New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread X: Playground Cosmic Principle

Hell, there's even a Charm that was made just for that reason; Elegant Executioner Stance.

I'll understand if you haven't read it; it's an Abyssal Charm.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Malfeas have mercy! Hipster Abyssals!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Hell, there's even a Charm that was made just for that reason; Elegant Executioner Stance.

Is Abyssa a DT, or what?

~

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    Malfeas have mercy! Hipster Abyssals!
    I was more just poking fun at Xefas more than trying to reference hipsters.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-04-13 at 04:53 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I'm not actually sure it's fanon anymore? Ebby's Tenebrous Apotheosis Shintai defines things like his body's base size, his base movement speed, his base soak, his natural attacks, his base health levels, and so on. If he doesn't have that charm, he isn't a dragon, even. I'm not sure what he'd look like then.

This Shintai clearly defines his Jouten. Which, I guess he only has one of? That seems fairly in line with The Ebon Dragon, what with doing things like purposefully not creating all of his Third Circle Souls.
    He's also got another shintai, which doesn't describe his form. Malfeas has two shintai, and neither of them describe his role as the Demon City or the Brass Dancer.

Jouten can be defined by Shintai, I'll agree to that. But I fail to see how all Shintai must define jouten.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

I would say the jouten-shintai for the default Yozis is a cyclical thing, actually. First a jouten is defined, the iconic appearances of the Yozis, then a shintai is built around that Jouten.

For instance, Heuristic Logos Shintai is most certainly the appearance of the form we all know and love for She Who Lives in Her Name.

Who incidentally has no other known joutens and no other shintais.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    I would say the jouten-shintai for the default Yozis is a cyclical thing, actually. First a jouten is defined, the iconic appearances of the Yozis, then a shintai is built around that Jouten.

For instance, Heuristic Logos Shintai is most certainly the appearance of the form we all know and love for She Who Lives in Her Name.

Who incidentally has no other known joutens and no other shintais.
    She ought to have a Mind-Hollowing Virus Shintai.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    He's also got another shintai, which doesn't describe his form. Malfeas has two shintai, and neither of them describe his role as the Demon City or the Brass Dancer.

Jouten can be defined by Shintai, I'll agree to that. But I fail to see how all Shintai must define jouten.
    The Ebon Dragon's second shintai, as with Cecelyne's is an advanced shintai. It is not really a different form so much as an improvement - while a GSP or Yozi with lower Essence might see the need to use the lesser one, a full-fledged Yozi would not. The Ebon Dragon is no longer forced to mimic his enemy but can take any shape to suit his purpose; Cecelyne is not a sand-spirit but an entire desert.

Well, for starters, Malfeas has thirteen jouten, so technically, the Demon Emperor and Devil-Tyrant Avatar could be among those. It is more likely, however, that just like Black Mirror's base form is not a giant dragon, so too are the given Malfean shintai incomplete versions of His Majesty's iconic forms. Since Demon Emperor begins with forming an Empyreal shintai and then collapses into a radioactive brass giant, it is likely the City jouten, with the E6 version being a Megazord piloted by the rest of the party, and the E8 version actually being a city. Similarly, the other given shintai is not the Devil-Tyrant himself but rather an avatar, something that is a mere representative, in this case referring to a lessening of Malfeas' stature. While this shintai may very well be the various constructions throughout the city, it would be a needless redundancy. Instead, I believe it refers to Malfeas taking on a human-sized humanoid avatar. The issue, of course, is where all the other mutations are. While this is merely speculation, I would guess that the E6 version of this shintai removes the side-effects of various mutations (gaining giant strength without becoming immense, for example), while the E8 version is something like Gackt Eternal Shintai.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Since Primordials are their Charm trees, I'm not sure the process would work quite like that. After all, they don't specifically have any sort of form without Worldshaper Assumption, and unless WA states they can change shape, they can't assume other forms without Charms, i.e. a shintai. I think you'd be correct for the primary jouten of each Primordial, but any other jouten would be created by the Primordial conceiving of a new form for themself, then creating a new shintai to actually assume that form.

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    She ought to have a Mind-Hollowing Virus Shintai.
    Heuristic Logos Shintai does allow her to use her mind control powers without having to hijack a manse first.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Since Primordials are their Charm trees, I'm not sure the process would work quite like that. After all, they don't specifically have any sort of form without Worldshaper Assumption, and unless WA states they can change shape, they can't assume other forms without Charms, i.e. a shintai. I think you'd be correct for the primary jouten of each Primordial, but any other jouten would be created by the Primordial conceiving of a new form for themself, then creating a new shintai to actually assume that form.
    I mean, from the OOC design point o view. The backwards way it works from this side of the character sheet. I do agree with the view that Shintais are the charms that define the joutens of the Yozis.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Heuristic Logos Shintai does allow her to use her mind control powers without having to hijack a manse first.
    *grumble* Then I suppose SWLiHN just didn't want to deal with having a hierarchy of Jouten. A hierarchy of souls was quite enough, and being quite enough, Perfect. Adding to it would be bad.

...There might be a Three Spheres Cataclysm shintai (or shintai upgrade) though. She did it, she can't un-do it.
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2012-04-14 at 12:52 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

It gets harder and harder for me to conceptualize necrotic Essence, much less the beatnik-shaped fonts in which it pools the strongest.

Although, for anyone that does know more about the Underworld, I have a question. The Underworld is a big greyscale analogue to Creation. Where in Creation is the analogue for where the Neverborn sit? Are they under Mount Meru?

12. - Top - End - #42

It gets harder and harder for me to conceptualize necrotic Essence, much less the beatnik-shaped fonts in which it pools the strongest.

Although, for anyone that does know more about the Underworld, I have a question. The Underworld is a big greyscale analogue to Creation. Where in Creation is the analogue for where the Neverborn sit? Are they under Mount Meru?
    Well, the Underworld proper is a copy of Creation, but beneath that is the Labyrinth and beneath that is the Mouth of the Void. Above Creation proper is Meru and "above" that is Yu-Shan. So I'm guessing it vaguely resembles Time of Glory Yu-Shan.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

As far up as Mount Meru reaches, that far down does the Mouth of the Void go.

In analogue terms, I'd say the metaphysical point of division between Yu-Shan and Mount Meru, tunneled that far under Mount Meru, is where you're looking for.

...Which probably makes the Mountain Folk very nervous.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

So, is there any reason you couldn't tunnel down there (obviously with some kind of Defiler-built mole-machine equipped with a cartoonishly large drill), draw and quarter a few thousand of the horrible protothulhu tentacle monsters down there, and open a Shadowland right in the Neverborn's face?

Y'know, just to mess with them?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Because if I was STing it, you'd open it up and drop a Neverborn Tomb into Creation.

Nice job breaking it, Hero.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Because if I was STing it, you'd open it up and drop a Neverborn Tomb into Creation.
    What are they gonna do? Bleed on me?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

The Ebon Dragon's second shintai, as with Cecelyne's is an advanced shintai. It is not really a different form so much as an improvement - while a GSP or Yozi with lower Essence might see the need to use the lesser one, a full-fledged Yozi would not. The Ebon Dragon is no longer forced to mimic his enemy but can take any shape to suit his purpose; Cecelyne is not a sand-spirit but an entire desert.
    Tenebrous Apotheosis Shintai is not an improvement of BMS. It defines one form, and does so in an entirely different fashion than BMS acts. TAS is entirely different charm technology, and calling it an advancement of BMS just because it requires BMS as a prerequisite is ridiculous.

Each shintai is representative of a core aspect of the Primordial metaphysiology, but it doesn't necessarily represent on of their jouten. You can say that it's likely all you want, that doesn't necessarily make it true.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

That terrible ichor was a vision of madness, each drop containing a thousand agonies, filling my head with the screams of the dead and dying. It was the vitality of that which was eternal, the life of the undying, and yet it was spilled, a paradoxical substance that drove cracks into a decaying realm with its every movement. I could not stand it, yet I could not look away, its very nature compelling me to cast myself over the brink and into that damnable tomb of a dying world, that I might end the pain and madness it inflicted upon me with the salve of eternal emptiness.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Xefas's idea isn't without a merit. On the other hand, I would like to experiment with Protoshinmaic Vortex ... by leaving one on a Neverborn's "tomb" and watch.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Because leaving the originators of Deathly Essence in close proximity to Pasip is going to have no issues at all, no.

Don't be stupid.

21. - Top - End - #51

So, is there any reason you couldn't tunnel down there (obviously with some kind of Defiler-built mole-machine equipped with a cartoonishly large drill), draw and quarter a few thousand of the horrible protothulhu tentacle monsters down there, and open a Shadowland right in the Neverborn's face?

Y'know, just to mess with them?
    Well you would be trying to open a Shadowland right in the hearth of the elemental pole connected with Stability a few thousand lives wouldn't be anything close to enough.

Also take care to avoid the spear of jade running through the center around there which splits everything into their component motes if it comes to close.

But other than, not really - provided you are willing to accept whatever consequences might result.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Tenebrous Apotheosis Shintai is not an improvement of BMS. It defines one form, and does so in an entirely different fashion than BMS acts. TAS is entirely different charm technology, and calling it an advancement of BMS just because it requires BMS as a prerequisite is ridiculous.

Each shintai is representative of a core aspect of the Primordial metaphysiology, but it doesn't necessarily represent on of their jouten. You can say that it's likely all you want, that doesn't necessarily make it true.
    A Primordial has no body, save when it is granted one by Worldshaper Assumption. Since Tenebrous Apotheosis gives the effects of Worldshaper Assumption, we can assume that TA is a body of the Ebon Dragon because it provides the means by which he creates his body. The basic technology is that his form is amorphous, being composed of living darkness, such that he is able to assume any form he desires. Compare that the technology of Black Mirror is that he wraps himself in an amorphous darkness in order to assume a specific form. It is a matter of scale - being the shadow of one specific person to being the Shadow of All Things. Thus, Black Mirror is a fragment of Tenebrous Apotheosis, which is by definition the body of the Ebon Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikandur Azebol View Post
    Xefas's idea isn't without a merit. On the other hand, I would like to experiment with Protoshinmaic Vortex ... by leaving one on a Neverborn's "tomb" and watch.
    Solars of the First Age tried to see what happened if they let one loose in the Underworld. It just sort of fizzled and died. That's why Eye and Seven Despairs needed to have the Balorian Crusade destroy all Creation, because he was trying to connect the Neverborn to the infinite whole of the Wyld.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Solars of the First Age tried to see what happened if they let one loose in the Underworld. It just sort of fizzled and died. That's why Eye and Seven Despairs needed to have the Balorian Crusade destroy all Creation, because he was trying to connect the Neverborn to the infinite whole of the Wyld.
    Good to know that we have a way of safely disposing of Protoshinmaic Vortices. I wouldn't want any potential explosions from improper upkeep, and I'm not going to use them myself- hearthstones and essence capacitors are cheaper and don't require such upkeep- so using the Underworld as a way to dispose my defeated enemy's Vortices is a good idea in my opinion.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

And besides, even if it does blow up it's just the Underworld.

Don't be stupid.

25. - Top - End - #55

I had one of those ideas I sometimes get. Could I get everyone's thoughts on a webcomic?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Really such unimaginative thing happened ? Sounds unconvincing but I would like to know where it is written if You would be so kind. And it seem to contradict with "Underworld overwhelms Bordermarches but melts in stronger Wyld, like everything else." vibe I got from other books about Wyld that I had read.

And ... why Raksha have to risk lives and limbs in Creation when Underworld is totally undefended in comparison ? It's not like Underworld isn't bordering on the Wyld just like Creation, right ?
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

27. - Top - End - #57

Actually, from what I recall, it didn't so much as "fizzle" as explode, but have it gutter out quickly from the necrotic essence-flows.

28. - Top - End - #58

Really such unimaginative thing happened ? Sounds unconvincing but I would like to know where it is written if You would be so kind. And it seem to contradict with "Underworld overwhelms Bordermarches but melts in stronger Wyld, like everything else." vibe I got from other books about Wyld that I had read.

And ... why Raksha have to risk lives and limbs in Creation when Underworld is totally undefended in comparison ? It's not like Underworld isn't bordering on the Wyld just like Creation, right ?
    Neph's personal commentary is the source for the Underworld overwhelming the Wyld. Note that Creation has the stability of Earth, but the stability of the Underworld is nigh-absolute. A raksha in Creation calcifies; a raksha in the Underworld is destroyed by its weight.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

It's exactly like that, actually. The Underworld and the Wyld don't border one another at all*, except in places where shadowlands and Wyld-tainted places overlap, and even then there's a little bit of Creation in between as a buffer layer.

The two simply don't mix. The Wyld represents infinite possibility, while Oblivion represents zero possibility. When they do clash, the Wyld tends to come off the worse for it; shadowlands remain stable (albeit warped) in anything short of Pure Chaos, while the Underworld generally stifles Wyld essence completely.

It's sort of a recurring theme in Exalted that stability trumps chaos. The Primordials were superior to the Wyld because they declared themselves to be a certain way and refused to yield or bend; the Wyld admitted that it was possible to be defeated and shaped by the Primordials, so it was. The Wyld is impressive, but compared to the Primordials and the Yozis and (to a lesser extent) the things of Creation, it's sort of wishy-washy. Very flexible, but less committed, and therefore weaker.

Generally speaking. Chaos surprises you sometimes, which is why ishvara.

*I don't think we know much about the edges of the Underworld, but the Compass: Underworld book notes that the black western seas stretch on forever. It's not too much of a stretch to imagine a similar equivalent for the other directions, becoming emptier and more featureless the further you go from the central Underworld. In the North the land drops away to reveal a vast gulf of still air, stirred only occasionally by whispers and echoes; in the East the sickly trees grow closer and closer together until they knit together into a towering impenetrable wall, she; to the South lies endless bone-dry wastes of grey ash.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

So does anyone remember Agents of Yu-Shan? That Keychain of Creation-alike that focused on Sidereals? The only that was mostly gags with little story and substance?

Well now it is being drawn by an absolutely incredible artist, and has a serious and engaging story. I really recommend it; even if you didn't like the old comic, this is a completely new one.

The old one is in the extras section if you are interested in getting some backstory; it isn't too long and it has some funny bits.