New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread X: Playground Cosmic Principle

Much as GWM and the errata do not include the means by which the Fair Folk can protect those they favor from the Wyld (despite it being a Core ability), there is no official Charm that I know of which can be used to invest power into a mortal.

The Scroll of Heroes does suggest such a method must exist, of course, since Investiture is mentioned as a means by which one can become Fae- (or otherwise-) blooded. Since it's a text with a certain aura, this may not be acceptable to all GMs (despite being the only text describing fae-blooded).

So you have two options:

1) Homebrew Investiture charm, which really should exist but currently does not.

2) One of my solutions.

Here's how you do it.

A) Be Essence 3+, with suitable Charms.
    B) Find a suitable mortal.
    C) With Behemoth Forging Meditation, grant said mortal 6 to 9 points worth of mutations. No more, no less. You can do this in multiple iterations or with an Oneiromancy.
    D) Grant your mortal Awakened Essence.
    E) You now have a (temporarily) free willed behemoth before you, one that can channel Essence.
    F) Tame the behemoth, making it your minion.
    G) Grant your new minion a full suite of Graces (Way is optional).
    H) Open one of your minion's Graces, making it a full fledged Raksha.
    I) Return the new Raksha's Heart to it.
    J) Duck the book thrown your way by the GM as you ask what happens to the mutations your former minion once had.
    K) Done!

And, of course:

Bone of Contention

There is a tribe of Raksha originating from the cold northern mountains that has proven quite successful at spreading throughout Creation. Large, earthy seeming and often nocturnal, these Warriors find a perverse delight in enraging those they meet and then feed gleefully on the ensuing indignation and bile. When threatened by the forces of the Empire, they retire to underground safeholes, only to return later and resume their old tricks, perhaps wearing a new name. Even when convincingly slain, they often come back later, seemingly unaffected by the smackdown they received.

Growing wise to their tactics, a group of Dragon(blooded) sought to hunt down these foes of civilized discourse into the depths of their Dungeons. There, they faced one of the great Trolls (for such is the name of the Raksha tribe we speak of), which seemed unwilling to fall no matter how hard it was hit. Finally appealing to their sifu, they gained knowledge from beyond the fourth wall, of a troll's purported vulnerability to fire.

So the great foe was cut down once more, its quickly regrowing body sliced and stabbed until the skeleton was revealed, and the full fiery might of the Dragons applied. Little did the servants of her Red Magesty know that to a true troll, flames are a source of strength, vitality and rejuventation.

Thus, though only the creature's Bone remained, it retains great power and is a constant source of meaningless arguments, warping ordinary conversation into vicious insults, and raising topics best left alone for the sheer joy of seeing normal people devolve into yapping rabid fans.

Which side is right and which wrong? The Bone does not care, so long as there is pointless fighting and ill will. Thus far, it has fed more richly than it ever did when alive, and seems set to gorge even further.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion - the Bone is utterly, categorically, and indubitably wrong about anything. Even (especially) when it agrees with you.
    Prince and Pauper Approach - anyone else talking about the subject at hand (or any subject, for that matter) is obviously biased and seeking to mislead the innocent public.
    Unitary Being Forge - every word, thought, and even syllable pronounced by those who disagree with you conceal vile calumnies about your essentially righteous nature, which must be denied at once and merit the most vicious verbal retaliation. Topic, what topic? Can't you see it's about them saying those unforgiveable things about us?
    Heart Stealing Kiss - trying to keep things reasonable when the Bone is nearby is manifestly impossible, and will consume your Temperance before you can even get close to starting the job.

I hope this explains how my methods work

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

Warstrider and The Unconquered Sun, flagship of the solar armada.

I am in glee.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Firbolg in the Playground

It is pretty neat.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

4. - Top - End - #574

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by masterjoda99 View Post
    On the topic of fair folk tomfoolery...is there a certain way for raksha noble or unshaped to take a mortal and turn that same mortal into a fae-blooded capable of learning fae charms? I don't mean just making little baby fae-blooded with said mortal, but actually making that mortal become a fae-blooded.
    Meschlum's methods are fun. But the truth is simple as that, books say nothing about inability to grant Creation-Born with Graces. Only limits seem to be ST agreeing to it. For some ST schools of philosophy say "that wich books don't explicitly allow is forbidden" while player school of philosophy tend to lean towards "what books and ST don't forbid explicitly is allowed".

Lets leave these fine gentlemen arguing under auspices of the Bone and proceed to Fae-mization of said mortal.

Once Creation-Born is granted Graces and have one of them Opened by a grace of a generous Raksha, the Grace-opening charm states vaguely that said Creation-Born becomes technically a Raksha wich implies ability to learn Raksha charms.

1) "I wanna be real Raksha !"
    Mortal learns Gateway of Sundrapisha charm and utilizes Waypoint in Deep Wyld to transcend his current existence and become Ushaped Raksha.

It is spoken that certain Raksha nudist going by the name Guy Fox is planning of making big magical gate that will grant this blessed state of Unshape to anyone crossing it. Even in the middle of Creation, for why should we limit our freedom ?

2) "I wanna keep my mortal side, only taking good cookies from Raksha jar !"
    Your wish is my command. And said Creation Born gifted with Graces might proceed to learn Fantastic Grotesquerie Shell charms until he or she is satisfied with Fae-Blooded mutations taken by repeated abuse of this charm.

Rumors say that training these charms by such esteemed individuals includes loving stares in small mirrors and blissful caressing of one's face while chanting mantras of self-aggrandizement.

3) "I'm a Solar and I don't need puny Fair Folk tricks !"
    Nothing stops dedicated individual from creating artifact that triggers such transformation. It was whispered among the luminaries that it includes Raksha Heart freely given out of genuine admiration of one's upstanding character.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    I don't know if you guys already saw this, but I'll post it here anyway: FearMeForIAmPink on the official forum has created comment files with errata for the pdf versions of the books. It's really handy. Check it out.
    Hey, I was trying to use these comments, but apparently my PDF doesn't allow commenting (who knew). Is there a way to change that so I can use the errata comments?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone seen a good set of Gaia charms? I know Friv made some Autocthon ones.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Anyone seen a good set of Gaia charms? I know Friv made some Autocthon ones.
    Jukashi made several pages of them. I'm not sure where to acquire the pdf, but I have it (although I don't recall actually reading them). I could put it up on mediafire or dropbox or something if you want?

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

What was Isidoros the Primordial like?
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Likely quite similar to what he is now: not all Primordials had as fundamental a change between Freedom and Prison as Malfeas.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Like this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

11. - Top - End - #581

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    From what we're given, there's one key difference: he can now feel doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I really don't think his English voice is manly enough.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Likely quite similar to what he is now: not all Primordials had as fundamental a change between Freedom and Prison as Malfeas.
    The Ebon Dragon is described as the least changed. And Isidoros is described (by Gensh' narration, at least) as basically "destroys things just by being there, super strong, chaotic" which is basically the same as Yozi Isidoros. So it's a little confusing.
    I finally get to see what that guy with the glasses is like!

*adds Gurren Lagann to let of mangas/animes I need to read/see*

...But are you talking about the guy, or the horde of boars? I'll just go with both.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-05-29 at 11:10 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

I was going with both. Why I chose the boar scene from the first episode rather than one of his other speeches.

Gensh: I couldn't find the japanese version.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

So, question. One of my players was complaining that the new sidereal charmset has been nerfed below Terrestrial level. I have looked it over but haven't noticed it as being mechanically underpowered. Can I get you guys's opinions?
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

My opinion is, that your player must have something wrong, cause the Sidereal charmset is actually playable now.

I mean Secrets alone can now look into the future WITHOUT needing other Sidereals. in my opinion thats a power up alone. now imagine what other castes can do…..
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

So, question. One of my players was complaining that the new sidereal charmset has been nerfed below Terrestrial level. I have looked it over but haven't noticed it as being mechanically underpowered. Can I get you guys's opinions?
    Their are some things that have been nerfed, but that's because they were either broken, or completely non-sensical the way they were written. Overall, though, it's a power boost, and they are clearly celestial tier. Can you find out any of the players specific complaints?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

I have no idea. I know from past experience the guy has a very different vision of exalted than I do (he thought Zeal was perfectly fine charm design), but I don't know the specific complaints in this case.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

I have no idea. I know from past experience the guy has a very different vision of exalted than I do (he thought Zeal was perfectly fine charm design), but I don't know the specific complaints in this case.
    Well, there's your problem right there. The man is clearly mentally unbalanced.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground

He may not actually be mentally unbalanced, but he's obviously got a majorly different mindset than everyone else.

If he thinks Zeal was a fine charm, then the only thing he considers Celestial Level probably is Obsidian Shards and Solar charms.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

Now, the Sidereal errata, is a mixed bag. There are a few charms that have been noticeably boosted, and other charms that have been noticeably nerfed. Some of the Charms are still brutally useless or redundant (you'd think having redundant charms in the smallest charmset in the game would be hard, but no), or turned from ridiculously good to downright hilariously terrible (Implicit Construction Methodology comes to mind. From super-duper-ultra-broken to "why would I ever buy this thing, again?" in one swoop), yet a lot of other charms have gone from terrible or outright non-working to being in fact very good.

Overall, adding it all up it's probably a power boost, but some of everyone's favorites took some hits along the way (Efficient Secretary ;_;), which may be skewing your friend's perception.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Shameless self-promotion FOR SCIENCE!

Over on the Exalted forums, there's been a thread about the depiction of female characters in the official artwork going since a few days back. The original request was to relate anecdotes regarding female reactions to it. That... didn't really happen.

Therefore, I started a new thread for that, and so far it's going good! If you're female or know someone who is, feel free to drop by and leave a line. The more participants, the better!
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

22. - Top - End - #592

Shameless self-promotion FOR SCIENCE!

Over on the Exalted forums, there's been a thread about the depiction of female characters in the official artwork going since a few days back. The original request was to relate anecdotes regarding female reactions to it. That... didn't really happen.

Therefore, I started a new thread for that, and so far it's going good! If you're female or know someone who is, feel free to drop by and leave a line. The more participants, the better!
    Really, between your thread and the original, there's a notable trend that it's not the women upset by the art, so much as those men with simulationist preferences who have issue with the art, particularly egregious offenders like Blight Internalization Transcendence aside. By this point, it would be of greater benefit and more inclusive to discuss how the art interfaces with society. America at least still has a watershed, and while the federal regulations are a tad excessive, having a bondage nun on the cover of a book is sufficiently jarring as to limit the game's spread. It must be taken into account that the game's largest potential market is also one of the most conservative in the Western world.

Just a general comment. I've not much to contribute to the original thread, am not female, and any real discussion on the topic is forbidden here.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Troll in the Playground

I gotta agree with Gensh. The first line of his post, anyway. It seems to be mostly men defending what they perceive to be offended women, women not being all that offended, and one or more (presumably female) posters who are complaining more about the aesthetic of Exalted not jiving with what they think the aesthetic of Exalted should be, rather than that the aesthetic is necessarily offensive.

I think you already know my stance on Exalted's aesthetic, insofar as "armor" is concerned. I played a character who wore absolutely nothing but a (ostensibly Irish) skirt. He was awesome. If that character had been a woman, I would not have changed her clothes, nor would I have expected her to be any less awesome. Why? This is Exalted. I can parry the moon with my face. Why should something so mundane and human as a half-inch of metal strapped to me be a necessity if I, as a player, don't want it to be?

But, more on topic, I actually had planned, this morning, to make a post in your thread, after speaking with two of my female friends (one who had played Exalted, and one who knows of it but has not played it) throughout the day. Both of their reactions were variants of "...why would I be offended by this? " which, I didn't think would make a very interesting post at all. So, I dunno - I guess that's two more points of data for you? Nothing particularly grandiose.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Dwarf in the Playground

Greetings, playgrounders! Here's a question for you : how much boost (be it XP or otherwise) do you give a dragonblood in a group of chargen solars, given these solars had access to 5 free excellencies and a free level of Ox Body for each dot in resistance they took, if you want said dragonblood to actually not feel like she's completely useless?
    Last edited by HerrTenko; 2012-06-01 at 09:13 AM.

25. - Top - End - #595

GnomePirate

The same free charms, that's a given. Also You might consider letting DB to have concrete role in the party and some sort of "infrastructure" provided by backgrounds. Give her cheaper charms XP wise, for example.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'd say give her 5 excellencies, free ox bodies, and just make sure she has a role in the party the other members have agreed not to trample.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #597
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

My experience has been that when you hear that complaint, what it actually means is "they nerfed the broken Charm I was riding all the way to the bank."
    Exalted developer
    Currently working on: Shards of the Exalted Dream, Werewolf 20th Anniversary Edition

28. - Top - End - #598
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Holden View Post
    My experience has been that when you hear that complaint, what it actually means is "they nerfed the broken Charm I was riding all the way to the bank."
    I can't thank these posts!
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

So, speaking of sidereal charmsets, anyone want to help me playtest them? I'd like someone to run a game I can play a sidereal in if you're up for it.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

So, speaking of sidereal charmsets, anyone want to help me playtest them? I'd like someone to run a game I can play a sidereal in if you're up for it.
    Might be up for it. I have one Sidereal already, but there's quite a bit to cover in the sets.
    Satomi by Elagune