunch of Exalted, and have lotsa fun.

~

29. - Top - End - #509
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    I friend just gave me his exalted second edition core rules book. I've never played exalted before, and none of my friends who play nearby have, either.

First suggestion: Gift it again and run away, and never look back. This game is an abusive girlfriend towards its fans .

If you do intend to actually stay with Exalted, then there are two things you want to do first. First and most importantly, read the fluff to get yourself familiarized with Exalted, without paying much attention to the exact details of mechanics. Then get the Scroll of Errata for free from DriveThru - because half the core book's mechanics have been errataed one way or the other.

And once you have a slight idea about stuff, you can try joining some internet PbPs, for some experience with the system. Here, or elsewhere, there is no shortage of roleplaying forums.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

Sell it and get Scion, no wait, get Nobilis instead if you want nothing to do with it.

if you still want something to do with it, play freeform Exalted and don't look at the crunch.

if you REALLY WANT to see the mechanics, get the scroll of errata first, and ignore the perfect defenses…..

but if you want, this is the perfect time to sucker people with the Immaculate Order version of how things are before they learn the real fluff or something.

but in general?

ignore most of the corebook crunch. its outdated. and the updated stuff isn't much better. just get some flexible simple system instead to convert Exalted to, which will give you a much better action-y vibe than the actual system.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".